DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Galad=Goner

Darth Tron

I feel as if Galad has nearly served his narrative purpose. He brought the Whitecloaks into the fold, and he appears to have helped Perrin (mostly) resolve his Whitecloak issues. Add in the fact that someone on the good side has to die, and I feel he's a strong candidate. Post-FOM I imagine he'll end up "doing what is right" somehow involving a sacrifice for the Light-side. I don't know if this would be "Blood on the Rocks" because we all know that is its own conversation, plus I see no tangible evidence to confirm or deny this theory. I guess it's in play, but a more conventional sacrifice would be likely. Anyways, thoughts?

Just realized I was in wrong forum...will repost in AMOL forum...sorry guys

Interesting...

But for some reason, don't know why, I don't see both Galad and Gawyn dieing.

I figure gawayn is intending to use one of the 3 rings he kept from the Bloodknife assasins, and that will kill him.

And, if galad does die....what will that do to Elayne ?

Maybe finally allied Tuon will hint at the existence of the Bloodknives to Egwene and save Gawyn -

doubtful, because the only real way for him to gain esteem with the fans is through a great sacrifice/

Verin moment. Discussions about his swordskill have been mentioned, so maybe he will take out one

of the Forsaken (?).

And considering Galad, I feel his time is coming too; not before he gets Berelain pregnant, of course.

Oh no, I think he's an unmitigated ass, but he and Berelain are going to be the "...and they lived happily ever after" couple of the series. Remember Min's vision of a man in white in Berelain's future? That is a destiny-forged match if ever there was one. Becides, the two most beutiful people in the story hooking up and falling hopelessly in love? WHat kind of cold cynical bastard doesnt want that? She'll make him less of a prig and he'll make her...well...he'll..um...he'll be good arm-candy for the First lol. No, they'll be a good couple and probably become the greatest rulers in post-TG Randland.

If Galad is then he's a learner, like maybe Tigraine or Tarangail was. I'm thinking Tigraine was to produce the Dragon Reborn. Maybe Gawyn will kill a raftload of graymen with his rings and then die. I hope Galad doesn't die although he might because he's very honorable. That Brandon quote about GRRM-esque could refer to GRRM killing honorable characters.

Whoa! Assuming his geneology (Moiraine/Elayne on the Damodred side)(Rand on the Mordrellin [sp] side) actually affects his chances of being able to learn (it was still a theory in its hypothesis stages), then he would be the first Whitecloak Lord Captain to be a channeler! What a plot twist - I truly hope he can!

Whoa! Assuming his geneology (Moiraine/Elayne on the Damodred side)(Rand on the Mordrellin [sp] side) actually affects his chances of being able to learn (it was still a theory in its hypothesis stages), then he would be the first Whitecloak Lord Captain to be a channeler! What a plot twist - I truly hope he can!

Moot point - not enough time for Galad to do anything of substance with it, even if he has the ability to learn.

It takes months of intensive training before channelers (sparkers or learners) can do seriously useful things.

AMoL is driving to a conclusion within a few weeks.

Same logic for why Fortuona won't really use her channeling potential to much effect in AMoL.

• 4 weeks later...

The OP could be on to something, if the dream Egwene had in TSR11 is anything to go by.. Galad, wrapping himself in white as though putting on his own shroud. Galad has already wrapped himself in the white cloak of the CotL; and the reference to graveclothes - 'his own shroud' - suggests rather strongly that he will die as a Whitecloak.

Hmmmm, the theory has merits, especially FSM's quote of the dream. But for some reason it does not seem likely for me. Galad hasn't actually "fixed" the Whitecloaks, much like Egwene hasn't done so with the Aes Sedai.

They are both followed because they are great leaders, and are forcing these changes. If Galad were to die, the Whitecloaks would not necessarily keep their decisions to help out channelers and such.

I think, like Egwene, Galad needs to survive to fully revolutionize the Whitecloaks and change their system, him dying would just put them back to square one.

hard to say who will bite it in amol, but here is something crazy that could happen with galad. lets say gawyn does get the chance to go all nutty on rand and try to fight him. then maybe galad learns about it and his righteous thinking kicks in, knowing that rand is the only chance for the light, and steps in to fight gawyn and stop him from doing anything. maybe thats when gawyn puts on a bloodring...could be an interesting showdown

• 2 weeks later...

hard to say who will bite it in amol, but here is something crazy that could happen with galad. lets say gawyn does get the chance to go all nutty on rand and try to fight him. then maybe galad learns about it and his righteous thinking kicks in, knowing that rand is the only chance for the light, and steps in to fight gawyn and stop him from doing anything. maybe thats when gawyn puts on a bloodring...could be an interesting showdown

I'm pretty sure ToM firmly wrapped up the Gawyn hating Rand bit. When he goes to visit his sister and has his moment of self psychologist he figures out that he's mostly just jealous of Rand and makes up his mind to put that behind him. Follow that up with reuniting with his mom at FoM and he has no reason to attack Rand unless A. he just goes Full Doucher or B. Egwene commands him.

• 1 month later...
Guest Gundahar

I feel as if Galad has nearly served his narrative purpose. He brought the Whitecloaks into the fold, and he appears to have helped Perrin (mostly) resolve his Whitecloak issues. Add in the fact that someone on the good side has to die, and I feel he's a strong candidate. Post-FOM I imagine he'll end up "doing what is right" somehow involving a sacrifice for the Light-side. I don't know if this would be "Blood on the Rocks" because we all know that is its own conversation, plus I see no tangible evidence to confirm or deny this theory. I guess it's in play, but a more conventional sacrifice would be likely. Anyways, thoughts?

Just realized I was in wrong forum...will repost in AMOL forum...sorry guys

Served his purpose?? Have you forgotten that he's the only person alive that can claim blood relation to Rand? "The Dragon's Blood will stain the rocks of SG" or.. have I had the wrong all along..because RJ has gone through a lot of effort to make Rand's and Galad's lineage known, yet brushed it aside like we'd forget about it..

Moot point - not enough time for Galad to do anything of substance with it, even if he has the ability to learn.

It takes months of intensive training before channelers (sparkers or learners) can do seriously useful things.

AMoL is driving to a conclusion within a few weeks.

I don't think Galad can learn, but it isn't a moot point. RJ wanted the story to have a life after the ending. Us finding out that Galad can learn to channel would be very amusing because we know that he is the Lord Captain Commander. That's all that needs to happen and it gives us some fun things to think about.

As for the OP, Galad has more to do. He got a letter from Verin.

Its so hard to say who's going to die in AMoL. I definitely don't think Galad can channel. Even if he can, like some of you guys said, he doesn't have time to learn, so what's the point? I've believed (and hoped) he was gonna hook up with Berelain for a loooonnnnnggggg time, so if that doesn't happen before the Last Battle and he dies I'm gonna be pissed. But feelings aside, I think its a very good possibility that he will die. He is (as others have stated) the last remaining blood relative of Rand's so it just makes sense...

I've always struggled with predicting who is going to die because in my mind, all the main characters seem pretty important. Now, I'd be okay with Rand dying, seriously. He served his purpose. Perrin, I've wanted him dead for a while, and I think post-LB Randland will get along just fine without him. Mat is going to live, I hope. As for all the other main characters, I can definitely see the roles they could play after the Last Battle. But we shall see :)

I've believed (and hoped) he was gonna hook up with Berelain for a loooonnnnnggggg time, so if that doesn't happen before the Last Battle and he dies I'm gonna be pissed.

Define "hook up" so I can decide whether to tell you to re-read Towers of Midnight. I find it unlikely we'll see much more of their "hook up" than we already have (they're together constantly), unless they decide to have a quick wedding before the Last Battle.

I've believed (and hoped) he was gonna hook up with Berelain for a loooonnnnnggggg time, so if that doesn't happen before the Last Battle and he dies I'm gonna be pissed.

Define "hook up" so I can decide whether to tell you to re-read Towers of Midnight. I find it unlikely we'll see much more of their "hook up" than we already have (they're together constantly), unless they decide to have a quick wedding before the Last Battle.

If Galad dies during TG, he'll be probably be mooning over Berelain when he is caught off-guard. Those two are beyond hopeless in their "hook up." But it seems we haven't seen, or they haven't had time, for "privacy." Berelain will want to "work on" her heir/heiress to the throne after TG.

If Galad dies during TG, he'll be probably be mooning over Berelain when he is caught off-guard. Those two are beyond hopeless in their "hook up." But it seems we haven't seen, or they haven't had time, for "privacy." Berelain will want to "work on" her heir/heiress to the throne after TG.

I just think anyone expecting us to actually get a close glimse at this is going to be disappointed. I think we'll see it from other PoVs (like we already have). And, does Perrin really know that they aren't hanging out in a tent together?

Archived