DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Robert Jordan V Brandon Sanderson

powelly2012

Hi everyone, first of all I'm new here and sorry if this thread is elsewhere but here goes;

I started the Wheel of Time series about 5 years ago and quickly raced through to book 8. Sadly I began to get extremely busy and had to stop reading and after about 2 years I would look at the series on my bookshelf and think I really need to finish those. Anyway about 2 months ago I started reading them again and have jsut finished book 3, the reason I am starting this thread is to ask, what are the books like when Brandon Sanderson takes over? I know the writing style is going to be different and a lot of the material was already written so it is still Jordan's story but is it a noticable difference that effects the story?

Also please avoid spoilers I have read up to and including book 8 but can't remember much as it was years ago and have only gotten up book 3 in my recent re read.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's all I need, like I said I will be reading them no matter what because I need to finish this story and will re read it more than once. The pick up in pace may not be a bad thing in the final few books, Jordan has already painted a huge picture of pretty much everything in the first books that the increased pace should make the final book more exciting.

I'd venture to guess that reading everything straight through for the first time would make the style changes a lot less jarring when The Gathering Storm starts. Some readers think the last two books are among the best in the series, and others think the opposite. My personal opinion as a long time reader and many time re-reader is that Brandon Sanderson hasn't written things as well as RJ could have, but has done an admirable job with a near-impossible task (especially considering the frantic writing schedule he was trying to adhere to). Even though the prose isn't as strong as other books, the story and plot that RJ constructed makes up for it and the books remain very enjoyable.

I am envious that you'll get a chance to read the final book at the most mere months after getting through Towers of Midnight, though. :myrddraal:

I know the writing style is going to be different and a lot of the material was already written so it is still Jordan's story but is it a noticable difference that effects the story?

I think you would be better off not reading any other people's reviews and just forming your own opinion of the books as you read them.

If I were to tell you, "I think the Dark One seems noticeably different when written by Brandon; I just don't buy that he would call Demandred 'tiddlywinks'", you might become more conscious of any changes in the Dark One's personality and more bothered by them than you otherwise would have been. So it's better to avoid reading anyone else's reviews or opinions until you're finished with the books.

Hi everyone, first of all I'm new here and sorry if this thread is elsewhere but here goes;

I started the Wheel of Time series about 5 years ago and quickly raced through to book 8. Sadly I began to get extremely busy and had to stop reading and after about 2 years I would look at the series on my bookshelf and think I really need to finish those. Anyway about 2 months ago I started reading them again and have jsut finished book 3, the reason I am starting this thread is to ask, what are the books like when Brandon Sanderson takes over? I know the writing style is going to be different and a lot of the material was already written so it is still Jordan's story but is it a noticable difference that effects the story?

Also please avoid spoilers I have read up to and including book 8 but can't remember much as it was years ago and have only gotten up book 3 in my recent re read.

No worries! You'll still enjoy the books.

I am enjoying the series and loved the first time I read up to book 8. I will read all of the irregardless of the split I just wondered if anyone had noticed a difference.

Indeed listen to others and don't check out reviews or opinions in other threads. I actually envy you being able to read straight through and think CoT will not be that much of a slog since you don't have to wait on it. View CoT and KoD as one big book and should go fairly easy. Interested to hear your thoughts on TGS and ToM when you are done as well. Happy reading and drop in to give us updates on what you think!

RJ has made a good world. I concede that. The books would have been better if 7-8-9 was done by someone else. 10-11-12 by another and then the final books which would have a lot of full scale war in it by another. BS would be best for books 10-11-12, darth rand and Mat in it. I find BS's character interactions among the best.

RJ has made a good world. I concede that. The books would have been better if 7-8-9 was done by someone else. 10-11-12 by another and then the final books which would have a lot of full scale war in it by another. BS would be best for books 10-11-12, darth rand and Mat in it. I find BS's character interactions among the best.

Maybe not the best place to discuss for fear of spoilers but perhaps you can answer in the other Sanderon/split thread. Wondering what you have against 7 and 11? ACoS was strong and KoD is often cited as one of the top books in the series and is concrete proof RJ knew where he was going. Even TPoD and WH are relatively good, both have sections that contain some of the finest prose in the series. As for CoT there is no way to save that regardless of who was the author. It's just where things are in the story arc at the time and basically reads like exactly what it is the first half of a book that was split and turned into two.

I would say read them and not worry. Sanderson definitely has a different writing style. However, he balances detail with action. Read the books with an open mind. They are nowhere as bad many of the people on the forum claim.

Maybe not the best place to discuss for fear of spoilers but perhaps you can answer in the other Sanderon/split thread. Wondering what you have against 7 and 11? ACoS was strong and KoD is often cited as one of the top books in the series and is concrete proof RJ knew where he was going. Even TPoD and WH are relatively good, both have sections that contain some of the finest prose in the series. As for CoT there is no way to save that regardless of who was the author. It's just where things are in the story arc at the time and basically reads like exactly what it is the first half of a book that was split and turned into two.

Yes KoD was my 2nd favorite book in the series. Let me rephrase, the books were becoming stale, and it seems going into character detail which is what I believe books 7 onwards was going on about, isn't really RJs strength. I repeat RJ was really good in building a world. Of creating the backdrop. But fleshing out his minor characters was not his strength. He could have just authored 1 book out of 3 after LoC then co-authored the other 2.

I would say read them and not worry. Sanderson definitely has a different writing style. However, he balances detail with action. Read the books with an open mind. They are nowhere as bad many of the people on the forum claim.

This.

The reviews make you doubt yourself.

Thanks for all the opinion, I am extremely pleased that some people think that books 7 and 8 drag slightly, I remember in my first read through finishing 7 and being like what was the point in that book! Although I didn't used to like book 2 and on my second read through decided I did so maybe I missed a few plot points in 7.

7 was the last book before the splits began to occur. It drags at the beginning, but has the events of the ending to hold it. 8 and 10 respectively are just the beginnings of 9 and 11 respectively, and just drag (for all that, in re-reads I think there is a lot of really solid leg work in them that both pays off and heightens the climaxes in 9 and 11).

Brandon has managed his splits better than Jordan--except in Timeline issues. The timelines between his books are all over the place.

I say we turn this into a 'Who would win in a knife fight' thread and have the other active RJ vs BS be for that.

Wouldn't RJ win because he can't lose if he's dead? Or if he were alive, I'd have to give it to BS due to his age. Just saying.

Archived