DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Favorite WOT quotes

LuvURphleb

Hey everyone, im brand new to dragonmount- veteran from tor.com and wotmania- so aplogize if this redundant but looking for favorite quotes.

I get to be a memory keeper for sacramento and trying to think of some fun trivia but as my mind is blank i realized all my best ideas come from when i talk WOT with my husband,family, friends.

But as i am at work- surrounded by WOTless co workers- i turn to dragonmount for help.

Here's a thread specifically about funny Mat quotes, if you're interested.

As for more serious stuff, I was just considering making a thread like this. Some of my favorites, I'll skip some of the more obvious ones....

“The stone that never falls will fall to announce his coming. Of the blood, but not raised by the blood, he will come from Rhuidean at dawn, and tie you together with bonds you cannot break. He will take you back, and he will destroy you.”

This one still gives me goosebumps every time I read it during the way back machine in TSR.

“You’ll never know if you run away, will you?” Perrin made his voice hard and contemptuous. “I will keep my promise, but if you run, you might never find me again. Run, if you want! Run, and try to forget what happens here! All your talk of protecting people from Trollocs. How many died at Trolloc hands after you came? My family wasn’t the first, and certainly not the last. Run! Or stay, if you can remember you’re men. If you need to find the courage, look at the women, Bornhald. Any one of them is braver than the whole lot of you Whitecloaks!”

I remember reading this in TSR and thinking that FINALLY someone in the series said something flat out that needed saying. I still read it today and don't know if the series has a better example of someone flat out saying what needed to be said.

“Oh, Perrin.” Marin laughed. She actually laughed, with all they faced, and smelling of fear as she did; he wished he had half her courage. “We knew what you were up to before you ever put her on her horse, and I am not sure she didn’t as well. Women do find themselves doing what they don’t want just to please you men. Now you go on and do what you have to. This is Women’s Circle business,” she added firmly.

Somehow he managed to smile back at her. “Yes, mistress,” he said, knuckling his forehead. “Beg pardon. I know enough to keep my nose out of that.” The women around her laughed in soft amusement as he turned Stepper away.

Can you tell TSR is my favorite of the books yet?

I just always loved this scene because it summed up so much. Perrin asking Faile to leave to save her. Faile leaving to save Perrin, the courage of everyone of the Two Rivers, and Perrin even making a little joke and making people laugh.

And one of the propechies I just love because it sounds so cool.....

“We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
We ran to the sounds of the thunder.
We danced among the lightning bolts,
and tore the world asunder.”

And of course.....

"He came like the wind. lke the wind touched everything, and like the wind, was gone."

One my favorites is

The lions sing and the hills take flight.

The moon by day, and the sun by night.

Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.

Let the Lord of Chaos rule!

also near the top of my list is the 'Winds of the Rising Storm' poem.

My favorite however is

In the last, lorn fight

'gainst the fall of long night,

the mountains stand guard,

and the dead shall be ward,

for the grave is no bar to my call.

For some reason the Horn of Valere is fascinating to me. Especially that last line.

For some strange reason pretty much every single time I get into a bath I think: "Ara had
made the water hot enough that settling in was a slow process of luxuriant sighs."

And my favorite quote of all, the one I can't read without getting manly chills of pure asskickery:

On a day of fire and blood, a tattered banner waved above Dumai's wells,
bearing the ancient symbol of Aes Sedai.

On a day of fire and blood and the one power,
as prophecy had suggested, the unstained tower, broken, bent knee to the forgotten sign.

The first nine Aes Sedai swore fealty to the Dragon Reborn,
and the world was changed forever.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day

I also liked:

The Shadow shall rise across the world, and darken every land, even to the smallest corner, and there shall be neither Light nor safety. And he who shall be born of the Dawn, born of the Maiden, according to Prophecy, he shall stretch forth his hands to catch the Shadow, and the world shall scream in the pain of salvation. All Glory be to the Creator, and to the Light, and to he who shall be born again. May the Light save us from him

The "pain of salvation" and "May the Light save us from him" are absolutely chilling to me.

I was reading the quotes in Danjaman's link and it was going well until the guy who had to post a thousand quotes... It was about 'favorite quotes' not 'every goddamned quote in the entire series'.  Leave some for other people dude.  I know he isn't going to see this, but still...

"Perhaps that had nothing to do with a commanding presence, still it would be nice to possess a little more bosom."  Tuon

• 2 weeks later...

"Who are you to ask for a meeting with the High Lady?" Falendre demanded. She emphasized the title for some reason.

"My name is Rand al'Thor. I'm the Dragon Reborn." If they had wept at hearing Semirhage's name, the wailed at hearing his.

Edited by Whizbang

• 1 year later...

I actually kept a list of quotes as i was reading. I wont put them all here because I don't feel like rewriting the entire series.

Had Nynaeve and Elayne been cavorting with Jaichim Carridin and Elaida in the fountain beneath that statue of some long dead queen two spans or more tall and pointing to the sea, he would have passed it without a second look.
-Mat Cauthon, A Crown of Swords, Chapter 17: The Triumph of Logic

In his experience, old memories or new, there are only two times a woman admitted she was wrong: when she wanted something and when it snowed at midsummer.

-Mat Cauthon, A Crown of Swords, Chapter 38: Six Stories

Weep for Manetheren. Weep for what is lost forever.

-Moiraine Damodred, The Eye of the World, Chapter 9: Tellings of the Wheel

I'm only an old gleeman. Who could I possibly be dangerous to?
-Thom Merrilin, The Great Hunt, Chapter 34: The Wheel Weaves

Play 'March of Death'. Play it, unless you know a sadder song. Play something to make your soul weep. If you have one still.

-Rand al'Thor, to Asmodean, The Fires of Heaven, Chapter 42: Before the Arrow

You have made a place in my heart where I thought there was no room for anything else. You have made flowers grow where I cultivated dust and stones. Remember this, on this journey you insist on making. If you die, I will not survive you long.

-Lan Mandragoran, to Nynaeve al'Meara, The Shadow Rising, Chapter 16: Leavetakings

Just a few, chosen at random.

Edited by Al'Lan Mandragoran

I actually kept a list of quotes as i was reading. I wont put them all here because I don't feel like rewriting the entire series.

Had Nynaeve and Elayne been cavorting with Jaichim Carridin and Elaida in the fountain beneath that statue of some long dead queen two spans or more tall and pointing to the sea, he would have passed it without a second look.

-Mat Cauthon, A Crown of Swords, Chapter 17: The Triumph of Logic

In his experience, old memories or new, there are only two times a woman admitted she was wrong: when she wanted something and when it snowed at midsummer.

-Mat Cauthon, A Crown of Swords, Chapter 38: Six Stories

Weep for Manetheren. Weep for what is lost forever.

-Moiraine Damodred, The Eye of the World, Chapter 9: Tellings of the Wheel

I'm only an old gleeman. Who could I possibly be dangerous to?

-Thom Merrilin, The Great Hunt, Chapter 34: The Wheel Weaves

Play 'March of Death'. Play it, unless you know a sadder song. Play something to make your soul weep. If you have one still.

-Rand al'Thor, to Asmodean, The Fires of Heaven, Chapter 42: Before the Arrow

You have made a place in my heart where I thought there was no room for anything else. You have made flowers grow where I cultivated dust and stones. Remember this, on this journey you insist on making. If you die, I will not survive you long.

-Lan Mandragoran, to Nynaeve al'Meara, The Shadow Rising, Chapter 16: Leavetakings

Just a few, chosen at random.

And all very good, especially the one from Lan.

For all the times other people look at Lan and think he is an emotionless stone cold killer, the man has some of the most tragically loving words to say.

Not to mention how the first person in the book he seems to show even the slightest amount of care other than Moiraine was Rand, letting the boy know he supports him and understands his unfairly heavy responsibilities. 

Tai'shar Malkier.

For all the times other people look at Lan and think he is an emotionless stone cold killer, the man has some of the most tragically loving words to say.

Not to mention how the first person in the book he seems to show even the slightest amount of care other than Moiraine was Rand, letting the boy know he supports him and understands his unfairly heavy responsibilities. 

Tai'shar Malkier.

One of the many reasons he is my favorite character in the entire series

Tai'shar Malkier. Tai'shar Malkier indeed.

"Women are like goats. It's like . . . Well, reasoning with a woman is like sitting down to a friendly game of dice. Only the woman refuses to acknowledge the basic bloody rules of the game. A man, he'll cheat you - but he'll do it honestly. He'll use loaded dice, so that you think you're losing by chance. And if you aren't clever enough to spot what he's doing, then maybe he deserves to take your coin. And that's that. A woman, though, she'll sit down to that same game and she'll smile, and act like she's going to play. Only when it's her turn to throw, she'll toss a pair of her own dice that are blank on all six sides. Not a single pip showing. She'll inspect the throw, then she'll look up at you and say, 'clearly I just won.' Now, you'll scratch your head and look at the dice. Then you'll look up at her, then down at the dice again 'But there aren't any pips on these dice' you'll say." 'Yes there are,' she'll say. 'And both dice rolled a one.' 'That's exactly the number you need to win,' you'll say. 'What a coincidence,' she'll reply, then begin to scoop up your coins. And you'll sit there, trying to wrap your head 'bout what just happened. And you'll realise something. A pair of ones isn't the winning throw! Not when you threw a six on your turn. That means she needed a pair of twos instead! Excitedly you'll explain what you've discovered. Only then do you know what she'll do?" "No idea, Mat." "Then she'll reach over and rub the blank faces of her dice. And then, with a perfectly straight face, she'll say, 'I'm sorry. There was a spot of dirt on the dice. Clearly you'll see they actually came up as twos!' And she'll believe it. She'll bloody believe it!" "Incredible." "Only that's not the end of it!" "I had presumed it wouldn't be Mat." "She scoops up all of your coins. And then every other wonam in the room will come over and congratulate her on throwing that pair of twos! The more you complain, the more those bloody women will join in the argument. You'll be outnumbered in a moment, and each of those women will explain to you how those dice clearly read twos, and how you really need to stop behaving like a child. Every single flaming one of them will see the twos! even the prudish woman who has hated your woman from birth - since your woman's granny stole the other woman's granny's honeycake recipe when they were both maids - that woman will side against you." "They're nefarious creatures indeed." "By the time they're done, you'll be left with no coin, several lists worth of errands to run and what clothing to wear and a splitting headache. You'll sit there and stare at the table and begin to wonder, just maybe, if those dice didn't read twos after all. If only to preserve what's left of your sanity. That's what it's like to reason with a woman, I tell you.""

• 4 weeks later...