DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Social Faire Planning

U4ea

So, for those of you who are new(er) to DM, we started a tradition last year where we get all of the Social Groups together in one place and show off.

We've scheduled this one for the end of February next year (to give everyone LoA to read the last book time!). However, we need to work on planning EARLY.

The way it works is that each group has two threads, one WoT related (ie, it needs to relate to the Kin somehow!) and one that just represents US.

So... ideas?

(PS, I'm putting this out in public because I'm welcoming ALL advise here! I don't care where it comes from!)

The ACW SG is putting together an idea to build a video for the Social Faire. They're trying to collect videos of DMers lip sinking to a song or dressing up. They're collecting these and wanting some donations from us! I'm hoping pianoman will be stopping in and helping clarify things, but I wanted to put out feelers for him! 

• 1 month later...

We did a craft thread for our off topic that didn't get much attention. Our on topic thread was a discussion of... Phooey, I don't remember! Let me get my laptop and do some digging...

• 3 weeks later...

been thinking about this and last night this idea came to me for the WoT thread relating to the Kin.

Question:

WHAT IF THE MEMBERS OF THE KIN DECIDED THEY WANTED THIER OWN IDENTIFYING AND SYMBOLIC SHAWL LIKE EACH OF THE AJAH'S DO?

Discussion:

This would be after the Kin is introduced to the Sister's and the Tower, travel and work with them and begin to realize that the Aes Sedi are not the infalliable perfect icons they have reverred and been intimitated by for decades, even centuries.

That is simply a jumpoff point. Other questions come up then about raisings, the women of the Kin who choose to join an Ajah....do they have a stripe that identifies they were once of the kin? whould the Kin shawls have to be plain and functional only? Or would they be allowed to have the fancy embroidered ones? would a Kin woman even want one like that?

thoughts? reactions?

twinnie~!

Ok again...LOL I read last years thread in the Knitting Circle and it looked like what the Kin did was hobbies in both threads...one kin hobbies and the other Randland hobbies...

lets see one was...bookmarks, friendship bracelets, stepping stones and candy

and the other one for randland was...viking knitting , food like butter beer, and games..maypole dancing etc.

so is it for a month agsain this year Lor?

I don't see how the quilt would work out for a month long thread...?

After reading that thread I did have some other thoughts too...one of the functions of the Kin was healing in thier community..I know it is the providence of the Yellow's but the kin had that claim as well...so could we do something about natural remedies? Homeopathy stuff? Like using scents for enhancing moods, things good for the skin, simple and easy do to things for common ailments..like eating an apple for heartburn..really does work well too! ETC...

or and this may be wierd until you think about it..ageing and geriatrics. Think about it..most of the Kin they found were ancient! Talk about aging issues we face today...such as more and more kids taking care of parents, dealing with the loss of loved grandparents and kids, aches and pains of old folks and things they and you can do to help...etc....

somehow use writing....we used t have alot of fun and participation in poetry month and again story telling...perhaps NANO.what it is, supporting it...confessionals from kinsters who have participated...or a Q&A about actual trying with any NANO writers from DM?

Is this more along the kind of ideas we need to kick around?

exactly the kind of ideas we need to kick around! :) 

I want to try to stay away from things the ACW Guild would be covering, mainly because I don't want it to be confusing for folks who don't know us. 

I really like the Healing idea, though. The Modern Day Kin- Tips and Tricks to avoid the Yellow Ajah at home! *grins*

We could do something about herbal remedies for healing physical wounds, but we could do something about emotional healing too. Ways to stay calm in high stress situations, ways to calm others or how to be a good listener..Not sure how to do that, and not to not make it a big depressing suck pad, but I think that is something really Kin-like. I think of this place as a calm, fun place to really just relax and be with the people who are here and be there for them. There is a real kinship here and a real sence of unity and support. 

So... we could make our theme this year all about Healing, how does that sound? 

Our on topic thread would be home remedies kind of Healing and our SG speciic thread could be more emotional stuff (happy mail, group projects- THE QUILT!- calming techniques...). What do you think? We could use that second thread as our showcase, how we support each other to make that part easier. (I love it that you think of this place as calm and fun, Kathleen! I really love it that the premise of the Kin, from it's baby days, is still alive and well for those of you who have joined since then!). 

:) 

And I will get a mention (or a dozen mentions) of that quilt in there. Watch me! *grins*

I LOVE IT!!!    We would need to be sure to mention some of our ongoing support things..like the Moments of Joy thread...and the Rant thread.

The yearly goals and how we bring it up off and on all year to check in on how each other is doing.....happy mail that is sent  beyond exchanges...just to give each other a smile!  Nano support during november...and the No Drama rule..that does make this a calm and safe place to let our hair down...knowing we can be ourselves without any fear.

and the healing thing is great!  there are so many wonderful things we can offer!  I can check with my brother's MiL she had a ton of the home remedies..like the apple for heartburn...taking a spoonful of eldeberry when you feel a cold coming on and it will generally stop it..or eating one almond a day provides you with all the daily requirements of vitamins.  and she also knows a lot about using essential oils. Oh, and a friend of mine is making these cool blown glass pendents..small..that you put three drops of an essential oil in, and scent is released during the day.  this is great if you want to use an oil to be calm at work knowing the day will be difficult..or if your skin is to sensitive to wear any kind of perfume..this way you can wear a scent!  *grins and bounces around Lor*  I have SO MISSED  doing this kind of stuf!

Since the whole WT SG does a group-wide thing for this Faire, I don't think we'll be stepping on their toes. :) 

I have found plenty of cool stuff on Pinterest, too. Let's start a thread in the Farm for us to start gathering specifics, so any one of us can step in and show off. 

I'll put dates and stuff in there, too. 

If I don't have it up by Thursday, please poke me! I am dealing with a headache that's been threatening to turn into a migraine all day so I'm trying to swing through pretty quickly and go put myself in a dark place for a while. :( If someone else wants to start the thread, I'm absolutely cool with it! I'll post what I can add by Thursday night! :)  

Archived