DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

To Become Aes Sedai (Attn: Kathleen)

Silver Neccho

Finally. Kastyana let out the remaining air in her lungs. To become Aes Sedai. The thought alone unnerved her. She had been shocked when her mother had given her leave. It helped that an Aes Sedai had been on hand to explain the situation. But to really be here, almost at the city gates, her world never had felt so vast.

Her horse, Vashti, had long since ceased protesting the long journey. It was her mother's favorite horse. It must really break her heart to know that we may never meet again. From the little that she did know, it wasn't hard to deduce that training at the Tower may take years. I might be a wrinkly old woman by the time I am finished. She looked at the Aes Sedai riding next to her; the woman appeared a paradox, her age seemed quite indeterminable. Gazing ahead she gave a start. The city gates had seemingly raced forward to greet her. Turning back to the woman beside her it occurred to her that she did not know the woman's name. Maybe I have forgotten?

The city doesn't quite look the way it did when I was here last. Something about the city seemed off. Is it because I really belong here? Or that I did not run away this time and it all seems out of my control? Grunting she stared quietly at the Aes Sedai, almost willing her to speak. Doesn't she know that I have questions? This woman could be a rock for all the words she has spoken on this trip.

"Uh, Aes Sedai, I am frightened. What will happen to me here"?

Trembling, Kastyana couldn't help but shed a tear for her home. Mother, I will miss you and wish you the best in life. The tears began to increase before she grimaced and wiped them away. I cannot allow them, not now.

Edited by Silver Neccho

Kathleen's eyes sparkled at the site of the White Tower rising before her as it came into view. That sight never lost the magic she had seen in it the first time she spied it. Though the reasons for its magnificence had changed almost every time she saw it. From the first time it climbed up before her on the horizon, when she hadn't truly believed the stories of the building's existence,  to the first time she recognized it as her home, riding toward it in her return from being unwilling taken from it in her Accepted days, to the many times she saw it rising before her after having been sure during a battle days before that she would never see those shining walls again, the place always seemed to bring some new level of joy to her. This time she swelled with the pride of returning to a place of acceptance and getting to share this moment of homecoming with the girl traveling with her.

She hadn't been in Far Madding long, just long enough to gain the permission of the girl's mother and get them back out of the unnatural place, but it had felt good to pass out of the reach of that place. It wasn't her first trip there and she was sure it wouldn't be her last. The trip had been a relatively quiet one; Kathleen tried to give the girl her space to sort through the tremendous adjustment to leaving home. 

As they neared the gates it seemed the reality had finally hit her. Kastyana stopped her horse and spoke to the Green a mix of wonder and fear in her voice. Kathleen starved off a laugh, settling her mount near the girl's. Leaving the questions a little late aren't you? she only thought the quip; the girl didn't need that kind of talk of now. "Your whole life changes today, child; nerves are to be expected. But your life has had many a major overhaul before, I'm sure, and you've adjusted. As for what will happen to you here, you will become who you are, whatever that is."  

Kathleen held her horse steady giving the girl the chance to ask more questions to steady her nerves, or to gather herself and prepare to start her new life. This was not something Kathleen wanted to rush onto the girl. It would be better for her if she believed she was entering the tower on her own terms.

~ Kathleen

Aes Sedai of the Green Ajah

Composing her self once more, Kastyana drew her lungs to capacity and sighed. She thinks I am weak, I must not let my emotions show.

Looking back at the city she gasped as the light of the day hit the Tower. It was more beautiful than she had remembered. She shook herself as a shiver went up her spine.

How could I fear something so pristine? Her body relaxed visibly as some of her fear subsided. She put her hand on her back and grimaced. Stupid back, all this fear has put it in knots.

Glancing at the Aes Sedai she took in the the face of the woman. Her eyes betray her air of controlled emotions, she is happy, no, joyful to be returning home.

Looking back at the city she was surprised to see they were not but a pace from the gates.

"Aes Sedai, what is your name? You are the first I have met and I will remember you while training. I will be Aes Sedai and you are my model"

For the first time in a long while, Kastyana smiled.

~ Silver Neccho

Kastyana of Far Madding

"My name is Kathleen Sedai" she replied, keeping her tone light while catching the eye of girl.

"I appreciate your intention child, but I am only one of many in those halls. You would be wise to study your options and learn more of the ones you wish to model. All I have shown you is my ability to ride a horse and find a roof for our heads as we trot calmly down roads I could travel with a blindfold." 

Kathleen tried to keep from sounding like a lecturer, or from taking away from the girl's intended compliment,which had pleased her, despite the naivety in it. Her tone held its airy way, shadowing the message she hope would make it through, in a play at being off hand about it.

"There is more to the world than what you see at first glance. You would be wise to look past the shine of the gold to see the chips and scratches. Only when you see those things, should you decide that you wish to jump into the mold that made them. Do not ever forget that you can shape your own mold. Find what you like and forge yourself into your own bright creation."

The Green knew there were many women in that tower waiting to shape this girl to their visions for her. Kathleen knew the girl would come to see that too someday, but the time it took was individual. She only hoped the girl would heed her words and realize this sooner than later, hopefully with enough time to put a little of herself into the making of the molded Aes Sedai she would become. 

Today was not for such jaded things though, today was the day of beginnings, joy and excitement and it was far from over for the girl who still had yet to be added to the novice book, take on the white dress and find her rooms. 

"I do hope my presence on your journey will continue to be a pleasant experience as you look back on it in years to come" the Aes Sedai reassured with a small smile falling onto her face. "Come now, you'll wish to get settled and Valeri Sedai will have much to tell you before you can rest today. If you have further questions, you may ask as we make our way to her. After that, you have my name and you can find me in the Green halls, if you do not see me elsewhere."

Kathleen

Kastyana followed Kathleen Aes Sedai into the city. Upon entrance to the city her smile turned into that of awe. To her left was a beautifully wooded park, one could relax in such a place. Looking up at the sun she determined that they would approach the Tower from the southeast.

The pair moved at a moderate pace down the avenue with Kastyana attempting to peer at everything around her all at once. This place is even more beautiful than Caemlyn. As they continued to glide by, Kastyana continued staring until she became aware of the White Tower growing in size as they moved closer. The sun reflecting off the Tower surface caused the very stones to faintly glow.

As they entered the grounds Kastyana reigned her horse in and dismounted. I wonder if all the others know that I am already here? There was ample time to send word ahead. She looked back to the Tower and saw two figures heading in her direction, who they were and what they looked like was shrouded in the sunlight. Turning around she measured the courtyard and placed the paths and exits firmly in her mind. Bending over to secure her left shoe she gasped as a burst of wind knocked her down to the ground.

"Aes Sedai, I will be given new clothes, shan't I? I am as ready as I will ever be to enter the Tower but this dress will never do long in this state."

Smiling she got on her feet and laughed. What happened to my fear? Could I be so distant from my old life already?

Kathleen climbed off her horse with ease as she entered the Tower Grounds and motioned for the girl to do the same. She wasn't sure until the girl was climbing off her own that the message had been recieved through the shock the girl was clearly in. The Green patted her mount's nose and giving the girl a moment to take it all in and come back to herself.

Kathleen looked up at the girl as she heard her drop to the ground. Kathleen thought the ride must have taken more out of the girl than she had expected. As she approached her to give the girl a hand up Kastyana spoke. The words were not what the Aes Sedai expected from the girl just knocked to the ground, and Kathleen let a small smile fell onto her face. 

"Do not worry about about your dress, child. We won't have a novice running about the Tower in tatters. If you will it, the dress can be mended, but you will be fitted into something more practical to see you through when you're done with my sister Valeri Sedai today."

Kathleen started to think of all things she could have been telling this girl as they traveled. She could have been preparing her for what life as a novice was going to be like. But she had not wanted to take away from this girl's experience of wonder at the unknown. Had that been doing the girl a disservice or had it been the right move?

It was Valeri's job to inform the girl of all that being a Novice meant after all. Learning the rules and exceptions from the Mistress of Novices would instill a sense of duty of authority to her, as this girl should have. That is why Kathleen had decided against filling her in sooner. Still, she wondered how she would be evaluated when this girl walked into that office saying she had traveled all this way with the Aes Sedai and wasn't told an ounce about what she was getting herself into.

It is not my job to inform every girl who walks the streets of the world on how the White Tower works. This girl is not yet a Novice. That will up to Valeri. It is merely my job to find the child and see that she makes her way to Valeri's office in one piece.  I will do that job and let Valeri do hers. 

When the girl was back on her feet and both had hold on the reigns of their horses Kathleen led the girl through the grounds to stables. She handed off the reigns upon entering and stepped away to let others take over the job.

"Kastyana, leave your horse here, it will be well cared for and your bags will be brought to the Mistress of Novice's office presently." She didn't take her eyes from her travelling companion but it was clear the latter was an order for someone else. She had no fears it wouldn't happen.

"Mine will be taken to my rooms, I'm sure." She called over her shoulder as she began to walk the girl from the stables toward the Mistress of Novices' office and the true beginning of her brand new life.

Kathleen Vandiar