DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Signing

PrncRny

I'm going to the idaho falls book signing today in a couple of hours. Any suggestions what I should as our dear Mr Sanderson? WoT or Stormlight related. Mistboenceven if you'd like. I just need ideas!

1. Are the two women in the Callandor circle supposed to be a parallel to the women who followed Jesus to the crucifixion?

2. Was Lelaine the one who arranged for Faolain, Theodrin, Myrelle, and Nisao to be included in the Black Tower delegation?

3. Did RJ mention in the notes how strong Tuon would be in the OP?

Here is one I would really like to ask.

Are the black stones in the bloodknife rings made of Shayol Ghul rock?

One more related to Logain's whereabouts. In the capture of Semi scene (KoD, ch 27) Rand raised all the Dedicated present including Donalo, Mezar and Welyn to full Asha'man. Yet, in TOM, ch 46 Androl thinks of all three as Dedicated and thinks that he hasn't seen Logain since he left the BT with them.

Is this correct or is this an error?

Should I just post it here? Or is there's other place on the board that would be better?

AMoL boards probably the safer bet unless its completely AMoL spoiler free.

Awesome that your doing this. Signing reports are always fun.

I'm fairly certain this is spoiler free. If someone thinks otherwise, feel free to move the thread, but I"m pretty darn confident in it.

Content is about WoT, Mistborn, AND Stormlight, a few questions from each.

I'll just post the WoT related ones here. If people want Stormlight or Mistborn questions, let me know and I"ll add those in.

Q: "I was thinking about Moiraine's questions to the Aelfinn. We already know what one of them was, is there any hint as to the other two?"

A: "If they aren't revealed in the last book, they will probably be in the Encyclopaedia. We want to save a few things for that, just so you know."

Q: "I was thinking about the bloodknives rings. What are the stones that they have? Are they Shayul Ghul rocks or something else?"

A: *long pause* "Finding Shayul Ghul rocks in Seanchan hands would be a very difficult thing."

Q: "So that's a no."

A: "I didn't say no. I just said it would be a very difficult thing."

Next Question was Stormlight.

Then Mistborn.

Q: "Do we ever find out how strong in the power Tuon would be if she ever snapped and started channeling? Did RJ leave any notes about that?"

A: "Yes he did. The problem is that that's not hte sort of thing I can work int o the books very easily. The issu eis that her strength would be tied to, well, people's strength go up they practice and things.Yes he has the notes, but there's no way the characters can know for sure. That would be something for the outriggers, which maybe we can get into the encyclopaedia. He left a big list for everyone and a number for their power level, their strength in the One Power, just for comparisons sake, which was cool because it would also say 'Here's teh threshold for creating a gateway and here's the theshold for this and its a really cool list and I hope they put it into the encyclopaedia but I don't know if they will."

Q: "Ok, so she's not going to snap in the next one and start channeling?"

A: "Well. Even if she did, how powerful she would get would not be immediately evident. Does that make sense?"

After that I asked for book referrals. So that's all WoT relevant stuff. :) If you want to know what else I asked, like I said, make a note and I'll put it in another post in this thread.

@PrncRny Thanks a lot for posting! Some interesting answers there knocking down a couple of theories. BS was surprisingly forthcoming. The answer about Tuon is somewhat odd though.

Women can judge each others potential in the OP. That's mentioned many times about various characters like Elayne, Egwene, Avi, Sharina, Talaan and so on.

@PrncRny Thanks a lot for posting! Some interesting answers there knocking down a couple of theories. BS was surprisingly forthcoming. The answer about Tuon is somewhat odd though.

Women can judge each others potential in the OP. That's mentioned many times about various characters like Elayne, Egwene, Avi, Sharina, Talaan and so on.

Actually its never made clear what is needed for one woman to judge another's potential. A woman can freely feel another woman's current strength just by being near her, but judging her potential strength is different--the closest to a casual reference is Moiraine's assertions about Egwene and Nynaeve and that is after months of travelling with them, and even channeling with them (including Nynaeve of the return from the Eye and her witnessing of the Heaing of Perrin). So yes, we know women can find out another woman's potential strength, but we don't know the how. It may well require some sort of test, not the sort of thing easily done with Fortuona.

@Luckers hmm, I didn't think of that. I guess it's possible that there is some special test involved. None has been mentioned but it does sound like there may be one judging by the fact that neither Elayne (tPoD, ch 2), nor Nynaeve (WH, ch 11) know how to judge Talaan's final potential and can only say how strong she is at the moment.

@Luckers hmm, I didn't think of that. I guess it's possible that there is some special test involved. None has been mentioned but it does sound like there may be one judging by the fact that neither Elayne (tPoD, ch 2), nor Nynaeve (WH, ch 11) know how to judge Talaan's final potential and can only say how strong she is at the moment.

Keep in mind that Talaan probably had reached her full potential already. Nynaeve thought she was in her early teens, but she was actually nineteen. Knowing the Sea Folk, they most likely started her channeling as early as possible, maybe around the age of fifteen. They also push their apprentices quite hard, so it makes sense that Talaan would have reached her full strength after 4-5 years of intensive channeling.

Moiraine said in TGH that "Egwene, a village girl, is at least as strong as Elayne. I have seen the Daughter-Heir, and I know." Her meeting with Elayne must have taken place before Elayne was sent to the Tower, so Moiraine was able to measure her full potential before Elayne had even started channeling and probably only from a single meeting. (I don't see Moiraine visiting Elayne often with Elaida around.) So, my guess is that the potential strength of sparkers can be determined right away, but learners need to have channeled for a while.

@sleepinghour good point about Elayne and Egwene. I was lazy and didn't check that reference. Still, there is apparently at least some skill involved in this because neither Nynaeve, nor Elayne know how to do it. They both mention this specifically in regards to Talaan.

About sparkers vs. learners, Alanna and Verin mention the subject once.

“Do you have any idea,” Alanna went on, “how many towns and villages we usually must visit to find three girls with the ability inborn? The only wonder is that it took us so long to come hunting more. The old blood is very strong here in the Two Rivers. We were only in Watch Hill a week before the Children appeared, and were very careful not to reveal who we were to any but the Women’s Circle there, yet even so we found four girls who can be trained, and one child I think has the ability inborn.

“It was difficult to be sure,” Verin added. “She is only twelve. None have anywhere near the potential of Egwene or Nynaeve, but the number is still nothing less than remarkable.

-TSR, ch 31

This says that Verin and Alanna were able to judge the potential of learners before any of them started to channel. So they (or others who know how) should be able to do the same with Tuon.

Q: "I was thinking about the bloodknives rings. What are the stones that they have? Are they Shayul Ghul rocks or something else?"

A: *long pause* "Finding Shayul Ghul rocks in Seanchan hands would be a very difficult thing."

Q: "So that's a no."

A: "I didn't say no. I just said it would be a very difficult thing."

Thanks for the report! Some interesting answers, there. I like the theory that Bloodrings are made of Shayol Ghul rock; it opens up for a lot of interesting possibilities. The rings are activated by blood, and Rand also has to shed his blood on the rock of Shayol Ghul... Instead of the scenario we've been picturing, where Rand is badly wounded and bleeding all over Shayol Ghul, what if "the Dragon’s blood stains the rock of Shayol Ghul" is fulfilled by something as simple by Rand activating the rings (given to him by Gawyn)? A bit of a crack theory, I'll admit, but not impossible as long as he's in the Pit of Doom when he does it.

Twice dawns the day when his blood is shed.

Once for mourning, once for birth.

Red on black, the Dragon’s blood stains the rock of Shayol Ghul.

In the Pit of Doom shall his blood free men from the Shadow.

@sleepinghour I liked that theory too (it's due to FSM) but I would say that the answer pretty much shoots it down. It looks to me like BS didn't want to give away an obvious spoiler and tried to give an in-book reason why the answer should be "no" instead.

I don't see him saying what he did if the answer was "yes" and the bloodknife rings really were made out of Shayol Ghul rock.

Here's an interesting bit. Moiraine in New Spring speaks of a test for perspective channelers which shows whether they can channel.

'Choosing your Ajah should at least wait until I test you to see whether there is any point in sending you to the Tower. A few minutes will determine whether you can learn to channel, and your potential strength if you -'

Guest Windrunner17

Hey PrncRny, I'm from over on 17th Shard, and I wouldn't mind hearing the other questions that were asked about Stormlight and Mistborn if you wouldn't mind.

Archived