DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How will Rand bite it? (before he gets brought back)

Randommer

How will Rand bite it? (before he gets brought back)  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who will kill Rand? / How will he die?

• Fain
    • Mierin/Cyndane/The artist formerly known as Lanfear
    • Demandred
    • Moridin
    • Graendal
    • the Dark One
    • Taim
    • Member(s) of the Black Ajah / Shadow Asha'man
    • some sort of Moridin link-related suicide (possibly aided by Alivia)
    • his never-healing wounds
    • Other (please explain)

So, it's pretty clear now that the whole dying and getting resurrected thing will happen in some form in AMoL. But when you think about it, there really are a whole of a lot of worthy contenders in the let's-kill-Rand competition, not to mention the fact that one of them is his own body.

I think I'm gonna have to give the edge to Demandred (it would just be so awesome to have him finally beat Lews Therin, only for Rand to be all 'psych, loser!') but any of them could manage it under the right circumstances.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted for the suicide option, even though it's not what I believe will happen exactly. It's just closest. I'm all about the Lightsiders killing him: Moiraine, Gawyn, and Alivia, with others playing various roles.

For somewhat obvious reasons, I say Demandred. Brandon has said right from the start Demandred will be playing a big part in aMoL. I think that it would be the most interesting scenario if he killed Rand. I mean, he is always juuuuuuuuuuuuuust behind Lews Therin. His only reason for joining the Shadow is to beat LTT (and he thought the DO would win, thus he would beat LTT)

Mesaana wonders in LoC would Demandred even be where he was now if not for Lews Therin.

Graendal says something similar, saying he was prime candidate for the Dragon if not for LTT. (not the CoL, but the "title" Dragon, leader in the AoL)

Actually killing Rand would be an interesting scenario, what would he do, when he thinks he has proven himself the better man? What would he do when Rand comes back.

Not really that I believe it will happen, more that it would be the most interesting scenario, with the most potential. If say, Graendal kills him, its no big deal, she will not be changed. Moridin would be second most interesting, what with the link they got going on, but again, Moridin wouldn't change much (mentally, in any case) if Rand dies, it'll just be a job well done.

Terez's thoughts I also like in terms of potentially interesting scenes. Gawyn would be similar to Demandred, he hates(hated) Rand, what would he do after? What would Egwene think?

Moiraine and really any of the others also present interesting scenarios.

Edit: Alivia has to help him some way, so perhaps Demandred smacks him pretty badly, then Rand tells Alivia to ease his pain or something like that. The viewing is "helping him die" doesn't necessarily mean actually hurting him, maybe it is something like making him more comfortable while he dies, or giving him some kind of Forkroot to knock him out after being totally ripped up.

I theorise that Rand will spill blood from his never-healing wounds onto one of the bloodrings (which turn out to be made from SG rock) which he gets from Gawyn after Alivia tells him how they work, and uses their power to get close to the DO, channelling, without being noticed. The bloodring drains his life from him, but not before the Bore is Healed (by someone else while Rand holds the DO off).

Dunno how much of that is possible.. :wink:

I voted other. I think Avienda will kill him. After all she mentions that she has to meet her Toh (killing Rand vs Killing herself - she can't do both). She will probably be assisted by Alivia in doing it. But Avienda will kill him.

I voted other. I think Avienda will kill him. After all she mentions that she has to meet her Toh (killing Rand vs Killing herself - she can't do both). She will probably be assisted by Alivia in doing it. But Avienda will kill him.

But Aviendha already met that toh when Elayne forgave her and they became first-sisters. The motive you rely on is gone!

Guest sarmation

A few books back I had a passing thought that maybe Alivia will "help Rand die in a different sort of way.Was thinking maybe rands blood from his woulds only drains on the rocks.But what overall happens is Rand and Alivia Block the source off totally from the entire world hence stopping the dark one from ever touching it again here and ushering the world as we now live in with no way to touch the source.No more aes sedai no nothing only normal people and the start of a age never experienced before.

A memory of light is the memory of the one power that was once wielded

moiraneis going to off him, ive always thought that from the first time i had read the series. I also think this was the first subtle foreshadowing of the series. all the way back in book one. It would make sense since she has always said that she will kill him first if the dark side tries to take him over. So i sayRand is going to merge or be taken over by the black and then Moirane is going to come in and blast him with balefire, since she was also the first to use in in the story. Some more sublte foreshadowing.

So in conclusion. Moirane, Balefire, Blight, Resurection.

For somewhat obvious reasons, I say Demandred.

Don't forget...'almost' is the story of his life. :wink:

Exactly, so imagine his reaction to having thought he had killed Rand for good, but then he comes back! :wink: It would be an "almost" moment, but yeah, as I said, it is not really likely to happen, I just think it has the most potential for an exciting story behind it.

Huh, some unexpected results, I have to say. No one's picked Lanfear? Even after the whole dream-trap (possibly) thing? And only one Fain vote? I can see why Moridin's in the lead, what with him sort of being Rand's dark counterpart and all, but even though it's totally possible that Moridin will be the one to off Rand, I have to say that personaly I'd be underwhelmed. I mean, Moridin just seems so impersonal. The battle between him and Rand has never really been that exciting to me, for some reason, though maybe that's just me being weird. But Demandred? Now that would be drama. Lanfear would be my second choice, for pure entertainment value (of the WHAT! and calling friends who don't really know what you're talking about variety).

To Terez and the other proponents of the Light-aided suicide thing... *sigh*

It's totally the most likely scenario in terms of in-text foreshadowing, Arthurian parallels, etc... But damn it I like me some drama (and no; for some reason in my warped mind forced suicide is not as dramatic as a Demandred smackdown :tongue:).

To Terez and the other proponents of the Light-aided suicide thing... *sigh*

It's totally the most likely scenario in terms of in-text foreshadowing, Arthurian parallels, etc... But damn it I like me some drama (and no; for some reason in my warped mind forced suicide is not as dramatic as a Demandred smackdown :tongue:).

Well, like I said, I don't think it will be quite that simple. And as for drama...isn't Gawyn attacking him dramatic? Moiraine showing up and fulfilling her importance to his destiny by balefiring his ass? Not dramatic enough for you? Demandred killing him would be lame in comparison, I think.

hmmm, I am having serious doubts that Rand will die before the Pit of Doom, the two cover arts point strongly towards death being at Shayol Ghul, and the "twice dawn" part of the prophecies has been cleared up. (without wanting to reveal anything, because of spoilers, look at both cover arts for further explanation)

hmmm, I am having serious doubts that Rand will die before the Pit of Doom

The point was never that he would die before going there - only that he would die before winning the Last Battle, whatever that entails.

the "twice dawn" part of the prophecies has been cleared up.

It hasn't.

(without wanting to reveal anything, because of spoilers, look at both cover arts for further explanation)

There's no point in pretending to avoid spoilers if you're going to post them anyway in every thread where they are relevant.

Archived