DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Say something nice about a character you hate

Elan Tedronai

As you well now there are threads and threads on characters alot of forummers despise. So let's try and shift the goalposts a little for a change.

I despise quite a few characters but i will focus on the most important.

Perrin: He seems to be a loyal husband. How can anyone resist berelain?

Lan: He certainly has a lot of passion even for things as pathetic as craving for death

Elayne: She's a hot beautiful bimbo. cant think of anything else.

Rand: This is quite hard you know. I am really trying here. Actually there was a scene in book 6 when he was kidnapped by the elaida sisters. he was getting beaten up black and blue and there was a point as he was getting pummelled by air he looked at one sister in particular and smiled. Now that is impressive. I dont know he did that but all i can say is Respect.

Okay, this sounds good....

Elayne: she at least cares about all the people she's supposed to rule over, and wants what's best for them.

Perrin: gotta love the whole wolf brother thing.

Elaida: ummmmmm.... she's funny?

Egwene: Alright, damnit. She did a good job on the whole Amyrlin thing.

Cadsuane: Sometimes it's actually awesome when she dresses people down.

Faile: She's really rather brilliant. She's cold and calculating. She knows how to wrangle with the best, politically.

Egwene (pre-KoD): She's great at adapting to any circumstance. She seldom complains and understands and is willing to always do what is right.

Galad: He's passionate, kind, and thoughtful. He's idealistic to a fault, but with the will to make things ideal.

Gawyn: When he was put into a difficult situation, he did what he thought was right despite the emotional and physical pain it brought him.

Elayne: Like Faile, she is a force to be reckoned with, politically.

Aviendha (since CoT): She is powerful, intelligent, beautiful, and wholly dedicated to her people.

Elaida: Strong-willed and capable, she can bend most anyone to her will.

Cadsuane: She is everything about Nynaeve and Faile that is great rolled into one character. By sheer reputation, she can bend everyone to her will, and she will settle for nothing less than the best.

i don't hate any of the characters, nor do i love any. what i love is the story. what i hate is that rj wont be around to continue it after mol let alone put his own touch on these last 3 books in the main story. and i blame that squarely on rj, because if i didn't it would be my fault (it is a joke, dont hate me, or maybe you should, it is all my fault).

That's fair enough, I suppose, Testy. Except, you know, the characters are the story. The Wheel of Time is inherently a character-driven plot. Characters produce events, events don't unfold and then we watch the characters deal with them.

Elaida - She tried to do what she thought was truly the right thing to do.

That's fair enough, I suppose, Testy. Except, you know, the characters are the story. The Wheel of Time is inherently a character-driven plot. Characters produce events, events don't unfold and then we watch the characters deal with them.

That doesn't mean that you can have emotional attachments to the characters. The story can be a wonderful and highly enjoyable story without the attachment to any characters, negative or positive.

Mistborn series comes to mind in this respect. None of the characters drew a strong emotional response from me but I loved the concepts and the story.

Elaida - She tried to do what she thought was truly the right thing to do.

That doesn't mean that you can have emotional attachments to the characters. The story can be a wonderful and highly enjoyable story without the attachment to any characters, negative or positive.

Mistborn series comes to mind in this respect. None of the characters drew a strong emotional response from me but I loved the concepts and the story.

Which is why I said "fair enough." I find the idea baffling, but it's clearly the case.

Hate is a strong word. I do not enjoy reading Gawyn Trakand at all as he seems the all-muscle - no-brain type of guy. But to his credit: He had the right hunch on the killing of AS and was looking for assassins, not BA, since he noticed evidence others overlooked. He saved Egwene's life; allowing the neutralization of Mesaana and killing a dozen BA; thus saving the WT from further disaster.

Egwene is ambitious and made herself into something unlike the boys who are special threads guided by destiny/pattern.

You don't think that Egwene, Nynaeve, and the rest of the Supergirls are also special threads? Ta'veren, though they are not, they certainly have a role to play that the Pattern has given them just as Mat, Rand, and Perrin do. Rand even states this in Towers of Midnight.

"Egwene," Rand said, voice echoing in the chamber. He nodded to her, as if in respect. "You have done your part, I see. The Amyrlin's stole fits you well."

Egwene is ambitious and made herself into something unlike the boys who are special threads guided by destiny/pattern.

You don't think that Egwene, Nynaeve, and the rest of the Supergirls are also special threads? Ta'veren, though they are not, they certainly have a role to play that the Pattern has given them just as Mat, Rand, and Perrin do. Rand even states this in Towers of Midnight.

"Egwene," Rand said, voice echoing in the chamber. He nodded to her, as if in respect. "You have done your part, I see. The Amyrlin's stole fits you well."

I think only tavern are special threads in the pattern..they shape the pattern around them.The supergirls are ordinary threads, ofcourse all threads even ordinary do their parts.

I think only tavern are special threads in the pattern..they shape the pattern around them.The supergirls are ordinary threads, ofcourse all threads even ordinary do their parts.

Don't think we can call them "ordinary" as evidenced by the viewings of Egwene etc being tied into it all. It's obvious their threads are needed more than your average person, they just aren't taveren.

Hmmm, I also don't really hate any of the characters. The worst comes to mind is Egwene, but that is more of a mild irritation at some of the things that she does. And this happens with every character, I have been annoyed at them at one time or another. So instead, I will do the same thing, but with the most unpopular characters.

Egwene: My view: Meh, she is annoying at the moment, but all characters have made mistakes and paid for them, Egwene will come around in the end.

Positive Point: She is an excellent Amyrlin, a hell of a lot better than any other Aes Sedai, and no matter what it may seem like, she always has the best intentions, and she isn't a Darkfriend.

Reason for hate: Basically, the fact that her mistakes and failings are seen as positive by the characters, where Rand is basically evil in everyone's eyes. (How many times in the last 3 or so books have we seen an Aes Sedai mention how utterly awesome Egwene is!)

Elayne: My view: I don't mind her, done stupid things, but forgivable

Positive Point: Continuing on with the bracketed statement, she has done well to keep Andor afloat while she is pregnant. Sure, it may be easy enough to live a normal life while pregnant, but running a country when her hormones and such are going crazy is impressive.

Reason for hate: As stated, I believe it is the stupid and selfish things she has done, mainly while all emotional and pregnant.

Faile: My view: I think she is pretty rockin' since she got kidnapped.

Positive Point: She is devoted to Perrin and wants the best for him and the people of Two Rivers.

Reason for hate: Alot of it is her actions in the earlier books, specially the fiasco with the Ways returning to Two Rivers, but I think people need to keep in mind she was only around 15 at that point and very confused with all the crap that had been happening (Forsaken and all, it is overwhelming) Also, she was right, Perrin was being a wool-headed fool at the time.

Cadsuane: My view: I think she is pretty good, better than 90% of Aes Sedai

Positive point: She is one of the few Aes Sedai who actually voiced their displeasure/regret at what the AS did to him, All of the others have said: "They went too far, but......" and try and avoid the responsibility. Cadsuane says (although he is unconcious at the time) that she regrets what happened and calls him a "poor child" or something like that. (in CoS when he was slashed with Fain's Dagger and they are rushing him back to Cairhien)

Reason for hate: She is strict and no-nonsense. She doesn't care about offending people. People do not like this, they would rather people suck up to them and praise them. Naturally, it is easy to hate someone who point's out people's faults.

Nynaeve: My view: She is actually one of my favorite characters but I understand the hating.

Positive Point: She cares about everyone, one might say too much, but she is always willing to defend her friends even if it puts her in danger.

Reason for hate: All of her hypocrisy and bulling of everyone in the first half of the series. Her treatment of the men especially.

Gawyn: My view: He got alright in the last books, but still a whining child.

Positive Point: Mainly his actions in the past two books, specially ToM, with the whole Seanchan/Mesaana episodes, pretty badass with the bloodknives. (Also, many commiserate with him about Egwene being crazy towards him)

Reason for Hate: Pretty obvious, wanting to kill Rand despite the fact that he is wrong. Helping Elaida out and basically just messing up everything he gets into.

As you well now there are threads and threads on characters alot of forummers despise. So let's try and shift the goalposts a little for a change.

I despise quite a few characters but i will focus on the most important.

Perrin: He seems to be a loyal husband. How can anyone resist berelain?

Lan: He certainly has a lot of passion even for things as pathetic as craving for death

Elayne: She's a hot beautiful bimbo. cant think of anything else.

Rand: This is quite hard you know. I am really trying here. Actually there was a scene in book 6 when he was kidnapped by the elaida sisters. he was getting beaten up black and blue and there was a point as he was getting pummelled by air he looked at one sister in particular and smiled. Now that is impressive. I dont know he did that but all i can say is Respect.

A good idea for a thread, but none of these are actually saying 'something nice'. IMO at best what you are doing is damning with faint praise ('seems to be a loyal husband', 'hot beautiful bimbo' ~=nice).

Also, Aram was a good dancer and had the balls to pick up a weapon and fight. Egwene is a woman. Gawyn fights for what he beliefs in and was right about the assassins. Alviarin is ambitious and Mesaana is a good organizer and adminstrator. Moridin is a pretty switched-on fellow, Demandred is a good general and knows how to keep a low profile (and hence stay alive). The Dark One is persistent and consistent. Fain is intriguing and knows how to amuse himself. Valan Luca has healthy self-esteem.

A good idea for a thread,

I will have to disagree. See below.

but none of these are actually saying 'something nice'. IMO at best what you are doing is damning with faint praise ('seems to be a loyal husband', 'hot beautiful bimbo' ~=nice).

Which I'm quite sure was his intention, since the snark begins in his original post.

I think there are more than enough threads where people voice their dislike for characters already. As for the humorous angle, that could work, but the thread doesn't really present itself that way.

Archived