DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Say something nice about a character you hate

Elan Tedronai

Hmmm...the only characters I really hate are some of the villains (Elaida, Valda, Byar, Galina, etc). And I know those characters were written for us to hate them--they're the people you have to deal with even though you hate their guts and they make life miserable for you (understatement). The others annoy me sometimes, occasionally a lot as in Faile at the start of TSR, but it never rises to the level of hate.

That's fair enough, I suppose, Testy. Except, you know, the characters are the story. The Wheel of Time is inherently a character-driven plot. Characters produce events, events don't unfold and then we watch the characters deal with them.

it took me a long time to notice this response.... shouldn't have. but anyway as you said the characters are the story, i love the story, how can i hate the characters? they do their job to make me love the story.

edit: to clarify

no i dont agree with everything they do, but if i did there likely wouldn't be a story because i am not a writer, and a writer has to write things that either they wont agree with or someone else wont agree with or else there is no conflict. without conflict there isnt much of a story unless your story is the description of something. to put it simply i love fain, and am interested in what he will do. i love taim, and wonder how he will be displaced if he is displaced. i love demandred and the fact that he is an enigma. i love morridin and his "i just want this over" position. and of course i love all of the hero/protagonist positions as well. i love the story, and it is a character driven story, and i think that it is a great character driven story with hundreds of positions with lots of differences between them all.

Well, lets see,

Faile: She is protective of Perrin and killed Masema.

She's actually the only person I really hate. I don't get why everyone hates Egwene so much. The only part where she was annoying was when she became Amyrlin of the whole WT and her whole thing with Gawyn.

Hmmm, I also don't really hate any of the characters. The worst comes to mind is Egwene, but that is more of a mild irritation at some of the things that she does. And this happens with every character, I have been annoyed at them at one time or another. So instead, I will do the same thing, but with the most unpopular characters.

Egwene: My view: Meh, she is annoying at the moment, but all characters have made mistakes and paid for them, Egwene will come around in the end.

Positive Point: She is an excellent Amyrlin, a hell of a lot better than any other Aes Sedai, and no matter what it may seem like, she always has the best intentions, and she isn't a Darkfriend.

Reason for hate: Basically, the fact that her mistakes and failings are seen as positive by the characters, where Rand is basically evil in everyone's eyes. (How many times in the last 3 or so books have we seen an Aes Sedai mention how utterly awesome Egwene is!)

Elayne: My view: I don't mind her, done stupid things, but forgivable

Positive Point: Continuing on with the bracketed statement, she has done well to keep Andor afloat while she is pregnant. Sure, it may be easy enough to live a normal life while pregnant, but running a country when her hormones and such are going crazy is impressive.

Reason for hate: As stated, I believe it is the stupid and selfish things she has done, mainly while all emotional and pregnant.

Faile: My view: I think she is pretty rockin' since she got kidnapped.

Positive Point: She is devoted to Perrin and wants the best for him and the people of Two Rivers.

Reason for hate: Alot of it is her actions in the earlier books, specially the fiasco with the Ways returning to Two Rivers, but I think people need to keep in mind she was only around 15 at that point and very confused with all the crap that had been happening (Forsaken and all, it is overwhelming) Also, she was right, Perrin was being a wool-headed fool at the time.

Cadsuane: My view: I think she is pretty good, better than 90% of Aes Sedai

Positive point: She is one of the few Aes Sedai who actually voiced their displeasure/regret at what the AS did to him, All of the others have said: "They went too far, but......" and try and avoid the responsibility. Cadsuane says (although he is unconcious at the time) that she regrets what happened and calls him a "poor child" or something like that. (in CoS when he was slashed with Fain's Dagger and they are rushing him back to Cairhien)

Reason for hate: She is strict and no-nonsense. She doesn't care about offending people. People do not like this, they would rather people suck up to them and praise them. Naturally, it is easy to hate someone who point's out people's faults.

Nynaeve: My view: She is actually one of my favorite characters but I understand the hating.

Positive Point: She cares about everyone, one might say too much, but she is always willing to defend her friends even if it puts her in danger.

Reason for hate: All of her hypocrisy and bulling of everyone in the first half of the series. Her treatment of the men especially.

Gawyn: My view: He got alright in the last books, but still a whining child.

Positive Point: Mainly his actions in the past two books, specially ToM, with the whole Seanchan/Mesaana episodes, pretty badass with the bloodknives. (Also, many commiserate with him about Egwene being crazy towards him)

Reason for Hate: Pretty obvious, wanting to kill Rand despite the fact that he is wrong. Helping Elaida out and basically just messing up everything he gets into.

Positive Point: She is devoted to Perrin and wants the best for him and the people of Two Rivers.

Reason for hate: Alot of it is her actions in the earlier books, specially the fiasco with the Ways returning to Two Rivers, but I think people need to keep in mind she was only around 15 at that point and very confused with all the crap that had been happening (Forsaken and all, it is overwhelming) Also, she was right, Perrin was being a wool-headed fool at the time.

Faile wasn't 15, she just looked young, also as crazy as some of the other female characters can get, Faile is still the worst

Lan - He is the definition of a badass, Bruce Willis ain't got shit on him haha

Moraine - So much intelligence from her part in the early parts of the series. She ran the show from behind the scenes.

Loial - Basicalyl Loial is just an awesome person(Ogier), he's nice to everyone always and he's extremely humble.

Thom - I loved the mystery that surrounded Thom's past, always hints at stuff that he did before, and he has such a remarkable skillset.

Mat - His wit is entertaining, and he has some key lines.

WHAT!? She was only 15!? I must've read over that every time I've read the series. This just changed so many things for me... just wow....

I don't really dislike any of the main characters, just some of them do some annpoying things at time. So I'll name some minor characters.

Masema was a good commander and knew how to organize the Dragon Sworn into a formidible force.

Aram was really passionate and ambitious, even when lead astray by Masema.

Elaida is a good dammane. A good dammane!

Fain has done a lot to help Rand and the others in the fight for the Light.

Selucia is a really good friend to Tuon and is very honorable.

WHAT!? She was only 15!? I must've read over that every time I've read the series. This just changed so many things for me... just wow....

More like 16/17.

Indeed, she was 17 when she met Perrin.

INTERVIEW: Jun 16th, 1995

ROBERT JORDAN

More material for the "how old is everyone" section: Faile was 17 when she met Perrin.

I got mixed up, She was 16 at the start of the first book. (I did say AROUND 15 :tongue:)

Still, that is pretty young by any standard.

15/16/17 is still fairly young

Although I guess when you compare it to medieval times from real life (imo a fair connection, lots of fantasy does tie into history a bit), all the women were practically considered adults once they hit puberty (at least as far as marriage and such goes, life spans were also shorter).

I always thought Faile was like early 20s-ish.

Egwene: Well she's apparantly good looking for what it's worth but that's about all I can say for her that isn't negative.

Gawyn: He almost stayed in Caemlyn in ToM which would have meant Egwene would have died. He didn't, but he almost did which is as close to anything good he's done in the books so far.

Min: She's not full of herself like Elayne and her viewings can be usefull but that's about it. Wouldn't miss her if she fell in the stairs.

Elayne: She was ok up until and including the Stone of Tear but then it just went downhill. And she's a redhead. Allways a plus in my book :p

Post-TGS Rand: He's gotten more powerfull it seems but his personality is too changed for me to like him as much as pre-TGS Rand.

Archived