DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

AMOL reading at JordanCon

Terez

Not much to reveal here, guys. We heard in the #wotgh that the first POV would be someone who works for Jarid Sarand. It was one of his bodyguards (I think his name was Bari, and we've never seen him before, since we've never seen Jarid). Essentially, Jarid has gone a little bit batty since we last heard of him, and he thinks that Elayne is causing all the problems in his camp, like the food spoiling (which is still happening in his camp), the bubbles of evil (in this scene it was metal softening, ruining all of their weapons). There was a similarity between Bari (?) and Androl, really...he was working on stone spearheads to fix their weapons, and there was the same craftmanship thing going on. Eventually, all of Jarid's men left him, and Bari (?), his most faithful servant, decided to leave him too, and they tied him to a tree (rather politely), and walked away north to go fight in the Last Battle.

It was also revealed that the Whelan art is finished, and we'll be seeing it soon. They originally planned to show it at JordanCon, but then Sweet's son said he was bringing all of the original DKS paintings, so they decided to reveal Whelan's art later. There will be a full transcript of the Q&A whenever the video of the panel (including the reading) is posted, but they're going to hold off on that for probably a couple of weeks.

Edit: The POV character was Bayrd. (Peter was kind enough to pass on the spelling.) There was also a Lord Karam who got into it with Jarid a little bit. Bayrd was a bit less hot-headed.

A few more revelations from the Q&A:

They would like to turn in the final draft to Tor by June 15, but that's looking unlikely, though they didn't say so. They divided the book into 9 sections not counting the epilogue. Brandon is working on section 6 right now if I recall, and Team Jordan is working on sections 7-9. I think the epilogue was mostly written by RJ, so not a lot of work to do there from what I understand. After that, they have to do another draft just with Team Jordan, revising Brandon's changes. Then they'll send it to the beta readers, which will probably take about a month, maybe a bit less, from what little details I've picked up. So June 15 looks unlikely to me, but that's their goal.

Harriet doesn't think that it's likely Universal/Dabel Brothers will manage to make a film. Jason is their consultant I think, and Harriet mentioned (without naming Jason) that he didn't think much of their current script. She said their option expires after 7 years, and it's been almost that long, since they bought the option when RJ was still alive. She hinted that she would very much like to see it done well, as they're doing with Game of Thrones, and she thinks WoT will be even better than GoT in that format.

A few more revelations from the Q&A:

They would like to turn in the final draft to Tor by June 15, but that's looking unlikely, though they didn't say so. They divided the book into 9 sections not counting the epilogue. Brandon is working on section 6 right now if I recall, and Team Jordan is working on sections 7-9. I think the epilogue was mostly written by RJ, so not a lot of work to do there from what I understand. After that, they have to do another draft just with Team Jordan, revising Brandon's changes. Then they'll send it to the beta readers, which will probably take about a month, maybe a bit less, from what little details I've picked up. So June 15 looks unlikely to me, but that's their goal.

Thanks Terez, good stuff! Hope this finally puts to rest some of the idiotic comments from people about the delay. Just hope they are starting to understand how involved this process is when done the right way. It is crucial they get this final installment right.

In that same vein, Harriet also touched on why January, instead of pressing for November. Apparently the earliest date they thought they could make would be after Thanksgiving, and she said this is really too late for the holiday season because things can't be shelved.

As a bookseller, I can tell you that is absolutely true. We start getting in a lot of product, books and other things, for the holidays, starting as early as September. Literally, that early we start getting in stuff for Christmas and just lots of product to be put on the shelves for the holiday season. And by some point in November (usually early November), we literally have no room to shelve new product. It's there, in our back room, but it really gets to a point where we can't put anything new out.

Now, a bestseller, of course, would have its own place, but there would only be room for it in that one place, and once it's off the bestseller list, we wouldn't have any room for it until January anyway.

Anyway, it sounded like it would really be a stretch for them to have it ready by that November date anyway, but that is another factor for the late date.

Nice, always count on you to get the good stuff!

Interesting PoV, although it doesn't seem there is much to be gained from it, other than everyone is gathering for the LB.

The Bubble of Evil is a good one though, I wonder if the stone weapons will have any real part? (doubt it, probably just another way to show the DO messing with everyone, but may as well keep an eye on it)

As for the release, I really am not bothered. For myself, I don't really need any explanations from Team Jordan. Although it is certainly nice they are keeping people informed, as long as they are doing the best they can for the book I am content to wait until they announce it is finished.

I was wondering the same thing about the stone, if it would be relevant at all. I guess it depends on how widespread the melting metal is. Also, would weapons forged with the One Power be affected? If not, we could see more of those.

The metals melting may just be localized to that area/army though. The bubbles of evil usually are.

I was wondering the same thing about the stone, if it would be relevant at all. I guess it depends on how widespread the melting metal is. Also, would weapons forged with the One Power be affected? If not, we could see more of those.

The metals melting may just be localized to that area/army though. The bubbles of evil usually are.

Yeah, that's why I hesitated, plus the DO wouldn't want his Trolloc's weapons to melt.

I was thinking along the lines of Power wrought weapons as well. And turning the melting metal to Cuendillar.

Yeah, my impression was that it was localized. lol...now I'm wondering if I've talked to you; I had a conversation about this earlier with...someone. Forget who...

I wonder if I can get my wife to call me Lord Karam from now on.

lol, good luck with that. And congrats!

Sitting at the Verin panel with Maria now. One question answered, that Harriet declined to answer before:

Q: Was Verin at the Darkfriend Social?

Maria: I believe she was.

Edit: more...

Ishara: Only three characters in the series used the phrase 'it's time to roll the dice': Mat, Pedron Niall, and Verin. Is there any significance to that?

Maria: No. (implication is that it's not an uncommon phrase)

Southpaw: Has Verin ever been to the 'Finns or through the Rhuidean rings?

Maria: Not that I know of.

Q: Was there any significance to Cadsuane and Verin, two of the most important Aes Sedai, being from Far Madding?

Maria: Not that I know of.

Southpaw: Did Verin kill Barthanes?

Maria: No.

And a random one:

Q: Is there any relationship between Perrin's dream visions and Min's viewings? Does she see into Tel'aran'rhiod?

Maria: I don't know. I might be able to find out.

Southpaw reported that Wilson said Rand's fate will not be left open at the end of the book; we will know what happens to him.

From the Ogier panel:

Q: Can you confirm that there is only one Book of Translation?

Maria: No, I can't authoritatively confirm that.

Terez: Can you confirm that there is only one Talisman of Growing? Because it looks like they found one in Ebou Dar.

Maria: No, I can't confirm that. (Her expression etc. seemed to suggest that there was definitely more than one.)

Q: Was the bubble of evil in the AMOL prologue a localized effect?

Maria: Yes.

Maria told an interesting story about a cockroach infestation in the carriage house, which she says inspired the bubble of evil in TGS.

yks: Was Aviendha's usage of the crystal columns to see the future something only she could do, or something anyone could do?

Maria: RAFO.

I think that's it. Con is over now. If I remember something else, I'll post about it later.

Im am soo afraid the book will be too short, I mean POV of Jarid, Bari and who the what the hell are these people......I will be saying goodbye to very important friends that mean so much to me and I want to feel complete and satisfied.... Not a hater just feelin a moment of panic...sorry people

lol, it's the same as the last two books really. The prologue always has a POV from someone we've never seen before; this time it's at least someone we've heard about before, and wondered what the hell happened to him.

I was at least mildly curious as to what happened to him, though he turned out quite differently than I expected. I had gotten the impression that he was at least somewhat honorable, since all the ambition was in his wife (not that he could rise any further, as a man; he's the head of his house, not Elenia), and because he was so dedicated to her. Elenia said so anyway. But oh well.

here is a pretty accurate way Wilson described to me my question about Rand. It is not 100% word for word but very very close. We had been talking about multiple things for a bit so I decided to throw him a question that I know has been discussed here and there among fans.

Me: So I've been wondering, and I think many others have as well, will we know for 100% sure what Rands fate is at the end of A Memory of Light?

Wilson: Oh yes. There will be NO doubt in anyones mind what Rands fate will be at the end. It will sure to surprise and amaze people. When Jim (RJ) told me how the series ended I just shook my head and said, "Bubba, that is just beautiful. Just beautiful." So yes you will all know.

Me: Ok I was afraid that might get a read and find out type answer so thanks for assuring us that Rands fate will not be open ended for interpretation.

Wilson: Yep there will be a definite confirmation by the end of what happens to him.

here is a pretty accurate way Wilson described to me my question about Rand. It is not 100% word for word but very very close. We had been talking about multiple things for a bit so I decided to throw him a question that I know has been discussed here and there among fans.

Me: So I've been wondering, and I think many others have as well, will we know for 100% sure what Rands fate is at the end of A Memory of Light?

Wilson: Oh yes. There will be NO doubt in anyones mind what Rands fate will be at the end. It will sure to surprise and amaze people. When Jim (RJ) told me how the series ended I just shook my head and said, "Bubba, that is just beautiful. Just beautiful." So yes you will all know.

Rand is resurrected via Tel'aran'rhiod, but only a handful of people really know that. Mat betrays the secret when he blows the Horn, so that starts the rumors that will make the legends, but Rand is resurrected, finishes the job (whatever is causing the world to hang in the balance), and goes off to live in the Westwood with Min until she dies, at which point Elayne and Aviendha will join him (not that they won't visit in the meantime). The Westwood will become the king's forest where only Perrin can hunt (and maybe his descendants). Just for the record. ;)

Rand is resurrected via Tel'aran'rhiod, but only a handful of people really know that. Mat betrays the secret when he blows the Horn, so that starts the rumors that will make the legends, but Rand is resurrected, finishes the job (whatever is causing the world to hang in the balance), and goes off to live in the Westwood with Min until she dies, at which point Elayne and Aviendha will join him (not that they won't visit in the meantime). The Westwood will become the king's forest where only Perrin can hunt (and maybe his descendants). Just for the record. ;)

Is that your theory or is that something you were told?

yeah I just found it interesting because he was very adamant with his answer. I was seriously expecting a "oh... You'll find out soon enough." Or a yes or no type answer but he was nodding his head and assured me that we won't have any doubts as to what happens to Rand. Quite an interesting and fun guy to talk to

Is that your theory or is that something you were told?

1240265992468.jpg

Archived