DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

I've had enough of Red Eagle Entertainment. Have you?

kilika

REE/G good or bad for WoT?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Please ‘sign’ this poll if you agree that Red Eagle should give up the rights for the Wheel of Time.

• I agree.
    • No, let them keep the rights.

Ok, I will try and not be horrible and insulting and express my opinion in a polite manner.

Red Eagle Entertainment/Games have promised us the moon. And so far have produced very little.

They have promised us a comic of a new spring, a MMORPG, a xbox/ps3/wii game AND a movie.

And what have we got?

A half finished comic.

And now a kickstarter for US to give THEM half a million dollars to make an iphone/android game.

See: http://www.dragonmou...obile-game-r387

HALF A MILLION DOLLARS.

To be perfectly honest. I’ve had enough. Please post your comments, both for and against. And also answer my poll.

Thank you for reading.

Kilika.

Bloody hell, 450k for a mobile game?!!?! Are you serious? You can get a PC game for that budget. And why are fans footing the bill? Are we footing the entire bill or just a portion? I need to read up more on kickstarter, is this a true investment or a donation, in other words, do we see a return of any sort?

I very much doubt you would see a return of any sort, there is talk of in-game likenesses and such for high rollers but it seems like a farce to me, or even just day-light-robbery.

They have 25 backers so far with $953 and 26 days left to get up to the ‘magic’ $450,000 mark. A bit of stupid goal.

My question would be, if they don’t get to $450,000 (which they won’t) would the 25 people get their money back…answers on a postcard.

My guess is no = they are stealing your money!

in all fairness any film or game that is made will be severly dissapointing. a comic Or possibly a high budget tv series could do justic. but that no means allows any company to continuesly ripp people off, or try and get money up front.

entertainment gets it's money once somethings been made from sales. it should never be the other way round.

I very much doubt you would see a return of any sort, there is talk of in-game likenesses and such for high rollers but it seems like a farce to me, or even just day-light-robbery.

They have 25 backers so far with $953 and 26 days left to get up to the ‘magic’ $450,000 mark. A bit of stupid goal.

My question would be, if they don’t get to $450,000 (which they won’t) would the 25 people get their money back…answers on a postcard.

My guess is no = they are stealing your money!

Kickstarter says you get your money back if they don't meet their goal. In fact, your card isn't charged until the goal is reached. That's one good thing.

@ickis i might agree about movie but video game?! U cant b serious. Just look around, titles like elders scroll, ME, and AC clearlt show that games with complex stories are very much possible! Red Eagle are bunch of amateurs it seems that had a good fortune to cone into a golden opportunity and not enough brains to do anything with it! Sorry for emotions, but those f#@%s are getting me angry for years! I remember that even RJ was really upset with them.

in all fairness any film or game that is made will be severly dissapointing. a comic Or possibly a high budget tv series could do justic. but that no means allows any company to continuesly ripp people off, or try and get money up front.

entertainment gets it's money once somethings been made from sales. it should never be the other way round.

There is currently a comic being published of Eye of the World.

This could just be bad PR. Kickstarter has been used for video games before, sometimes for far more than $450,000.

Attempts to make an iphone app really disappoint me though. Brandon thinks our best chance at getting outriggers and the other 2 prequel stories is as video games, and I think it's a great compromise in releasing something that won't reflect badly on RJ if it's bad, but still lets us treat it as semi-canon if we want to. That's the kind of news I'd like to hear, not phone games...

Kickstarter has been abused by companies far too much for a couple of months now. An established company has no reason to be trying to get money from the public for something like this. If they can't afford to make anything, they should sell the rights off or let them lapse. Asking the public for money....

oh thats good! does it have/ had a european release date yet?

Them keeping the rights seems to be the best way to avoid there ever being made a movie/series/game, so I am all for it.

Indeed...I don't think I've ever NOT wanted a beloved book or series of books to be made into a movie...or any other medium other than the original, more in all my life. Cheers!

oh thats good! does it have/ had a european release date yet?

Not sure if it's available in Europe or not. I'd check Amazon. There are currently 2 trade paperbacks out that collect the first 12 or so issues. There's also a collected edition of the New Spring comics that were put out.

http://www.amazon.com/Eye-World-Graphic-Novel-Wheel/dp/0765324881/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1345414481&sr=1-1&keywords=eye+of+the+world+graphic+novel

Who is REG? Really? I've hear of them here for a few years,but did a search for them and all I found was this website. http://www.red-eagle...ertainment.com/

There's nothing there. Looks like a scum operation to me.

Here is the kickstart link. http://www.kickstart...f-time-games-la

Here I found this too.

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2010/05/jordancon-interview-with-red-eagle-entertainment

Odd that their company doesn't have more of a webpage...

I just assumed I didn't know what they were because to be quite frank it's not the type of thing I pay attention too. Thanks for pointint that out.

They should at least have some screencaps or something to pique my interest in coughing up my hard earned cash. Instead they just have the logo and a link that should be a video but does nothing? No thanks.

I also see that they have 'in game currency'. I'm not liking the way that sounds. Maybe it'll be like regular RPG's where you kill people and get money. Or maybe it'll be like most apps these days, pay real cash for 'in game currency' so you can do other things in the game. Now I'm to believe I'm to help fund it, buy it, then add more cash to it for this 'in game currency'? This game is a money pit and they don't even have concept art yet.

I think it's funny, I've posted on Jet Set Games comment section and the facebook page for the app game and both posts got deleted. They weren't offensive in the slightest, just saying that it looks like they have lost support from the WoT community seeing as in seven days they have only managed to get $1,466.00.

Only $448,534.00 to go. In 22 days. What a joke.

They should at least have some screencaps or something to pique my interest in coughing up my hard earned cash. Instead they just have the logo and a link that should be a video but does nothing? No thanks.

I also see that they have 'in game currency'. I'm not liking the way that sounds. Maybe it'll be like regular RPG's where you kill people and get money. Or maybe it'll be like most apps these days, pay real cash for 'in game currency' so you can do other things in the game. Now I'm to believe I'm to help fund it, buy it, then add more cash to it for this 'in game currency'? This game is a money pit and they don't even have concept art yet.

I would never support any pay to win games.

I'm wearing my hat of open-mindedness. Rob Alexander brings good credibility to the project, as does an established game design team like JetSet.

Edit: By the way, Kilika? You don't speak for me, or anyone else on this forum. I'd appreciate it if you didn't imply that you did during your campaign against Red Eagle and JetSet etc. Hearing them say that they've 'lost the support of the WoT community' because you trolled them isn't good.

To be honest it doesn't matter what I say, I'm one man, and the project will not be going ahead regardless of what hat you wear. They need to muster up another $448,534.00 and that ain't happening.

Edit: Don't call me a Troll, I am a customer of Red Eagle who is fed up with their broken promises. And they haven't said a thing about the community because they are so far removed and in a world of their own. I told them that it looks like they have lost the support of the WoT community - and it does look that way, see above.

Also, "By the way, Kilika?" is not a question. Just so you know for the future.

Far be it from me to inject reasonableness into a good rant, but I have been fairly critical of RE in the past, so I kinda want to weigh in on this. RE has never impressed me in the past, their only real success to date has been the comic books, and even that was plagued by troubles. As far as I understand their business model, RE doesn't really pay to have anything produced, they're the gatekeepers for the WoT IP in other media. In other words, they're not there to create WoT projects like an mmo or a single-player rpg or even this tactical-strategy game that sounds like it's gonna be a WoT skin over FF tactics or something similar. They're there to say "no" to such products, unless they get paid and agree with the content that's being produced. Somebody else pays to produce those things, and RE takes their cut from any profits. Somebody else creates the content and RE just says "yes" or "no" to that content. Insofar as RE "contributes" to any WoT product in other media, they do so by choosing who the "somebody else" is that will do the actual work.

And they've haven't been very effective in their role as gatekeeper insofar as the only WoT product in other media they've allowed to reach the market has been a comic whose production was interrupted half-way through the first book as the publisher they chose to produce the comic went out of business and sold out to another publisher. Fans want more, but more is not forthcoming because anybody that wants to produce a WoT themed product has to pay RE and run the very likely risk that RE will make them change their product before it reaches the market, probably in ways that will hurt its marketability.

Just a few products that developers and producers could be working on, but aren't because RE stands in the way are:

A new table-top rpg. The last one was a crappy d20 variant, that's now out of print. Table-top rpgs have evolved a lot since D&D 3.0. There's a lot of variety out there now, and it's not too hard to create a mechanic that lends itself to the WoT. But no professional rpg developer is gonna touch it because they'd have to go through RE to sell it, and RE is virtually guaranteed to force them to make costly changes to content and mechanics after it's all but ready for release.

A movie. 4 years to write and approve a script? Seriously? Perfect example of being a bad gatekeeper.

A TV show. This would be even better suited for a WoT adaptation than a movie, look at Werthead's posts in the other board. Same issues as above.

video games of various format. There's been one, before RE was involved, and it was a decent fps, but not really what many fans wanted, and had to compete with better shooters that were released in the same year. There's so much room for video games here that it's ridiculous. But as with the table-top rpg, who wants to touch it?

With all that said, I hope that this is a good game. But given RE's track record, if it even gets produced at all, I doubt it will be, but more than that, I rather doubt it will be produced at all.

Archived