DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Prophecies of the Dragon

nirve9909

I'm doing a re-read and I think I have something. The Prophecies say something like "Twice dawns the day his blood is shed, Once for mourning once for his rebirth" (don't have the exact quote sorry). I've seen a lot of theories that think there's going to be some sort of time freeze or power surge that looks like a new dawn, but I disagree with those. I think it's just a twisting of the translation that gives us that wording. I don't think there's going to be a day that has two dawns, but rather two seperate days. The first was when Lews Therin created Dragonmount, and the second is when Rand get juxed over Falme. That's his mourning and re-birth and two dawns. That's what I'm really leaning towards, but as I was typing I realized it may also have something to do with Lews Therin being the Lord of the Morning and Rand being He Who Comes With the Dawn. Anyway, I'm a little tired so I hope I explained myself well enough.

I'm doing a re-read and I think I have something. The Prophecies say something like "Twice dawns the day his blood is shed, Once for mourning once for his rebirth" (don't have the exact quote sorry). I've seen a lot of theories that think there's going to be some sort of time freeze or power surge that looks like a new dawn, but I disagree with those. I think it's just a twisting of the translation that gives us that wording. I don't think there's going to be a day that has two dawns, but rather two seperate days. The first was when Lews Therin created Dragonmount, and the second is when Rand get juxed over Falme. That's his mourning and re-birth and two dawns. That's what I'm really leaning towards, but as I was typing I realized it may also have something to do with Lews Therin being the Lord of the Morning and Rand being He Who Comes With the Dawn. Anyway, I'm a little tired so I hope I explained myself well enough.

Some people have speculated that 'twice dawns the day' might mean two different days, though not exactly like this. Imho it's not totally implausible, except the prophecies do usually refer to the future. Also it's 'once for mourning, once for birth' not 'his rebirth', which makes it less likely.

Here's the actual text:

Twice dawns the day when his blood is shed.

Once for mourning, once for birth.

Red on black, the Dragon's blood stains the rock of Shayol Ghul.

In the Pit of Doom shall his blood free men from the Shadow."

I have no idea what it means. There's plenty of theories about it but I haven't found one that's convinced me. But, I do think from the text it looks like they're saying "On this day his blood is shed there will be two dawns." I don't think it's referring to two events separated by a great deal of time. I'm also very sure this isn't something that's happened yet. So trying to make it fit based on events we've seen seems fruitless to me. This is something that can only be speculated about, and as for what it means or how it will go down, I have not a clue.

I remember a similar situation in an old fantasy series called the Pydran Chronicles (if it helps, its the one Disney made into the movie The Black Cauldron). The princess in the story has what she calls her "bauble", a round magic orb that provides clear, bright light. In the last book, when Tarran and his forces are about to be ambushed by an overwhelming force of the enemy army, she uses her bauble at an 11 setting to shed enough light over the entire valley to allow Tarran to turn the tide on the ambush and survive. Granted the situation will likely be totaly diferent given the nature of Tarmon Gaidon, but what, in Randland blazes with enough light to be called "another sun"? This is likely tied directly to theongoing debate on what is going to happen when/if rand is killed before the start of TG and what happens after. Given the clues, I'm leaning towards Rand dying, the sun rising on the day after and his followers paralised by mourning, then calandor used in such a way as to bring him back, in a blaze of glory, either with Nyneve healing Death (wich is most likely given the vast number of times it has been beaten into us that only death is impossible to be Healed, we all know the old cluebat in action), or rippiing him out of TAR.

I agree with you twice dawns the day when his blood is shed, once for mourning, once for birth.

Well the first was the Aiel war - Aiel blood was shed in what is called the blood snows, when he was born. The second will be for his mourning - his death, when the Aiel will march for TG. So I agree with you. Just change "his" blood for "Aiel", and the prophecy becomes very clear.

Read book 4&5 again. The wise one's entire purpose in setting Avienda to watch over Rand was so that he will know "his blood".

I started thinking about it in The Great Hunt, Thom is telling Rand that the Old Tongue loses alot in the translation. He quoted on part and then this. I think it may be a little bit of that famed (as in supremely subtle) Jordan hinting. Since my theoretical second dawn is in the same book I'm really pretty sure that I'm right. Concerning whether or not it's something that's happened or not of course all prophecies are meant for the future but it's very possible that it happened here. Rand fulfills several prophecies throughout the series, at least two in this book alone (herons and appearing in the sky). I dunno I think I'm firmly in the believing me camp on this one.

Archived