DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Doctor Who Series 7

Emperor

Per the official DOCTOR WHO Twitter stream, a new companion has been selected to join Matt Smith during Season/Series 7 of DOCTOR WHO - which will transmit beginning later this year. What follows might be viewed as SLIGHTLY spoilerish in nature, but keep in mind that these are officially sanctioned info bits...so my guess is these points aren't too revealing in the grand scheme of things.

The new companion joining the Doctor on his sprawling adventures across time and space is the rather stunning Jenna-Louise Coleman. Coleman appeared recently in CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER, but may be better known for her role as Jasmine in EMMERDALE.

Screen%20Shot%202012-03-21%20at%207.03.16%20AM.png?1332331436

Per Steven Moffat: "We saw a lot of brilliant actresses. But Jenna was the only person going faster than Matt - he had to keep up!"

The official Twitter stream also indicates that 6 episodes of Season/Series 7 will transmit this year, including a Christmas Special which will introduce Coleman's character. 8 further episodes will follow net year.

Per Moffat: "Amy & Rory will leave in a final encounter with the Weeping Angels in ep 5. Not everyone gets out alive and I mean it this time"

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm looking forward to it, though I did find Series 6 incredibly confusing at points. I hope this will wrap a few more questions that I have. I'm kind of disappointed that the went for yet another female companion. I'm sure she'll be awesome, but I would have liked a bit of variety. My only prayer is PLEASE no romance. Otherwise I might cry. Rose and Martha were plenty enough of that.

Also, I'm missing the traditional airing schedule when the series started around Easter time and to the beginning of summer. It seems to me like the Christmas Special is going to be part of the series which I'm honestly disappointed by... I liked it being a special. Anyway, planning a rewatch of series 6 and looking forward to this very much!

• 2 weeks later...

31-year-old Lara Pulver, best known for her recent BBC roles as Irene Adler on "Sherlock" and Erin Watts on "Spooks" (aka. MI-5), is said to be among the front runners to potentially replace Matt Smith as the titular Time Lord on "Doctor Who".

The tabloid suggests a dramatic twist will see the current 11th incarnation of The Doctor regenerate into a woman when next season reaches its dramatic climax which is also around the time of the show's 50th anniversary. [source: The Express]

MV5BMTM0Mjk4NzUyNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTk1MTk0Nw@@._V1._SY314_CR6,0,214,314_.jpg

I am excited to see what Jenna is going to bring to Doctor Who, and while I really liked Amy, I think it's good to bring someone new onboard. Although, I can't wait until the 50th anniversary episode - here's hoping it's a multi-Doctor storyline (or at least with David Tennant and Matt Smith! :) )

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Go back to the ninth at least, it has (I have heard) been a different pace than the original series, that aired ages ago. Besides, they tried to make it easy for new viewers to adapt to, with the ninth doctor as they wanted new viewers. I'm assuming most of this, I only converted at the start of this year!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

BBC has released synopsis of the first three episodes of DOCTOR WHO Season/Series 7. Keep in mind, these are officially issued descriptions and, thus, aren't likely to contain anything terribly spoilery.

Episode 1: Asylum Of The Daleks - Kidnapped by his oldest foe, the Doctor is forced on an impossible mission - to a place even the Daleks are too terrified to enter... the Asylum. A planetary prison confining the most terrifying and insane of their kind, the Doctor and the Ponds must find an escape route. But with Amy and Rory’s relationship in meltdown, and an army of mad Daleks closing in, it is up to the Doctor to save their lives, as well as the Pond’s marriage.

Episode 2: Dinosaurs On A Spaceship - An unmanned spaceship hurtles towards certain destruction - unless the Doctor can save it, and its impossible cargo... of dinosaurs! By his side a ragtag gang of adventurers; a big game hunter, an Egyptian Queen and a surprised member of the Pond family. But little does the Doctor know there is someone else onboard who will stop at nothing to keep hold of his precious, prehistoric cargo.

Episode 3: A Town Called Mercy - The Doctor gets a Stetson (and a gun!), and finds himself the reluctant Sheriff of a Western town under siege by a relentless cyborg, who goes by the name of the Gunslinger. But who is he and what does he want? The answer seems to lie with the mysterious, Kahler-Jex, an alien doctor (yes another one!) whose initial appearance is hiding a dark secret.

Al in all, we know know the titles and authors of the first five Season/Series 7 episodes. Asylum of the Daleks is scripted by current WHO mastermind Steven Moffat, Dinosaurs on a Spaceship is written by Chris Chibnall (S5's The Hungry Earth and Cold Blood) , A Town Called Mercy is by Toby Whithouse (S5's The Vampires of Venice and S6's The God Complex), The Power of Three by Chris Chibnall, and The Angels Take Manhattan - which exits current companions Amy and Rory - is by Steven Moffat.

docpromoart1.png?1345056335

docwest1.png?1345056439

So I've been hearing a lot more about this show lately. I'm curious, if I were to start watching it, how far back should I go? Would it be alright to start with the 11th (?) Doctor or should I go back further?

Starrik got the right of it. The 9th Doctor was the start of the Reboot, and they basicallt started again. The continuity From the classic series (Doctors 1-8) to the new series is fairly loose. Meaning that the Major events from the classic series happened, but they bear little relevance to the new series. The 9th Doctor on is meant to be a new start, and the story is set up appropriatly for that. You don't need to see the Classic series to understand it, or appreciate it. The glorius thing about companions is that the Doctor frequently needs to explain things to them (and therefore the viewer) if it needs explaining.

So yeah, if you're enjoying Smith/Mottat, I'd definitely start with the 9th Doctor as he was the reboot that lead to where you are.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, starting with Smith (5th series) means good stuff right off the bat. Starting with Eccleston means slogging through the first few til you get to the really good stuff like Dalek and the first Moffat story (it's watchable off the bat and there's lots of subtle things, but on the surface, not so good).

Prequels to season 7:

Lots of fun, about 8 minutes total.

Ep 1: enjoyed, but saw some ways to go about the story without that much canon rewrite. Great camera work in this ep. Surprise guest was really good. Just not up there with first ep of season 5 and 6.

Tangent-ing slightly from the topic, when Matt Smith came in I thought he was going to be absolutely terrible as the Doctor. That was my conclusion after researching his past work, however, from his very first episode he had me convinced he was the Doctor so I was impressed by that.

And given the series' arcs of the question hidden in plain sight it suggests to me that a dramatic conclusion to the end of Doctor Who is planned where they plan to make no more episodes and that is the end of the show for good.

Until regenerated and renewed in 10-20 years time after that.

Well, Smith's first episode was brilliant but it slows down for a while afterwards. Tennant is still so far regarded as the best DOctor since the revival and there are many many great episodes from his time. Eccelston isn't really slogging if you watch him first though. Just if you go back and then watch him.

Regarded by whom?

There's also a lot more to the show than who's playing the doctor at that time. Season 2 might have some very good Tenant Doctor moments, but there's also a lot of what I consider the show's worst eps. Also remember that even though they established a lot of the tone and so forth of the show early, you still have to get through the farting aliens 2 parter (even though there's a lot of darker subtle stuff, fat, farting aliens) :)

Archived