DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Travel and Olympics Month: Discussion: London!

michellem

Hello my dears! Welcome to yet another event in the Brown Ajah Travel and Olympics Month. Our subject is...

bochan400_450x273.jpg

Yes, London! Let's take a look at what Wikipedia has to offer us of info:

London is the capital city of

England and the United Kingdom, the largest metropolitan area in the United Kingdom, and the largest urban zone in the European Union by most measures. Located on the River Thames, London has been a major settlement for two millennia, its history going back to its founding by the Romans, who named it Londinium. London has been described as a world cultural capital.It is the world's most-visited city and has the world's largest city airport system measured by passenger traffic.[18] London's 43 universities form the largest concentration of higher education in Europe.In 2012 London became the first city to host the modern Summer Olympic Games three times.

London has a diverse range of peoples and cultures, and more than 300 languages are spoken within its boundaries. In March 2011, London had an official population of 8,174,100, making it the

most populous municipality in the European Union, and accounting for 12.5% of the UK population.

*yawn* Boooooring. Well, not all of it, but dry facts aren't very exciting. SO that's what where here for! In this discussion we'll talk about different sides of London. Each day I'll give you a theme and we'll talk about that. I'll share my own experiences with you, and together we'll get to know this exciting city!

First, let's start off with something easy. Ever been to London? How, when and why? If you haven't do you want to go, and why?

Talk away, loves! And have a cup of tea while you do!

I've been there four times now, first was a school trip when I was 17, second time a long-weekend with my husband when I was 20, third time our honeymoon two years ago. also, and the fourth time this april when we went there with two of our best friends. It's a great city; it's impossible to be bored there! I'd love to stay there for like a month or something, never been there longer than six days. But it's gets so expensive! lol.

I grew up a couple of hours from London, in the south east, so most of my school trips before the age of about 12 were to the Natural History Musuem! Also, because my family is still there I have to go through London every time I want to visit (have got to know certain tube stations really well!).

Last time I was there was for the Olympics, and will be there for a night at the end of September. I'd love a proper trip 'away' there though, not just passing through

I've been there four times now, first was a school trip when I was 17, second time a long-weekend with my husband when I was 20, third time our honeymoon two years ago. also, and the fourth time this april when we went there with two of our best friends. It's a great city; it's impossible to be bored there! I'd love to stay there for like a month or something, never been there longer than six days. But it's gets so expensive! lol.

What did you get up to while you were there?

I grew up a couple of hours from London, in the south east, so most of my school trips before the age of about 12 were to the Natural History Musuem! Also, because my family is still there I have to go through London every time I want to visit (have got to know certain tube stations really well!).

Last time I was there was for the Olympics, and will be there for a night at the end of September. I'd love a proper trip 'away' there though, not just passing through

Brings up an interesting point. I think there are folks in any city who have lived there so long that it just becomes "home." They talk to people who visit who love the place and can't believe how lucky you are to live there. I lived in Hawaii for a few years and would have friends/family come to visit and just rave about the place. My response, more often than not, would be, "meh, it's home." Elaevia, it sounds like you have a true appreciation for where you live. Cheers!

Brings up an interesting point. I think there are folks in any city who have lived there so long that it just becomes "home." They talk to people who visit who love the place and can't believe how lucky you are to live there. I lived in Hawaii for a few years and would have friends/family come to visit and just rave about the place. My response, more often than not, would be, "meh, it's home." Elaevia, it sounds like you have a true appreciation for where you live. Cheers!

I think that when you live somewhere long enough you get used to all the great things about it - and it takes a prompt for you to remember. For me, it was when we had some friends here to stay: they found a list of places to visit and asked if they were any good, and mostly I said 'dunno, never been'. Which I was really angry with myself for because I love living in Cardiff, partly because of all e stuff to do! So to put it right we went to the National Musuem of Wales At the weekend (which is a ten minute walk from my house) and spend an hour looking at the dinosaur exhibit! It's great when you know all the 'non-touristy' parts of a place, but the popular touristy places are great too!

Lol Via, I'll get to what I've been up to! It's all part of the goodness to come ^^

I've got friends who life in London now (Kingston), and I'm so envious. But hopefully in a couple of years I'll move close myself! My dream university lies in Writtle, Sussex, so it's under an hour traintrip away from Central London :)

Lol Via, I'll get to what I've been up to! It's all part of the goodness to come ^^

I've got friends who life in London now (Kingston), and I'm so envious. But hopefully in a couple of years I'll move close myself! My dream university lies in Writtle, Sussex, so it's under an hour traintrip away from Central London :)

Sorry, didn't mean to get ahead of things!

An hours a good distance - close enough for regular day trips!

Today's theme will be...

Museums, galleries and similar!

I have a few recommendations I'd like to make.

Victoria and Albert museum:

This museum lies close to Hyde Park and South Kensington. The V&A is a museum of more or less anything. Although I guess I should say it's a cultural museum; from what I remember when I was there it was furniture, clothing, artworks, books, music instruments, etc. One of their current exhibitions are Ballgowns: British glamour since 1950. Earlier they've had exhibitions on everything from Japanese enameled vases, to british comics in the 1960's. It's a treasure chest! Their collection is huuuuuuge, and they switch of their displays a couple of times a year.

Victoria+and+Albert+Museum+in+London_8028.jpgP2262143e.jpg

London-Victoria_and_Albert_Museum-Library-01.jpg

For a few more pictures, check this link: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Victoria_and_Albert_Museum

Next stop... The National Gallery!

If you're even remotely interested in arts and culture, the National Gallery is always worth a visit. Their collection include over 2000 paintings, by big names such as Leonardo, Michelango, Van Gogh, Rubens, Monet... For me, that has studied these name in my arts classes at high school, it was such an experience to see them in real life! Also, for a quick little look into the National Gallery, you should watch the (awesome!) movie called St. Trinians! ;) Also, the National Gallery is free!

NatlGallery04192011.jpg

London-National-Gallery-Led-Illumination-Paintings.jpgLondon_National-Gallery_f66_d5c.jpg

After wandering those dusty halls of museums and galleries, it's time for some fresh air... I introduce to you: Royal Botanical Kew Gardens!

Kew Gardens are located in the tanquil little village of Kew, about half and hours tube-ride from Central London. You walk trough this charming little village, and come to what I like to to think of as paradise. Kew Gardens are a park, a botanical center, and a world heritage place. Here, you can broing your own lunch and eat it on one of the many rolling lawns, while peacocks walk around you, you can take the treetop-walk, visit the grenhouses, take a walk in the japanese zen garden, see the lily ponds... Kew has so much to offer. It's without doubt one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. Here you can see Kew Garden's own reasons to visit them: http://www.kew.org/visit-kew-gardens/visit-information/favourite-reasons/index.htm?src=footerfavourite

kew_gardens_2006.jpg

76506-004-4A7E3C85.jpgwater_li.jpg

13122-004-42FD99C0.jpgBright-Spirits_-Kew-Gardens.jpg

kew-bridge.jpgkew-gardens-016.jpg

Sorry, got a bit carried away with the pictures there :P Kew is one of my favourite places in all of London!

Have you been to any of these places? If so, how did you like it? Other galleries/museums etc. that you'd recommend to others?

The V and A is indeed awesome, in size and in the diversity it holds. I seem to remember looking at old medicines and equipment and an exhibition on engineering all on the same floor! They do really good temporary exhibitions there as well - I think I went to both a Lord of The Rings and Titanic exhibitions here.

I also vote for the natural history museum thanks to a giant squid hanging in a side gallery (I think there's nothing else in there!) - that's what I look for in a good museum: giant sea life hanging from the ceiling!

:)

Alright, day 2! What do I have for you today, you ask...

Musicals and theatre!

London is a city buzzing with things happening, and some of those things are musicals and theatreproductions. I'll be sharing with you the musicals I've personally seen.

phantom.jpg

Andrew Lloyd Webber is sometimes called the godfather of musicals, and PotO shows why! It's a feast of opulent costumes, amazing set, and music that will leave you with constant goosebumps!

3077914894_4a324cf28c.jpgimage_1.jpg

This musical is quite funny, because it's an opera set within a musical. The story is thus:

"Far beneath the majesty and splendour of the Paris Opera House, hides the Phantom in a shadowy existence. Shamed by his physical appearance and feared by all, the love he holds for his beautiful protégée Christine Daaé is so strong that even her heart cannot resist..." It's a heartbreaking and beautiful experience. Phantom of the Opera is played in Her Majesty's theatre in Haymarket!

Our next musical iiiiiiis...

wicked-the-musical-london.jpg

Wicked, the story of the witches from Oz. Mind you, I have never seen or read the original story, but I knew the basics. And at such, I enjoyed Wicked enormously! The story starts long before Dorothy ever sets her feet in Oz. Or, rather, the story itself start in the Emerald city where Glinda is being hailed for slaying the Wicked Witch. When all the people disappear, Glinda starts telling the real story... Glinda and Elphaba go to school together, and end up making a deep and lasting friendship. Elphie, due to her green skin and dark looks, are misunderstood as evil and wicked. And then this stupid meddling girl shows up out of nowhere!

The production is like fireworks. Shining, glittering, colorful, and at times quite loud! It's so enjoyable! Wicked shows at the Apollo theatre, straight across the steet from Victoria station!

defy+grav.jpg

a3a29fda7200x900.jpg.jpg

(part 2 coming soon)

And lastly, we have...

chicago-the-musical.jpg

Now I'm sure you've heard of this one. The story of murderesses Velma Kelly (a chanteuse and tease who killed her husband and sister after finding them in bed together) and Roxie Hart (who killed her boyfriend when she discovered he wasn't going to make her a star) find themselves on death row together and fight for the fame that will keep them from the gallows in 1920s Chicago.

This musical is very diffrent from the other two when it comes to the visual part. The set is very simple, almost all the costumes are black, the set is very minimalistic; it's the songs and the dancing that's allowed to shine here, unhindered. It's very refreshing, and very fitting. Also, you can't really help but want to dance while watching this! Chicago shows at the Garrick theatre in Covent Garden :)

Chicago_3.jpgthe-cast-of-chicago-the-musical-london-west-JtTLKJ.jpgChicago-the-Musical-at-th-001.jpg

Now, these are the three I have seen! Others I want to see in the future are Cats (if it ever returns from Broadway), Lion King, We will rock you... Ah, too many to choose from!

Have you seen any musicals in London, or perhaps seen any of these in New York? Of these three, wich one would you rather see? And add on everything else you feel is relevant! ;D

Archived