DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Egwene will die

Daniel Hill

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there anything to show she will live beyond TG.

Its certainly possible. In his letter to RJ, Jason says Rand and Egwene shine the most in the final book. Not surprising if you've read all the signs, but given the heavy amount of parallelizing between these two up to now, it may well be that their final fate will be paralleled too. If Rand dies, I think there's a strong chance Egwene will too.

As for foreshadowing: the only thing that comes to mind is Nisao saying that Egwene would be the longest serving Amyrlin in history. I have serious doubts if its in Egwene's character to put up with the bickering and stupidity of political life forever. She's stuck with it till the LB, and maybe for a time after to rebuild the world. But I doubt she'll be fine with it for hundreds of years. I can totally see her retiring and saying to hell with it. Or, she could go out in a blaze of glory in the Last Battle.

As to how she may die... TAR is pretty certainly going to play a major role in the final sealing of the DO. Maybe she'll do something there that will help seal him, but will have the price of destroying her mind. I can see that working, frankly.

I always thought Egwene would die to defend and support Rand in the face of everyone else disagreeing. She saved the White Tower, reformed it tremendously, destroyed the black ajah, beat a Forsaken, made some type of alliance with the Seanchan, forged an alliance with black tower, etc. Then at the end, the crucial time is going to come down to repeating history again and denying Rand the help of female Aes Sedai or go with him against all odds and trust him. She's going to fight for him and stick up for him despite everyone thinking shes nuts and somehow shes going to die saving the world with him. That's what I have suspected for a few years at least. It's also possible that Brandons GRRM moment is Egwene.

What's been the trend since their first ride from the Two Rivers? Rand's brother-esque love of Egwene. That's why he first touched the One Source ... to help Bela stay strong and carry Egwene. The relationship has obviously taken turns here and there but she's probably the closest non-lover among Rand's dear friends.

It would seem to be a slap in Rand's face to have her die in the end. That'd be like the Emperor killing Princess Leia.

Nynaeve, I could see her dying .. because she's always the one trying to save Rand, Perrin and Mat ... combined with Lan treating those boys like apprentices and you have the formula for them doing what must be done together to buy Rand enough time to do whatever he must do.

If she dies I hope it happens in the first 1/3 of the final book so that I can read the rest peacefully without her annoying presence.

Sadly for you, there's no chance of that. She's up there in number of PoVs with Mat and Perrin, just below Rand. Unless the first 20 or so chapters are all Egwene...

If she dies I hope it happens in the first 1/3 of the final book so that I can read the rest peacefully without her annoying presence.

Sadly for you, there's no chance of that. She's up there in number of PoVs with Mat and Perrin, just below Rand. Unless the first 20 or so chapters are all Egwene...

Not to mention Brandon's quote about her character development being done and her ready to be a "bad ass" at the Last Battle.

It's also possible that Brandons GRRM moment is Egwene.

I'm assuming GRRM is referring to the author, George R. R. Martin, but I've never read any of his books... Could you please elaborate as to what his "moment" was?

Very important main characters die. Out of nowhere. All the time. Sometimes in groups. It's one of the few aspects of ASoFaI that I actually enjoyed.

How do we know that? From Brandon?

Yep.

Yep.

Ok, thanks.

Her dying would fit in line with the stereotypical Green Ajah fighting the Shadow. Theres no reason why she couldnt die in TG; her main purpose really was to unite the White Tower, change its customs regarding age and whatnot, and drive out the Black Ajah presence (obviously alot more then that but thats it generally.) And really, since I believe in the theory that Logain will unite the Blacktower and the Whitetower to become the overall leader, she would probably have to die for that theory to come about.

And really, since I believe in the theory that Logain will unite the Blacktower and the Whitetower to become the overall leader, she would probably have to die for that theory to come about.

I think it is far more likely that Egwene and Logain at least at first with the men in Elaida's palace(and yes MA I know you hate that idea about them next to the WT) would lead together fitting with the theme of balance in the series.

The thing is, there was really only one big one in A Game of Thrones (trying not to be spoilery here) and I honestly can't think of anything that could have the same visceral impact here - that one was the start of a collapse, we should be at the end, or at least in the midst of one here.

Anyway, I guess we'll see. I didn't know that Brandon had only read the first one ...

Who knows? Their fates paralleling each other sounds like a sound idea. However, I don't really see Egwene dying. There is no other Forsaken in the Tower. It has been Cleansed by any measure. Plus, there is no reason for the DFs too target Egwene that we know of with the LB so close. They are focused on the three taver'en now. And that bit from the Great Hunt about it being important for Nyneave and Egwene to be removed has never really resurfaced.

She has demonstrated over and over that she is willing to die, if necessary, but I don't think she will.

So I think this is what fionwe was talking about for the PoVs. I figured I'd post it here:

Brandon Sanderson

PRK (7 APRIL 2012)

Brandon tried to get moments for every character in A Memory of Light. Egwene is ready to be bad ass in the Last Battle; her character development is done.

PRK

Perth Exclusive for #WoT counted scenes by viewpoint. Rand has the most viewpoints in A Memory of Light, not a huge margin. Others tied.

PRK

Caveat, still revising A Memory of Light, so that can change.

LISA-MAREE BARBA

It's not much but Brandon S just told me that Lan has the most POVs in A Memory of Light, only just ahead of Rand. But that could change with editing.

PRK

I thought he said Rand ahead of the other main characters?

TEREZ

That doesn't even make sense. :s Sure, Lan is vital, but it's hard to see how the story could focus on him that much.

PRK (8 APRIL)

Confirmed it was Rand with the highest number of POV scenes in A Memory of Light (at the moment).

Footnote

It might be that Brandon said Rand was first just ahead of Lan, and Lisa-Maree mixed them up, but it seems somewhat unlikely.

So Lan apparently gets a lot of PoVs. I guess that means he doesn't die right away.

And really, since I believe in the theory that Logain will unite the Blacktower and the Whitetower to become the overall leader, she would probably have to die for that theory to come about.

I think it is far more likely that Egwene and Logain at least at first with the men in Elaida's palace(and yes MA I know you hate that idea about them next to the WT) would lead together fitting with the theme of balance in the series.

:wink:

Archived