DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Afternoon Tea with Brandon Sanderson

Luckers

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interview: Jan 25th, 2005

TOR Questions of the Week Part II (Verbatim)

Week 13 Question

If a wolfbrother is reborn in another Age, will he be a wolfbrother again? In other words, is being a wolfbrother a trait related to the soul? Can women be wolfbrothers?

Robert Jordan

Women certainly can be wolfbrothers, though the term would be wolfsisters. A wolfbrother or wolfsister reborn in another age would only be a wolfbrother or wolfsister again if that were possible in that Age. The ability to speak with wolves doesn't exist in every Age. In the "current" Age, it is a fairly new thing, appearing not too long ago. There are tales of it, sometimes just vague stories of people who supposedly "can talk to animals," without necessarily mentioning wolves, but remember that Elyas's ability was taken, at least by some Aes Sedai, as a sign that he was linked to the Shadow

Interview: Jul, 2002

COT: 'Glimmers' Ebook Q&A (Verbatim)

Question

Are there Wolfsisters? Could an Ogier become a Wolfbrother/sister?

Robert Jordan

There are no known Wolfsisters so far, but there is no reason there couldn’t be a Wolfsister. Ogier, however, cannot become linked to wolves in this way. Theirs is a different way than that of humankind

Amadine just reported that the answer to Terez's question of 'Was Taim's palace made from Shayol Goul stone' was 'yes'.

Wow.... That one is certainly a big one.

I wonder what's the go with that....

IS there anything special about the SG stone? Surely they wouldn't do it for no reason. I can hardly see the DO letting people mine his stone for no reason.

I can't see Taim turning up and saying "hey DO, just borrowing some SG stone! Laters!"

Rand's death then could be at the Black Tower, it certainly seems like a dangerous enough place at the moment.

And they are turning people 13x13... So possibly Egwene's accepted test vision thing has a grain of truth....

It seems such big revelation, you sure your not messing with me hahah.

Nope. Here is the message I sent Ama: Tell Brandon I said hi. Oh, and ask if Taim's palace is made of Shayol Ghul rock. Tell him Terez was very cranky with me that I didn't ask. LOL.James.

Ama's reply: The answer is yes!!!

I wonder if this is not how Taim is getting so many converts--a taint in the stone. I mean if thakan'dar wrought steel can pick up a taint....

Nope. Here is the message I sent Ama: Tell Brandon I said hi. Oh, and ask if Taim's palace is made of Shayol Ghul rock. Tell him Terez was very cranky with me that I didn't ask. LOL.James.

I wonder if this is not how Taim is getting so many converts--a taint in the stone. I mean if thakan'dar wrought steel can pick up a taint....

hmmmm, too many possibilities.

I like the Thakan'dar possibility, spreading the "love" would be interesting.

It certainly gives new meaning to Taim's "special classes".

Gah, too many possibilities I can't think straight.

Need to start a thread about this, did you want the honours or shall I?

Terez just told me that Maria confirmed that the old man in Graendal's palace was Farstrider. makes things odd though

how did he escape? How did he escape in a condition to help Mat? Why was he with graendal anyway?

Terez just told me that Maria confirmed that the old man in Graendal's palace was Farstrider.

Hmm, makes me wonder

Since we have learned of Farstrider's fate in ToM, the only reason I see for Graendal having him is to learn about Shara, which she has interest in, feigned or actual.

I really can't see anything else she has done with him. Perhaps she just wanted the information, and since he is a wrinkled old man, was not good enough to be one of her pets, and she didn't think much of his importance, so let him go removing his memories of her.

I wonder what the DO will have to say about this if he finds out about Mat and the ToG. (If he knows Graendal held Farstrider at one point.)

That's a good reason for why she obtained him in the first place. Terez and I were discussing it and we were thinking maybe she sent him to Ebou Dar for the same reason that Sammael sent Carridan, or Moghedien sent Falion and Ispan--specifically to obtain the Kin's *angreal storehouse. Certainly he was watching them, and he does seem to be struggling his way clear of compulsion when we first meet him as the old man on the barrel--his POV is very similar to Morgase's during when she wins her way clean.

good point.

Seems likely since her and Sammael were "close". And she did raid his stash after his death.

No doubt Farstrider would be able to win free, if anyone could. Wonder if Graendal has been keeping tabs on him, and therefore Mat, specially when Moridin gives the order to kill Mat and Perrin. It doesn't seem like Graendal would just leave him, such an important person, to break his compulsion and just walk away. Graendal's spies in Mat's camp possibly? Certainly there would be some DF around him.

Could Jain have been somewhat of a sleeper agent? We see with Bors in Ebou Dar when he catches glimpse of Mat that it's possible to implant compulsion commands only to be triggered under certain conditions. It would certainly be advantageous to implant commands in a renowned hero to, say, assassinate the Dragon Reborn if their paths ever cross.

On another note, it seems somewhat uncharacteristic of Graendal to use Jain. He is, well, terribly ugly compared to her usual targets. That, I think, seems to suggest that whatever Graendal was using Jain for, it had to be something Jain was uniquely suited for.

Could Jain have been somewhat of a sleeper agent? We see with Bors in Ebou Dar when he catches glimpse of Mat that it's possible to implant compulsion commands only to be triggered under certain conditions. It would certainly be advantageous to implant commands in a renowned hero to, say, assassinate the Dragon Reborn if their paths ever cross.

On another note, it seems somewhat uncharacteristic of Graendal to use Jain. He is, well, terribly ugly compared to her usual targets. That, I think, seems to suggest that whatever Graendal was using Jain for, it had to be something Jain was uniquely suited for.

A possibility, but something about the whole thing seems strange to me. As you say, it is uncharacteristic of her to use Jain. Plus, planting him just in case he meets the Dragon Reborn is rather unlike Graendal aswell. She is very careful and deliberate. I mean, the whole point with her in tGS was that she was so careful she hardly leaves any trace. Her actions with Jain just seem...sloppy.

Which leads me to suspect that something else was going on with the whole thing. Probably not important and probably never find out, still feels a bit odd though.

Graendal was an ascetic. She had complete control of her desires, and only chose to give into them because humanity as a whole failed to live up to her standards. To that extent I have always felt that her hedonism has been specific and intentional, for all that she may well enjoy it. She wants people to disregard her--but nevertheless she can control herself to an almost inhuman degree.

Mistaking her pleasures for her methodology would be foolish. You speak of her 'usual targets', but you mean her pets. Her targets are very different to her pets.

Graendal was an ascetic. She had complete control of her desires, and only chose to give into them because humanity as a whole failed to live up to her standards. To that extent I have always felt that her hedonism has been specific and intentional, for all that she may well enjoy it. She wants people to disregard her--but nevertheless she can control herself to an almost inhuman degree.

Mistaking her pleasures for her methodology would be foolish. You speak of her 'usual targets', but you mean her pets. Her targets are very different to her pets.

Agreed, she is one cool customer. We have seen a few interactions between her and the other Chosen, where she has intentionally reacted one way, even manipulating the colours of her streith gown to misrepresent her true feelings and reactions.

She was some kind of super psychologist that received a third name for it in the AoL after all.

I'm actually thinking this may explain why the black did not take the opportunity to turn all sisters. Apart from the 'something seems amiss' that would make it fairly possible to spot maybe Shayol Ghul is needed for any 13:13 turning?

Well, there are different extents to Graendal's pets. Some are little more than furniture, but many she used as tools, which is what I suggest Jain was to her. Those she used for more practical purposes were still seemingly chosen for their physical appearance, as is the case with the handsome chandler's apprentice who poisoned the king's messenger. I don't mean to suggest that Graendal is incapable of controlling her indulgences, but I do think it may be of some minor significance in that she chose not to at that particular time.

I was at the Sydney event too and asked him 2 questions afterwards when he was signing my books.

1 Will there be Wolfsisters?

A RAFO with a grin

2 is speaking to Wolves heriditary

A RJs note say it is a soulbound ability which basically means every time Perrin Noam and Elyas are born they will have the ability to speak to wolves.

My brother asked something too but i will have to check what and post it later

i now wish i went to the sydney one :(

That's a good reason for why she obtained him in the first place. Terez and I were discussing it and we were thinking maybe she sent him to Ebou Dar for the same reason that Sammael sent Carridan, or Moghedien sent Falion and Ispan--specifically to obtain the Kin's *angreal storehouse. Certainly he was watching them, and he does seem to be struggling his way clear of compulsion when we first meet him as the old man on the barrel--his POV is very similar to Morgase's during when she wins her way clean.

I agree (among other things, it explains how JF knew that he was spying on DFs in Ebou Dar). I posted essentially the same idea at TL a few weeks ago. Here's a link: http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=6770

I'd also really like to know the answer to another question about JF. And that is, where had he seen dark-skinned blue-eyed Seanchan, before the episode in CoT ch.1, when he comments that he's seen the like before, but can't remember where?

In that TL post, I speculate that he saw them in Falme, having gone there to investigate the rumor of strangers arriving from across the Aryth (strangers from across the Aryth would certainly have peaked his interest, given what we know from his Travels). And that shortly thereafter, Graendal got ahold of him (Falme was on her doorstep while she was at Natrin's Barrow), Compelled him, and sent him to Ebou Dar exactly as you suggested. And, the Compulsion made JF forget where he'd seen dark-skinned blue-eyed Seanchan before (or that he'd even been in Falme, it would seem).

If that's all true, it does beg some additional questions.

1. Did Graendal deliberately go after JF? (i.e. did she know who, and where, he was before she got ahold of him? If so, how, and why?) Or, did she only learn who he was (from Ishamael, say) after she grabbed him?

2. Did Ishamael play any role in how JF ended up in Graendal's hands? Or did she do it on her own?

3. While in Ebou Dar, did JF report to Graendal (directly or through an intermediary DF) on his progress re the 'greal stash and what Moghedien's and Sammael's lackeys were up to? Presumably he did, although the Compulsion may have kept him from realizing it.

4. When did the Compulsion wear off? Did being with Mat (a ta'veren) help dispel it?

5. Did Graendal continue to use JF (at least for a little while) after the 'greal stash plot played out? Or, did she just forget about him / let him go? (after he disappeared from Ebou Dar with Mat)?)

It seems unlikely we'll get the answers to any of these questions in AMoL, now that JF is dead. Hopefully we can find out from Brandon and Team Jordan after AMoL is out.

When was the old man seen again? Because if it was before Sammael say the Sh'botan and Sh'botay (or whatever they were called) he could of been there for information on Shara.

Rahvin saw the old man in TFoH prologue. Sammael saw the Sh'boan and Sh'botay at Natrin's Barrow in LoC ch.6.

So yeah, maybe Graendal tracked down JF deliberately to get info on Shara before grabbing those two Sharans. But if so, then where did JF see the dark-skinned blue-eyed Seanchan before, and why can't he remember? Presumably, he can't remember because of Graendal's Compulsion, which suggests (to me anyway) that he saw the DSBE Seanchan shortly before (or perhaps after) she grabbed him. Because, her Compulsion only seemed to affect his short-term memory, not his long-term memory. And if that's true, then Falme seems the only place he COULD have seen them before. *shrugs*

I suppose it's possible JF was in Falme as I suggested (and saw the DBSE Seanchan there), and that Graendal deliberately tracked him down THERE to get info on Shara (although how she could have done that is a complete mystery to me). That seems awfully convenient (re him being so close to her when she decided to track him down), but not totally implausible I guess.

True, although there's the matter of whatever TP weave he used to deliver orders to his DF. Still, we do know that he had Jain tangled up in something, and that he considered Jain a fool for thinking himself free when he supposedly escaped (and informed the Ogier of the risk to the Eye).

Archived