DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

June Sign In

U4ea

I'm here.

This was a tradition I developed myself as an adult when I lived in my home town. We would go to Apple Hill every September for my birthday. I made a close friend whose birthday was the same as mine and we would invite her. There are multiple orchards, each with nice things to offer, such as craft booths, a stocked trout pond, etc. We would buy a picnic lunch and visit many of the orchards. One had a small train ride for kids and a pumpkin patch. We would buy stuff to take back, unbaked apple pies, apple juice that was just pressed and unstrained, apple cake, jams and jellies and even apple dolls!! I have to mention that one time we went in December and ate pie and drank hot cider in the pie house while watching snow flakes drift gently to the ground.

I have a few great birthday memories, so it's hard for me to narrow down just one. Most of them aren't that great, because celebration days tend to turn into drama days for my family a lot. It's a wonder I actually look forward to my birthday, these days...

My favorite, however, wasn't even MY birthday... it was Peanut's! For her third birthday, we did a costume Pirate Party and even my fuddy-duddy in-laws dressed up like pirates for Captain Peanut's birthday party! The house looked great and her cake was a huge pirate ship that nearly fell apart before we could eat it! She had so much fun and I've been trying to top that ever since!

Here I am... umm.... I guess... um... I don't really like my birthday.

I guess it's alright... but I don't have any memories that stick out more than the rest. I am sorry, but I just don't.

Hmm.

On my twenty-first birthday, my friends and I entered into a river raft race. We made the raft out of scrap materials and the design was terrible. We ended up naming the raft the S.S. Tetanus because, well, at least one of us needed a tetanus update after making it. We built it out of old marine pontoons the marina discarded and threw a bed-frame over the top. It was going to powered by bikes strapped to barrel-paddles but, well, no. It was not water-worthy at all and it spun itself backwards within five minutes of the race, colliding with a submerged log. Everybody was thrown off, except for me. All of the cables we used managed to wrap around my ankles and I was being dragged down the river face-first by a three hundred pound tetanus farm. One of the safety guys on shore jumped into the river and cut me loose and that was the end of the S.S. Tetanus. I also lost my new pair of glasses in the river.

Most people go out to a bar for their twenty-first and get drunk. I nearly drowned.

• 2 weeks later...

Im here

Im not really a birthday person. I would forget my own birthday if other people didnt remind me lol

When I was really really young though my parents built this giant castle fort thing out of cardboard boxes all linked together for my birthday. I had if for ages after that

• 2 weeks later...

I'm late.... but here! Life has been sort of insane of late.

Favorite birthday memory. Ooh... that one's hard. I think one of my favorites was actually related to a present and didn't actually 'happen' on my birthday. For my 13th birthday, my father bought us tickets to see Cats on Broadway; the first time I'd ever seen a live musical. It's been a lifelong love ever since. :)

Archived