DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Travel and Olympics Month: Architecture in London

Masema

Welcome to the Wonders of Architecture in London!!!

wallpaper-591470.jpg

As part of the Brown Ajah's Travel and Olympics Month Event, we will be exploring some of the best architecture in London.

I know that to some, this might seem a dry subject, but I'm going to do my best to spice it up a bit.

Every day we are going to learn about a piece of architecture in London. There will be some interesting facts and some trivia about each place.

Day 1: The Millennium bridge

9706_millenium_bridge_london_england_nigel_young_fosterpartners.jpg

This is the famous Millennium Footbridge that extends over the River Thames in London. The southern end of the bridge is near Globe Theater, Bankside Gallery, and Tate modern. The north end is next to the City of London School, below St. Paul's Cathedral.

Construction began in 1998 and finished in 2000, at the beginning of the new Millennium.

Some interesting facts:

When the bridge first opened on June 10th 2000, it stayed open for only two days. While pedestrians crossed it, they felt a "wobble" or a swaying motion, which disturbed them. They thought it would just turn over and dump them into the river. This earned the bridge the nickname "The Wobbly Bridge." The bridge was then closed for two years while attempts were made to stabilize it.

Not only did the bridge first open two months late, it cost an extra 2 million Euros than was originally planned. Oh those architects, they always want more money to work slower.

Today's trivia question: What recent movie was this bridge destroyed in?

Also:

If you were to visit London, would you add this to your list of things to see?

If you have been here, what did you think of it? Any interesting experiences?

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows! :D

I've been there, walked over it. Don't remember much; it was when I was in London on a school trip, we'd had lunch before going to Tate Modern and I got food poisoned >.< so I was mostly concentrated on not throwing up XD

Day 2: 10 Downing Street

10-Downing-Street.jpg

10 Downing street is one of the most famous addresses in the world. It is home to the First Lord of the Treasury which is synonymous with the Prime Minister.

The building was originally three houses that were combined to make #10. The residence was offered to Sir Robert Walpole by King George II in 1732 as a gift. Walpole accepted on the condition that the three houses be given as a gift to the office of The First Lord of the Treasury, instead of him personally. Walpole commissioned architect William Kent to join the three houses together. Despite the gift from the crown, few First Lord's resided there until the early 20th century. The house was in a constant state of disrepair all throughout the late 1800's until around 1960.

Some interesting facts:

The number 10 that sits there today is not the original, well not the whole original. When it was thought that the building would have to be demolished and rebuilt, the architects and the government had a different plan. Because of the iconic nature of the building, it was decided that it would be taken apart piece by piece and every original part of the residence that could be saved would be, and would be placed into the new building. The foundation and many of the support beams had to be completely replaced because of rot.

The black bricks seen in older pictures from the mid 19th century and that form the front of the house today are not actually black, they were yellow. The reason that they had looked black was a result of nearly two centuries of pollution. It was decided during the reconstruction that to preserve the iconic black bricks that they should be painted black again. After each brick was carefully cleaned they discovered that they were in fact yellow.

Today's trivia question: Which British Prime Minister called Number 10 "One of the most precious jewels in the national heritage"?

Mish, close but it was actually the Half Blood Prince. I bring up a place, and you've been food poised there, lol.

Bah, of course it was! Talk about wrong thinking >.< And I know, too funny, lol! (well, I wasn't poisoned right there, but in a little italian place right by Tate Modern. Undercooked chicken <.< )

I'd never heard about 10 Downing street! That is really cool.

Day 3: Buckingham Palace

Buckingham%20Palace%20landing%20guards.jpg

Buckingham palace is the official London residence and primary workplace of the British Monarch. The building which forms the core of the palace was originally a large townhouse built for the Duke of Buckingham in 1705. It was acquired by King George III as a private residence for Queen Charlotte in 1761. It didn't become the official residence of the monarch until 1837 with Queen Victoria making it her home. In current days, with Great Britain being a constitutional monarchy, the palace is technically owned by the state.

Today's trivia question: Who else currently lives at Buckingham Palace as their primary residence besides the Queen?

Day 4: Big Ben

bigben4.jpg

Big Ben is one of the most confused pieces of work in London. The great majority of people think that it is the name of the tower, it is not. The name Big Ben actually refers to the great bell inside of the tower. I figured I would use the name for the whole tower just to increase interest, and include details of the whole tower. The name of the tower is the Elizabeth Tower, it has recently been renamed in honor of the Queen's diamond jubilee reign.

The tower was raised as part of architect Charles Barry's plan for a new palace of Westminster after the earlier palace was destroyed by fire in 1834. Barry didn't actually design the tower, the only part of the palace that he didn't design, was given to architect Augustus Pugin. It was Pugin's last work before he descended into madness and death.

Today's trivia question: What is the other tower named on the south west side of Westminster Palace?

Day 5 Westminster Abby

West_Side_of_Westminster_Abbey%2C_London_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1406999.jpg

Westminster Abby is one of the oldest buildings in London. Founded in 960 A.D. it is one of the oldest Churches in the world still in operation. It is the traditional place of coronation for British monarchs and the burial place of seventeen former monarchs. The church has passed from being a Catholic Church to The Church of England so many times it makes my head spin from counting them all. The Abby was rebuilt to it's current state in 1245 by King Henry III, who chose it as his burial ground. It was on this site that the first third of the old testament, and the last half of the new testament of the King James Bible were translated. The two towers that you see now were not built until 1745 by architect Nicolas Hawksmoor. Much of the early history is quite speculative, even gathered from multiple sources, so it isn't known who originally designed the building.

Have you ever been here? If so, what was your experience?

Would you add this to your list of things to do in London?

Today's trivia question: What years was the Abby officially considered a cathedral?

Day 6: The Shard

448px-Shard_London_Bridge_May_2012.JPG

The Shard, or The Shard London Bridge, is the tallest completed building in all of Europe. The structure stands 330 meters(1,083ft) and has 72 habitable floors, with floors 73-95 serving as the tower's spire. The Shard was recently completed in April of this year and opened in July. The Shard was designed in the year 2000 by Italian architect Renzo Piano in collaboration with Richard Rogers, a British architect. Due to the global economic troubles in the year of 2007 the structure was not funded by the British government, but rather by a group of investors from Qatar. The Shard was the first building designed after the collapse of the World Trade Centers in America to facter in those types of conditions.

Today's Trivia Question: What buildings did the Shard replace?

Day 6: The Shard

448px-Shard_London_Bridge_May_2012.JPG

The Shard, or The Shard London Bridge, is the tallest completed building in all of Europe. The structure stands 330 meters(1,083ft) and has 72 habitable floors, with floors 73-95 serving as the tower's spire. The Shard was recently completed in April of this year and opened in July. The Shard was designed in the year 2000 by Italian architect Renzo Piano in collaboration with Richard Rogers, a British architect. Due to the global economic troubles in the year of 2007 the structure was not funded by the British government, but rather by a group of investors from Qatar. The Shard was the first building designed after the collapse of the World Trade Centers in America to facter in those types of conditions.

Today's Trivia Question: What buildings did the Shard replace?

1540?

Southwark Towers

That's right, they did replace the Southwark Towers

Wow, I haven't heard about the Shard before now, that looks really cool!

I know, I would love to go there myself one day.

Day 7: The London Eye

800px-London_Eye_Twilight_April_2006.jpg

This Iconic landmark is one of the most recognizable structures in London. While not a building, I thought it would be a great way to wrap up this week. The London Eye is Europe's largest ferris wheel. When it was constructed, it was the largest in the world until surpassed by the Star of Nanchang in 2006. It is the most popular paid tourist attraction in all of the UK. Each of the passenger capsules can contain up to 25 people, and full rotation takes about 30 minutes. It was designed by a team of over 10 architects.

Some interesting facts:

1. All of the capsules are air conditioned

2. The Eye doesn't stop to let people on or off. The capsules are on ground level long enough to let people walk on while it's moving.

3. On new years day, fireworks are fired off from the wheel itself.

Today's trivia question: What was the predecessor of the London Eye?

Archived