DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

BlueCon 2012 - Star Wars Discussion

Ithillian Turambar

What is the best Star Wars movie ever?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best Star Wars movie ever?

• The Phantom Menace
    • Attack of the Clones
    • Revenge of the Sith
    • The Cartoon Series of the Clone Wars (yes it's not a movie, but I'm going to vote for it anyway)
    • A New Hope
    • The Empire Strikes Back
    • Return of the Jedi
    • The new one that Disney is making ... I have a good feeling about it

bluecon-starwars-discuss.jpg

Welcome to The BLUECON discussion of Star Wars. During this week we will talk about all things Star wars. I will post a few questions each day, but of course feel free to add your own.

Remember that everyone is here to have fun talking about a great story that we enjoy. Be respectful of others opinions and let us keep it as positive as possible or I shall have to strike you down with the full power of my fully operational Death Star.

Today we will be discussing the Original Trilogy of Star Wars Movies - as they were shown in Cinemas. What are your memories of them? Did you go and see them in the cinema? What was your favourite part? Was there a part that made you want to hide behind a cushion. Which one is your favourite film out of the Original Trilogy.

The first one I remember seeing at the cinema was Empire Strikes back. It was an old school cinema that was basically showing the film on a loop, so I actually walked in and was immediatelt faced with the carbonating scene. I remember being quite scared. I saw jedi as a birthday present when I was in Primary School and was allowed to take a friend with me, The queue out of the cinema stretched all around the back! I remember being quite afraid of the rancor, but not really understanding what happened to the slave girl that Jabba the Hutt dropped in the pit.

I think one of my favourite parts is where Luke and Han rescue Leia from the Prison Cell, and also the ewok attack on the scout walkers was good. Can't forget the Noooooooooo! scene either. I remember it was big news back in the day, finding out who Luke Skywalker's father was.

My favourite film out of the original trilogy is definitely Return of the Jedi. I just loved Luke getting darker - in fact you see that his clothes change colour as the film progresses, from white to grey to black, and then his ultimate battle within himself. And I liked the ewoks too :biggrin:

Ok .. over to you:

1. Do you have any memories of the original trilogy from when they were out in the cinema?
2. If not, when do you first remember seeing the original trilogy and what did you think?
3. What was your favourite part?
4. Was there a part that made you want to hide behind a cushion.
5. If you could get rid of something from the original trilogy, what would it be?
6. Which one is your favourite film out of the Original Trilogy

1. Yes. I remember quoting A New Hope word for word one of the later times I went. I'm sure the people sitting near/around me were thrilled . . . :rolleyes:

2. N/A

3. "You know sometimes I amaze even myself." "That doesn't sound so hard!" I have to laugh every time I see this part! I loved the back and forth between Han and Leia.

4. Can't think of anything at the moment.

5. That annoying little cackling creature in Jabba's palace.

6. Probably A New Hope, although I really liked the Yoda/Luke scenes/interaction in Empire Strikes Back, too.

I am getting really annoyed with having to go in and edit EVERY SINGLE POST so I can re-do the paragraph breaks. They only ever work when I edit them in, not when I first post!

1. Do you have any memories of the original trilogy from when they were out in the cinema?

nope, too young. though my dad did take me to see the 1st one when it came out in 99 (1st in the series, but 4th to be released)

2. If not, when do you first remember seeing the original trilogy and what did you think?

that i liked Space Balls better *hides*

EWOKES!!!

Jabba the Hutt

5. If you could get rid of something from the original trilogy, what would it be?

dunno

Return of the Jedi. Ewokes, nough said.

I saw New Hope in the Cinema the opening weekend. I think I saw it a half dozen times. The first time I saw it we walked in and there were NO TRAILERS it just popped right into the movie. I had to ask my brother if this was the film. Then it was just going on a great ride.

Favourite scene in the original trilogy was Han solo getting frozen in carbonite. Leia "I love you." Han "I know."

The fisrt time Vader comes onto the screen. Then picking up the guy. I was terrified of Vader

5. If you could get rid of something from the original trilogy, what would it be?  All the stupid things that got added in the "improved versions" From the Theatrical versions I can't think of anythingthat is jumping out at me.

6. Which one is your favourite film out of the Original Trilogy?

Jedi. The whole part with Vader's redemption or at least helping Luke defeat the Emperor.

Ewoks are just brilliant. I've been watching an Idiot Abroad 3 - which has Warwick Davis in it as well as Carl Pilkington. There was one bit when Carl turned to Warwick and told him to stop going on like he was a proper actor, 'cos all he had ever done was be some 'bear' in Star Wars lmao.

Han and Leia are brilliant. I love the dialogue between them, it come across as really true and natural, unlike other scripts (which shall be dealt with on another day) but I don't have time to discuss this in a comittee lol

Nope - first one came out ten years before I was born.

I watched it with my dad when I was young - I was absolutely amazed.  First movie I didn't leave to get a drink or anything.

So many to choose from - the part that sticks out to me is when Yoda meets Luke for the first time - "MINE MINE MINE!" Also the part where Yoda lifts the X-wing out of the water

I was way too glued to the screen lol.

Hayden Christiansen replacing Sebastian Shaw at the end of Jedi

Empire!

I was very much not born then.

I saw them somtime around the thrid year of school, and fell in love with Star Wars. It hugely impacted my life from that point onwards.

Any and every scene involving Chewbacca

Luke kissing Leia. Not from fear, but just that every time I want to stop him.

Luke Skywalker. Don't get me started.
6. Which one is your favourite film out of the Original Trilogy?

Quite possibly Empire. They all flow together into one film in my head.

1. Do you have any memories of the original trilogy from when they were out in the cinema? Nope...I'm sad now.
2. If not, when do you first remember seeing the original trilogy and what did you think? I first remember seeing them when I in middle school.  I thought they were awesome and then I remembered seeing Leia's bun hair from episode 4 from when I was younger.
3. What was your favourite part? At the time I first saw them I would have to say the end celebration in Return of the Jedi.  Now I would have to say Luke vs. Vader on Cloud City.
4. Was there a part that made you want to hide behind a cushion. No not really
5. If you could get rid of something from the original trilogy, what would it be? The fact that the Empire was defeated by teddy bears...
6. Which one is your favourite film out of the Original Trilogy Empire.  It used to be Return of the Jedi when I was younger because I loved the Luke and Vader fight.

Nay.

I can't exactly remember the first Time I saw Episode IV. It's sort of something that has always just been there. As for Empire and Jedi, I believe I first saw them when I was six or seven. I don't know why I waited so long just to watch 'em. I always thought they were just cool.

I've always had a fondness for the space battle outside the Second Death Star in Return of the Jedi. Two close runners up would be the Luke Vs Vader duel in Empire, and the space battle for first Death star in the original.

The very first time I saw Empire and Jedi, I remember getting a little bit scared when Luke was hanging upside down in that cave on Hoth with that monster slowly coming towards him, and when Luke was in the Rancor pit in Jabba's palace. However, every time I saw those scenes afterwards, I just watched in awe because I know how both scenes turn out.

The Ewoks.

Empire. No doubt about it. Second place goes to the original film, third goes to Jedi.

The end celebration in Jedi was one of the things changed in the Lucas-Upgrade version of the films, more about that later in the week. I remember being a bit confused about the snow monster scene, as when it first came out you never got to see thr actual monster. Luke was just a bit worried and you heard a growling noise getting closer - and then a white furry arm sweeped across before the lightsaber ignited and you heard the sounds of him.

What is everyone's favourite Star Wars Quote and how often do you find yourself coming out with Star Wars One Liners?

And in addition to the above, we will now be moving onto Day Two of our discussion. Anyone who hasn't had chance to talk about our Day One points can certainly talk about them still.

Today we will talk about

The Prequels ... aka - the New Movies

1. How excited were you when they announced they would be making the prequels?

2. Did you go and see them at the cinema.

3. Did you see the Prequels before you watched the Originals?

4. What was their greatest triumph/biggest disappointment/strength/weakness.

5. If you could change one thing about them what would they be.

6. What is your favourite prequel?

I was so excited when they announced they would be making the Prequels. I remember sitting in the cinema and hearing the title music, and the audience just broke into cheers and applause. I just remember being enthralled by the fact that it was back! I did find Ja Ja Binks very annoying in his syntax and actions, and young Anakin could not have been more wooden. The dialogue was what let parts of it down, as it didn't seem to flow naturally. I really liked learning more about Jedi's though, and seeing the beautiful landscapes.

If I could change one thins, it would have been to have had someone give George Lucas a good shake and say, 'George - No! you cannot write the screenplay. It is just awful and sounds all wrong. People just don't talk like that. Honestly, I would even keep Ja Ja in if it meant the dialogue was fixed.

My favourite Prequesl is definitely The Revenge of the Sith. The transformation into Darth Vader. The sacrifice of everything to try and save the woman he loved, the requiem as the Jedi were killed and the battle between Obi-wan and Anakin. Oh my ... it was just brilliant.

And then the bringing together of old and new, with the appearance of monocrome sets, storm troopers and star destroyers. Vader and the Emperor standing together. It was just totally iconic.

Ok, over to you :)

What is everyone's favourite Star Wars Quote and how often do you find yourself coming out with Star Wars One Liners?

The Prequels ... aka - the New Movies

5. If you could change one thing about them what would they be.

"I've got a bad feeling about this.", plus using the jedi hand waving thing like in "these are not the droids you are looking for"

1. I was very excited about the prospect of the prequels. I mean more Star Wars. How could it not be awesome? I imagine this is similar to what some are feeling about The Hobbit films now. A return to a beloved film franchise.

2. I saw them as soon as I could at the cinema. One I think I even went after working a long shift cause I wanted to see it as soon as I could. The crowds were awesome and even though the films weren't as great as hoped for they were still very enjoyable just to see more of the world.

3. I saw the originals in Cinema also so that would be no.

4. The triumph of the prequels was to get to see the various worlds that we hadn't yet. also to get as many of the ties from the past to the originals

5. JarJar...

6. Return of the Sith. Seeing anakin on the table being transformed into Vader was awesome. The emotional conversion that he went through was great too but the visual of seeing him become the dreaded Lord Vader that was so scary to me as a child.

1. Do you have any memories of the original trilogy from when they were out in the cinema? no... too young...
2. If not, when do you first remember seeing the original trilogy and what did you think? I dont remember, but my dad has had them for a LONG time... I watched them at home... I have always loved them.
3. What was your favourite part? (Dreaming of) Flying a X-wing
4. Was there a part that made you want to hide behind a cushion.  That information is confidential... (sides, i hade behind a cusion in MOST movies...)
5. If you could get rid of something from the original trilogy, what would it be? Nothing...
6. Which one is your favourite film out of the Original Trilogy  there was no ALL option... I love them all, though the space battles are FUN!!

1. How excited were you when they announced they would be making the prequels? Very... I loved starwars! :)
2. Did you go and see them at the cinema.  We went to episode I to the theaters... and my mom hated it (because Darth Maul was so evil)... she didnt let us watch the others, though I sneaked it at friends houses.
3. Did you see the Prequels before you watched the Originals? no.
4. What was their greatest triumph/biggest disappointment/strength/weakness. I loved the Clone Wars battle starting, especially the Arena scene... very epic when the Jedi stand up all around the stadium.
5. If you could change one thing about them what would they be.  Nothing... i just dont care to change things (except hunger games, it needs a new ending)
6. What is your favourite prequel? all of them! :P

1. Do you have any memories of the original trilogy from when they were out in the cinema? I wasn't even born yet.... :laugh:
2. If not, when do you first remember seeing the original trilogy and what did you think? When I was four, my dad showed my brother and me and we instantly fell in love and would constantly have lightsaber battles... or reenact scenes from the movie...
3. What was your favourite part? too many, it's impossible for me to have favorites.
4. Was there a part that made you want to hide behind a cushion. when I first watched it... probably when the Emperor was electrocuting Luke...
5. If you could get rid of something from the original trilogy, what would it be? romance between Leia and Luke.... no, just no...
6. Which one is your favourite film out of the Original Trilogy? Return of the Jedi.... it just got me some how, they were all good, but Return of the Jedi was my aboslute favorite!

1. Do you have any memories of the original trilogy from when they were out in the cinema? - No. I wasn't even born then.
2. If not, when do you first remember seeing the original trilogy and what did you think? - I remember seeing it at my cousin's house.  I used to think it was something that no one watched, but when I saw it, I instantly fell in love with it, it was so great.
3. What was your favourite part? - This is definitely hard, there's a lot.  I'm going to either go with escaping from Jabba the Hutt or taking out the deflector shield in the last movie.
4. Was there a part that made you want to hide behind a cushion. - Uhhh, no.
5. If you could get rid of something from the original trilogy, what would it be? - Like Time said, no romance between Leia and Luke...
6. Which one is your favourite film out of the Original Trilogy - Definitely Return of the Jedi, although Empire Strikes Back is very close.

1. How excited were you when they announced they would be making the prequels? - Still didn't know about it.
2. Did you go and see them at the cinema. - No.
3. Did you see the Prequels before you watched the Originals? - Oh thank god no, thank my cousin for doing that.
4. What was their greatest triumph/biggest disappointment/strength/weakness.  - Showing Anakin go crazy/JarJar/good fight scenes/everything else. :tongue:
5. If you could change one thing about them what would they be. - Like Turin said, please for gods sakes kill JarJar the moment he gets on camera
6. What is your favourite prequel? - Revenge of the Sith.

Ja Ja definitely polarises opinions, a little bit like Tom Fol-de-rol in LotR, but I mustn't cross the streams :wink: ... and he is just the symptom of a much bigger thing, and that is what we will discuss today.

The Lucas-ing of Star Wars and New Visitors to the Star Wars World

1. Where should people who have never seen Star Wars start - what order should they watch the movies in?

2. Are the various animated characters a necessary part of capturing the younger audience's attention?

3. Have you seen the original cinema version of the original movies (pre CGI)? If not, would you like to?

4. Should George Lucas have made the last round of changes to the films that he did, to make them more child friendly. The Muppet Singing Scene in Jabba's Palace and the extra StormTroopers in Cloud City, for example?

5. Were there any scenes you wished hadn't happened at all?

6. Did he need to make the films more 'funny' or should he have just left them alone?

I had this dilema recently as I have two small boys. My eldest began Star Wars lessons when he was about 3 months old and we have the video of him throwing up as the begining titles rolled. Thankfully his interest in Star Wars grew, and I think he did watch New Hope first, and then Empire and then Jedi. I think he watched Clones and Sith afterwards and eventually Phantom Menace came on the telly and he watched that. As predicted, he really liked Jar Jar Binks because he talks funny :rolleyes:

Of course he knew who Anakin was in relation to Darth Vader, as his favourite Alphabet book was the Star Wars one. And he knows all about getting your arm chopped of and can do all the lightsabering your heart could wish for. So, he LIKES all the new and funny bits. Perhaps I am just being a grump, but I still feel a bit weird when I see changes to the films I love - like the loss of the yub nub song at the end of Jedi - and the ridiculous muppet song in Jabba's Palace that just destroys any tension there was in that part. I can remember being scared there, my sons will remember a song and dance act with big teeth. But it's their memory so that will be ok.

I do think that I enjoyed them perfectly well as a child, even with the scary and serious bits. The amount of humour in them was already ok. The films were already loved. Yes, by almeans clean up the images - but all these extra bits? Who was he really doing it for?

Speaking of starwars... this is hilarious!!!

1. Where should people who have never seen Star Wars start - what order should they watch the movies in? the old three, and then the from epidode 1-6.  To catch the difference in quality (due to age of the film) and understand the difference in their universes.
2. Are the various animated characters a necessary part of capturing the younger audience's attention?  no, i dont think so.
3. Have you seen the original cinema version of the original movies (pre CGI)? If not, would you like to?  No, sure!
4. Should George Lucas have made the last round of changes to the films that he did, to make them more child friendly. The Muppet Singing Scene in Jabba's Palace and the extra StormTroopers in Cloud City, for example?   .... >.> didnt know they were new....
5. Were there any scenes you wished hadn't happened at all?  Nope.
6. Did he need to make the films more 'funny' or should he have just left them alone?  Everything can be funnier (Unless you make it crude or crass)

I was unaware of them entirely. Too young.

Again, too young.

I had watched snippets of the Originals, but I was the Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones before a full viewing of the Original Trilogy.

Qui-Gon or the Wookiee scenes/Jar Jar, the pathetic whinyness of Anakin(Like father, like son)/the battles were very well done/Attack of the Clones
5. If you could change one thing about them what would that be.

I would have more Wookiee involvement.

The Phantom Menace. Qui-Gon is my second favourite Star Wars character of all time, second only to Chewbacca

1. Where should people who have never seen Star Wars start - what order should they watch the movies in?

I don't know. The story makes more sense to go from prequels to originals, plus, the film quality goes up as you watch!
2. Are the various animated characters a necessary part of capturing the younger audience's attention?

Yoda's animations was an improvement, but the Gungans were annoying as a species. I think if they don't like Star Wars for Star Wars, pooh for them!
3. Have you seen the original cinema version of the original movies (pre CGI)? If not, would you like to?

No I have not. I don't think so at least.
4. Should George Lucas have made the last round of changes to the films that he did, to make them more child friendly. The Muppet Singing Scene in Jabba's Palace and the extra StormTroopers in Cloud City, for example?

I'm not even sure I know the Muppet Singing scene. Is that Max Reemo's band playing, with the creepy lip alien? Because that alien should be wiped from existence.
5. Were there any scenes you wished hadn't happened at all?

See above
6. Did he need to make the films more 'funny' or should he have just left them alone?

I'm not sure, I haven't seen the theatrical versions of the Originals.

1. Where should people who have never seen Star Wars start - what order should they watch the movies in? I would suggest either A New Hope or the Phantom Menace, but probably A New Hope would be best.
2. Are the various animated characters a necessary part of capturing the younger audience's attention? Yoda, Darth Vader, Luke, Leia, Han, Chewbacca, and Ewoks from the originals. Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Anakin, Padme, Jar Jar Binks, Yoda, and Darth Maul.
3. Have you seen the original cinema version of the original movies (pre CGI)? If not, would you like to? No, but I would. I take that back, I did when I was reeaallly little... the only one I really remember is Return of the Jedi..
4. Should George Lucas have made the last round of changes to the films that he did, to make them more child friendly. The Muppet Singing Scene in Jabba's Palace and the extra StormTroopers in Cloud City, for example? Umm... no i don't think so...
5. Were there any scenes you wished hadn't happened at all? Yeah, Luke kissing Leia
6. Did he need to make the films more 'funny' or should he have just left them alone? left them alone....

Archived