Remember how much you used to hate Mat?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 ShowMeYourRage

ShowMeYourRage
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:28 PM

I preferred Mat when he didnt have a choice. The times when he was directly involved in Rands plans. From the sounding of the Horn right up to invading Illian I loved reading his storyline and character. After that, well I think the entire relationship with Tuon is fake, the Olver thing was cool but went nowhere forever, and I didnt enjoy his rescuing of Moiraine anywhere near as much as I thought I would.

The only thing that bothers me about Mat himself is, as mentioned, how much of a better friend he could be to Rand.
Rage! RAGE! Where is your anger, Snake?

#22 Randommer

Randommer
  • Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:39 PM

The Mat that feared Rand and didn't empathize with him (there wasn't a whole lot of sympathy there, either) wasn't the general. It was the kid who wanted to see the world. And he wasn't afraid enough to tell on Rand, or actually run away from him. And that whole thing was over in one book anyway - by the time they reached Toman Head Mat was as loyal a friend as one can ask for.

Would you cut him some slack? This thing, men touching the Source and going mad, destroying everything in their path, has happened in this world for three thousand years. It's the stuff of nightmares, literally. Rand is tainted by the DO. How would you expect him to react?
Perrin and Nynaeve, and definitely Egwene, did take it much better. But that makes them extraordinary, not common. And Mat shouldn't be condemned for not being able to follow their example.

I am cutting him slack; he's one of my favourite characters now. I'm just saying he's a strange dichotomy at times, and probably gets forgiven a lot more than other characters. And I'm not saying it's strange Mat turned from Rand, just that it was strange how he didn't seem at all saddened about it, and hasn't really since. He still thinks he's better off a thousand miles away from Rand, and spent an awfully long time blaming him for his own destiny, without showing any gratitude for the many times Rand saved his life, when the same treatment from the girls irked him. And don't even get me started on his treatment of women, marrying the enemy, etc. I do still think he's great, but his flaws do tend to get hand-waved more than those of any other character in the series. Not surprising considering he's the lovable rogue guy, I suppose.

#23 DaoineSidhe

DaoineSidhe
  • Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:40 PM

I have to say that considering that Matt was still suffering from the effects (to one degree or another) of the dagger at the time, it is not at all surprising that he was the one who most abandoned Rand when it turned out that Rand could not only channel, but was the freaking DRAGON REBORN!! Now, I know, the dagger wasn't supposed to be influencing him at that point; however, when Lanfear walks in on him after being healed in the WT, she thinks to herself that he is too suspicious for her to use him without him realizing it, especially because of permanent effect of carrying the dagger. I suppose you could just call that being a Matt apologist, but that was always my take on reading that part of Matt's character.

Matt has always been one of my favorite characters, because he is his own best FOIL. To me, it is absolutely hilarious that the LEAST responsible character, at least so far as we're told, is the first one to be a parent, and not only that, but for the most part does a pretty good job of it. There's more that I love about him, but many of those thoughts have been said here or elsewhere, I'm sure, just wanted to add that little bit of irony that made me chuckle while re-reading the series recently.
Matt: "What are you going to do now?"

Rand: "Something you should like. I am going to break the rules."

Matt: "I meant are you going to eat? Me, I'm hungry."