DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Most "Tortured Soul" in fantasy/sci-fi??

The Fisher King

Captain Kirk and Indiana Jones are great characters and dashing heroes, but they don't fight inner demons or face personal tragedy after personal tragedy.

For me, the most tortured souls, those who what they endure just twists my guts, are:

The Doctor

Andry (from Rawn's Sunrrunner novels)

Anakin Skywalker

The Gunslinger (Roland Deschain of King's Dark Tower)

Rand al'Thor (this poor guy...there are just no words...).

That's MY five most agonized SOBs. YOURS??

Fish

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fitz Chivalry Farseer - Farseer

Hurin - Silmarillion, Children of Hurin

Turin - Silmarillion, Children of Hurin

Roland Deschain - The Dark Tower

Rand - Wheel of Time

Duiker - Malazan

Fiddler - Malazan

i only have 4 i can think of

Snape - HP

Voldy - HP

Draco - HP

Fain - WoT

Snape doesnt' relaly tug at the heart stings, but i do feel sorry for the predicament he landed himself in, especially towards the end when he learns harry's a lamb raised for slaughter.

Voldemort i pity greatly, i think had he been conceived and raised differently then he woudl have turned out semi-decent (like Lucius type decent)

Draco is the one out of HP that i pity the most. between the pressure on him from his father, to him being set up to be killed by Voldy as punishment for Lucuis's foul up at the Ministry; though i dislike his character i do pity him greatly.

Fain i do pity. i absolutley love his character, and while i realize he sold his soul willingly, i pity him cause there is no turnign back for him and for what he went through on his 2nd visit to SG where he was turned into a blood hound.

LOL!!!! I was JUST coming to say Boromir!!!

I liked the character a lot in the books, and love Sean Bean, but Boromir was NOT a nice guy!!!

Fish

I don't think that's fair to Boromir. The only real bad thing he ever did was let the ring seduce him, which you can't really blame him for.

Roland Deschain is one for sure... endlessly looping through time and watching everybody you get close to drop dead all the time...

Rand al'Thor, and I'm also gonna say Mat because my eyes are sensitive and give me problems all the time, and I swear I could FEEL the damn Eelfinn ripping out the eye. Ouch!

I felt pretty bad for Frodo in Lord of the Rings, even if he got on my nerves. Actually, I think I just hated the fact that all the heroes went on and got on with their lives. It really sucked for Boromir, too. He was a bad guy for like 2 seconds and had to die for it almost immediately.

:-( I haven't read far enough to know what happens to Theon Greyjoy, so I'm glad nobody spelled it out. He's a jerk, though.

just a friendly reminder to use spoiler tags if you go in depth about why someone is on the lsit and the book your citing is less than 1 year old (ie: Dance with Dragons, ToM, ect)

you can find the code in the "special BBC" button (top row, 3rd from the left) or just cut and paste the following code

[spoiler] insert text here [/spoiler]

just a friendly reminder to use spoiler tags if you go in depth about why someone is on the lsit and the book your citing is less than 1 year old (ie: Dance with Dragons, ToM, ect)

you can find the code in the "special BBC" button (top row, 3rd from the left) or just cut and paste the following code

[spoiler] insert text here [/spoiler]

Thanks.. Sorry about that.

I didn't see Andry as getting a raw deal. I may have to reread those series. I really did enjoy them. I may have blocked it out.

I agree that Turin and Hurin both had a lot to go through. Hurin had to watch helplessly which would have been awful but Turin actually lived through all the tribulations. He did fall victim some to his own pride.

Elric was very tragic but also fairly perverse in his own right.

What do you all think of Paul Atreides from Dune? He had to live through some terrible twists to give the galaxy the lesser of two evil futures. He may not be in the same class as some of the others mentioned though.

Archived