DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[July Discussion] Video Games: Strategy/Action

Red2111

Hi all, this thread is to discuss Strategy and Action Video Games for both consoles, handheld and PC :happy:

Questions!

1. Which do you prefer more, Strategy or Action games? Why?

2. What do you like and not like about Strategy games? Why?

3. What do you like and not like about Action games? Why?

4. What is your favorite and least favorite Strategy game? Why?

5. What is your favorite and least favorite Action game? Why?

6. What is your favorite and least favorite Strategy Sub-Genre ? Why?

7. What is your favorite and least favorite Action Sub-Genre? Why?

8. What games would you recomend in each category? Why?

9. What games would you advise people to stay away from? Why?

Code - for easier Cutting & Pastings of questions.

[b]1. Which do you prefer more, Strategy or Action games? Why?[/b]

[b]2. What do you like and not like about Strategy games? Why?[/b]

[b]3. What do you like and not like about Action games? Why?[/b]

[b]4. What is your favorite and least favorite Srategy game? Why?[/b]

[b]5. What is your favorite and least favorite Action game? Why?[/b]

[b]6. What is your favorite and least favorite Strategy Sub-Genre ? Why?[/b]

[b]7. What is your favorite and least favorite Action Sub-Genre? Why?[/b]

[b]8. What games would you recomend in each category? Why?[/b]

[b]9. What games would you advise people to stay away from? Why?[/b]

now a bit of info about the genres!!

Strategy Games

Definition

a genre of video game that emphasize skillful thinking and planning to achieve victory. Specifically, a player must plan a series of actions against one or more opponents, and the reduction of enemy forces is usually a goal. Victory is achieved through superior planning, and the element of chance takes a smaller role. In most strategy video games, the player is given a godlike view of the game world, and indirectly controls game units under their command. Thus, most strategy games involve elements of warfare to varying degrees, and feature a combination of tactical and strategic considerations. In addition to combat, these games often challenge the player's ability to explore, or manage an economy.

Sub-Genres

1. 4x - game in which players control an empire and "explore, expand, exploit, and exterminate". Example: Civilization

2. Artillery - generic name for either early two- or three-player computer involving tanks fighting each other in combat or similar derivative games. Example: Scorched 3D

3. Real-Time (moniker) (RTT) - indicates that the action in the game is continuous, and players will have to make their decisions and actions within the backdrop of a constantly changing game state, and computer real-time strategy gameplay is characterised by obtaining resources, building bases, researching technologies and producing units. Example: Starcraft. (Very few non-computer strategy games are real-time; one example is Icehouse)

4. Real-time tactics (RTS) - are played in real-time simulating the considerations and circumstances of oeprational warfare and military tactis. Example: Warhammer.

5. Turn-based strategy (TBS) - reserved for certain computer strategy games, to distinguish them from real-time computer strategy games. A player of a turn-based game is allowed a period of analysis before committing to a game action. Example: Master of Orion

6. Tactical turn-based (TBT) - games that through stop-action simulates the considerations and circumstances of operational warfare and military tactics in generally small-scale confrontations as opposed to more strategic considerations of TBS games. Example: Fire Emblem

7. Wargames - games that emphasize strategic or tactical warfare on a map, as well as historical (or near-historical) accuracy. Example: Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

Action Games

Definition

a genre of video games that emphasizes physical challenges, including hand–eye coordination and reaction-time. The genre includes diverse subgenres which are widely considered the most important action games, though some real-time strategy games are also considered to be action games. In an action game, the player typically controls the avatar of a protagonist. The avatar must navigate a level, collecting objects, avoiding obstacles, and battling enemies with various attacks. At the end of a level or group of levels, the player must often defeat a large boss enemy that is larger and more challenging than other enemies. Enemy attacks and obstacles deplete the avatar's health and lives, and the game is over when the player runs out of lives. Alternatively, the player wins the game by finishing a sequence of levels. But many action games are unbeatable and have an indefinite number of levels, and the player's only goal is to maximize their score by collecting objects and defeating enemies.

Sub-Genres

1. Beat-em Ups - involve fighting through a side-scrolling stage of multiple adversaries, using martial arts or other close-range fighting techniques. Example: Mike Tysons Punch Out

2. Fighting Games - feature combat between pairs of fighters, usually using exaggerated martial arts moves. Actions are limited to various attacks and defenses, and matches end when a fighter's health is reduced to zero. They often make use of special moves and combos. Example: Mortal Kombat.

3. Maze games - involve navigating a maze to avoid or chase adversaries. Example: Pac-Man.

4. Rhythm action games - challenge the player's sense of rhythm, and award points for accurately pressing certain buttons in sync with a musical beat. Example: Guitar Hero.

note: Shooters and Platformers are also considered part of the Action Genre, but there will be individual discussion on these later this month, so for now we are skipping over these two sub-genres.

so i'll kick things off :happy:

Action games. simply put there are more games in that genre i play and i dont play games on the PC much, i prefer the consoles.

i like the logic and thinking aspect of them because it makes me feel smart and gives a great sense of accomplishment, but i dislike that most of them are on the PC only because i hate playing on the PC!

i like the wide veriaty of games avialable in the genre because variety is the spice of life. i dislike that some of the sub-genres are very repetative and get wacked out; because tbh, this can ruin a really great game series (the Mortal Kombat franchise is a good example of this).

4. What is your favorite and least favorite Srategy game? Why?

my fav strategy game is Dynasty Warriors. the story line is great!!

least fav woudl have to be any FF game. while the story line is epic, i detest turnbased games.

overall, my fav action game has to be Batman Arkham City right now. the open world, goodies, quests and storyline are great, i've played this game probably 2 times all the way through so far adn will be working on the 3rd since i just got the game of the year addition with the expansion packs :happy:

least fav action game is gonna have to be "Punch Out" i found the game to be boring the 1 time i picked it up.

my fav woudl have to be Wargames; becase who doesn't like world domination and totally obliterating their enemy.

least fave would have to be both trunbased categories; becuase i cannot stand turn based games. i hate having to wiat, i like just being able to run up and hack the enemy to death. i espeically detest party style tunrbased. i feel that it limits the reactions i can have and limits my chances for success and takes the thrill out of the battle.

my fav subgenre will be covered later, but out of those listed i'm gonna have to say Rythm games; i'm a music junkee, though i haven't purchased any of the guitar hero of rockband games in recent years; preferring to spend my money on Batman, Elder Scrolls and Assasins Creed :happy:

for strategy - i'd recomend Dynasty Warriors 7. its not that well heard of and has a small following. it has a GREAT story line and is multi-player on the consoles (you can get it for both the 360 & ps3; though i'd recomend it for the PS3 due to the expansion pack which allows co-op in story mode). but this game has both Story mode, conquor mode and legend mode (combining all 3 versions in one excellent edition). its a hack and slash with a historical story line that follows the 3 kingdoms in Fuedal China. Story Mode allows you to play characters from all three kingdoms and has 3 different versions from each kingdoms POV, Conquor mode allows you to pick an officer and conquor the land of china; legend mode is basically Strikeforce, where its RPGish in the fact you build a character and develope him/her. its got major RPG and Dungeon Crawling aspects, with a simple weapon/armor upgrade system and its my top fav hack n slash style game.

for acton - right now i'd highly recomend 2 series (both can be bought for both the 360 and PS3) and that would be the Batman Series (Arkham City & Arham Asylum) and the Assasins Creed Series (about 5 games total excluding the VIta only game) the story lines and games are just awesome!

for strategy - i'd say Final Fantasy. but this is a personal biased i have becuase as i've stated, i detest turn based games. specifically i've heard FF13.1 is horrible. BUT this is the only reason i wouldnt' recomend the games; if you can stand turnbased play then i'd honestly suggest picking it up cause the story and graphics are wonderful.

for action - i'd have to say, Trinity: Souls of Zill or 99 Nights. these games start off good, but the story gets boring and the game play is repetative.

Depends on the day. I usually really like thinking and strategizing, and RTS's are an old favorite of mine, but sometimes you really need to just shoot someone in the face.

I like thinking and logic puzzles, and strategy games are a great way to have fun with that. But sometimes you're brain dead and you need a game that doesn't need thinking.

Inverse of strategy games. Usually they just aren't in-depth enough for me, but sometimes a simple beat-em-up is just what the doctor ordered.

Oh man, this is gonna be hard... I'd say League of Legends for now. Its a sort of RTS that you play in teams of five and you only have one unit to control... Its complicated, but still has pretty in-depth strategy. Easy to pick up too.

I like BlazBlue a lot, although i don't get to play it a lot. Its a fighting game with a lot of combos and moves... Might say its a strategy-oriented action game. Conversely, I really disliked Soul Calibur. I couldn't figure out what was going on and button-mashing was the order of the day.

Yes, no. All of them are really fun. (also you mixed up rtt and rts)

I like all of these too, although I have to be in a specific mood for some of them, and I am absolutely TERRIBLE at pac-man.

League of Legends I already mentioned as a good ARTS/MOBA thing. I had a lot of fun with Battle for Middle Earth back in the day, and I really like Galactic Civilizations 2. BlazBlue is my favorite fighter, and I always did like rocking out a Guitar Hero solo. [/color]

I dislike fighters where button-mashing actually does things for you.

Strategy. I love how, to me, they take so much more thought than the action games. Sure action requires more on the spot thinking but Strategy just fits me better.

I love how in-depth they can get and how it all works together but I /hate/ how long some of them can be. Some of these strategy games last for so long im never able to finish them

I like how they feel generally. For me Action games come down to how they play and how they work.

My favorite one for now would have to be League of Legends or Mount & Blade Warband. Both are fun in my opinion.

I dont really have a favorite or least favorite. They just work for me or they dont.

Tactical Turn Based. I like having a time limit to figure out my moves/attacks or how to move my army and set up defenses. If I can just let it sit for awhile and think it through for some long amount of time it kinda ruins the point behind Wargaming/Army building for me. Time limits also force imagination I feel. If I have to come up with a solution on the spot rather than having hours to figure it out then generally the on the spot on is either better or complete failure.

Again, dont really have one.

Mount and Blade Warband or Total War series. Both great wargames, which is my favorite Genre, and both are relatively cheap at this point. Still dont like how I can pause and have all the time in the world for my choices though

Warband Fire and Sword or most any Strategy with guns. Im sorry but to me the addition of fire arms takes away strategy instead of adding to it. Now its just who ever has the bigger gun and can get a flanking position.

Strategy, once I played Rise of Nations, i could not resist strategy.

I like how you can control whole civilizations and how you can see how civilizations develop and control that. It is so fun to do that, at least for me. However, if you could actually fight while you are doing strategy, like say control directly how one soldier fights, that would be incredibly cool.

I like fighting in games, but a lot are very limited in what you can do and I can't remember all the controls so I end up button mashing, like in Tekken (hope that's action).

I have not played enough to have a least favorite, it would just be the one that was left, or one of the two that was left. However, I love Rise of Nations.

I like Marvel vs. Capcom since I love the Marvel characters, but Tekken is close. Don't really have a least favorite again.

Whatever Rise of nations is, I think RTT. That is my favorite, least favorite would be artillery because it seems to simple.

Favorite would be fighting because those are fun to do with Marvel vs. Capcom and so on. Least favorite would be rhythm I guess, but i have rockband and rockband beatles.

Strategy - Rise of nations, oh so much, I love that game.

Action - Marvel vs. capcom just thought of something, what kind of game is batman: arkham asylum/city

Not really too much info for me to say.

I'll play either, but neither is a favorite.

They can be fun, but frustrating.

They're fun, but they get boring/frustrating.

Don't have one.

Something like Star Wars Battlefront probably.

Favorite would be tactical turn based; least would be 4x.

Favorite: Rhythm or fighting. Least: don't have one.

Star Wars Battlefront is awesome, so is Guitar Hero 3

Haven't played enough to have any recommendations here.

• Community Administrator

Tough call. I'd say About even really.

I loved me some Warcraft 3, and Starcraft 1&2. Yet on the other hand. Course, I normally play Action-Adventure over straight up action games. (Course we are discussing adventure games later on.

Examples of those I like are of course, Legacy of Kain series, Uncharted, Tomb Raider, ect.

But I also enjoy me some Mortal Kombat from time to time. (Contrary to Red, I LOVE the new MK game. :wink:)

Not big on the fighting ones, course the Dead or Alive games... you aren't exactly playing for the fighting. :tongue:

I love when I win at Strategy Games, but Hate when I get pwned by the CPU. :tongue:

Same as 2. only I LOATHE when stupid npcs cheat punch you in the nuts.

Tough one, as I Personally, can't group all of them in the same way.

I LOVE the Total War series, and that shares alot of things in common with Civ V.

Turn based, do your stuff, enemies do there stuff.

Unlike Civ 5, combat is actually in Real Time. (unless you autobattle, then its exactly like Civ 5.)

But it also loses out from Civ V with city placement. cities already exist in Total War, you can't found new ones. Which kinda sucks.

Then theres the 4x Type games.

I LOVE The X series.

But thats basically a Space/Flight/Combat/Sim/Strategy/Economic/Explore game. (think single player Eve Online)

I also LOVE Sins of a Solar Empire more so than Star Craft. (And they are very similar in gameplay. it just goes from planatary combat to space combat. General principles are the same though.)

I also played some Galactic Empire.

Spore.. Even with all its faults, it wasn't horrible.

About the only 'strategy' games I acutally hate?

The Facebook rippoff ones.

I like Mortal Combat, but don't care for Tekkin, or any of the others.

I LOVE Action/Adventure games like Uncharted/Batman: Gotham Aslyum/City,

Legacy of Kain series. Zelda, ect.

Not a big fan of the Puzzle games. Or the Rock-stars, or the hootinanny's... I mean My litlte Pony games. :tongue:

4X/Turn Based (like Civ & Total War), with elements of Real Time mixed in with the Turns.

Not so much of a fan of Straight up Real Time Strategy. (like starcraft/sins) but some still stand out worlds above.

I wouldn't really classify FF as strategy, least of all turn based (even if it is turn based rpg. :tongue:)

Except. for Final Fantasy Tactics, and Disgaea, Which are really great turn based games (That I would highly sugjest to Red :wink:).

Favorite? Action/Adventure

Least Favorite? Probably Fighter/Mario Platformer.

X1, X2, X3, X3:TC, X3:AP

Disgaea (Any of Them)

Final Fantasy Tactics

Shogun 2: Total War

Uncharted 1-3

Legacy of Kain: Blood omen 1 (skip 2... just...don't) Soul Reaver 1&2, and Defiance.

Prince of Persia

Mortal Kombat

Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball...

Magicka

Dungeons

Evil Genius

Civilization 5

Probably Dead or Alive. :tongue:

Anything My Little Pony, or Hello Kitty.

As I said in the other thread I pretty much stopped playing video games for a looooooong time ago. The different categories is like reading Latin to me. :laugh: So let me list some old games and some of my daughters games and you can tell me what categories they belong to.

Spore

Sims

Chaos Overlord

Zelda

Super Mario

Tetris

Pacman

Wheel of Time

Tomb Raider

Pokémon (Can´t remember the name but it´s for Nintendo DS)

Singstar

While I appreciate all the hard work and effort that went into creating this discussion, I'd like to go bandit (reynold's style! :biggrin:) and divert from the established format somewhat

I put it to the other gamers in this thread, that Skyrim is the greatest game ever made.

Whats everyones take on the Sims franchise? which is your favorit installment and how do you feel the game translated from PC to console/handheld? what are your favorite and least favorite aspects fo the series and what do you wish to see added to the franchise?

i've only tried 2 Sim games tbh, but i did also try Rollercoaster Tycoon (which while not a Sims per say, it was very Sims-esque) the first Sims game i played was 2000, and i failed miserably on it not to mention it didn't retain my attention span. the only other Sims game i have is the one that came out on the GBA, and once again i've lsot interest. i have thought about picking up Sims Pets, but i'm edgy on spending the money towards the game when i can buy Dark Souls and Assasins Creed :happy:

aside from that, does anyone else play the puzzle games like on Pogo, and Yahoo?

i absolutely LOVE Diner Dash. i can play for HOURS!! Majhong as well. and Puzzle Inlay and Fish Tycoon :happy: but i'm not a fan of Bejewled or Luminloxer(sp)

Maw - what about button mashers do you not like? have you tried God of War or Batman Arkham City which are boht button mashers but epic games?

Len - you say you like Wargames, have you tried Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Civilization or Dynasty Warriors?

Rand - Arkham Asylum is a Linear 3rd person Action Adventure. it has some RPG elements (like upgrades and side quest) but its mroe similar to Prince of Persia. Arkham City OTOH is much more like inFamous 2. agaisnt, its an ActionAdventure, but its got an open world exploration, semi-better upgrades system and is not linear storyline wise, and theres are MANY quests to occupy yourself with. out of the two, Arkham City is an over all better game, but Asylum has a much better story line. IMO, these are MUST OWNS for any gamer. you shoudl totlaly spend the $40 to pick up the Game of the Year edition of Arkham City at gamestop! it will be money well spent and you wont be disapointed (the game was rated 10 out of 10 by all the rating companies btw. one of the few games (along with Skyward Sword and Skyrim) to achive 100% in all the major rating companies)

Kae - why do you prefer Guitar Hero 3 out of all of them? personally i like World Tour and Guitar Hero 2 the best. better song selections and Free Bird unlocks at the end of #2 <3 Aerosmith is pretty good as well, i'm still holding out for a Pink Floyd, Zeplin and Clapton version though *sigh* to play Layla, Cocaine, Stairway to Heaven and Comfortably Numb would be beast!! :laugh:

SD - lol, all those My Little Pony comments, i'm guessing the kiddos are tryign to take over your consoles eh? you should give them a good pokemon game :happy: re-MK. i agree. growing up i LOVED MK3 on the GB. i mena LOVED the game, everythign about it. but afte MK3 (excluding Monks) the series took a major down turn. they went overboard with fatalities, and babalities and friendalities and beastalities and every other kind of alities and downed the amoutn of blood, guts and gore.

the last MK game ... LOVED. we even pre-ordered it, and imo it redemed the series. all it lacked was a decent story mode and a co-op like Monks. its a good game to pop in when i'm feeling the need to beat crap up :happy:

As I said in the other thread I pretty much stopped playing video games for a looooooong time ago. The different categories is like reading Latin to me. :laugh: So let me list some old games and some of my daughters games and you can tell me what categories they belong to.

Spore - MMORG i believe

Sims - RTT

Chaos Overlord - Action

Zelda - puzzle RPG <3

Super Mario - Platform <3

Tetris - Puzzle

Pacman - Puzzle

Wheel of Time - RPG

Tomb Raider - Action Adenture/Shooter

Pokémon (Can´t remember the name but it´s for Nintendo DS) - Turnbase Tactical RPG <- only turnbased i can stand for some reason

Singstar - Rythim

answering the ones i can in blue. feel free to correct me if i'm wrong though.

I put it to the other gamers in this thread, that Skyrim is the greatest game ever made.

lol Des. i'd disagree. while it was great in terms of graphics and expansiveness, best game released that year IMO was Zelda: Skyward Sword. it was both the most anticipated and well i mean it was a Zelda game.

but i'm sure both games will be gone over in depth in the RPG discussion. though we all know Zelda pwns all others :baalzamon:

I must say, this doesn't feel like an discussion xD everyone is just filling out a form =P

I agree with most of the people that league of legends is a really good game. Although I wouldn't like to call it "stratergy" because comparing a Moba game with a True stratergy game like the Total war franchise is not fair towards Total war... Sure, LoL requires thinking and co-operative play, but so does Counter-strike, Battlefield and even button-mashing games.

SD - lol, all those My Little Pony comments, i'm guessing the kiddos are tryign to take over your consoles eh? you should give them a good pokemon game :happy: re-MK. i agree. growing up i LOVED MK3 on the GB. i mena LOVED the game, everythign about it. but afte MK3 (excluding Monks) the series took a major down turn. they went overboard with fatalities, and babalities and friendalities and beastalities and every other kind of alities and downed the amoutn of blood, guts and gore.

Nah, no kids, I just like giving the my lil pony, hello kitty, and such games a hard time. :tongue:

Spore - MMORG i believe

Actually, this is a merger between RTS and what you call RTT. It plays like a real time civ 5 without the turns. And it crosses several generes. (with action as the first part of the gameplay) down into a type of warcraft 3 hero strategy gameplay. Then it gets into city building. Then into planet building.

Wheel of Time - RPG

Nope. This is an FPS game. :wink:

Unless your talking about the various web-games, than its RPG.

From what I played of the one official Wheel of Time Video game, It was basically DOOM style gameplay, you run around, you shoot things with 'magic' and they 'blow up'. You pick up weapons called ter'angreal.

I really don't like talking about WoT video game... both as an insult to video games, and to the series. (An Amrylian that can't even use any type of power without a ter'angreal? uggh.. Forsaken killer? What? How many are there? 50? I don't even know if it acutally had a story or if it was just a run-and-gun type game where you kill bosses with no names, and no dialogue... ect.0

Strategy, more thinking and less blowing up.

See above.

See above.

Fav: Evony which is really the best game I´ve found that you can play for free. Its an RTS Wargame.

Least fav: Runescape which sucks...

None

Real time strategy ones (RTS) They require more thinking and managing. I guess its like managing armies in WoT :biggrin:

Don't like those.

Evony, its awesome.

I havn't played a huge variaty yet, but normally games that need money to play or buy certain things...

EP - the questions are more for getting the discussion started, rathe rthan the discussion :wink:

SD - yeah i was thinking of teh CP WoT game that was released a few years ago, where basically your roaming around Randland and hunting for angreals :laugh: i do agree though, its not really a game many like to talk about *hides*

Matrim - i've never heard of Evony. whats it about and what do you do? is it PC or console?

I'm a Rock Band person over GH. Rock Band is so much better implemented and a better party game all around I think.

@ Red: Evony = that one Free 2 Play online game that used to have the REALLY sexually suggestive ads. Especially since Evony has nothing remotely like it in the game. Sparked quite an outrage a while back. It really was rather ridiculous. http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2009/07/14/evolution-of-evony-video-game-ads/

Thank you, Red and SD. Then I will give my opinion on those that belongs to this category.

Sims - I started playing a little when the first came out but I soon realised that the addiction level was pretty high. :laugh: It´s like playing with dolls again and building them houses and making up works - too much fun. I did not have time for any addictive games then so I quit.

Chaos Overlord - I still have it somewhere. I loved this game. It was very slow and I liked that. I got a lot of time to make a strategy and plan.

Singstar - my daughter has a PS2. We mostly use it for singstar. It´s fun. Mostly we sing to ABBA and Disney songs.

Bit of both. As many have said, it depends on how I'm feeling, for example if I fancy a quick game of something then it'll be action, but if I'm intending playing for a long time and investing a lot of thought then Strategy.

Lots of thought required and it can be challenging, on the other hand it takes up a lot of time to do it properly and I'm a busy man! :laugh:

Great to play when I'm looking for something to play whilst leaving my mind at the door. Plus they're great for playing with a few mates, strategy games aren't always too good for that

Rome: Total War probably. Love a bit of ancient warfare and world domination, plus I love the Romans

Loads to choose from, hard to decide

*shrugs*

*shrugs*

Strategy: Total War series, Football Manager series and Pokemon in particular stand out for me

Action: Too many to mention, Tekken, Smash Bros, plus many many shooters and sports games like FIFA

Can't really think of any, for me bad games don't really stick out, maybe that means I'm easily pleased or maybe I only buy good games! :laugh:

deary me, the coding went badly wrong....

I can't be bothered fixing it though :laugh:

Quite possibly (although there's some stiff competition for that title) and even if it's not, it's a truly brilliant game

Ooh I forgot one!

Railroad Tycoon!

I LOVED that game back in the day!

Economic themed RTS's can be.. VERY addicting things!

Same with Caeser series (city building type game, not SIM CIty type building, just City Building.)

speaking of Sim City..

I'm not a fan of those. It maybe 'truer' to form, as you 'zone' areas, and the AI decides what buisneses/ect gets built there. The OCD part of me, hates it when I get a dust factory cropping up when I wanted a hightech tower of awesomeness. :P

Anno 2070 is great for it, but.. It just lacked.. Heart? I dunno.

Theres another economic trading game I played awhile back, Its called Patrician 4. Main theme was sail boats in the victorian? era. Buy low, Sell High, set up trade routes, make money, set up bigger trade routes, big warehouses, run in politics and religions to gain favor and more monies.

sim ant ... was that on the NES and you could either be a black ant colony or red ant colony and you'd go and invade the other and domniate the world?

i recall a game like that that my uncle bruce used to play, but i was really younge so i dont remember it much.

also, there was this old PC maze game i LOVED playing. you were a mouse and you pushed these blocks around and had to trap in the cats and get the little bits of cheese.

It might have been on NES, but I played it on an old Mac in elementary school. You played as a black ant and you could choose to be a worker ant (gather food), army ant (attack the enemy), and uh... another ant? You'd have to go around finding food and leaving smell trails for your colony. Every once in a while kill off a Caterpillar or if you were feeling adventurous, a spider. The body would turn to food and you take it back home. The Red ants were your mortal enemy and you'd have to kill the queen. Once the queen died, you'd be able to go to a new area in the yard. The goal was to take over the entire yard and eventually house. It was amusing because the owners of the house would come out and mow the lawn or spread ant bait that would kill you and whatnot. If you went in the house the wall sockets and stoves would kill you. If you were successful enough, eventually the people would move out and the house would be condemned. It was awesome.

also, there was this old PC maze game i LOVED playing. you were a mouse and you pushed these blocks around and had to trap in the cats and get the little bits of cheese.

Also I remember this. Fun game.

And Chips Challenge anyone? Little computer guy that had to get all the microchips then get to the end of the level? Every time you'd die the game would say "Bummer."

Definitely Strategy. Well, platformers are fun, but those are going to be discussed later, so definitely strategy.

I like the fact that you have to think about and position yourself not only for the here and now, but also need to think about what you are doing down the road in order to help yourself succeed. Sometimes what looks like a really good move for the here and now will end up hurting you in the future, and you need to consider that.

What I dislike about strategy games is that they take so long to complete for me. I can get into one game session for only a certain amount of time before I get bored and need to get on to some other faction. And I hate leaving stuff unfinished!

I'm not a big fan of action games, tbh. I like platformers, but most action games don't really appeal to me that much.

My favorite Strategy games are as follows:

Civilization V

Football Manager (equal parts sim and strategy, imo)

Disgaea

Record of Agarest War series (I'd classify as a mix between RPG, strategy, and sim. Mostly strategy though, as a majority of the game is grid based combat.)

Fire Emblem

Least favorite:

I struggle very much with RTS games and slogging through them, even on easy mode. With that in mind, here's my list of least favorites.

Starcraft

Warcraft

Sins of a Solar Empire

Total War falls in the middle for me, as I like the managing part of the empires when you are given turns, but real time combat scares me in that game due to the sheer number of soldiers.

I don't feel qualified to answer this question - I don't play action games very much.

I like turn based strategy the best. I can't handle the long term game of an RTS - I don't know why, but I think it has something to do with not having breaks and constantly having to be thinking about the best move.

Again, I don't feel like I can answer this question. I'm completely unfamiliar with the action genre.

Recommendations (in no particular order):

Disgaea series

Civilization V (really, any of the Civilization games, but I think the newest one is the best)

Record of Agarest War series (It can be uncomfortable watching some of the scenes due to the fact that the voices speak Japanese and the text is translated into English, as well as the dating-sim parts where you have to interact with the brides to produce the next generation's hero. But it's a good game, imo.)

Fire Emblem games - I love these games. A lot of them are on handhelds, but they have a good story, with characters that I both like and dislike. And they aren't too difficult, but they do provide a good brain workout.

I cannot handle the speed and the pacing of RTS games. I know other people (my brother for instance) who love RTS's and can't stand turn-based games. So I advise people to stay away from RTS games, but tell them that I can't follow them very well and that it is their own decision. The funny thing is, I only dislike real time when it comes to strategy games - in RPG's, I like both turns and real time.

Just so you konw about total War.

you can skip all Real Time combat with auto-resolve. Sometimes this will give you better results, or.. quite simply, far worse. But if you do that, it plays just like civ 5. Minus founding cities.

Archived