DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Shakespeare Week Movie Thread

Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to my movie thread. Now, you might be thinking one of two or three things.

"Why should I watch the movies? The plays really capture the essence of what Shakespeare wanted to say."

"Why should I read the plays? I can't understand what they're talking about on paper. The movies can give me more context and cut down my work."

Some of us are more inclined to read the plays and think they're the end all be all of Shakespeare, and that the movies can't even compare. And some of us prefer the movies, wanting the actors and the directors to do all the work.

But you'd be surprised how creative these directors and actors can be.

Of course, we have movies that want to portray exactly what Shakespeare intended:

Kenneth Branagh's Henry V

Franco Zefirelli's Romeo and Juliet

Then, there are movies with spot-on dialogue, but different settings:

Mel Gibson’s Hamlet (set in a more Medieval setting, rather than Renaissance)

Baz Luhrmann’s Romeo + Juliet (set in modern day Verona Beach, Calfiornia)

And then we have movies that seem to be an homage to a Shakespeare film with a similar plot, but completely different dialogue and settings:

Gil Junger’s 10 Things I Hate About You as an homage to the Taming of the Shrew

And some would argue… Disney’s the Lion King as an homage to Hamlet.

This third set is what sets Shakespeare movies apart, in my opinion. You can argue and debate about the similarities and differences, what the director meant, what this line meant, etc. They’re open for interpretation.

I’m of the camp that says all these movies add to the experience. Not just one set. I still suggest you read the play along with them, but the movies give more of a creative feel to what’s being said, a different way of seeing things.

So, my task to you is...discuss.

Which movies are your favorites? Do you prefer the plays to some or the films to others?

What can be improved? What are some of your favorite moments?

Add other questions and quandaries.

...Just talk to me? :P

I remember watching an adaptation of Antony and Cleopatra that was textually accurate, but the acting was quite horrible. I'm pretty sure Elizabeth Taylor was Cleopatra, but it was hard to take the movie seriously because she looked like she was gray with all of the make-up they had put on her and her voice acting made it sound like she was trying to be overdramatic, which succeeded. The play is quite tragic, so when you find yourself laughing at the tragic parts due to the terrible acting, the adaptation is probably a failure.

I remember the exact line that made me laugh too - Cleopatra was saying "Ooooh, Charmian!" (Charmian was one of her ladies-in-waiting) and the way she said it was quite hilarious. I can't imitate it through text.

I remember that play from my Shakespeare class in high school. We didn't have enough time to get through the play, and the movie even made our teacher bored. I think it was the same one you're referring to, but it didn't make that big of an impression on me besides that Elizabeth Taylor was just not made to be a Shakespeare actress.

But that reminds me of a play we saw in the same class. It was a stage play made by some local guild. It was Hamlet and it had us in stitches for the whole thing! Good acting is essential. I think the funniest part was when Hamlet killed Polonius, and his southern accent came out. (I live in Louisiana.) And he starts his soliloquy this way: "This...is a MAY-UN!!"

Of all the classes you mentioned I prefer the modern movies that pay homage to Shakespeare. It is an indication the the works are timeless. Classic tales that can be molded to fit any number of different circumstances.

I am a little brain dead at the moment to think of other examples but both those listed could be argued to be well told stories that were in the spirit of Shakespeare.

There was a good rendition, IMO, of Midsummer Night's Dream that was done somewhat recently. I'm pretty sure it was a Hollywood version, I just don't remember who was in it.

@Turin: I love all three types. :) I'm all about creativity. But you're right, those modern homages show just how timeless Shakespeare is, and will continue to be. He's stamped in our culture as people.

@Heart: I think that was also the start of Helena Bonham Carter's career as a crazy person. Well, playing a crazy person.

@Razen: Was that the one where everyone was riding around on bicycles? I liked that one. :) Midsummer Night's Dream is one of my favorites. They made one about one or two years ago for Tempest. By the same lady who made the rendition of Titus with Anthony Hopkins. I REALLY want to see it.

@Razen: Was that the one where everyone was riding around on bicycles? I liked that one. :) Midsummer Night's Dream is one of my favorites.

I saw that one! I can't remember much more about that movie version though, so my suspicion is that it simply wasn't very memorable. Considering that I can still remember one stage production from about 30 years ago - that's how good THAT version was.

besides that Elizabeth Taylor was just not made to be a Shakespeare actress.

I would have to disagree here actually, watch her as Kathrine in Taming of the Shrew she is A-MAZING! Soooo good.

I have to say I really loved the "newer" version of Much Ado About Nothing. I wouldn't have thought to cast Denzel Washington as the Prince but he was awesome! He made the movie I think, I felt like he could do anything after I saw that. I do wish Morgan Freeman would consent to do some Shakespeare his voice is made for it I think. *laughs*

I had to study the modern Romeo+Juliet (Baz Luhrmann's) for English a couple of years ago. That was the first Shakespeare I'd seen (after which I read R+J), and although I didn't really like it, I agree with Turin it's modern setting suited the play too - it was very well made in that it mixed the archaic prose with the teenage gangs setting :biggrin: it still got the message and ideas clearly across in a fast action pace that kept it interesting :)

@Heart: I think that was also the start of Helena Bonham Carter's career as a crazy person. Well, playing a crazy person.

There's a Shakespeare version with Helena Bonham Carter!!!? SQUEE MUST SEE! :D

@Razen: Was that the one where everyone was riding around on bicycles? I liked that one. :) Midsummer Night's Dream is one of my favorites. They made one about one or two years ago for Tempest. By the same lady who made the rendition of Titus with Anthony Hopkins. I REALLY want to see it.

Is that the Midsummer Nights Dream version with Stanley Tucci as Puck and Kevin Klein as the donkey ear guy? LOOOOOVED IT!!! :laugh: had me rofling sooo much at Pucks scenes :laugh:

When I did my exams in town last year I got to see a youth drama group play of AMND in which my friend played Helena. Only Shakespeare theatre I've seen so far and they were great! :happy:

I really want to be part of a Shakespeare theatre production when I get the chance! Maybe when I live in a town when studying :smile:

I really enjoyed 10 Things, which I looked at for Media Studies last year - read the Taming of the Shrew after :biggrin:

@Elgee: Fun! :D I need to keep an eye out for plays in my area. But that movie was cute. :)

@EP: I've actually never heard of that one, but it sounds like a lot of fun. :)

@Rashi: I remember that one. It left me with a very 'meh' impression. I love Taming of the Shrew because it can be seen in a lot of ways. My teacher showed us a couple clips from the 1920s version, maybe it was a silent film, I don't know. But the Kate from that one had me in stitches! I loved that Much Ado About Nothing, too! That play is another one of my favorites. <3 It just gave me a generally warm, fuzzy feeling. I even got to laugh at Keanu Reeves thinking he can act.

@Nya: Yes, you must! I love that one! That was actually the first time I saw Helena Bonham Carter in a movie, she was great! then I saw her as Mrs. Lovett in Sweeney Todd, and I was like, "OMG, it's Ophelia!"

I loved that Much Ado About Nothing, too! That play is another one of my favorites. <3 It just gave me a generally warm, fuzzy feeling. I even got to laugh at Keanu Reeves thinking he can act.

You know much as I think he can't act it worked for that role. I don't know maybe because he was standing up next to Denzel it just made him look better or something. I dunno, but I thought the whole cast was great, including Keanu which was a little surpising for me. Not that I think he should win an Oscar but there you go. *G*

Has anyone seen the Branagh version of As you like it? I really love that play as well and the version he did was amazing I thought.

I have AMND on dvd... I'm going to watch it tomorrow hopefully... don't think I've actually seen it all the way through.

I actually really liked Baz Luhrmann's Romeo and Juliet, I do actually quite like that play I think. I also love Get Over It and 10 Things. I watched a fairly modern version of The Mechant of Venice at uni but I don't remember it as I was falling asleep through it... we had just handed in or been somewhere or something so we were all exhausted!

I would really like to see the newest version of The Tempest, I think it's Helen Mirren playing Prospero but they have changed the name to Prospera.

Oh, that's what they did with Prospero. Well...I guess that's acceptable. She did a good job with Titus, so I'm willing to go with it.

I want to see She's the Man, which was a modern homage to...12th Night, I think.

LOL I love She's the Man, it's one of these sort of dumb teen movies that I just love to watch :D

I really like the modern R+J, the one with Leonardi DiCaprio. I first saw it when I was really young and didn't really get it, but now that I'm older, it's one of my favorite adaptations.

I love the Much Ado About Nothing one too, the one with Keanu Reeves. We watched it in English in high school and it was awesome. We also watched part of the Taming of Shrew with Elizabeth Taylor, and I agree with Rashi, she really fit the part in that one.

Archived