DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[July Discussion] Video Games: Shooters

SinisterDeath

• Community Administrator

Shooters have been around... almost since the origin of Video Games, though in different forms.

One of the earliest I personally remember, was Duck Hunt for the NES.(Most, Annoying. Dog. Ever.. I shot that damned dog so many times!)

There was also early space-flight shooting games. (X-Wing?)

Then your mainstream First Person Shooters

Wolfenstien

Doom

Half-Life

Halo

Ect.

Later we got Third Person Shooters to content with the FIrst Person Shooter games.

Big examples of these are games like

Gears of War

Uncharted Drakes Fortune

Tomb Raider

Starhawk

What is your favorite type of Shooting game? FPS? TPS? Space/Flight-Shooter? Vehicle Combat?

Whats your favorite Shooting game ever?

Which shooter games do you dislike the most? Why?

Are there any shooting games you love because of the Story?

Are there any shooting games you like purely because of the gamelpay?

If you don't play shooting games, why not? If you do. Why?

In shooting games. What is your favorite weapon? Least Favorite?

Are there any gameplay features you like above all others? Game Modes? Overused Phsyics? Punching holes through walls? Gernades that make your enemies poop out rainbows?

Many years ago I tried some - Doom, Tomb Raider and some that I can´t remember the name of. I was great at finding hidden things but really bad a shooting. I always died right away. Often I felt sick after playing for a while and then we realised that I got travel-sick by playing. :laugh: So I settled for some calmer games. :tongue:

• Community Administrator

My favorite Type of gameplay is FPS, I perfer this over TPS. But I do like TPS gives me more viewing area of my surroundings. But I also do love me some Space-Flight-combat sim games.

I have several favorite Shooters.

Half-Life 2 (Plus the episodes) are my favorite standard FPS series.

Third Person would have to be Uncharted.

Space-flight-sim = X3:TC.

Vehicle = Battlefield 3.

Shooter game I dislike the most?

Halo. Just...don't like that game series. reminds me of a crappy unreal tourneyment, only less fun.

I LOVE the Half-Life series for its story. The mystery of what exactly the G-man is? Makes me can't wait for episode 3., or half-life 3!

Oh, and battlefield: Bad Company story = awesome.

I'd include FPS RPGs in this list, but they are more RPG than FPS imo, but you can if you want to!

Games I love because of the Gameplay?

Battlefield 2/3/ect.

One of the reasons I love the battlefield series is, even though it is purely multiplayer, Its ranked very, very fairly. I wish every fps used there system.

Instead of focusing just on Kills/Deaths like most shooters, they 'score' you.

And this score, makes people want to work as a team.

Ever have someone kill the target after you've got them down to 5 hp?

They may get credit for the kill, and you don't, even though you killed them 90% of the way..

Battlefield? You get credit for injuring them that much.

Not as much as if y ou killed them, but still credit.

You get points for healing team mates

You get points for giving team mates ammo

You get even more points, completing objectives

You get points for having team mates spawn at you. (Squad leader)

You get points for having team mates completeing objectives you assign (as a squad leader/team leader)

All off this, goes into who wins the round, and which person did the most to help the team win. not simply who got the highest kills.

This game also has a semi-rpg feel, as you gain 'experience' to 'unlock' new weapons, ect.

Favorite Weapon?

Sniper Rifle

Least Favorite Weapon?

Shotgun, its a love-hate relationship. By its self, with a pistol.. i hate it, Can't hit crap with it. But if I can use it as my secondary with my Sniper? Its the trifecta of awesomeness.

Gameplay Features.

I do like physics that can actually be used in the gameplay to take out enemies, and not just campy traps. Love me some destructable environments. Oh, and I'd love to see that gernade that makes enemies poop out rainbows.

What is your favorite type of Shooting game? FPS? TPS? Space/Flight-Shooter? Vehicle Combat?

I prefer space/flight shooters, but games like Jak 2 and Jak 3 where you have to shoot a lot I also enjoy.

Colony Wars 1, 2, and 3 for the PS1. Badass games for sure. Also Star Wars Battlefront/Battlefront 2

I don't like the games that make you jump cus things pop out at you, and I'm not a fan of a lot of blood and guts in my gaming.

Drake's Fortune games were like that, never did finish them tho. Got stuck. I liked hunting for the artifacts in the first one lol.

Are there any shooting games you like purely because of the gameplay?

Jak 2 and 3. First shooting games in 3rd person that I ever liked, and the gameplay and story was to thank for that.

They're fun, but they have to have a story too. If it's just blow stuff up and kill cus you can, I have no real interest.

Scatter guns.

Are there any gameplay features you like above all others? Game Modes? Overused Phsyics? Punching holes through walls? Grenades that make your enemies poop out rainbows?

I always invert the camera, I can't play any other way. Not really sure why, just how my brain works I guess.

I've only ever really liked one shooter and that was Battlefront and Battlefront 2. The original battlefront was really fun, with a good amount of maps, gameplay options, and guns. The sequel took awesome and layered awesome on top of it, then covered the entire thing in awesome sauce.

space invaders count? I don't remember any arcade games before that one and I fed it enough quarters to float the whole industry. everyone else went for asteroids but it was a bit much for me. then there was that star wars game you climbed inside and you'd hear voices telling ou to use the force... we gave that one two quarters a a time. it was worth it.

i'm not much of a shooter gammer tbh. but i have played my fair share of TPS's

TPS. i like seeing my surrounding. i get claustraphobic with FP POVs and i'm not good with the duel joy sticks, i'm just not coordinated enought o continueally look aroudn while walking and targetting and surveying my surroundings.

also, with TP POV i felel you get to view more of the detail and surroundings in more detail.

unless we're talking Space/Flight Shooter. cause then i'm all abotu me some Galaga ang Space Invader

galaga_ship_by_adscomics.jpg

i spent HOURS playing and dying and playing some more with my NES on that game as a kid. that and Rad Racer :wub:

ever?? well its a toss up between Galaga, Duck Hunt and old school DOS Space Invaders. heck i still rememebr the comand prompt i had to type in on the pc as a kid

c:windows/games/space_invaders.exe :happy:

most War scenario ones, liek Halo, Homefront, Gears of War. mostly cause their FPS and because i suck are walking and manual targetting.

Lost Planet, Kane & Lynch, and Uncharted

Are there any shooting games you like purely because of the gamelpay?

no, not really. i don't relaly like the genre tbh; if i'm goign purely gameplay its gonna be hack & slash button mashers all the way :happy:

because most of them are FPS, and i don't like playing in the FP POV. they also tend to start out with inverted controls and i disliek that. and lastly because i suck at manual aiming and targetting

something with alot of bullets usually *nods* ... and Bazookas or RPG Launchers :happy: also, the big caliber anti-aircraft vehicle mounted weapons. anythign that can take out the side of a building and make a big book to take out lots of enemies with one shot *grins*

least fav - hand gun. cause it sucks for ammo. and i tend to not like Sniper Rifles unless i can stay stationary and hidden.

Are there any gameplay features you like above all others? Game Modes? Overused Phsyics? Punching holes through walls? Gernades that make your enemies poop out rainbows?

the follow the bullet mode that they've started includingin some games is epic. i also like pumping rounds in flying things and watching them come crashign to the ground. nothign liek the sense of satisfaction of bringign down an airplane or copter :laugh:

First off, I am going to put a huge caveat here. I suck at shooting games. My 80 year old grandmother who has never touched a video game console in her life could probably beat me at one of these games. And my experience with shooting games is quite limited as a result.

Space shooters are fun. Especially the arcade ones. Those are some of the only shooting games that I'm (semi) good at.

Ever? Old school here as well. Galaga and Space Invaders.

I'm with Red here - I don't really like playing the war games. Call of Duty, Halo, Gears of War, they all don't appeal to me at all.

Err...not really. There's a couple of good scenes in the games I've seen others play, but I don't really play shooters much and their stories don't resonate with me as much as a good RPG does.

Are there any shooting games you like purely because of the gameplay?

Not really. I cannot shoot something to save my life in a shooting game that's in 3D. As a result, it's kinda hard to get into a shooting game much.

I don't play shooting games. At all. Most shooting games, in my opinion, are shoot first, ask questions later that don't involve much in thinking beyond what type of weapon to use, whether you should take cover, and letting the baddies have it. It gets really repetitive, really fast in my opinion.

Something big, probably. I don't know much about weaponry in these games. Can you tell I don't play them much? Maybe a big tank or something, I don't know.

Are there any gameplay features you like above all others? Game Modes? Overused Physics? Punching holes through walls? Grenades that make your enemies poop out rainbows?

Well I'll be honest here and say that there's not much I know about shooting games, but I think that fully destructible environments adds a level of realism to the game. Like if the car you are hiding behind gets hit with a tank shell, it's actually gone, not like my experiences watching friends play stuff like Halo, where they hide in a building that is supposed to be getting shelled with tank fire and that only has little burn marks on the outside. No building that I know of is going to resist tank fire.

Goldeneye. Best. Shooter. Ever. I was always Boris Grishenko. I could destroy anyone at that game. 3 vs. 1. Slappers only for me vs. automatic weapons. So I took it as my gamertag, however I had no idea how Grishenko was spelled and BGrishinko was born.

Archived