DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Travel & Olympics Month: Opening Ceremony

Raena

travelmonth_olympics_signature_2.png

Those of you who have been around a while know that the Brown Ajah hosts a travel event every year. Well, this year we decided to have a combined travel and Olympics event!

During the entire month of August there will be discussions about the Olympics as well as discussions about travelling in the UK and London. You will also be able to participate in a tetrathlon: four different games over the course of four weeks. The overall winner gets a gold medal (signature)!

We are also bringing back the fun game “Where in the World is the Brown Ajah?”. Will you be able to guess the two locations that the Brown Ajah - accidentally or not - travel (or should that be Travel?) to?

The real Opening Ceremony is taking place in London today. Who is watching?

The Opening Ceremony is a celebration showcasing the best of the Host Nation. It also features a parade of all competing nations and the highly anticipated entrance of the Olympic Flame, which ignites the Cauldron and signals the start of the Games.

The event has officially started! See below for links to all the threads.

Me'Arearth:

The Gambles of Olympia

Warderesque sports report

Dragonmount Olympic Games

Brown Ajah:

Week 1

Where in the World is the Brown Ajah?

Tetrathlon - Guess the Pictures!

Week 2

Tetrathlon game 2 Word Search

Discussion: Mythology, History, and Meaning of the Olympics

Discussion: Would You Go to (Travel To) The Olympics

Week 3

Tetrathlon game 3 Hangman

Sports in the Wheel of Time

Week 4

Architecture in London

Discussion: London

Tetrathlon Final Game - International Anagrams

I laughed my ass of with Mr. Bean XD And gigantic Voldemort! And they included punk and rock in the music cavalcade! And the big brewery horses! And the friggin huuuuuge towers rising up! And everything!

I switched off for a bit now, not very interessting to watch all the countries. Will switch on every now and then to see Norway (and New Zealand :P ) entering, and then try to find out approx. when the countries are done. Im so curious if Muse will be playing live, since they have one of the official Olympic songs.

It's always interesting for me watching Olympics here, because I can choose between Canadian and American coverage. Typically, the opening and closing ceremonies tend to be about a half-hour to an hour off from each other, because even when time zones dictate delaying them to show in prime time, Canada begins a little earlier. During events, the US channels will often hold off on events held during the daytime and show them during prime time, Canada will sometimes air them live.

I laughed my ass of with Mr. Bean XD And gigantic Voldemort!

I switched off for a bit now, not very interessting to watch all the countries. Will switch on every now and then to see Norway (and New Zealand :P )

:D *HIGHFIVES* :biggrin:

I watched every country entering, and listed them, and posted them on the BT Goal: 200,000 thread the moment they entered (or tried to, anyway)

I'm totally exhausted now XD It was a challenge since I was on my ipod...my own Olympic Challenge! :P :rolleyes:

Arctic Monkeys were playing "Come Together" along to...sparkly winged...bikes :laugh:

Watching all teh Official speechy stuff now :)

It was great! Was hoping for a use live performance, but possibly in the closing ceremony? Anyhow, I enjoyed it alot. It was so very, very british! <3

So it's ended then? Cos the Chilean channel here just SUDDENLY stopped showing it and I was un likkle sad...

Well I had though I'd heard on the news a few days back that the Spice Girls would be performing LOL.

Want to move to UK naaaaow.

YAAARR! Take me with you! :laugh:

I'm watching it now, I was at rehearsal all morning, so I missed it.

This is sooooo exciting!!!!!!!!!!

I agree Nya, the first one looked like the Shire, and they had Lockhart doing the speech!!! They're currently turning it into the Industrial age.

And as for the UK, my whole family's English, but we're all from further north, in Liverpool, which is much dodgier than London. XD

This music is amazing!!! And the Beatles army, so approve.

The industrial age looks like Isengard...I think they're just stealing LotR sets

The torch was cool. I also liked how symbolic everything was. And the rings raining down "fire" was awesome. All of the flags on the hill of the Shire was awesome as well (my siblings and I saw LotR in nearly every part of the show :P )

I heard that NBC edited out the section of the opening ceremony, that was a memorial for those fallen in the London bombings in 2005...!!! These bombings happened the day after it was clear London was to host the Olympics. They still cannot say for sure it wasn't related. And NBC cuts it out because "it wasn't right for the american audience". Well, go kiss a trolloc, NBC!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2180179/NBC-Olympic-coverage-Bob-Costas-joins-outrage-7-7-terrorist-attacks-tribute-edited-Opening-Ceremony.html

If that's true than that's horrible that they did that. I didn't watch it. I was working unfortunatly. But as with all things recorded, I can probably find it on youtube when I get the chance.

Archived