DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Travel and Olympics Month: Discussion: Mythology, History, and Meaning of the Olympics

Mythology, History, and Meaning

olympia.jpg

**Olympia**

I don’t know about you guys, but I’m a bit of a nerd when it comes to Greek mythology. The Olympics are great, but whenever I think about the Olympics, all I can think about (besides that amazing opening ceremony) is mythology. …Well, that’s not all that comes to mind, but it’s the first thing that comes to mind. Olypmics, Mount Olympus, the gods and all of that chaos they caused. It makes for a great story!

But what myths are actually connected to the Olympic Games?

What is the history of the Olympics?

What does it mean for us, or has the meaning changed at all over the course of history?

Olympic.org provides a few of these answers:

On mythology….

The oldest myth which concerns the beginning of the Olympic Games is that of Idaios Daktylos Herakles. According to other myths, Zeus, the father of humanity, fought and defeated Cronus in a struggle for the throne of the gods. Finally, the well-known demigod Herakles is mentioned. He staged games in Olympia in honour of Zeus, because the latter had helped him conquer Elis when he went to war against Augeas.

And on history….

According to historical records, the first ancient Olympic Games can be traced back to 776 BC. They were dedicated to the Olympian gods and were staged on the ancient plains of Olympia. They continued for nearly 12 centuries, until Emperor Theodosius decreed in 393 A.D. that all such "pagan cults" be banned.

Now, I’m not big on sports, but I think the Olympics are an important part of our history. It makes me proud to see all these countries come together in some friendly competition. True, it isn’t always friendly, but we’re all human, after all.

So, what interests you in the history or the mythology of the Olympics? What does it mean to you?

*highfives fellow Greek nerd* :biggrin:

Ooo that's interesting! The Greeks were really big on their games werent they, since warfare and physical prowess was such a big part of their culture they loved sports and challenging each other!

It's a bit of time since I had the origins of the Olympics in school...back when the Athens ones were lol, but I kinda do remember a little...

They used to run nekkid but in full armor, right! Helmets, shields, everything... >.<

I still love watching the 'original' Olympic athletics, including discus, javelin throwing, the pentathlon etc...

Btw that reminds me of the Theseus myth where he accidentally killed his father with a discus throw :blush: but that wasn't the Olympics lol >.>

I wonder where the current Olympics emblem came from, when it was created, and what it stands for? (that last one is tickling my tongue...I know it, spammit!)

I also love how the Olympics represents Peace and the united enjoyment of sports and human power and comradeship etc, disregarding any warfare we have today. It's something that's (mostly) stayed pure for THOUSANDS of years and it makes me happy that we haven't lost this morality in participating like this, together :smile:

Sorry this response is late. >.< Craziness lately. Bleh.

Yeah, our modern society is always criticized for objectifying the human body...but we ain't got nothing on the ancient Greeks! Goodness! And it wasn't women in the skimpy clothing either! lol

Hmmm...let me do a looksie for the Olympics emblem... Ah. According to wikipedia, which seems to be making sense now...they were designed in 1912 by the founder of the Games, the Baron of Coubertin. The five colors plus the white background are supposed to represent the colors of the flags of all the nations involved in the games at that time.

"...the six colours [including the flag’s white background] thus combined reproduce the colours of all the nations, with no exception. The blue and yellow of Sweden, the blue and white of Greece, the tri- colours of France, England and America, Germany, Belgium, Italy, Hungary, the yellow and red of Spain next to the novelties of Brazil or Australia, with old Japan and new China. Here is truly an international symbol."

I like what they represent as far as unity and peace, too. ^^ Like I said, though, there have been a few exceptions. I know of one Swedish guy who was stripped of his Olympian title and kicked off the team for making racist tweets. >.> At least that means the Olympic Committee has standards!

I am one known to study Greek history and mythology for fun from time to time. I also happen to know a bit about the history of the Olympics. Mainly because I studied them last year.

In the Ancient Games in Greece, an olive wreath was the standard prize given to the first place winner. This came from a wild olive tree that grew at Olympia. Medals were not instituted until 1896, when the games came back to Athens. Winners were given a silver medal with the ancient Greek God Zeus on it, and also an olive branch. Second place would receive a bronze or copper medal along with a laurel branch. The gold, silver, bronze system that we use now didn't come into effect until 1904 at the summer Olympics in St. Louis, Missouri, in the United States.

It is funny how you mention that Leala, about the Swedish guy getting kicked out for racist tweets. Before 1951 the rings actually stood for the continents. Red for America (Both Continents) - Native Americans were usually called Red as a racial slur. Now granted, this only applies to the U.S. and Canada. Yellow stood for Asia - Calling Asians Yellow is a racial slur. Black for Africa. Honestly I could understand why they would get offended over that. Now as far as I know, it was never intended to be racial, but that is the main reason why they changed it. The rings still stand for the five continents, but no specific ring is associated with a respective continent.

Nya, The current Olympic emblem was first designed by Baron Pierre de Coubertin in 1912. According to Coubertin, the ring colours with the white background stand for those colors that appeared on all the national flags that competed in the Olympic games at that time.

I don't really know a whole lot about the history of the Olympics, except that it was a Greek thing. So this has been really interesting!

I had heard that thing about the five rings representing the continents.

Why did they bring back the games in 1896, and who was responsible for bringing them back?

Now, I can answer that question without having to dig anything up. xD

The Olympics were brought back by Baron Coubertin to teach kids about sportsmanship, because the ancients would stop all wars to compete and all. The Olympics were originally stopped in 393 AD by Emperor Theodosius, because he thought they brought in pagan beliefs.

Archived