DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Transcript of Chapter One Reading From ComicCon

Luckers

Rand and Min discussed the question of Rand's identity in ToM:

"Is it really as yuou said. Are you four centuries old?"

"I'm nearly four and a half, I suppose. Do my years in this Age add to those I had before?" He looked at her. "You're worried, aren't you? That I'm no longer me, the man you knew, the foolish shepherder?"

"You've got all this in your mind, so much past."

"Memories, only," Rand said.

"But you're him, too. You talk like you were the one who tried to seal the bore. Like you knew the Forsaken personally."

Rand rode in silence for a time. "I suppose I am him. But Min, what you're missing is this: I may be him now, but he was always me as well. I was always him. I'm not going to change just because I remember - I was the same. I'm me. And I have always been me."

Re Taren Ferry: I'm getting more and more convinced that the first part of that excerpt was a Lanfear-instigated dream by Rand:

Events in Rand’s dreams had awakened him.  He had been glad for Perrin’s arrival to distract him from what he had seen.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A dream? That's stretching it a bit thin. If Lanfear wanted to screw with his dreams then she picked the wrong part of the Two Rivers to show decimated.

How's this for an idea: everyone that survived Tarren Ferry's sacking has felt the pull we've seen other from other common folk and are heading towards Rand. Or maybe they're all dreaming about it.

Yeah. One thing Team Jordan seems to have forgotten is the somewhat dubious reputation Taren Ferry had had.

Fish

having a dubious reputation in the Two Rivers is a long shot from being totally destroyed and abandoned.

Not that I am saying this is a dream, just that not even the good Taren Ferry folk deserve what happened to them. It is still a tragedy.

I wonder if during the talk perrin tells rand about his wolfbrotherness, or if rand recognizes it for what it is now

Moiraine said that even in the Age of Legends it wasn't well known, and many thought it an urban legend.

Couldn't the destruction of the Ferry be simply the way the world is headed? It could have been the taint, or the people in that area could of abandoned the place and used the wood for fires during their travels.

Everyone is feeling the pull, and as the other lines of the opening show ... most people KNOW it is the end and are either too hungry to care or simply wandering to the north somewhere.

Well technically, there has never been anything like this in the wind scenes before—something new and unexpected that we have no explanation for at all. Even the weird stuff in Seanchan for TOM was explained in KOD by Semirhage.

I didn't much like how quickly this preview had ended. I wish it had gone on until the morning and we got to hear about all of Rand's preparations for the big meeting and then it stopped right before he left his tent. They probably couldn't cause it would reveal too much but the way it is right now doesn't really get me too excited. We don't learn anything new except that Taren Ferry is gone, which is kind of interesting, and that good ole Lews Therin doesn't appreciate Third Age wine.

On the other side I do like the beginning with the whole contrast between a woeful world and a jubilant Dragon. And how the wind began in the Mountains of Mist. That brings backs memories. I wonder if the end will have another little part talking about how the wind travels? None of the other books have ended that way but this is the LAST book so who knows.

Archived