Osangar Arangar

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Durinax

Durinax
  • DM - Staff
  • 3,853 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:43 PM

they are named after two deadly daggers used in a blood sport durign the Descent. A game in which both players died eventually

They both attached themselves to Rand (for sure death is waiting for him) and egwene (unknown thus far whether she will die).

I think this is some of the most subtle foreshadowing in the books, Egwene is going to die. sorry I don't have more to embellish onto it but I just thuoght of this and thought I should toss it up before I forgot it
Has discovered the true name of Shai'tan, his true name is. . . Eric Cartman

it is not titles that honour men, its men that honour titles

Posted Image

#2 Sheepherder

Sheepherder
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:02 PM

I had always thought the names were foreshadowing that they themselves would inevitably die again but your idea is much more interesting. I like the idea that their "wielders" we're destined to die. I have nothing against Egwene (at least, no more then a good portion of ais sedai) but I wouldn't mind either if she was part of the body count in aMoL

#3 RandA lThor

RandA lThor

January 8, 2013, a day that will go down in history

• Members
  • 18,834 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:48 PM

Both of them were betrayed by someone on their side. This might be symbolic because their friends or wielders killed them. That may also be foreshadowing. Your idea still has merit though.

randsig_zps2393a3fc.jpg

#4 Theodril

Theodril

Novice

• Members
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:58 PM

Interesting and definitely possible. The thing that came to mind after reading this is that we might see Nynaeve as Amyrlin Seat at the end of AMoL.
"You trouble me so, Rand al'Thor," she said without a bit of heat. "Light, sometimes I think the Creator made you just to trouble me."

======================================

A lion on the high plains was something very different. Toy was loose on the high plains, now. She felt a chill. What sort of man had she entangled herself with? After all this time, she realized, she had hardly a clue.

#5 Sephie

Sephie
  • Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:49 PM

Interesting and definitely possible. The thing that came to mind after reading this is that we might see Nynaeve as Amyrlin Seat at the end of AMoL.

Nynaeve as Amyrlin would be awesome. She's developed enough as a character to lead, finally, and I think others might actually follow her. Plus, if Rand happens to survive in some fashion, she now has a much closer connection to him than Egwene does. Though she's basically Rand's AS counselor, and I think AS might balk at being led by someone who's held that position.

As for Egwene dying, it could happen, but I think it would be almost TOO neat. having a person you're not overly fond of, but can trust, is a more WoT position than being able to like the leader.

Edited by Sephie, 12 May 2012 - 07:49 PM.

"What must be endured, can be endured. What must be done, can be done."

"Take what you want, and pay for it."

http://nathanhall913.blogspot.com/ (my blog. Recently started, totally amateurish, but hopefully interesting.)

#6 Durinax

Durinax
  • DM - Staff
  • 3,853 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:10 PM

Nynaeve as Amyrlin would be awesome. She's developed enough as a character to lead, finally, and I think others might actually follow her. Plus, if Rand happens to survive in some fashion, she now has a much closer connection to him than Egwene does. Though she's basically Rand's AS counselor, and I think AS might balk at being led by someone who's held that position.

As for Egwene dying, it could happen, but I think it would be almost TOO neat. having a person you're not overly fond of, but can trust, is a more WoT position than being able to like the leader.

it would only be neat for the people who absolutely hate egwene (I somewhat hate her, but this doesn't matter in this context), but it would be messier than hell for the story

Posted Image

#7 Sheepherder

Sheepherder
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:14 PM

While Nynaeve as amyrlin would be a nice change, I really don't see Egwene actually dying. RJ/BS have put too much effort into making her the future of the WT in the next age. Plus, we've already been through three amyrlins in a couple years. Don't think we are in for another change of office.

#8 Durinax

Durinax
  • DM - Staff
  • 3,853 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:24 PM

While Nynaeve as amyrlin would be a nice change, I really don't see Egwene actually dying. RJ/BS have put too much effort into making her the future of the WT in the next age. Plus, we've already been through three amyrlins in a couple years. Don't think we are in for another change of office.

well if I didn't think of how much effort was put into the egwene arc. the death of egwene would be a huge boon to the shadow, the AS structure would collapse in on itself without a central leader.

besides cmon the 'gar with egwene had to be doing more than giving her headaches

Posted Image

#9 Sheepherder

Sheepherder
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:49 PM

well if I didn't think of how much effort was put into the egwene arc. the death of egwene would be a huge boon to the shadow, the AS structure would collapse in on itself without a central leader.

besides cmon the 'gar with egwene had to be doing more than giving her headaches

Arangar was doing more then giving her headaches. He was keeping her from dreaming. The shadow knew she was a dreamer and didn't want her talent used against them so Ar'angar was supposed to keep her from dreaming. He gave her headaches so she would keep coming back to him and he could block the dreaming ability. I've never really agreed with the theory that he placed some dormant compulsion on her that hasn't been revealed yet. He was just spying on her and blocking her dreaming.

#10 Orderofolde

Orderofolde
  • Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:50 PM

It's possible. How did the woman leading the Aes Sedai against LTT's wanting to go to SG die? I think her last name was Posae? Really drawing a blank on the name, sorry guys.
Sun is gone, Leaves are gone, Grass is gone, memory fades.

#11 fikkie77

fikkie77
  • Members
  • 547 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:44 AM

they are named after two deadly daggers used in a blood sport durign the Descent. A game in which both players died eventually

They both attached themselves to Rand (for sure death is waiting for him) and egwene (unknown thus far whether she will die).

I think this is some of the most subtle foreshadowing in the books, Egwene is going to die. sorry I don't have more to embellish onto it but I just thuoght of this and thought I should toss it up before I forgot it

following that line of thought, Egwene and Rand should be fighting eachother using Osan'gar and Aran'gar. That's not true. Therefore I think it foreshadowed that both new Forsaken were doomed to die and said nothing about the two people they were sent to.

#12 Sharaman

Sharaman
  • Members
  • 3,302 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:05 PM

The GLoD wields both those daggers and He named them - so the foreshadowing should be that the GLoD will die even if that's monumentally stupid according to the Naib'lis.

Edited by Sharaman, 13 May 2012 - 03:05 PM.

#13 Durinax

Durinax
  • DM - Staff
  • 3,853 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:29 PM

but both Egwene and rand used them, and in history the users eventually died.

Posted Image

#14 The Mistress of Baal

The Mistress of Baal
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:40 PM

Perhaps this is the last cycle, perhaps the DO will be destroyed and time will be unhinged from the wheel and become linear rather than cyclic. I got some sense of that as a possible outcome from the RJ interview on the end of the audio books.

He talks about linear time as the greatest gift, as it allows development, it allows change, it allows progress.

#15 Tamyrlin1

Tamyrlin1
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:31 PM

Perhaps this is the last cycle, perhaps the DO will be destroyed and time will be unhinged from the wheel and become linear rather than cyclic. I got some sense of that as a possible outcome from the RJ interview on the end of the audio books.

He talks about linear time as the greatest gift, as it allows development, it allows change, it allows progress.

I've had a theory that the DO can in fact be destroyed. But I also think that this could be just a part of the current cycle of the wheel. I think it could be possible that the DO is a different entity every turning of the wheel, and in this way, the pattern is allowed to repeat in the exact same manner every time around without the DO ever "learning" how to overcome the pattern. Maybe the DO gets destroyed, but now Moridin becomes the new "DO" (Maybe because he's connected to Rand in some way.) Or perhaps Fain could become the new one. But either way, the role of the DO is essentially played by a new being when the Dragon Reborn returns again to fight him.

The idea that maybe time could continue in a linear fashion as a utopian society is also a neat thought, and would tie the series up in a very definite way. so I would certainly enjoy an ending of that sort just as well.

#16 Master Ablar

Master Ablar
  • DM - Staff
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:37 PM

It's possible. How did the woman leading the Aes Sedai against LTT's wanting to go to SG die? I think her last name was Posae? Really drawing a blank on the name, sorry guys.

Latra Posae Decume. She died during the breaking.

Edited by Master Ablar, 13 May 2012 - 04:37 PM.

I think one of the reasons the Black Tower has become so popular in fandom isn't just that you get to dress in black and set fires with your mind, it's the sense of struggle the Asha'man have. To save the world, they have to embrace the part of themselves that's terrible and destructive. They risk madness to learn how to channel. It's a tremendous sacrifice they make.

#17 Niel an' Tyomn

Niel an' Tyomn

Tai'Shar Niel.

• Members
  • 5,127 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:41 PM

I think that if Egwene died Nynaveave would go on a killing rampage and try and kill the Aes Sedai. She said she was going to do so if Rand, Perrin, or Mat died in EotW

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So I'm back now. It's kinda a small deal. :smile:

#18 rand4747

rand4747
  • Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:44 PM

I don't know if she would now but someone would certainly pay for the deaths, She does not serve the White Tower but "serves" Rand, Egwene brings a bit of conflict couse she also "serves" Egwene but not what she represents (The Tower), so If someone in The Tower is responsible they better start running.