Favorite "Quiet" Scenes

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#81 The Fisher King

The Fisher King
  • Members
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:56 AM

I really liked it when Logain was there when word came about all those people dying and instead of letting them mourn he was just "Mourn if you want but do it on the way to the Last Battle."

Or words to that effect.

Fish

#82 Luckers

Luckers

Hostile Witness

• Members
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:18 PM

Yeah I loved that scene too Fish.

Also, Galina's breaking scene in KoD. Awesome writing.

Follow Me On Twitter: or check out my WoT FAQ and Theories

------

Terez: The word 'douche' appears twice in the database. Both times it's you

Luckers: I'm nothing if not a creature of habit.

------

Brandon Sanderson: I KNOW I did a good job. Not perfect, but very good. I know it as an artist.

#83 Pointer

Pointer
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:27 AM

Call me creepy but, I love the scene in FoH when Kadere is in his wagon after he has murdered Isendre and he's chopping her up into little tiny bits, reminiscing about his sister. I love RJ's ability to get into the mind's of the evil-doers and portry their thoughts so well. I found it funny that Kadere never even realized that Lanfear was amongst them. He just thinks to himself that she must have been butchered by the Aiel during the night or something...

Excellent darker writing IMHO.

-Time. Flying on wings of lightning, it's gone in a flash with no hope of calling it back.
Surging to life, only moments to impact the world, never to be recreated exactly. Never as good as the original.
A moment's hesitation and the flash goes unseen. Another opportunity lost.
Soon the tempest will pass, as quickly as it appeared.
Will we be left drenched in bitterness, towards a storm we could not weather?
Or, with a smile, will we watch for rainclouds; eager to dance with the lightning again?-

#84 Shig

Shig
  • Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:55 AM

From 'Knife of Dreams' just re-read this quote, still chuckling. It's when Loial and Erith get married. On the surface it's a bit...

"He cupped the back of her head and barely had the presence of mind not to finger her ear".

Loial's got some suspect fetishes.

#85 Azrayne

Azrayne
  • Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:54 AM

Loial's got some suspect fetishes.

I think that's an ogier thing.

Besides, suspect fetishes aren't anything new to Jordan's books, dude is seriously fixated on womens ankles (of all things?).

#86 Alric

Alric
  • Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:38 AM

The scene where Rand is subtly questioning Elenia to find out if the girl he wants to bang is a close blood relative. Hah!

:laugh: I loved that scene. There was also some bonus satisfaction for us who had figured it out beforehand.

#87 Alric

Alric
  • Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:06 AM

Mat and Birgitte in aCoS.

#88 Garen

Garen

Jaheira is my co-pilot

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:13 AM

Mat and Birgitte in aCoS.

This! Their whole conversation is one of the best quiet moments in the series.

As I'm doing my final re-read, I'm sure more will crop up...I also like the very early scene when Moiraine and Thom meet in the Two Rivers and are talking about stories. Moiraine mentions "some stories she likes, some she does not". It's really something that only sticks out upon re-reading, obviously, but I thought it was funny how she was subtly telling Thom "you know what I am, so don't be telling scary Aes Sedai stories and blowing up my spot here". :P
Proudly believing in Cadsuane Melaidhrin since 1999.

#89 Rachel_VIP

Rachel_VIP
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:39 AM

Hi! :)

I don't know if this counts but i totally love the Rand-Nyn moment at "Towers Of Midnight". It was one of the most emotional moments in the whole series. I actually cried when she hugged him. Very powerful!

Also Egwene and Moiraine's talk by the fire when she was teaching her about the One Power ("The Eye Of The World")

Every moment with Rand and Avi together. :rolleyes: :wub:

#90 BenevolentCow

BenevolentCow
  • Members
  • 722 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:00 AM

The novice/accepted (Sarah I think?) who saw Min arrive being killed on the farm is one of the saddest/most awesome scenes in the series. Something about her PoV makes you really feel like she was hard done by being sent there, and then she dies for just doing what she was told. You learnt her hopes and dreams in that short passage only to have them suddenly ripped out.

#91 Sunrise Lord

Sunrise Lord
  • Members
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:17 PM

In TDR when Perrin and Loial are fishing with their hands, and Moiraine wants to try, and ends up catching their dinner right off the bat. Personally, I think she used the OP to catch them. Still awesome to see an AS fishing with her bare hands.
Posted Image
"It should be intuitively obvious to the most casual observer."--RJ

#92 GB

GB
  • Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:13 AM

the golden crane chapter in koD

:nynaeve: :nynaeve: :nynaeve: :nynaeve: \

p..s may have used one too many nynaeve emoticons :lan:

Edited by GB, 07 May 2012 - 08:13 AM.

And with hope gone, flickering on the edge of consciousness like a guttering candle flame, she did something she had never done before in her life. She surrendered completely.

Saidar flowed into her, filled her.

(Mashiara, A Crown of Swords )

#93 Halleck

Halleck
  • Validating
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:57 PM

The chapter What Follows In Shadow from tEotW where Egwene and Rand are being teased for all the people they flirted with while the party was separated. It was a nice moment from way back when because all of them seemed so innocent and hopeful. Plus the first time I read the book I genuinely thought that Rand and Egwene would end up together, so it is weird to think about how far apart they have grown when they were originally so close.