News and Comedy.

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 SinisterDeath

SinisterDeath
  • DM - Staff
  • 15,911 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:11 PM

Okay, so in recent weeks, we have Rush Limbah saying women who use contraceptives are 'sluts' and 'prositutes'; And others in the Media, don't take people like Jon Stewart seriously 'because' they are comedians, and in the same breath, Jon Stewart says things like he doesn't have to maintain a 'journalistic integrity, because HE IS a comedian'. Liberals may like bill maher/jon stewart, andhate Rush Limbah, and vice versa, or evensimply not take Jon Stewart and Bill 'seriously' in any context.

So yea. Discuss.

But remember one thing.

If we can't take Comedians or Entertainers Seriously;
Why is it then, we took David Frost seriously?

gallery_6827_296_97964.jpg

#2 Hallow

Hallow

The Suzerain of Night

• Members
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:54 PM

I don't think comedy is a shield that you can use to say generally disgusting and reprehensible things (Limbaugh and Mahr). And it's not like comedians don't face consequences for the offensive shit they say "just because they're comedian", just ask Michael Richards or Tracy Morgan. I do think however, that it's a way of notifying the audience that a show isn't going to be a purely factual and objective screening of news. That way when you watch something like Jon Stewart, you know that it's a show that is about finding the funny in real world events, but not entirely abut reporting on real world events.

That doesn't mean you can't take comedians seriously however. I feel like Stewart often has some very good points on his show, and usually argues for them quite well (even if most of the arguments are spiced with satire), because of that I can agree with and take seriously a lot of his message, but still have a good time laughing at the delivery.

Edited by Hallow, 14 March 2012 - 12:00 AM.

"HAIL THE MARINES!"
- Heavies of the Bonehunters

"I saw in their faces the erosion of her will, and they bore it. They bore it as they did all else. These Malazans, they shame the gods themselves..."
— Aranict

Debates & Discussions Moderator. PM me if you have any questions.

#3 Nolder

Nolder

Soul Survivor

• Members
  • 15,752 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:09 PM

re: Rush
He can say whatever he likes as far as I'm concerned
he's an entertainer and shocking people is a great way to bring attention to yourself and whatever you're talking about
just ask Eminem

#4 Hallow

Hallow

The Suzerain of Night

• Members
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:06 AM

he's an entertainer and shocking people is a great way to bring attention to yourself and whatever you're talking about
just ask Eminem

Anyone can obviously say whatever they want, free speech and all that. However, when people call out Limbaugh for example on his disgusting shit then "I'm a comedian!" or "I'm an entertainer!" isn't a valid excuse, and it never has been. Again, just ask Micheal Richards.
"HAIL THE MARINES!"

"I saw in their faces the erosion of her will, and they bore it. They bore it as they did all else. These Malazans, they shame the gods themselves..."
— Aranict

#5 Nolder

Nolder

Soul Survivor

• Members
  • 15,752 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:24 AM

just ask Eminem

Anyone can obviously say whatever they want, free speech and all that.

That's not technically true but for the purposes of this discussion I suppose cases where it's not true are irrelevant

However, when people call out Limbaugh for example on his disgusting shit then "I'm a comedian!" or "I'm an entertainer!" isn't a valid excuse, and it never has been. Again, just ask Micheal Richards.

First of all I think "excuse" is the wrong word there
it implies he is guilty of something which he isn't
he's exercising his right to "call it like he sees it" just like you when you refer to his rhetoric as "disgusting shit"

Secondly when has it ever been the case that an entertainer that uses words as their form of entertainment (musicians, comedians, commentators, etc) should have to apologize for anything they say? If you don't like their brand of entertainment then you just don't listen and your problem is solved right?

#6 Hallow

Hallow

The Suzerain of Night

• Members
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:49 AM

That's not technically true but for the purposes of this discussion I suppose cases where it's not true are irrelevant

I believe it should be, but that's an entirely different discussion.

he's exercising his right to "call it like he sees it" just like you when you refer to his rhetoric as "disgusting shit"

And by excuse I mean this. If I call Limbaugh a disgusting piece of scum (which he is) to someone who likes him. They'll imideatly jump to "He's an entertainer! It's okay!", and I don't think that is a valid defense, seeing as it never has been for any comedian or entertainer.

Secondly when has it ever been the case that an entertainer that uses words as their form of entertainment (musicians, comedians, commentators, etc) should have to apologize for anything they say? If you don't like their brand of entertainment then you just don't listen and your problem is solved right?

It's always been the case. I could start listing comedians who have gone too far in their acts and have been forced to publicly apologize, and in some cases even retire from comedy. Comedians have certain license to "get away" with mildly offensive bits, but they've never been able to go "all out" without it damaging their image and/or careers.

In short: I don't really care what Limbaugh says or doesn't say (I don't get offended easily), but being an entertainer has never been a shield that lets you say the most depraving things you can think of without facing the consequences of what you say.
"HAIL THE MARINES!"

— Aranict

#7 Nolder

Nolder

Soul Survivor

• Members
  • 15,752 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:30 AM

I believe it should be, but that's an entirely different discussion.

I agree

And by excuse I mean this. If I call Limbaugh a disgusting piece of scum (which he is) to someone who likes him. They'll imideatly jump to "He's an entertainer! It's okay!", and I don't think that is a valid defense, seeing as it never has been for any comedian or entertainer.

I think you're jumping to conclusions that may not be true
I haven't looked into it beyond the random internet gossip but it appears that even some fans of Limbaugh's show have condemned what he said
but whether they have or haven't doesn't really matter

what you're saying is that being in the entertainment business is no excuse for saying...hateful? things
honestly I'm really not sure where you even think a line can be drawn here
is it ok for Chris Rock to say nigger during his stand up?
that is a historically hateful word isn't it?
where do we start sacrificing entertainment to appease politically correct soccer moms?

in my opinion never and no where
some jokes come too soon after a tragedy or are just in poor taste
some seem hatefully motivated, true
but I don't think it's right to say these people shouldn't be allowed to say such things period
it's their choice as an entertainer

#8 chuckievi

chuckievi

Debates & Discussions Mod

• Members
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:09 AM

just ask Eminem

Anyone can obviously say whatever they want, free speech and all that. However, when people call out Limbaugh for example on his disgusting shit then "I'm a comedian!" or "I'm an entertainer!" isn't a valid excuse, and it never has been. Again, just ask Micheal Richards.

The irony is that Bill Maher just came out and said that he is nothing like Limbaugh because when he called Sarah Palin a c-nt it was in his comedy act so it was totally okay.

Maher, who recently made headlines for donating $1 million to President Barack Obama’s super PAC, told Tapper that his comedy routine that referred to Palin as a “c—t” drew “one of the biggest laughs,” and that “not one person ever registered disapproval.”
“It was a routine where that word came in at just the right moment. Context is very important, and it’s also important to remember that stand-up comedy is the final frontier of free speech,” he said

#9 Hallow

Hallow

The Suzerain of Night

• Members
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:45 AM

just ask Eminem

The irony is that Bill Maher just came out and said that he is nothing like Limbaugh because when he called Sarah Palin a c-nt it was in his comedy act so it was totally okay.

Maher, who recently made headlines for donating $1 million to President Barack Obama’s super PAC, told Tapper that his comedy routine that referred to Palin as a “c—t” drew “one of the biggest laughs,” and that “not one person ever registered disapproval.”
“It was a routine where that word came in at just the right moment. Context is very important, and it’s also important to remember that stand-up comedy is the final frontier of free speech,” he said

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for Comedy to be able to touch on any subject (and I mean absolutely anything) without repercussions and outrage. My only point is that if Michael Richards (example) has to publicly apologize and essentially retire from comedy for calling two black men in a comedy club "niggers" then Limbaugh should also face repercussions for calling all women who enjoy sex prostitutes.
"HAIL THE MARINES!"

— Aranict

#10 SinisterDeath

SinisterDeath
  • DM - Staff
  • 15,911 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:48 AM

just ask Eminem

Yes, but as with Rush's case, if he says something 'truelly' disgusting, his advertisers pull out. (which is exactly whats happening) Bill Maher, has no advertisers, he's on HBO. (And as he says, just before skino-vision)

I still say Jon Stewart has the right of it. Being a Comedian/Entertainer isn't a shield. People end of apologizing if they say something that offends enough people that it becomes headline news. And while What bill said is offensive, I'd say its only offensive to Palin, and not to all women, where as what Rush said was... Well quite frankly, offensive to a LOT more people. And when it comes to it, Bill calling Palin a walking vagina, is probably the nicest thing he's said about her. :P

Theres also the whole 'how many people watch Rush over Maher?' I'm betting Rush has a far, far larger audiance, so the room for error is.. alot larger. The only REASON (non liberals? and or conservaties that watch Maher to finger point) is because Rush needed someone to say 'I'm not the only one! that says stupid offensive things!' And it really does say something that fox news is heralding the 'rush defense' campeign.

(Mind you, its Fox News coming out in the defense of 'entertainers being entertainers' in the defense of rush, and forgettign that same arguement when its 'bill maher or jon stewart'.

And as for Comedy being hte last bastion of free speech? Well, thats been true since the dark ages... you know.. court jesters making jokes at the kings expense... Go a lil to far for a joke and get drawn and quartered? Ahh the good ol' days right? :P

#11 chuckievi

chuckievi

Debates & Discussions Mod

• Members
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:52 PM

I'm agreeing with you Hallow, I don't think I was very clear on that point. Comedy isn't a shield to call people truly hateful things. It really angers me that Maher is actually trying to say what he did was okay but what Limbaugh did was so so wrong. IMO they are both idiots.

#12 SinisterDeath

SinisterDeath
  • DM - Staff
  • 15,911 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:38 PM

I'm agreeing with you Hallow, I don't think I was very clear on that point. Comedy isn't a shield to call people truly hateful things. It really angers me that Maher is actually trying to say what he did was okay but what Limbaugh did was so so wrong. IMO they are both idiots.

Actually go watch the clip, or the entire episode. Fox, cnn, ect love to pull bill, ruwh, and jon stewart out of context.
I believe bill said what he di about"its just comedy" both sarcastically and ironically.

When i get home ill youtube u sme example clips from billand jon in regards to beibg taken out of context.

And that in itself is something jon stewart has slammedhe news companies about.
He as a comedian IS allowed o pull people out of context to mock them. But jurnelists shouldn't be able to and still have 'integrity'.

And its still sad that entertainers and comedians have historically, brought to light many 'scandels' that journalists dont touch.

#13 Red2111

Red2111

DM's Red Headed Step Child

• DM - Staff
  • 15,042 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:05 AM

this is what happens though when Entertainers like Rush, Beck, Hannity, Maher, Stewert, Mathews ... ect are where people get most of their "news" from. whcih is the case for 98% of america becuase true unbiased, un tampered with jurnalism is dead.

because of this, political satire comedians or entertainers are upheld to a hire standard than comedians like Craimer or Chris Rock. and honestly, the entertainers owe it not only to their listeners but to their own reputations to not purposefully pass infactual things off as legit fact (which is different from opinion, which is most of what Rush spews in his 3 hours a day)

Okay, so in recent weeks, we have Rush Limbah saying women who use contraceptives are 'sluts' and 'prositutes'; And others in the Media, don't take people like Jon Stewart seriously 'because' they are comedians, and in the same breath, Jon Stewart says things like he doesn't have to maintain a 'journalistic integrity, because HE IS a comedian'. Liberals may like bill maher/jon stewart, andhate Rush Limbah, and vice versa, or evensimply not take Jon Stewart and Bill 'seriously' in any context.

actually, you're taking what he said out of context (which happens all the time to him on PMSABC and soemthign he enjoys poitning out on his show)

he was commenting on the fact that she's asking us (tax payers) to pay for her controceptives because she's having too much sex to afford them. he then asked the rhetorical question to Snerdly

"What do you call a woman who asks you to pay for her sex?" *instert annoying tapping on desk* "yes, that right. you call her a slut."

while i'm not defending Rush on this, and don't agree with his word usage to prove a point (something he's already apologized for) the context "calling all women who take controceptives a slut" is totally out of context. he was referring to a single woman who was argueing for Obamacare becuase it would then cover her controceptives. this is totally different.

obviously you've never tried to talk to a dittohead about Rush then, i've talked to a few of them aside form myself and no one defends Rush 100% of the time. i also find this dipiction of dittoheads (like myself) very disrespectful.

also, have you actually tried to listen to his show or are you just basing your opinion of him being scum from snippets other media lights post abotu him and what he gets in the news from. becuase if your basing your judgement on the latter i'd highly suggest you try listening to the entire 3 hrs on any given day, you maybe surprised by what you hear.

also, if you truely thnk he's scum; i also encourage you to call up his show. so long as your not just touting alot of the lies the drive byes tend to spew abotu him, he'll most liekly take your call. he revels in the chance for changing peoples opinions or "educating" them as he calls it.

yes their both idiots, but atleast 60% of what Rush preaches is based in fact. i tried 30 minutes of Maher (and Mathews) show and had to flip the channel becuase of all the blatant double standards and lies they we're spewing.

i dunno about Maher, but the thing peopel have to realize about Rush is that most of the crap he says that gets the drive-by's panties in a twist, he says on purpose just to get their panties in a twist and get his name on their show. he does it on purpose. it doesn't excuse his behavior, doesn't make him less of an idiot for doing it, but unlike Maher and his comments about Palin, Rush was spewing it becuase he believed it, but instead to stoke a fire and spit in the drive bys eyes.

lets not just stop at what the left side has said about Palin either. what about the names they call Black Republicans, or the death wishes for Chaney (or even now suggesting that he shoudl have been denied the heart due to age ... um, death panels much), or the names they've called Bush (yet don't let anyone ever use Obama's middle name cause it's muslimi). i could go on.

what i find disgusting is that Obama called for sponsors to leave Rush yet accepted the million dollars from Maher. and honeslty, as a woman, being called the C-word is infinetly worse than being called a slut, whore or prostitue inthe same sentence.

and what i find funny is that it wasn't even a week after those sponsors pulled support before they came crawling back to him
Posted Image

siggies by: Ama, Mashi, Frog, Ithi, and Boopsy <3 u all

#14 SinisterDeath

SinisterDeath
  • DM - Staff
  • 15,911 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:22 AM

actually, you're taking what he said out of context (which happens all the time to him on PMSABC and soemthign he enjoys poitning out on his show)

he was commenting on the fact that she's asking us (tax payers) to pay for her controceptives because she's having too much sex to afford them. he then asked the rhetorical question to Snerdly

"What do you call a woman who asks you to pay for her sex?" *instert annoying tapping on desk* "yes, that right. you call her a slut."

I listened to the entire thing, he did in fact call her a slut, and a prostitute, He said it in a ROUND ABOUT WAY, but he STILL SAID IT!
And want to talk about 'failure to deliver the facts?"

Rush seems to believe, you take the 'pill' EVERYTIME you have sex, because apparnetly, thats how the pill works, amIright? /sarcasm (why else would he use the words 'she's haveing too much sex, to afford contraceptives' which completely implies, he actually thinks, the pill is like 'condoms'. (course, there is the 'morning after pill, but that is not what she's advocating for... least, not entirely)

Face it, what he said was factually wrong, and blatantly stupid, and if he said that crap on the forums, he'd be Trolling, pure and simple.

while i'm not defending Rush on this, and don't agree with his word usage to prove a point (something he's already apologized for) the context "calling all women who take controceptives a slut" is totally out of context. he was referring to a single woman who was argueing for Obamacare becuase it would then cover her controceptives. this is totally different.

So, how does this relate to the c- word? double standard? I mean, if he calls one woman a slut because she wants contraceptives to be included in her medical plan, he's only calling 'her' a slut and not all women a 'slut' but calling palin a C word is highly insulting to you, as a woman, and thus, he's calling all women c's?

obviously you've never tried to talk to a dittohead about Rush then, i've talked to a few of them aside form myself and no one defends Rush 100% of the time. i also find this dipiction of dittoheads (like myself) very disrespectful.

also, have you actually tried to listen to his show or are you just basing your opinion of him being scum from snippets other media lights post abotu him and what he gets in the news from. becuase if your basing your judgement on the latter i'd highly suggest you try listening to the entire 3 hrs on any given day, you maybe surprised by what you hear.

also, if you truely thnk he's scum; i also encourage you to call up his show. so long as your not just touting alot of the lies the drive byes tend to spew abotu him, he'll most liekly take your call. he revels in the chance for changing peoples opinions or "educating" them as he calls it.
yes their both idiots, but atleast 60% of what Rush preaches is based in fact. i tried 30 minutes of Maher (and Mathews) show and had to flip the channel becuase of all the blatant double standards and lies they we're spewing.

i dunno about Maher, but the thing peopel have to realize about Rush is that most of the crap he says that gets the drive-by's panties in a twist, he says on purpose just to get their panties in a twist and get his name on their show. he does it on purpose. it doesn't excuse his behavior, doesn't make him less of an idiot for doing it, but unlike Maher and his comments about Palin, Rush was spewing it becuase he believed it, but instead to stoke a fire and spit in the drive bys eyes.

I have listened to his show. Life circumstances and all, having to stay with some 'family' for awhile, and having someone who 'has' to listen to rush limbah and nothing else, everyday? Yea, I've listened to that idiot, and you couldn't be more wrong about him telling the 'truth', He tells it like 'he' sees it, which isn't necissarilly 'reality'.

I have litterally see the same "news reports he has", and what he says, and what actually happened, can easilly be two very different things.
And everytime its good news? He'll find a way to make conservatives out to be the good guy, and liberals to be the bad guy, and bad news, it was 'conservatives told ya so, and 'liberals are at fault'. Doesn't matter what it is, hell it could even be bad news about a republican, and it'll be those damned liberals faults.

At least Maher & Stewart, are willing to make fun of liberals, as well as conservatives, regardless of how much of a fan or not they are of said person.

lets not just stop at what the left side has said about Palin either. what about the names they call Black Republicans, or the death wishes for Chaney (or even now suggesting that he shoudl have been denied the heart due to age ... um, death panels much), or the names they've called Bush (yet don't let anyone ever use Obama's middle name cause it's muslimi). i could go on.

what i find disgusting is that Obama called for sponsors to leave Rush yet accepted the million dollars from Maher. and honeslty, as a woman, being called the C-word is infinetly worse than being called a slut, whore or prostitue inthe same sentence.

and what i find funny is that it wasn't even a week after those sponsors pulled support before they came crawling back to him

I dunno about any 'death' jokes on cheney (youtube?)

And another difference here.

Remember Larry Flint?
I can't recall this particularilly active politician/religious guy, but he basically had a comic, stating that said public figure, had sex with his 'grandmother', and has said far worse things, about 'public figures'. And thats garunteed by free speech laws, to say such things.
Sarah Palin = Public Figure.

That girl testifying? Not so much. Course, she probably 'could' be considered so 'now', after everything with Rush..

#15 SinisterDeath

SinisterDeath
  • DM - Staff
  • 15,911 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:26 AM

http://en.wikipedia....i/Public_figure
Just as a refrence.
http://en.wikipedia....ynt_vs._Falwell

So yea, prior to it, she wasn't a public figure, but she is 'now' but that was 'after the fact' of what rush said.
Palin, was already a public figure.
(infact, I lost all respect for her, when she gave up her office as governer... 'because the media was picking on me'. And thats why, I would very, very, very much not want to see her ever become president. (so much so, i'd probably actually go out and get people to NOT vote for her. :P) I mean, if that little bit of 'pressure' got to her? Presidency? uggh she'd last a month, unless she were to stomp all freedom of speech..)

#16 Majsju

Majsju
  • Members
  • 9,963 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:55 AM

Historically, homour has always been used to communicate political ideas, especially ideas that gets little to no coverage elsewhere. However, something that has been pretty much an inofficial rule until just recently is that you aim upwards. And the higher you aim, the harsher/ruder you can be. So when people from a position of power aims downwards, they are simple bullies.
Posted Image

#17 Red2111

Red2111

• DM - Staff
  • 15,042 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:01 PM

I listened to the entire thing, he did in fact call her a slut, and a prostitute, He said it in a ROUND ABOUT WAY, but he STILL SAID IT!
And want to talk about 'failure to deliver the facts?"

i'm not saying he didn't call her those names, refer to the boded part of your original sentence. the usage of the word women is plural and meaning more than one. where as woman is singular.

the way you said it, implies that Rush is calling ALL women who use conroceptives sluts and prostitutes; which is a mis-quote and changes the meaning of what his words mean.

this is what i take issue with, and why i say you take his words out of context. something that, like i said, happens to him alot; either by changing words so the meaning changes or splices sound bytes together.

Rush seems to believe, you take the 'pill' EVERYTIME you have sex, because apparnetly, thats how the pill works, amIright? /sarcasm (why else would he use the words 'she's haveing too much sex, to afford contraceptives' which completely implies, he actually thinks, the pill is like 'condoms'. (course, there is the 'morning after pill, but that is not what she's advocating for... least, not entirely)

as i wasn't listening to his show that day, i'll not be saying whether he was joking or not. but as i've been listening to rush for over 4 yr now and know how the man can be when he's being mischievious the underlined could have been him exageratign and being sardonic about the issue to prove a point.

if you've played Mafia, the tactic is referred to as "beatign the grass to startle the snakes" where you purposefully do somethign stupid to see who latches onto it so you can inturn trap them and get them lynched. and i can fully see Rush saing somethign like that while either tapping on the desk or crumpling paper to emphasize his point.

again, not defending him or his words, just explaining it and that i think your interpretaions (given my previous 1st hand knowledge of Rushes shows in their entire context) how he generally acts when he says crap to fan the flames. like his "i hope obama fails" shpell (which i was listening to live when he started in on it)

Face it, what he said was factually wrong, and blatantly stupid, and if he said that crap on the forums, he'd be Trolling, pure and simple.

never said the man wasn't a troll; infact that term is very apt for what he does when he decides to bait the drive-bys. but i also doubt that he was seriously explaining thats how birth control works.

So, how does this relate to the c- word? double standard? I mean, if he calls one woman a slut because she wants contraceptives to be included in her medical plan, he's only calling 'her' a slut and not all women a 'slut' but calling palin a C word is highly insulting to you, as a woman, and thus, he's calling all women c's?

first off, this was in referance to your misquoting (see above for explination)

second, i said in context of words, being called a slut is less offensive than being called the c-word to majority of women.

third, the double standard comes from the reaction towards Rush versus the reaction to Maher (and many others ont he left side) for using derogitory names against a female.

fourth, i no where did i say i foudn the comments against Palin more offensive than what Rush said. what i said was, in general, a woman being called the C-word is more offensive than being called a slut. my issue is with the word, and which i find more offensive, and has no bearing on who was called the word.

fith, i never implied that Maher was calling all women the c-word i stated very specifically that that comment was directed at Palin.

I have listened to his show. Life circumstances and all, having to stay with some 'family' for awhile, and having someone who 'has' to listen to rush limbah and nothing else, everyday? Yea, I've listened to that idiot, and you couldn't be more wrong about him telling the 'truth', He tells it like 'he' sees it, which isn't necissarilly 'reality'.

the only news on his show that i'm referring to is when hes quoting news articles or statistics, the rest is his opinion.

theres also a difference between a ditto-head and boarderline stalker; seems to me, you got yourself a boarderline stalker for him and they would defend him that way :laugh:

nah, i like Rush, he's a great entertainer, and i agree with abotu 75% of the stuff he says and love how he riles up the left side and liberals; but he's not the best thing since sliced bread. again, Rush is a commentator, not a journalist; so majority of his show is biased opinion. i've never made any illusion on here that he's not.

i do happen to trust him (and the right side in general) to have their facts more accurate than the left; because they're the minority in the media and have to dot their I's and cross their Ts for the most part because the drive-by's are foaming at the mouth for a reason to shut them up.

I have litterally see the same "news reports he has", and what he says, and what actually happened, can easilly be two very different things.

this happens in jurnalism too. take the NY Times and the NY Post. even if their reporting on the same issue, the articles are going to be different because one paper has conservative journalist and the other has liberal journalist. it also depends on which site your checking to for the so called news. Drudgereport is a trumped up rhino paper while the Huffingtonpost is Liberal-spin central.

And everytime its good news? He'll find a way to make conservatives out to be the good guy, and liberals to be the bad guy, and bad news, it was 'conservatives told ya so, and 'liberals are at fault'. Doesn't matter what it is, hell it could even be bad news about a republican, and it'll be those damned liberals faults.

At least Maher & Stewart, are willing to make fun of liberals, as well as conservatives, regardless of how much of a fan or not they are of said person.

it's called pandering to his base, keeping it entertaining and being the Republican Parties mascot. again, when you listen to Rush you have to realize that unlike Hannity, beck or Savage; Rush is attached to the institutional Rhino tit and therefor wont go against his base. this is why, while he sometimes knocks Romney, he's still throwing a bit of support to him and trumping him up, same as he did for McCain in the 08 election.

and Rush, along witht he others i've listed, does poke fun at the Right. he's cracked jokes abotu McCains age; as well as teh "chocking on a pretzel" from bush and the hunting incident with Chaney.

I dunno about any 'death' jokes on cheney (youtube?)

And another difference here.

Hannity was airing montages of the Media joking abotu Cheney's heart attacks. the one i'm citing basically said "i'm not wishing him dead, i just want to know when to pay the caterer" or somethign along those lines. i'll see if i can dig up the quote; it was in his "general" left sided media montage, which also have stewart poking jokes about Cheney's ill health.

more recently, you have the left side debating whether Cheney's shoudl have gottent he heart due to his age even though he waited the 22 months on the list.

Remember Larry Flint?
I can't recall this particularilly active politician/religious guy, but he basically had a comic, stating that said public figure, had sex with his 'grandmother', and has said far worse things, about 'public figures'. And thats garunteed by free speech laws, to say such things.
Sarah Palin = Public Figure.

That girl testifying? Not so much. Course, she probably 'could' be considered so 'now', after everything with Rush..

i'm 26, i can barely remember the OJ trial or Rodney King beating in LA. that name doesn't even ring a bell.

and actually theres a fine line while talking about peopole between free speech and defermation of character. for instance, the "slept with his grandmother" if its true then its freedom of speech; but f it's not, thats rumor mongering and defermation of character.

So yea, prior to it, she wasn't a public figure, but she is 'now' but that was 'after the fact' of what rush said.
Palin, was already a public figure.
(infact, I lost all respect for her, when she gave up her office as governer... 'because the media was picking on me'. And thats why, I would very, very, very much not want to see her ever become president. (so much so, i'd probably actually go out and get people to NOT vote for her. :P) I mean, if that little bit of 'pressure' got to her? Presidency? uggh she'd last a month, unless she were to stomp all freedom of speech..)

i don't get where you think your going with Palin, i've been very vocal on the fact i never liked her, or Bachmen in the political light. i liek Palin as an aggetator cause she seems to PO the liberals some what fierce, but i think she's given conservative women like myself a big hurdle and stero type to over come. i mean look at Bachmen, she was a Sarah Palin clone, all she needed was a pair of glasses.
Posted Image

#18 SinisterDeath

SinisterDeath
  • DM - Staff
  • 15,911 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:50 PM

i don't get where you think your going with Palin, i've been very vocal on the fact i never liked her, or Bachmen in the political light. i liek Palin as an aggetator cause she seems to PO the liberals some what fierce, but i think she's given conservative women like myself a big hurdle and stero type to over come. i mean look at Bachmen, she was a Sarah Palin clone, all she needed was a pair of glasses.

The lady Rush 'slandered' wasn't a 'public figure' until he 'slandered' her.
Sarah Palin was already a 'public figure' when Maher called her a C. (Ironically, I can't find a youtube vid of that performance.. anywhere)

And the thing about 'her' and calling her a slut/prostitute = calling all women a slut/prostitute, is because he basically insinuated, that 'using' birth control, for the reason she stated (whcih had nothing to do with sex, contrary to what rush said, but instead, having to do with the 'womens health benefits' from using birth control, regardless of sexual activity) that all women who 'want' birth control on insurance plans, 'like her' were sluts/prostitutes/ect.

Also take what rush said.
"She's having SOOO MUCH SEX' that she can't AFFORD birth control"

What would the amoutn of sex, have anything to do, with taking birth control, when they take it as a preventative to certain cancers/diseases? (i think the l ast figure showed 90% of the women who use birth control, don't acutally use it for that purpose, but to make periods, 3-4 times a year, instead of monthly, as well asprevents cancers)
Where in taking birth control (for women) does having no sex, and taking it, and have sex multiple times every day in a month, have anything to do, with a pill you take once a month?

He has a serious misunderstanding of how birth control works, and that isone of the main things Maher & Stewart were making fun of rush on.

#19 Red2111

Red2111

• DM - Staff
  • 15,042 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:00 PM

Sarah Palin was already a 'public figure' when Maher called her a C. (Ironically, I can't find a youtube vid of that performance.. anywhere)

i still dont get what point your trying to prove by compairing Palin to the one Rush insulted, nor do i see the point of defining whats considered a public figure.

you tube may have removed it, they tend to censor alot of the videos now a days. whether it's for copy right reasons or politics i dunno. liek i said, i'm having a hard time finding the quotes on the stuff they said abotu Cheney as well.

And the thing about 'her' and calling her a slut/prostitute = calling all women a slut/prostitute, is because he basically insinuated, that 'using' birth control, for the reason she stated (whcih had nothing to do with sex, contrary to what rush said, but instead, having to do with the 'womens health benefits' from using birth control, regardless of sexual activity) that all women who 'want' birth control on insurance plans, 'like her' were sluts/prostitutes/ect.

first off there are other forms of birth control aside from the Pill. and no matter what pill se was on, it woudln't cost her 4 grand. at most she'd spend a few hundred dollars; i used to take Yaz (a higher end birth control cause it deals with PMDD as well) and that was 70 w/o perscription drug coverage. even with the types like Seasonque (which shortens your cycle to once every 3 months) your looking at 120 a month, and thats given out at a 3 month supply. even the depo shot is only about 120 w/o insurance. and the patch is abotut he same as the depo shot. the insertion forms are more expensive, but you only have them once a year and there not in the thousands either.

obviulsy she was also using condoms, since the figure of 4000 cannot be accounted for in just birth control costs. other forms of birth control, such and the morning after pill which is 75 a pop, lubes, sponges, spermacide, and pregnacy tests. out of these, only the Pill is covered by insurance, because it's the only form you need a perscription for.

Rush wasn't only referring to the Pill, but more than likely the OTC methods which are 1 use items. he does expect his audeince to be a bti smarter than most and not to have every single thing spelled out, unlike others who feel the need to treat their audiences like they have the comprehension of a 2nd grader (liek the politicians treat us voters as well)

and yes, to spend 4000 a month on birth control means either your a clinic or having way too much sex imo. even if you have sex every night, with a condom and sponge and are on the Pill, your still not goign to spend 4000 in 31 days.

ofcourse, she could be buying new toys & porn each month and called that birth control. which, in a twisted way, toys can be considered a type of birth control, same as masturbation.

What would the amoutn of sex, have anything to do, with taking birth control, when they take it as a preventative to certain cancers/diseases? (i think the l ast figure showed 90% of the women who use birth control, don't acutally use it for that purpose, but to make periods, 3-4 times a year, instead of monthly, as well asprevents cancers)
Where in taking birth control (for women) does having no sex, and taking it, and have sex multiple times every day in a month, have anything to do, with a pill you take once a month?

and who said the Pill was the only form of Birth Control? yes, the amount of sex you have does directly effect the amount of condoms (ie: birth control) you purchase. the amount of unprotected sex, or amount of broken condoms you find does effect the amoutn of morning after pills you purchase. the amount of sex you have does effect the amount of pregnacy tests you get to test (and STD tests) you take each month just to give you peace of mind.

STD tests aren't birth control, but if your that sexually active, where you require 4 grand to cover birth control, you should relaly be testing your self on a regular basis.

He has a serious misunderstanding of how birth control works, and that isone of the main things Maher & Stewart were making fun of rush on.

and i think your being way to literal with his words on this tbh. again, if he stated "the Pill" i'd be more understanding; but i ask again, since when is the term "birth control" limited to just referring to the Pill.

Edited by Red2111, 30 March 2012 - 09:03 PM.

Posted Image

#20 SinisterDeath

SinisterDeath
  • DM - Staff
  • 15,911 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:48 PM

i still dont get what point your trying to prove by compairing Palin to the one Rush insulted, nor do i see the point of defining whats considered a public figure.

you tube may have removed it, they tend to censor alot of the videos now a days. whether it's for copy right reasons or politics i dunno. liek i said, i'm having a hard time finding the quotes on the stuff they said abotu Cheney as well.

first off there are other forms of birth control aside from the Pill. and no matter what pill se was on, it woudln't cost her 4 grand. at most she'd spend a few hundred dollars; i used to take Yaz (a higher end birth control cause it deals with PMDD as well) and that was 70 w/o perscription drug coverage. even with the types like Seasonque (which shortens your cycle to once every 3 months) your looking at 120 a month, and thats given out at a 3 month supply. even the depo shot is only about 120 w/o insurance. and the patch is abotut he same as the depo shot. the insertion forms are more expensive, but you only have them once a year and there not in the thousands either.

obviulsy she was also using condoms, since the figure of 4000 cannot be accounted for in just birth control costs. other forms of birth control, such and the morning after pill which is 75 a pop, lubes, sponges, spermacide, and pregnacy tests. out of these, only the Pill is covered by insurance, because it's the only form you need a perscription for.

Rush wasn't only referring to the Pill, but more than likely the OTC methods which are 1 use items. he does expect his audeince to be a bti smarter than most and not to have every single thing spelled out, unlike others who feel the need to treat their audiences like they have the comprehension of a 2nd grader (liek the politicians treat us voters as well)

and yes, to spend 4000 a month on birth control means either your a clinic or having way too much sex imo. even if you have sex every night, with a condom and sponge and are on the Pill, your still not goign to spend 4000 in 31 days.

ofcourse, she could be buying new toys & porn each month and called that birth control. which, in a twisted way, toys can be considered a type of birth control, same as masturbation.

and who said the Pill was the only form of Birth Control? yes, the amount of sex you have does directly effect the amount of condoms (ie: birth control) you purchase. the amount of unprotected sex, or amount of broken condoms you find does effect the amoutn of morning after pills you purchase. the amount of sex you have does effect the amount of pregnacy tests you get to test (and STD tests) you take each month just to give you peace of mind.

STD tests aren't birth control, but if your that sexually active, where you require 4 grand to cover birth control, you should relaly be testing your self on a regular basis.

and i think your being way to literal with his words on this tbh. again, if he stated "the Pill" i'd be more understanding; but i ask again, since when is the term "birth control" limited to just referring to the Pill.

First, its not $4000 a month.
Thats something That was misquoted by rush big time, (if thats actually what he said.. i can't even recall at this point)
http://online.wsj.co...1399954950.html

Heres some of her testimony there.
"$3000 during Law School"
School lasts between 8-10 months a year? How many years? 4? 6? (over 6 years, thats $500 a year, 4 years, thats $750 You cited, $70 for Yaz, which is a 3 month prescription, right? $280 a year on that, so obviously thats 'lower', $120 a month for the other? 4 payment sa year for 3 months at at ime? $480. If that $70 one was per month, thats $840.)

Birth Control pills, are 'generally' what is reffered to, when talking about.... birth control for women. And thats what she was talking about, in her testimony. Not Spermacides, and not the morning after pill. or Lube, or dildos, or porn videos. Birth Control Pills.

http://rncnyc2004.bl...-on-sandra.html

Anyways, the entire POINT on the public figure thing is this.

If you are a public figure, & because of Flynt, i can say you have sex in the outhouse with your grandmother, And you can't sue me for emotional damages.

Sandra Fluke 'was' not a public figure, int he strictist sense, when Rush, made his comments about her. Thus, she could, and very easilly win a 'lawsuit' against Rush, if she decided to sue him for 'emotional damages' for the slander against her.

She is 'now' a public figure, beucase of this case, so 'other' parties can escentially say the same damned, thing, but she can't sue them, on those 'grounds', except for the libel/slander aspect.