DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[July Discussion] Role Playing Games

SinisterDeath

• Community Administrator

Role Playing Games, used to be simply, turn based games, very much like Dungeons & Dragons. Today, RPG's have transcended those old systems, and have almost litterally, become a key gameplay feature, of most video games out there.

Remember those hack and slash games, where every so often, you get a point to invest into a new ability?

How about those shooter games, where once you collect enough points, Badges, or even skulls, you get access to new weapons? Weapon mods? better ammo? Or even special abilities associated with weapons?

Or even, how about Golf and Racing games, where after you win enough, and get enough cash you can buy a better set of golf clubs? A new 2013 Mustang? Ect?

These are all gameplay features of the Modern RPG. Its ironic that the roleplaying function of games, has been almost substituted by the leveling up and advancement of a character, rather than, what role playing actually means. And that, you the player, become the character in the game. Alot of people, believe that customization of said character, is Roleplaying.

So, without anything else to say on the topic.

What is your Favorite RPG?

Are there any type of RPG's you like more than others?

If you were an RPG, what would you be?

Is there any type of RPG you perfer over others? (Turn Based, vs Real Time, vs just the leveling system (aka skyrim, or those other leveing/advenemtn systems I described)

What do you think of MMORPG's like Rift? World of Warcraft? Guildwars?

What about FPS-s like Battlefield 3, that employ RPG elements with ranks and upgrades that allow you to progress?

And of course, Are there any RPG's, that even though the gameplay isn't that enjoyable, do you like the story even better?

As for me and RPGs..

I own virtually every US released, Playstation Final Fantasy Game I can. (The REAL 3 is the only one I'm missing, cuase its not out in the US, except on the DS)

Generally the combination of turn based RPG, and story is what makes me enjoy Final Fantasy games so much. Sometimes the storys no fun,but the gameplay excels. Other times, the gameplay blows, but the storys awesome... Sometimes its both, (either way)!

(Final Fantasy VI = Best FF ever. Peroid. No Contest. All others tremble before its awesomeness)

As for other games,

I really loved the NWN (Neverwinter Nights) series, not for the gameplay, but the story. Infact, if you've ever played NWN1, you can see, exactly where bioware got everything that is Mass Effect, Dragonage, and even KOTOR from.

NWN2, maynot have been better than NWN1, but the expansions of NWN2 > Base NWN1. But of course, NWN1+ expacs > NWN2 + expacs. :wink:

I love the Battlefield Series, Bad Company was... Just plain awesome. BF2/3/ect I like becuase of the RPGness of the ranks, skill based, and of course, there scoring system rivlas that of every other Shooter out there.

I could go on, But I'd rather read what others have to say on this, not myself. :wink:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my fav is Baldurs Gate hard to choose between 2 and 3 the gameplay was great and had a good storyline and plenty of equipment

I also play Diablo all three of them but im not really sold on WoW

I like medievilish type ones where you get to use swords and bows and stuff

First off, this is without question my favorite genre of game.

It is so hard to choose just one. If I absolutely must pick one...it would be Final Fantasy VIII because it's the first FF game I ever really got into playing. It's also among the first true RPG's that I really played. I didn't own a PlayStation - I had a Nintendo 64. And I had an XBOX instead of a PlayStation 2. So I missed out on a lot of the coolest RPG's. My cousin had the PlayStation and PlayStation 2 - so whenever I was there, I always dug into the FF games that he had (which was only 8 because their 7 & 9 were missing the first discs). Now that I'm older and have my own money, I've invested in picking up some of the classic RPG's and am now going to attempt to finish or even play them for the first time.

I love them all as long as they have a good, immersive storyline. That's the one thing that I like the most about a good RPG. Gameplay is a contributing factor to my enjoyment, but given that I love the genre to pieces, I'm not that upset if the gameplay isn't the best.

If I was an RPG, I would be a mix of all different kinds of games. I can't pick just one, because there's so many out there that I could see myself being.

Is there any type of RPG you perfer over others? (Turn Based, vs Real Time, vs just the leveling system (aka skyrim, or those other leveing/advenemtn systems I described)

I'm equal parts turn based and real time. The pure leveling system of Skyrim is neat in design, but I have problems getting a grip on it - probably cuz I'm playing it on a laptop when it should be played on a console or a desktop. I'd love to get into Skyrim if I had a console copy of it. But I don't.

I've tried playing MMORPG's, but I could never really get into them. I don't do well in that kind of setting because I'm more of a casual gamer - I don't want to dedicate myself hardcore to a game and constantly run through dungeons and stuff to get all the best gear because I don't find that kind of play fun. I'm in it more to relax and be entertained. And these can cause stress of a whole different kind in your life if handled the wrong way.

What about FPS-s like Battlefield 3, that employ RPG elements with ranks and upgrades that allow you to progress?

I don't do FPS's at all. Literally - at all. I'm terrible at shooting games and couldn't play one to save my life.

And of course, Are there any RPG's, that even though the gameplay isn't that enjoyable, do you like the story even better?

See, I don't think of gameplay as ever being unenjoyable. There's a couple of times I get upset because I can't do something, but then I grind and come back and find that I can do it - best feeling in the world to overcome an obstacle that you couldn't beat before - especially if you didn't have to rely on an online guide or something to tell you what to do.

My favorite series of RPG's is hands down the Tales series. I've completed Tales of Vesperia, am very close to completing Tales of Graces f, have started to play Tales of the Abyss, Tales of Legendia, and Tales of Symphonia, and am eagerly awaiting the day in 2013 that Tales of Xillia hits stores here in the States so I can pop that one in and play too. No matter which game it is, Namco Bandai never fails to amaze me with how easily I get pulled into the story and the gameplay mechanics. Whenever I see the Tales name on a Namco Bandai game, I know that it is well worth my money to buy it, because I will never fail to be enthralled.

i have to side with razen on this. the RPG (more importantly the Action RPG sub genre) is by far my fav genre. i've been lookign forward to this discussion for a while :smile:

the .hack//G.U. series fro the PS2 :happy: it IS the game i hold all RPG games i play up too. it has everything. dungeon crawling, a very good story line, multitude of side quests, a simplistic multi-facet upgrade system, and a combo system. and most arease are less linear and more open world. i've played this installement a total of 3 times, start to finish.

a close 2nd is Zelda, hands down the BEST RPG franchise. sorry FF fans, your game series has NOTHING on this 25 year old franchise. Zelda IS the benchmark of what an RPG should be at heart, and Skyward Sword continues to showcase where the genre should go.

Action Adventure RPG's like Darksiders.

Demon Souls :dry: if you played the game, you know what i mean :laugh:

Real Time all the way. i also prefer openworld so long as the linear design is still incorperated enough to where you don't feel lost. games like Skyrim and Sacred 2 are massively open world but i feel the player gets losts because the main goal/quest gets burried and lost as well.

stille didn't stop me from dumping HOURS into Sacred 2 though; just walking aimlessly around killing crap.

i don't play them but have heard their the devil :wink:

i love the idea of FPS's incoorperating leveling systems. i think it will give a better depth quality to the game. but i cant stand playing FPSs personally.

i do know that i love racing games that incorperate a leveling system *nods*

Dante's Inferno.

Dragon Age

Demon Souls

Uncharted

Dynasty Warriors

God of War.

game play wise, all of these i've listed i feel are lacking. mostly because it becomes repetative. but the story makes up for them, and in the case of Dragon Age, the sheer different aspects of game play coupled with the different storys and the leveling system make up for the boardum i felt at times.

a special point about Demon Souls. the game play is so aggrevating its infuriating; it has no story line that i can tell (of course i haven't gotten far either) and the upgrade system is basic. but the beauty of the game comes from its infuriating game play and the realisticness of it. it forces you to change your approach and there IS no other game that will give you the same sense of achievement that thsi one does when you complete a stage.

that said, the game is saddistic in that it seems to take pleasure in killing you; i mean GREAT pleasure.

and all of these games i relaly couldn't recomend enough.

a question for all you other RPGers.

what games do you recomend for others to play?

what games do you recomend people stay away from?

--------------------------------------

recomend:

God of War

Dantes Inferno

Darksiders

Zelda (mainly: Ocarina of Time, Majorams Mask, Link to the Past, Twlight Princess, & Skyward Sword)

Trinity: Souls of Zi'oll

Infinate Undiscovery

inFamous series

Uncharted series

Dynasty Warriors 7

Batman Arkham City & Asylum

Dragon Age

Skyrim

Sacred 2

Fate

Fable 2

Demon Souls (but not for the casual gammer)

Force Unleashed

Assasins Creed series

Wouldn't Recomend:

Enternal Sonata

Fable 3

Zelda (Windwaker, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks)

Risen

Nier 3

99 Nights

Venettica

Dungeon Siege 3

Two Worlds

White Knight Chronicles

Hunted

Star Ocean

Game of Thrones

Last Reminant

Recommendations:

Tales series - any one of them. Symphonia, Abyss, Vesperia, Graces f, Legendia, pick one. It's good. Trust me. I believe there's earlier ones out there that have been released here in America for PS1, but I would need to look and find out. I intend to get any of the ones in that category too and play through them - they are that good.

Lost Odyssey

Star Ocean series

Eternal Sonata

Last Remnant - I like the PC version more than the 360 version, but the 360 version is a lot more difficult

Infinite Undiscovery

Record of Agarest War series (and all the games related to it, like Cross Edge and Trinity Universe - more Strategy RPG than true RPG, but still fun)

Meh:

Blue Dragon

Fable series

Elder Scrolls

Would not recommend:

Enchanted Arms - To this day, this remains the only game I have ever put down and quit. It was that bad.

Some of the games/series I have on my list to play when I have time:

Xenosaga series

.hack (both the first series and the GU series)

Resonance of Fate

Magna Carta 1 & 2

Suikoden

Grandia 1, 2, & 3 (I was looking at Extreme too, but I can't remember off the top of my head if it's available here or not)

Finishing all the FF games *look*

Chrono Trigger

Shin Megami Tensei (Persona 3 & 4, Nocturne, and Digital Devil Saga)

As for me and RPGs..

I own virtually every US released, Playstation Final Fantasy Game I can. (The REAL 3 is the only one I'm missing, cuase its not out in the US, except on the DS)

Generally the combination of turn based RPG, and story is what makes me enjoy Final Fantasy games so much. Sometimes the storys no fun,but the gameplay excels. Other times, the gameplay blows, but the storys awesome... Sometimes its both, (either way)!

(Final Fantasy VI = Best FF ever. Peroid. No Contest. All others tremble before its awesomeness!)

For this I shall become your devout follower and forever call your praises to near and far. GAU! and <-----------(look over there please), best use of moogles ever. I loved 3, alot, but it was this game that sealed it for me. It's the first RPG that i can think of that had SO MANY little hidden items, and hidden characters, side quests. The Espers were frickin awesome. Kefka? ALMOST the best villain (Sephiroth leading of course) Shadow? How many lead characters died in that game??!! Everything about it awesome. I would even call that a steam punk game. Mech suits, magic, air ships. Def. steam punk. I just bought this game on the Wii marketplace not too long ago.

Hmmmmmm, Final Fantasy. from first to 10. Also, Secret of Gaia and Legend of Mana, I always get those names mixed up because it's been so long lol.

Turn based. Seems they have better story.

Toss up of a JRPG or something along the lines of a DC Comics RPG where I am a super hero trying to get his way into the JLA but also possibly being pulled towards working with the Injustice League. THAT would be awesome.

Definitely turn based. It just seems the farther away from turn based and the better the graphics that we lose so much in story and plot and depth. Better graphics does not always equal the better game. I PRAY that a genuine turn based RPG with a story equivocal of FF VII. For the love of God and everything that's holy let it NOT be a hand held! Most of the RPGs I like all seem to be for Hand held systems and I just can't stand them. Hard enough for me to play angry birds on ym phone without getting a head ache let alone try to read an RPG.

Sadly I have no experience with this at all. Never had a computer good enough to make one worth while. My ass is broke. All time. lol

Not sure about this one. Would You call Dead Space one like this? I played that and liked it alot. Scared the Bejebus out of me.

Not really. Game play doesn't really matter much to me so long as the story is good.

game play wise, all of these i've listed i feel are lacking. mostly because it becomes repetative. but the story makes up for them, and in the case of Dragon Age, the sheer different aspects of game play coupled with the different storys and the leveling system make up for the boardum i felt at times.

a special point about Demon Souls. the game play is so aggrevating its infuriating; it has no story line that i can tell (of course i haven't gotten far either) and the upgrade system is basic. but the beauty of the game comes from its infuriating game play and the realisticness of it. it forces you to change your approach and there IS no other game that will give you the same sense of achievement that thsi one does when you complete a stage.

that said, the game is saddistic in that it seems to take pleasure in killing you; i mean GREAT pleasure.

and all of these games i relaly couldn't recomend enough.

Didn't know I had any fellow Demon's/Dark Souls fan in DM. :wink:

I LOVE The gameplay of Demons/dark Souls very, very much so. Story, is meh to me.

I forgot to mention.

Theres this game Series called Xenosaga Episode 1,2, & 3.

I absolutely love the games story line. But, at least in the case of the 2nd game, The gameplay Blows.

Seriously, seriously blows.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXGIkv6paY4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXGIkv6paY4[/url]
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JXGIkv6paY4#t=12877s"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JXGIkv6paY4#t=12877s[/url]
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0yr8WdYS8M"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0yr8WdYS8M[/url]
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA64xG502K0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA64xG502K0[/url]
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=FYCfzf3BpTk#t=3831s"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=FYCfzf3BpTk#t=3831s[/url]
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ3Bf7xO2vQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ3Bf7xO2vQ[/url] 

Some videos of the games. I really do love that series...

Think 2001 a space oddesy, meets Davinici Code, Meets a giant pile of crack.

As for RPGs i'd recommend?

FFVI, VII, VIII (if you can get through it.. I've also heard IX is great, but.. I just can't get past the graphics) X-2 (Gameplay.. Its actually fairly good. XIII, and XIII-2. Just skip 12.

Also, if you liked FFVII, you should just break down, buy a PSP, and pick up the Prequel to FFVII. It... Is a great story game. And It really strikes home the atmosphere of that universe.

Chrono Trigger

Xenosaga 1-3

Morrowind

Skyrim

Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2.

Dark/Demons Souls (To me, this is Gameplay over Story)

The Witcher 1 & 2. (I warn you now though, this is a story over gameplay.. Game.)

Deus Ex 1-3. (This is more shooter, but if you've played Skyrim, Morrowind, or Oblivion, its similar, just hightech.)

Breath of Fire 3! (seriously, great game)

Gran Turismo 5 if your into racing with rpg elements

BF3 if your into shooters with RPG elements.

If you have a GBA

Golden Sun

If you've never played Skyrim,

Try Dragon age, NWN, ect Try some Risen 2. Then pick up Skyrim.

Skyrim is like... well a really, really hot lady. She ruins those other good looking ladies for you, becuase you'll inevitably, compare all other women to that one nearly perfect hotty.

Ah, RPGs, the always fun genre....

(Final Fantasy VI = Best FF ever. Peroid. No Contest. All others tremble before its awesomeness)

This. Final Fantasy tops my list of amazing RPG series and Final Fantasy VI is the cream of that crop. It is unarguably one of the greatest RPG's of all time and comes highly recommended from me. In fact, there is only 1 RPG that I have enjoyed more and that is:

Chrono Trigger. Seriously, if you are an RPG fan and have not devoured Chrono Trigger yet....Do It. Imo the best RPG of all time, Chrono Trigger holds a very special place in my heart and well, it deserves to be played. And also, it arguably has the greatest soundtrack for any game ever.

The last of my absolute favourite RPGs is The Legend of Zelda, Ocarina of Time. I have had many fun experiences playing through this game multiple times, including one time where I heard that beating the game with only 3 hearts would give me a special sword only to realize that I'd been trolled after many hard hours spent completing the endeavor. Another time, my friend (who lives in a land far far away) and I played through the game while Skype screen sharing (we were using emulators. >.>)

Anyway, all of the 3 above games are all around amazing with spectacular gameplay, storylines, and music and they all come highly recommend from me.

I regret that I haven't been able to keep up with the newer generation of RPGs (Skyrim, Skyward Sword, the newer Final Fantasies, etc.) but I hope to finally get around to playing through them at some point since RPGs are just really fun in general and thus the really good RPGs are really really fun. :laugh:

Edit: I see someone above mentioned Golden Sun. I had forgotten about that game, but it is really amazing and possibly my 4th favourite. Definitely worth checking out.

I really enjoy FPS games. Mostly the Call of Duty franchise. I loved Battlefield 2, and I haven't tried 3 yet.

My all time favorite RPG the original Final Fantasy for NES followed close by FF7.

I used to be big into MMO games. I have played Everquest on and off to this day, and I used to play WoW and various other games, but EQ has always held my interest.

Currently I am playing to Diablo 3. As a father my time to tear through games has diminished greatly, but my kids still let me get into games a couple hours here and there.

I like to think I am raising the next generation of super gamers. haha.

Locke, don't even waste your time on the newer final Fantasys. They are awful past ten. And even ten was about as much as i could handle for the changes. They have become wayyyyyyyyy to linear. There isn't any open world exploration any more. Might as well be a 2D scroll screen for as many options as you have in them.

Any FF game. I love that series, and will play them continuously.

I like turn based, but am open to other styles.

An FF game.

Turn based, with leveling, like the FF games (can you tell I'm obsessed?)

Never played, but I've heard they are awesome.

Never played those, but they sound like fun.

FFXIII had an awesome story, even tho it was a bit too linear.

Mills, you didn't like FFXII? There was so much to do in that one, totally not linear in the slightest!!!! I loved XII. But then, I've played VII thru XIII-2, and haven't disliked any of them. I just love FF. If you haven't tried it, do so with all possible haste. *nods*

Going to have to agree to disagree Sakea. I didn't like the story for XII at all. The game play was awkward. Did not like the Summons. I liked the Gambit thing they did but I found it too confusing to figure out. It was awesome it just didn't work well with me. Looked good but the monster design was very boring. For a game that big they could have come up with more monsters instead of cycling the same ones with different colors. For instance, because I know many games use that trick, look at FF VII. That game had a SICK amount of monsters and did not very often use the same-monster-different-color trick. XIII was even WORSE with that.

final fantasy, the first one

the very old fashioned kind, where you do more thinking than fighting

I would be Zelda, cause everybody loves Zelda. little kids, grown ups, everyone. it's smart, and it's cute, and it's difficult but not impossible.

I lik turn based, which gives me time to plan, and I could do without a lot of leveling, which makes replay particularly painful.

do not like massive online anything.

do not like shooters, they need more visual motor coordination than I can master.

for story I'm thinking old fashioned point and clicks but I don't know that those are RPGs...

Locke, don't even waste your time on the newer final Fantasys. They are awful past ten. And even ten was about as much as i could handle for the changes. They have become wayyyyyyyyy to linear. There isn't any open world exploration any more. Might as well be a 2D scroll screen for as many options as you have in them.

Uhm...

No?

12 was very open in many regards, more than 13 was.

13, was, yes, linear, but mostly for the first half of the game. They initially claimed we would get a big open world like previous games, but that large, open world, was one map. But it should be noted here.

Previous final fantasy games, that so called open world was an open map. You had to actually go to a town, to explore it, and then everything would be zoomed into normal gameplay size. So if you were to combine all those dungeons, and towns together, that contsitute open world, then yea, the platue in FF13... is bigger than all of those combined.

10-2, offers probably the best of the old-school combat Turnbased/real time systems of the final fantasy series.

12, Shows a completely different revamp on the combat system, its not even turn based anymore in that game. (in a technicality)

What you have is just a bar that regens, when you get enough you can afford an attack. this is no different than a stamina bar, or a magic bar, in most other rpgs. Need stamina for melee attacks, and magic for magic attacks.only this was an action bar.

Sadly, the game used a type of auto-combat script system, so it was entirely possible to set up the perfect set of parameters, and you could baisclaly sit back, and let hte game play its self. That was that games downfall, It didn't make it interactive enough. (Though you could physically select every attack yourself if you wanted, but since it was so fast, you'd both waste time as well as gimp your self doing so.)

13, goes back to the more traditional select your own attacks FF element, with the action-bar from FF12. It kept to a point, the same auto-combat system... For your other allies. It didn't sacrafice the speed of the gameplay, by making you choose actions for each of your team mates, nor did it sacrafice the interactivity by making the character you were running around wtih. Course, most people just ended up hitting the auto attack button, instead of selecting there own abilities. (Boss battles, you don't really want tod o it on,...trash mobs? Go for it!)

But it also combined a bit of FFX-2's dress sphere system, in the form of roles, savager, commando, ect. (classes lthat focus on melee/magic/debilitator, healing, buffing, that kind of thing.)

Going to have to agree to disagree Sakea. I didn't like the story for XII at all. The game play was awkward. Did not like the Summons. I liked the Gambit thing they did but I found it too confusing to figure out. It was awesome it just didn't work well with me. Looked good but the monster design was very boring. For a game that big they could have come up with more monsters instead of cycling the same ones with different colors. For instance, because I know many games use that trick, look at FF VII. That game had a SICK amount of monsters and did not very often use the same-monster-different-color trick. XIII was even WORSE with that.

Not really.

Gotta beware of the rosey tinted glasses. FF7 is just as guilty as FF13.

http://www.ffextreme.com/ff7/bestiary.html

VS around 6 unique monsters per monster 'type' in FF13, with around upwards of 35 different types. (cactuars, tortoises, soldiers, ect.) Its all about the same number. Different color Schemes for each mob to bloat that number... was used in FF7 just as much in FF13.

Luckilly the total number of enemies, wasn't upwards of 600 like in some of the FFgames... You know for the trophy/achievements!

Ah - Zelda... Brings back old memories. Me and a friend played Zelda, which one I don´t know - the first or the second one. We played all day and all night. I could wake in the middle of the night and hear the theme song and realised I had a Zelda dream. lol We were specialized in beating different monsters. I was very good at killing the sand worms. We got our energy from pear ice cream with chocolate sauce and biscuits. And a lot of Coca Cola.

when i first played the first zelda we ended up having to seek out friends' kids to ask them how to get out of the lost forest and through the graveyard and stuff. no i walkthroughs back in the olden days.

i used to play it so much i'd dream it with the music too, or the music and grphics would keep playing in my head and keep me awake.

oh no... it's starting again...

I would love to play it again. I borrowed her old Nintendo a few years ago but something was missing so I couldn't make it work. Is there an original Zelda game for Nintendo DS? If so I need to buy it. Wonder how much I would remember?

Archived