DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Perspectives you dont want to see and you want to see

NitroS

What perspectives of characters do you want to see in AMOL and not want to see that we will most likely get.

I dont want to see perspectives of loial, faile and ivan luca, Thom. Although i know we are going to get perspectives of perrin i hate that brandon is so obsessed with him so he will write more then probably what should be.

Perspectives i want to see but i dont think we will get much of is Cadsuane (cause brandon hates this character and has ruined my favourite character with his bias hate) siuan (especially when she first see's moiraine) Adelorna Bastine (her perspective leading the green ajah in the last battle hopefully extending a circle past 13)

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perspectives I want to see a lot of:

1) Tam. Lots of epic heroes have issues with father atonement. Ever since Tam's fever dreams, Rand has had issues with where he comes from. Perrin gets to see a lot of Tam throughout the story, but after the three guys leave the Two Rivers for the first time, Rand doesn't really see Tam again until the end of TGS, and that reunion was actually pretty crappy. Granted, there is some reconciling later, but not much. I'd like to see a little bit more of Tam's point of view and some REAL resolution of the father/son relationship.

2) Alivia. What must it be like to be the subject of one of Min's viewings and be told you were going to help Rand die? Her unique history as a former damane just adds to her allure. I'd like a better peek into her thoughts.

3) Demandred. At this point, most of the Forsaken are dead. We know a fair amount about the plans and recent actions of the ones who are still alive for the most part, but we still have next to nothing on Demandred, except that he is gathering an army and that his "rule is secure." I want to see what he's been doing all this time and where he's at now. And I want to see his own words/thoughts on it.

Perspectives I don't want a lot of:

1) Fain. You're crazy. We get it. Fain has already gotten a lot of mad monologues throughout the series, and I don't really need more. I think some may be necessary in AMoL, but not much. Let's not overdo it.

2) Tuon. She really isn't much more than an immature (albeit intelligent) Empress. She is going to play a crucial role in AMoL, there's no debating that. But I'd much rather see her actions from the viewpoints of other people who aren't as annoying, like Rand or Furyk Karede.

3) Morgase. Unless RJ had a real surprise for his readers, I feel like her role is pretty much played out. She got a lot of time in the last couple books, but now that she's reached Caemlyn, she really has nothing to do.

good topic.

Want to See:

Demandred: Obvious, I won't say more, I could go on all day :tongue:

Any Forsaken except Graendal, sick of her scheming that comes utlimately to nothing, Moridin, Lanfear and even Moggy have interesting things yet undiscovered, Graendal is old news.

Rand: Obvious.

Moiraine: Obvious.

Asha'man: Just asha'man in general.

Pevera/Androl: For the Black Tower plot.

Taim: Obvious.

Logain: Obvious.

Slayer: The guy is a barrel of mysteries.

Shaidar Haran/DO: Basically the same thing, and I want to see what the DO actually wants.

Those that I don't want to see:

Morgase: I don't mind her, but her PoV will give me nothing. There is nothing left for her to have a PoV about.

Gawyn: Sick of his PoV, he was awesome in ToM, until he became random super-warder. Now he is basically an extension of Egwene, and I would much rather have Egwene PoV. (The possible exception if he does something similar to what Terez suggests.)

Tuon: I don't mind her, but we all know how the Seanchan think, I would get nothing from her PoV. Much more interesting if the conflict is from Mat, Egwene or Rand.

Fain: Im gonna go with Seoul Man. Fain is just annoying, and unless he is going to have a half coherent PoV, explaining Mordeth and his power, I don't much care about Fain PoV. All the necessary Fain action would be better done from Rand or someone else's PoV.

Lan: Love the guy, but don't need his PoV. Nothing about him that can't be told outside of his PoV. All he will be doing is killing Trollocs/getting killed. Much rather his story come from Nynaeve or Rand, where they still have parts to play in getting aid to him.

Perspectives I don't want to see... Galad and Gawyn. Both bore me, to be honest, and yes, I know it does look like Gawyn's gearing up for something interesting, but yeah... Alliandre and Olver both creeped me out. Perrin if he's given too much screen time.

There are the 'Brandon ones' --Lan, Graendal and Cadsuane just because Brandon cannot write them (so RJ scenes bring 'em on). I don't include Mat here, because with Mat Brandon is making an active effort and has cited is much stronger and a truer to character in aMoL and I want to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Tam... I really worry what Brandon might do with Tam, just because he seems to hero worship the man, but I guess we won't know until we see... ummm...

Ones I want to see--Fortuona. I actually love her POV's, and am looking forward to her reunion with Mat. I know a lot of you dislike her, but I want to see loads of Egwene. Love her.

Then there are the ones I worry about--the ones I love but therefore worry about. Moiraine and Tam both fall in this line--I love both and would enjoy POV's from either, but they could be so easily 'over-fanned', especially given Brandon loves both those characters.

Rand though, is my real worry. If Jesus Rand really is what he has been presented as in tofm it'd probably be a deal breaker for me. If its show, or some sort of over componsation from recovering from Lews Therin and will be used to lull him into a false sense of security or something plot-related like that, I'll love it, but if he really is the inhuman caricature of goodness that he's been presented as... yeah, it would probably ruin the last book for me.

Top 5 perspectives of 'love to read':

1 - (Asha)M'hael (I doubt we'll get one...or need one.. but I'd just love one)

2 - Moridin / Shaidar Haran (more! I can't get enough of those! more!)

3 - Demandred (too much going on and has nothing to show for it)

4 - Graendal (let's hear/see how her 'framework of incompetence' led to Asmo's death)

5 - Bashere (a ton of bricks, I say)

Top 5 perspectives of 'no thanks':

1 - Morgase

2 - Gawyn (he gets under my skin... the wrong way)

3 - Any Sitters / Hall related stuff (we've had our share... it's Last Battle Time..enough of the chit-chat)

4 - Sea Folk (yes, yes...we get it...we know you just have to drive a hard bargain)

5 - Slayer (a tool and I believe mostly a prototype for something bigger; had his moments in the spotlightShadow. That will do. Have him die in epic battle, but please no pointless pov)

I liked the 'random joe' PoV's that set the mood so well.

I'd like more of those with the battles ahead.

Like this one:

Keemlin went down on one knee.

"Why do you draw your sword?" Malenarin asked, voice loud so that every man atop the tower would hear.

"In defense of my honor, my family, or my homeland," Keemlin replied.

"How long do you fight?"

"Until my last breath joins the northern winds."

"When do you stop watching?"

"Never," Keemlin whispered.

"Speak it louder!"

"Never!"

"Once this sword is drawn, you become a warrior, always with it near you in preparation to fight the Shadow.

Will you draw this blade and join us, as a man?"

Keemlin looked up, then took the hilt in a firm grip and pulled the weapon free.

"Rise as a man, my son!" Malenarin declared.

Keemlin stood, holding the weapon aloft, the bright blade reflecting the diffuse sunlight. The men atop the tower cheered.

It was no shame to find tears in one's eyes at such a moment. Malenarin blinked them free, then knelt down,

buckling the sword belt at his son's waist. The men continued to cheer and yell, and he knew it was not only for his son.

They yelled in defiance of the Shadow. For a moment, their voices rang louder than the thunder.

That just gave me goosebumps...again.

(Mental note; buy a sword for my son's 14th birthday) :D

PoVs i could do without:

Gawyn/Galad : they annoy me,always have, they were only cool when Mat was spanking them.

Elayne: Obviously there will be some, but the less the better. I can't stand how condescending, arrogant and deluded she is.

Egwene: See Elayne.

Perrin: I like perrin but the last two books were SO heavy on him, like BS forgot there were other characters half the time.

Random Borderland Farmers: There is precious few pages left. Lets not waste them on nobodies :p

PoVs i want to see:

Moridin: Want more insight into his plans and what drives him. Very interesting character imo.

Demandred: Who isn't dying to know what his deal is?

Taim: See Demandred :p

Fain: I always enjoy his insane thought process and ramblings.... I could read a whole book just him.

Shadar Haran: Curious what its goals are. Is it a schemer like the Chosen? Or really just a vessel of the DO with no selfish motives?

Mat: he is my favorite, even when BS tries so hard to ruin him.

Rand: Obvious reasons i think.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Theses POV i want to read ( my top three) :

Any of the forsaken ( please much of Graendal , my favourite of the forsaken since Shimerhage was killed)

Tuon / Fortuna

and Egwene of course

And these I can make without :

Morgase

Moiraine (good seen from outside but her own thoughts , no her appeal lies in mystic)

Thom (( see Moiraine ( eventhogh he had a good POV in tDR )))

I don't want perspectives of Perrin (the guy is completely and utterly uninteresting to me), Faile, random generals/noblemen, random Darkfriends who have no idea what's going on, Lan, Morgase, and Gawyn (irritatingly clueless and one-dimensional).

I do want perspectives of the Forsaken, Fain, Shaidar Haran, Alviarin and Mazrim Taim. Particularly, I want to see Demandred's thoughts and learn what the hell he was doing for the duration of the entire series, what instructions the Dark One gave to him in the prologue of Lord of Chaos, and what he did to unleash the balefire (or failed to do). I don't think hiding a villain's actions until the last book is very fair to the reader, I hope Jordan left enough information for Brandon Sanderson to incorporate into the story. Alviarin and Taim seem to be the Shadow's most competent top agents, would be interesting to learn how they assess their situation and prospects, where Alviarin is hiding and what authority she has now that the Black Ajah is exposed and partially decimated.

Perspectives I do want to see: Alivia when she helps Rand die. Demandred because he is still a mystery. Pevara/Androl because the Black Tower plot line is getting pretty interesting. Fortuona because she is the only Seanchan who we can get a useful POV from. Aviendha because she was barely in the last 2 books after being a big part in the middle of the series. Cyndane, I think the only POV we've had of her was at the Cleansing.

Perspectives I don't want to see: Morgase, I liked her POV when she was in hiding but that's over. Gawyn unless he does something with the Blood knife rings. Graendal, we had plenty of her in ToM that led to her failing.

i didnt know so many people hated lan. Im looking forward to see one of him at tarwins gap before he obviously gets save

There are the 'Brandon ones' --Lan, Graendal and Cadsuane just because Brandon cannot write them (so RJ scenes bring 'em on). I don't include Mat here, because with Mat Brandon is making an active effort and has cited is much stronger and a truer to character in aMoL and I want to give him the benefit of the doubt.

i really hope cadsuane gets a heroic death sacrificing herself for the dragon reborn with her pov saying how she had pointed her life to this point, that or she does her thing and then drifts off into no where again until sisters think shes dead again. But with brandons hate i hope he doesnt kill the scene somehow. Hated how he wrote cadsuane in the cadsuane tam conversation. Cadsuane would never let some random man speak down to her.

Although i really loved egwenes scene in TGS except when she calls herself a fiery hero or whatever

Also i hope not to much is wasted on Min just quickly tell rand what the issue with callandor is and then give ur perspective to someone else

Hated how he wrote cadsuane in the cadsuane tam conversation. Cadsuane would never let some random man speak down to her.

Actually, Ironically, I can see her letting him do that... something like this.

"What happened?" Nynaeve demanded.

"He..." Tam cut himself off harshly, turning his gaze to Cadsuane, "what did you do to my son?"

"What I had to."

The sound, of hand slapping skin, resounded through the room. Tam has struck her hard enough that her head jerked around; golden ornaments, fishes and birds, stars and moons, swayed with the force of it.

"He is my son," Tam rasped, his face starch-white, "do you understand? My son!"

"I understand," Cadsuane replied. She drew a kerchief from her sleeve, and dabbed at her lip. Despite the livid red handprint, her face was a mask of Aes Sedai calm. "I understand."

Tam swayed like a puppet whose strings had been cut, staring down at the Aes Sedai, and then collapsed back into a chair behind him. The room rang of silence.

Finally Min forced herself to speak; "What now?"

"Now?" Cadsuane asked. She had settled herself into a chair opposite Tam, and if before her face had been calm, now it was more stern than anything. "Now we wait to see if I have doomed the world."

@Luckers: Excellent paragraph, I could see that, word for word, being in the books. In fact, we have something very similar happen in PoD, when Rand confronts her with the asha'man. Cadsuane acts similarly there.

I am perhaps more forgiving though, while I definitely thought the scene suffered some anti-cadsuane-ness, the actions themselves I can understand. She HAD just been threatened to be erased from the pattern with a thought, and banished under pain of death. She also HAD just possibly doomed the whole world. I can see her letting slip, it was her fault (intentional or not) that it happened, she wouldn't like to be reminded of it by some guy she had never met before. Still, I agree that I am reluctant to see any Cadsuane PoV.

Egwene I am torn on. I really want to see her back at her best. I will love any of her scenes post- Seal Breaking, being badass and smacking down some Shadowspawn, but I am hesitant with any Fields of Merrilor PoV's we have. Unless it turns out she has legitimate reason (not in her mind, but in terms of plot) to oppose Rand in the breaking of the seals, it would just irk me. Even though the sentiment is very understandable, and I don't fault her for it, this is the final book, I am sick to death of seeing people disagree, I want to see them get their crap together and be badass. That goes for any other character as well, most notably Tuon and Egwene though, who are likely to be the least cooperative of the PoV characters. (not only with the seals, but a temporary truce with the Seanchan/marath'damane.)

I would much rather see this from Mat or Perrin's PoV, trying to bring people together.

Hated how he wrote cadsuane in the cadsuane tam conversation. Cadsuane would never let some random man speak down to her.

"He..." Tam cut himself off harshly, turning his gaze to Cadsuane, "what did you do to my son?"

"What I had to."

The sound, of hand slapping skin, resounded through the room. Tam has struck her hard enough that her head jerked around; golden ornaments, fishes and birds, stars and moons, swayed with the force of it.

"I understand," Cadsuane replied. She drew a kerchief from her sleeve, and dabbed at her lip. Despite the livid red handprint, her face was a mask of Aes Sedai calm. "I understand."

Tam swayed like a puppet whose strings had been cut, staring down at the Aes Sedai, and then collapsed back into a chair behind him. The room rang of silence.

"Now?" Cadsuane asked. She had settled herself into a chair opposite Tam, and if before her face had been calm, now it was more stern than anything. "Now we wait to see if I have doomed the world."

Well done mate. Nice to see a glimpse of Pre TGS Cads again..

Ones I want to see--Fortuona. I actually love her POV's, and am looking forward to her reunion with Mat. I know a lot of you dislike her, but I want to see loads of Egwene. Love her.

Definitely. Fortuona's PoV's are fun to read and are not superfluous. There is a lot going on behind what she says and thinks.

Egwene seems to have hit her peak. I hope that more PoV's don't bring her down. But I expect a few good Egwene heroism scenes.

"What I had to."

good until the slap a little to pointed for me and the end " if I doomed the world" was it not Tam that did not follow his orders and was foolish to mention Cadsuannes name ( or did I not understand the exchange fully ?) I think that the original exchange was good.

Top 5:

1.Mat(please don't be butchered by BS, please don't be butchered by BS, please don't be butchered by BS)

2.Rand(I want the Jesus persona to crumble when something epic happens to one of his girlies unfortunately it would probably be min and not elayne since she still has to bear his children)

3.Demandred(he needs a fifth of the book to make up for lack of anything so far in the series)

4.Moridin(he's creepy and he knows it, hes creepy and he knows it)

5.Fain(he's crazy and he knows it, he's crazy and he knows it)

Bottom 5:

1.Perrin(I have had enough I never liked his whole poor me I can talk to wolves oh wait wheres Faile thing)

2.Egwene(jumped up innkeepers daughter who knows whats best for everybody after being out of her village for 2 years can bite me)

3.Gawyn(he's insane and his monomaniacal devotion to Egwene means he can lick my work boot)

4.Lan(just get stabbed with a trolloc spear already so Nynaeve can go all psycho crazy kill everything in Tarwin's Gap including herself pleeeeaaassse)

5.Nynaeve(please die in above fashion)

POVs i want:

1. Avi - she pretty much disappeared.

2. Random Malkeiri talking about how the golden crane kicked ass at tarwins gap. that chapter with the gem sellers was my favs, would like to see something like that.

3. Moridin/Ishmael a la EoTW prologue or was that a random narrator? got to dig that one up.

4. Bashere - what he thinks of his son in law.

5. Tam - after the last battle.

POVs we dont need (imo)

1. Perrin (i think we had enough of him loving his wife)

2. Elayne (i think we had enough of her loving Rand and her unborn kids)

3. Min (not sure why, just dont think it will be worth the space that could have gone to someone else)

4. Egwene (but specifically her personal thoughts about why she has to save the world because she is AS)

I think i said this somewhere else, but really think you could delete Perrin's POV from WH to KOS. i think he was the Wheels version of Jar Jar during that whole run.

dont get me wrong, he was needed at the two rivers and dumais, but after that? really?

P.s Is it too late to get Luckers' to write AMOL?

Yes! It is too late. The book is finished and is now with Team Jordan for final editing. :wink:

I'm pretty sure UncleButcher was joking. I mean could you imagine... it'd be renamed 'The Wrath of Cadsuane' for one....

POVs i want:

1. Avi - she pretty much disappeared.

2. Random Malkeiri talking about how the golden crane kicked ass at tarwins gap. that chapter with the gem sellers was my favs, would like to see something like that.

3. Moridin/Ishmael a la EoTW prologue or was that a random narrator? got to dig that one up.

4. Bashere - what he thinks of his son in law.

5. Tam - after the last battle.

POVs we dont need (imo)

1. Perrin (i think we had enough of him loving his wife)

2. Elayne (i think we had enough of her loving Rand and her unborn kids)

3. Min (not sure why, just dont think it will be worth the space that could have gone to someone else)

4. Egwene (but specifically her personal thoughts about why she has to save the world because she is AS)

I think i said this somewhere else, but really think you could delete Perrin's POV from WH to KOS. i think he was the Wheels version of Jar Jar during that whole run.

dont get me wrong, he was needed at the two rivers and dumais, but after that? really?

That's a hell of a list. The 4 you list we could do without all have to be major players, so we'd need their POVs. Sadly for some.

I think we could live without:

Cads: I mean what does she have to do now? Not a damn thing

Faile: Her name says it all, Fail.

Galad: Like Cads, what's his point? His troop isn't all that, he's got no one to save, if he blew up right now the only ones who would notice would be horny women across the world.

Morgase: See her son. Trav too just to mention it.

Those are the "Main" characters I think we could do without. The rest, regardless of how I feel about them, I believe they have a part to play and thus may have a POV of some sort.

Cads: I mean what does she have to do now? Not a damn thing

Cads could achieve a very great deal. For instance I could see her as being the one Aes Sedai strong enough in herself to face the stupidities inherent in the Oaths=Aes Sedai mentality once the full truth of the Oaths is revealed, and take a stand against them. She is also the one Aes Sedai strong enough to actually achieve something in taking such a stance.

Archived