DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Book Mark Crafts

U4ea

OK, I thought it might be fun to have a whole thread dedicated to book marks. They are small (usually) and most of the time they are made out of things you happen to have handy or can pick up REALLY CHEAP! I'm going to post the ones I find (and I'll be looking all month, so keep checking in) and you can post the ones you find, too!

When you make one (because hopefully you will!), share it with us! Sometimes just posting a "wow, I made that and it was so easy!" is all the inspiration folks need to try it themselves!

OK, I thought it might be fun to have a whole thread dedicated to book marks. They are small (usually) and most of the time they are made out of things you happen to have handy or can pick up REALLY CHEAP! I'm going to post the ones I find (and I'll be looking all month, so keep checking in) and you can post the ones you find, too!

When you make one (because hopefully you will!), share it with us! Sometimes just posting a "wow, I made that and it was so easy!" is all the inspiration folks need to try it themselves!

I love this! What a great idea!

Book Thongs-

This is a cool one that I make pretty regularly and I love it because you can tailor it to the person you're making it for AND it uses beads, which have been an addiction of mine since I was about 5. LOL

Step 1- You find some nice durable thread. I drop into the jewelry section of the craft store and grab the WAXED jewelry line. The wax keeps the threads from fraying!

Step 2- Pick out some beads that you like. I use glass beads because they are nice and heavy. I try to vary the sizes, but try to match the colors. I also grab some little dangling thing to add to one end of the book mark. I have used a lot of things for this, but the sterling silver or nickel charms in the jewelry dept are usually where I end up.

Step 3- cut a length of thread that matches the type of book you're making the mark for. If I'm only going to use the bookmark on paperbacks, the thread will be shorter than my hardback book mark. If you're aiming for something in the middle, try about 16". Keep in mind that we're going to be taking up a few inches on either end of the string and you want that amount to hang OUTSIDE of the margins for the book so you don't ruin the pages.

Step 4- lay out your beads. I will put 3-4 beads on the "light" end that hangs out of the top of the book and 5-6 beads + the charm on the bottom end. I try to "frame" the larger beads with smaller ones so it looks like this: oOo------------------oOoOo<

Step 5- start from the heavy end and tie the charm onto the thread. Then start threading your beads on, making sure you cover the end of the string that's left over from tying the knot (this will help keep it from unraveling from the knot). Tie a knot close to the topmost bead, making sure to get as close to the bead as you can and double knotting until the beads can't get past your knot.

Step 6- measure the length of thread you want between the beads (ie, the length of the page you're making the book mark for) and tie another set of knots. Usually, you need the same number of knots here as you did at the end of step 5. This will be the base for the light end of your book mark.

Step 7- thread the beads for the light end onto the thread and tie it off. Make sure the knot is really tight and tuck the extra thread into the beads in the light section to help keep it from unraveling.

And you're done! :D

The result will look something like this:

9355732.jpg

I recently made these for some folks at work! It's really simple... Go to your nearest home improvement store and nab some of those paint chip strips in whatever color makes you happy (I like purple...). Then DECORATE THEM! I've seen people slap stickers on them, use a hole punch to make designs on them, I used that puff fabric paint to put little white hearts on mine! Trim the strip as needed (I cut off the paint color names, but you don't have to!), punch a hole at the top and thread some cheap ribbon through it and POOF! Instant book mark!

I nabbed this pic from a blog linked in pinterest:

valentine-paint-chip-bookmark.jpg

Here are some new ones I've stumbled on to:

img_4956-copy.jpg

Magnetic Book Marks

Fathers-Day-Paper-Bookmark.jpg

Crafty Monster Book marks

SCbookmark_1_reg.JPG

corner book mark... you gotta see this

This one is the 2nd project on this page, so scroll under the card with the bird on it and you'll see the book mark. SUPER EASY and looks great! Like she said, it can also double as a gift card holder! :)

These are fantastically cool! I will definitely have to try some of them out (when I can carve some time out of my over-scheduled not-so-free-time!) I particularly like the paint-color strip ones and the little corner monsters. Also the heavier Victorian looking beaded ones.

Archived