DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Party #1- Book Club

U4ea

First, let me say, as a shawl-wearing Brown, that this party MUST take place in...

university-club-library-new-york.jpg

Here.

:)

This is the University Club Library in New York, just in case you've never seen it. I felt the little niches created by the shelving arrangements would make great little party-centers. Each one has a different genre theme (and different food!). Come on in and sit a spell!

The tour of books (and food!) goes clockwise from the left (skip a niche in between for preservation of the quiet atmosphere):

1- Epic Fantasy

on the table: cheesecake brownies, cake pops shaped like hobbits, star-shaped fruit arrangement that looks like wands, sparkling fruit punch

2- Steampunk

on the table: chocolate fudge chunk brownies, large cake shaped like an airship supported by a loading dock of chocolate sticks,

3- Urban Fantasy

on the table: death by chocolate brownies, chilli with all the fixin's, hot dogs and cheeseburgers on the grill, french fries and pizza, cold beer, Cokes and lemonade

4- Biographies and non-fiction

on the table: chocolate caramel brownie bites, cucumber sandwiches, small tea cakes, petit fours with delicate icing flowers, choice of hot tea selection

5- Young Adult Fantasy

on the table: chocolate turtle brownies, peanut butter bars, a candy bar complete with a treasure trove of various candies from around the world (Bertie Bots, especially!), butter beer, root bear and KoolAid

6- Research collections

on the table: maple walnut blondies, thinly sliced chicken sauteed in lemon pepper and served with roasted red peppers and goat cheese, buttery fettuccine alfredo, french loaf bread sliced thin and served hot, choice of wine selections

Come on in and start a conversation! Pick a genre and let's party!

Then we will begin at number one!

Epic Fantasy!

*Eats a brownie*

I like Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter, both of which I believe were referenced in the food choices ;)

I also enjoy the Wheel of Time, The Way of Kings, Mistborn, Warbreaker, The Hobbit... a number of those stories really though some might not fit there as well as I think...

Which book would you guys like to discuss? Or do you have others in mind?

Well I'm worried to say too much about that since it could be a possible spoiler...

But I do enjoy the god who doesn't believe in himself and the zombie squirrel.

I was also rather fond of the two henchmen in the city. I thought it was funny when I found out what was happening to the animals... mainly because I was not expecting it.

my favorite part was the very strong women! The scene with the older sister eating in public for the first time made me think about eating out, I have to tell you. I never really considered it as "trusting someone else to cook your food."

and the poor king... :(

Thank heaven! LOL

I picked up RedShirts by John Scalzi this weekend. Is anyone else reading it! Will Wheaton read for the audio book, so I might actually have to listen to that one! I usually can't stand audio books, but that whole "voice of knowledge" thing would be HILARIOUS! Plus, I have a soft spot for Wheaton thanks to the Big Bang Theory. LOL

I picked up the Lloyd Alexander Prydain Chronicles omnibus last week. I read The Black Cauldron as a kid but I remember absolutely nothing about it. I guess I liked it because it's still in a box somewhere. After I finish Mary Stewart's Crystal Cave, I'll start on the first Prydain book.

What sort of books do you reread from your childhood?

*laughs* Isn't it cool that they used the same library (at least it looks that way). I'm sure we can find some glowy books around here somewhere, Lanny, dear. ;)

I just read John Scalzi's Redshirts. It was AWESOME!

Archived