Say something nice about a character you hate

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Elan Tedronai

Elan Tedronai
  • Members
  • 898 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:32 PM

As you well now there are threads and threads on characters alot of forummers despise. So let's try and shift the goalposts a little for a change.

I despise quite a few characters but i will focus on the most important.

Perrin: He seems to be a loyal husband. How can anyone resist berelain?

Lan: He certainly has a lot of passion even for things as pathetic as craving for death

Elayne: She's a hot beautiful bimbo. cant think of anything else.

Rand: This is quite hard you know. I am really trying here. Actually there was a scene in book 6 when he was kidnapped by the elaida sisters. he was getting beaten up black and blue and there was a point as he was getting pummelled by air he looked at one sister in particular and smiled. Now that is impressive. I dont know he did that but all i can say is Respect.

Edited by Elan Tedronai, 04 April 2012 - 04:34 PM.

#2 Sylvan Fox

Sylvan Fox
  • Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:56 PM

Okay, this sounds good....

Elayne: she at least cares about all the people she's supposed to rule over, and wants what's best for them.

Perrin: gotta love the whole wolf brother thing.

Elaida: ummmmmm.... she's funny?

Egwene: Alright, damnit. She did a good job on the whole Amyrlin thing.

Cadsuane: Sometimes it's actually awesome when she dresses people down.

#3 CauthonsLuck

CauthonsLuck
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:29 PM

First off how can you hate Rand and Lan?

Perrin-He can talk to wolfs

Elayne-She has Rands baby

Elaida-She's not a darkfriend

Aviendha-She...can know what ter'angreal do?

Cadsuane-She can knit...I guess.

Siuan-She loves Gareth

#4 Roxinos

Roxinos

Former Nae'blis, Still a Dumbass

• Members
  • 3,913 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:57 PM

Faile: She's really rather brilliant. She's cold and calculating. She knows how to wrangle with the best, politically.

Egwene (pre-KoD): She's great at adapting to any circumstance. She seldom complains and understands and is willing to always do what is right.

Galad: He's passionate, kind, and thoughtful. He's idealistic to a fault, but with the will to make things ideal.

Gawyn: When he was put into a difficult situation, he did what he thought was right despite the emotional and physical pain it brought him.

Elayne: Like Faile, she is a force to be reckoned with, politically.

Aviendha (since CoT): She is powerful, intelligent, beautiful, and wholly dedicated to her people.

Elaida: Strong-willed and capable, she can bend most anyone to her will.

Cadsuane: She is everything about Nynaeve and Faile that is great rolled into one character. By sheer reputation, she can bend everyone to her will, and she will settle for nothing less than the best.
Posted Image

Resist your sig, Roxinos. We might have to lock you up then.

#5 Testy al'Carr

Testy al'Carr
  • Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:42 PM

i don't hate any of the characters, nor do i love any. what i love is the story. what i hate is that rj wont be around to continue it after mol let alone put his own touch on these last 3 books in the main story. and i blame that squarely on rj, because if i didn't it would be my fault (it is a joke, dont hate me, or maybe you should, it is all my fault).
Posted Image

#6 Roxinos

Roxinos

• Members
  • 3,913 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:32 AM

That's fair enough, I suppose, Testy. Except, you know, the characters are the story. The Wheel of Time is inherently a character-driven plot. Characters produce events, events don't unfold and then we watch the characters deal with them.
Posted Image

#7 Smittyphi

Smittyphi
  • Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:35 AM

Elaida - She tried to do what she thought was truly the right thing to do.

That's fair enough, I suppose, Testy. Except, you know, the characters are the story. The Wheel of Time is inherently a character-driven plot. Characters produce events, events don't unfold and then we watch the characters deal with them.

That doesn't mean that you can have emotional attachments to the characters. The story can be a wonderful and highly enjoyable story without the attachment to any characters, negative or positive.

Mistborn series comes to mind in this respect. None of the characters drew a strong emotional response from me but I loved the concepts and the story.

#8 muddasssir

muddasssir
  • Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:35 AM

I guess her defense of WT was nothing short of brilliant. She could hardly channel enough to light a candle and she fights of entire Seanchan strike force to stand still. It has to be one of the better battle scenes in the books.

#9 Roxinos

Roxinos

• Members
  • 3,913 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:23 AM

Elaida - She tried to do what she thought was truly the right thing to do.

That doesn't mean that you can have emotional attachments to the characters. The story can be a wonderful and highly enjoyable story without the attachment to any characters, negative or positive.

Mistborn series comes to mind in this respect. None of the characters drew a strong emotional response from me but I loved the concepts and the story.

Which is why I said "fair enough." I find the idea baffling, but it's clearly the case.

Edited by Roxinos, 05 April 2012 - 07:23 AM.

Posted Image

#10 randsc

randsc
  • Members
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:25 AM

Egwene is described as good looking. And I like brown eyes.

"Mia ayende Aes Sedai! Inde muagdhe Aes Sedai misian ye! Mia ayende!"

"Is that all there is for me? ... To betray him, fail him, again and again?" - Egwene al'Vere

#11 Theodril

Theodril

Novice

• Members
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:42 AM

Hate is a strong word. I do not enjoy reading Gawyn Trakand at all as he seems the all-muscle - no-brain type of guy. But to his credit: He had the right hunch on the killing of AS and was looking for assassins, not BA, since he noticed evidence others overlooked. He saved Egwene's life; allowing the neutralization of Mesaana and killing a dozen BA; thus saving the WT from further disaster.
"You trouble me so, Rand al'Thor," she said without a bit of heat. "Light, sometimes I think the Creator made you just to trouble me."

======================================

A lion on the high plains was something very different. Toy was loose on the high plains, now. She felt a chill. What sort of man had she entangled herself with? After all this time, she realized, she had hardly a clue.

#12 Randommer

Randommer
  • Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:35 AM

Egwene is...very...uhm...eloquently spoken.

Strangely, she's the only character I actually dislike. Elaida and co, obviously, but they were meant to be bad guys.

Edited by Randommer, 05 April 2012 - 11:37 AM.

#13 XXX47

XXX47
  • Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:15 PM

Egwene is ambitious and made herself into something unlike the boys who are special threads guided by destiny/pattern.

Edited by XXX47, 05 April 2012 - 12:15 PM.

#14 Roxinos

Roxinos

• Members
  • 3,913 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:00 PM

Egwene is ambitious and made herself into something unlike the boys who are special threads guided by destiny/pattern.

You don't think that Egwene, Nynaeve, and the rest of the Supergirls are also special threads? Ta'veren, though they are not, they certainly have a role to play that the Pattern has given them just as Mat, Rand, and Perrin do. Rand even states this in Towers of Midnight.

"Egwene," Rand said, voice echoing in the chamber. He nodded to her, as if in respect. "You have done your part, I see. The Amyrlin's stole fits you well."

Edited by Roxinos, 05 April 2012 - 05:00 PM.

Posted Image

#15 Random Man

Random Man
  • Members
  • 574 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:27 PM

Joline seems to keep her Warders happy.
"The Fortune 500 all gets high
With the fox that makes the ravens fly.
Eye of Light, soul of lucks,
He's the one the Daughter of the Nine Moons -"

"Enough, Noal."

#16 XXX47

XXX47
  • Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

You don't think that Egwene, Nynaeve, and the rest of the Supergirls are also special threads? Ta'veren, though they are not, they certainly have a role to play that the Pattern has given them just as Mat, Rand, and Perrin do. Rand even states this in Towers of Midnight.

"Egwene," Rand said, voice echoing in the chamber. He nodded to her, as if in respect. "You have done your part, I see. The Amyrlin's stole fits you well."

I think only tavern are special threads in the pattern..they shape the pattern around them.The supergirls are ordinary threads, ofcourse all threads even ordinary do their parts.

#17 Suttree

Suttree
  • Members
  • 10,522 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:40 PM

I think only tavern are special threads in the pattern..they shape the pattern around them.The supergirls are ordinary threads, ofcourse all threads even ordinary do their parts.

Don't think we can call them "ordinary" as evidenced by the viewings of Egwene etc being tied into it all. It's obvious their threads are needed more than your average person, they just aren't taveren.
Waves are the ultimate illusion. They come out of nowhere, instantaneously materialize, and just as quickly they break and vanish. Chasing after such fleeting mirages is a complete wast of time. That is what I choose to do with my life." - Miki Dora

#18 cwbys21

cwbys21
  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:15 PM

The closest I get to actual hate is what Egwene and Elayne have become, and ummmm, they have big boobs? :wink:

#19 BelRobin

BelRobin
  • Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:24 PM

egwene is easy on the eyes?

#20 Suttree

Suttree
  • Members
  • 10,522 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:39 PM

Perrin is an excellent blacksmith :smile:
Waves are the ultimate illusion. They come out of nowhere, instantaneously materialize, and just as quickly they break and vanish. Chasing after such fleeting mirages is a complete wast of time. That is what I choose to do with my life." - Miki Dora