DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Jason's review and Thank you to Team Jordan and BS

muddasssir

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not much to say that Jason doesn't quite eloquently say already.

He clearly believes that RJs Magnum Opus remains intact after Brandon's caretaking. I've taken the view all along that without RJ penning the final words himself the storytelling would be degraded. My bigger fear was that RJ's overall message from the series might be compromised. I can now wait for Jan 8 with assurance that his message will not be compromised and that I will love it.

For all that I am very thankful to Jason for the amount of work he has done, I'm not sure we can always take his reviews at face value. There is a bit of a cheerleader usually in his takes. For instance after CoT as was shared recently on TL...

Jason

I'm not going to kid anybody. I'm a die-hard fan of this series just like you are and I had the same worries that you probably have. I have enjoyed all [the] books, but I do think the pace slowed down after Lord of Chaos. So let me get it out now: This Book is GREAT. It picks up the pace once more and things are happening. Is this book exciting? Yes. Do we learn a lot of new facts? Yes. A lot. Does this book actually advance the plot? Yes....

But Jason's FIRST reactions are VERY telling. I will never forget when he accidentally posted his INITIAL review of TOM in the middle of the night one quiet night and I just happened to be up late lurking...One in a million chance only that I ever saw it...let us just say it was certainly Jason's...ah..."unpolished"...review. It was quickly pulled down. "Quickly" is not even the word. LoL...And Jason's FINAL review that ended up permanently posted was a far cry from his initial, accidentally-leaked, first impressions...THAT was when I knew we were in BIG Trouble with TOM lol.

Fish

You WERE???

**High Five** I got back up, lol. I was worrying I might have to swear ''Ogier's Oath'' if anyone called me a DIRTY LIAR, lol.

Its all good. Its real life. Its BUSINESS, and not the least of Jason's business interests in his life concern this website and because of that it is 100% understandable that he has to maintain a certain level of good will between himself and those involved with the WOT novels. But, even if Jesus himself wrote a review, I'd still have questions, so, not a knock on Jason at all (he's great), just that it is the nature of reviews which are VERY subjective, of course, to say the least.

Fish

Well, I went on record calling out Jason for being a fan-boy with his reviews on Theoryland, and I must say I never knew about the ToM review switcharoo. Still, his review of CoT puts me back where I started.

I can't tell one way or the other. Is this how he really feels, or is it more of a polished/cheerleader post. Was is CoT review spin also, or does he really have trouble telling gloss from dross. ToM review would seem to say not, but then the 2nd review would indicate that even though he can, he may not voice it.

For some reason, after reading the review I feel worried about the quality of aMoL.

It was a great piece of writing, which I agree with mostly, it just seems to be a bit of a "putting the best face on it" like it was glossing over true feelings for the sake of a positive response to aMoL.

It may not have been what people expected, but, to quote Stephen King, it was the right ending.

Sure, I can pick apart small nuances of this final book that weren’t perfect. Some little parts may not have rung as true as they could have. But by and large, it delivered in a big way.

These worried me a bit.

I mean, I could be totally wrong. I don't know the tone nor do I know Jason personally, so I am not trying to say that it is a lie or what not. I just read it that way.

Well, everytime someone asks Brandon about his thoughts on the ending, he would reply with "It is the right ending". So that leads me to think it won't be half what people have imagined and yet be the correct ending for the story.

That said, I am thinking there will be a lot of sore people after the final book is released based upon BS and Jason's reactions.

hey hey guys hold on to your horses please. I did not start this thread for any of this. I guess if I start a thread and then disappear for three or four days something like this is bound to happen. Any ways here is the deal. I am not going to believe it for a moment that you are not getting the significance of this moment. I mean whatever his business or other interests. First and foremost, he is one of us. He is as crazy and die hard fan of the series as any of us. I mean we have been bickering here for so many years that I have lost count. When RJ kicked the bucket I thought here goes my last chance to read the end of this story. Then Team Jordan picked up the mantle and brought in someone relatively unknown like BS. I do not need to reiterate how much we all love the series and how it is the the greatest fantasy epic in modern times and whether it has surpassed lord of the rings or not. We have all discussed it all before. Jason has read the book man can't you see that it is not only the culmination of the RJ's life's work, but also the end of the journey that all of us embarked upon all those years ago. As they say it has been a one hell of a ride and I have never regretted any minute of it. BS is not RJ. He never was never will be, has he done an adequate job? No one could have. So here is what I am proposing. All of us older fans people like fish, suttrree, luckers and all the other names that I am forgetting should get together and give one final round of standing applause to the people who has kept the legacy of RJ alive. All of you know that I have been one of the worst critics of Harriet, Team Jordan and BS, bit let us for once just put our frustrations and anger aside and just stand up and give a resounding round of applause to BS and team Jordan. Thank you guys we all love you very much It does not man that we are not going to bitch about it and let you people have an easy time of it, but we do appreciate all the hard work all of you have put in. One last thing let us call a truce. None of us is going to criticize BS's writing from today to after the book is released. I know that we all want to make a reasoned critique of his work, but our bickering is just destroying it for so many other fans. Please let us be considerate for once and let the others enjoy this last few months. Like we have enjoyed all of these years.

To clarify, my comment was not anything to do with the quality of Brandon's writing.

It was to do with the story, and the possibility for disappointment for many.

Also let me make clear that I (and I suspect most others who have provided criticism) have minor issues with Brandon's work, but as a whole respect him greatly and overall have been impressed at the quality Brandon has produced throughout his time with the Wheel of Time. Apart from those who make it clear otherwise, much criticism is for specific pieces of the text, not an attack on Brandon's integrity nor does it mean myself and others are ungrateful or disparaging of Brandon and Team Jordan's efforts or dedication.

Wait why are we all bitching on Brandon's work here too? Isn't this to discuss Jason's review and maybe give our own tearful, heartfelt thoughts on the end relating it to Jason's?

Oh, oh.. no? More Brandon writing whining? Sorry my bad guys, carry on the whinefest.

Bro, you do nothing to help the situation...You bitch about the "whiners" while others are offering constructive criticism Where is your heartfelt tearjerker huh? I'm sick of reading your posts, I can't understand how you are even able to post still since you swear in every single one and insult everybody, and I can care less that you apologize for it and throw in an insult to boot. So thank you for making me so fed up after reading your comments that I finally have to say something which will, I'm sure, result in this post being erased, and causing a derailment of the original thread to begin with.

Somebody please tell me if there is a way to block someone on here so I can't see their posts.

(edit: best to PM instead)

Back to the topic at hand, so as not to derail further.

In addition to my thoughts above, I think that Jason beautifully summed up the reading experience of most readers thoughout the years. Not sure how we are supposed to post heart-felt tear jerkers, we have not yet read the book.

I am pleased that Jason has been rewarded for all his efforts with a satisfying reaction. I can only hope we all get the same or similar.

I'm not sure it's a reward, really, to be a beta reader. You get to experience the book in a very rough state (well, usually, although it seems they got the final product this time around), and you can never undo that first impression.

Don't ask me whether I'd say no to an ARC, though :wink:

Wait why are we all [redacted] on Brandon's work here too? Isn't this to discuss Jason's review and maybe give our own tearful, heartfelt thoughts on the end relating it to Jason's?

Oh, oh.. no? More Brandon writing whining? Sorry my bad guys, carry on the whinefest.

iirc, this site is still PG13. I believe that DM rules specifically say no language not used in the WoT. So stop repeatedly cursing. Thank you, and have a grand bloody day.

Back on topic, the whole 'what no one expects' gives hope to my theory that it ends I win again Lewis Therin. *flicker*

Okay, unlikely, but it'd be awesome.

@ John Snow sorry to burst your bubble so to speak, but he has never one in this world or reality as this is the one that really exists. If it had not the world would have been already dead as we know it, also there were supposed to be out riggers with Mat and Tuon, which I guess makes the wholw thing kind of redundant. Therefore, I win again ending will make zero sense in longer term. Having said that you can never discount it completely. Now, how is that about being two faced :wink:

As for @ yoniyo man Isn.t it self evident. I mean Jason reading the book means that one of us has read the book. I mean one of us fans. It means that it really ends here in 2 or 3 more months. It is time for all of us to come together in paying tribute to one of the greatest work of fantasy literature and people who has spent their lives bringing us this work. These people include BS. I have been one of his biggest critics, but we all have to remember that he is not RJ. He never was, never will be. We and it includes most of us long timers are destroying it for people who has not slept, drunk or eaten WOT for 15-20 years. Most of these new fans belong to a different generation all together. I am not asking them to stop giving an honest critique of BS's work. I am just asking them to hold that critique back until after the release of the final book. It will make the whole experience of waiting for the final book to come out more fun.

I still don't get it. Of course it really ends here. We already have a release date, and you know Brandon has finished his last draft of the book. Jason isn't just a fan, he's also one of the beta-readers for this book, as he was for several previous ones (along with quite a few others you might know), and that's why he already read it (i.e., this wasn't an ARC).

you really do not want the fires to dampen down do you? It is a rhetorical question so just ignore it. Point is that I for once always thought that we will get another split, but this nails it for me that it is going to be over in this book. If you like I will say that this makes it real for me

Archived