DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Fall of the Son of Darkness

brujah

Moraine defeats Anomander Rake in the 2012 Suvudu Cage Match.

Although STRICTLY IMPOSSIBLE, somehow Moraine comes out on top.

So for those of you that are unfamiliar with Anomander Rake, the title The Son of Darkness might make you think of an evil character. Nothing could be further from the truth. In the Malazan world, Dark is just another aspect of the Universe. The stereotype of Light meaning good, and Night even evil is not the case here. The various aspects of the universe are such as Dark, Light, Shadow, Life, Death, etc. Each have the full spectrum of good to evil aligned characters. So you could have someone from Kurald Liosan(The Light) actually being the bad guy whilst someone titled Son of Darkness is the good guy.

Anomander Rake is one of those rare characters that deserves to be known across all realms. One of the coolest characters of all time, if not the coolest.

....and as Anomander faces down Moraine, he knows that he could kill her with ease. All too terrible ease. And then he feels the crushing weight of such power baring down on his extremely worn soul. For after hundeds of thousands of years of life, he felt as if he were stretched too thin. But he'd held on and learned to love the frailty of mortal men with their all too short lives, as well as his brothers and sisters for whom time stretched on forever. He also understood that the rules dictating the extremely odd circumstances surrounding the upcoming battle with this Woman from another realm would only allow for one to live. One had to die.

And there lies the problem. He admitted he did not want to die, but he had sensed something in his opponent. No mere mortal. She possessed an inner light that in what he had already determined was going to be his last living moments was one of the most beautiful things he'd ever seen. She was a kindred spirit. She too would one day make the same choice he was about to make. This made it all feel right. Sacrifice. The most potent weapon against the agents of Chaos that writhe through the universe with the single purpose of destroying........everything. Forever.

And Anomander also knew that all worlds and realms were linked. It was common knowledge among the ancients. And that if one were to fall, then the rest were soon to follow.

Therefore with his great wisdom, unyielding patience, and infinite love and compassion for every living creature, he allowed himself to be killed instead of taking this woman's life.

For those of the womans vast world whom can see such distant things, as well as Anomander, all know that she is critical to the saving of her world. For she must be there as The Dragon Reborn, Lord of the Morning, Rand al'Thor makes his final stand against the Dark One himself, her realms manifistation of the same Chaos that gnaws at the frayed edges that link all realms. But nothing is assured. Failure is still possible. But a chance is a chance. Because if they fail, it will not only mean the death of a world, but the unraveling of time itself.

"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail — should we fall — we will know that we have lived."

― Anomander Rake, Son of Darkness

Moraine defeats Anomander Rake in the 2012 Suvudu Cage Match.

Although STRICTLY IMPOSSIBLE, somehow Moraine comes out on top.

While Elric of Melni...urrgghhh Anomander Rake is very powerful, I leave you with this from Pat Rothfuss.

What I did find oddly galling were some of the comments along the lines of, “Bast could never win against X. X has a power level of 9000!!!!”(so good if I had a dollar for every fan boi that screamed that during this contest!)...

But vastly more irritating to me is the odd opinion that strength/power is the key factor when two people come into conflict.

The truth is, I find that sentiment more than irritating, I find it troubling. It means a lot of you haven’t been paying attention to the books I know you must have read.

If power is the only important thing, then Frodo loses against Sauron. Hell, if power’s the only important thing then Gandalf loses against Sauron. If magic is the deciding factor of a fight, then four plucky kids from England get their asses turned to stone by the White Which.

So yeah, Rake can turn into a dragon, but the point of fairy tales is that they teach us that dragons can be beaten.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived