DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Favorite "Quiet" Scenes

aross

In ToM when Rand refers to himself as Rand Sedai while talking to Caddy. May be a bit to climactic for this thread though so I will also say that I loved going back and looking at the open eyed wonder of the superboys when they get to see a real gleeman and lady!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really liked these two:

"I will remain calm. I am not dead. I must remember that above everything else. I am not dead." - Siuan Bk 4

"What else can we do?' Leane said eventually. She rode slumped in her saddle now like a sack of grain. 'I feel so...empty. Empty.' 'Find something to fill it up' Siuan told her firmly." Bk 4

I think these little moments are what helped build her character, at least for me.

I like the scene in KoD when Karede meets another Seanchan Banner General to see what is ahead of him, and the general gives Karede a breakdown on everything the Band of the Red Hand has been doing to pull the Seanchan out of the Gap ahead. It's a little insight into Karede himself, a little insight into Seanchan customs, plus an underscoring in just how good the Band is in combat and how good a commander Mat is. We kinda take it for granted until we see what his maneuvering looks like from the other side.

The scene in the same book when Tuon likens Mat to a lion on the high plains and realizes she doesn't know him at all.

Mat, Elayne, Nynaeve and the rest traveling to Ebou Dar, with Vandene and Adeleas "studying" Mat's ter'angreal from afar...including throwing things at him with the power.

"'Sleep well and wake, Rand Al'Thor.' Only an Aiel would say good night by wishing you didn't die in your sleep." I probably butchered that a bit, but you get the gist.

Great question!!

Just the ones that come to mind (ToM is most recent in my brain)

Mat's Letter to Elayne (LOVED THIS - literally guffawed)

Mat to Perrin - "I caught a badger." - I love that in the middle of all of this, he has retained some of the 'old Mat'...

Mat's prank on Joline - Same as above, but a little Aes Sedai payback. :)

Verin and Egwene in the Tower - Beautifully written scene.

Perrin and Faile on their Shanna'Har - Reconciliation and Forgiveness and for the first time, it seems they understand each other.

The entirety of the "Rand makes Amends" sequence in TgS and ToM.

Many of the Rand/Lews Therin dialogue scenes, just the little snippets of dialogue as he starts to realize he's not normal.

Many of the rest of my favorites, I don't know that I could classify as 'quiet' scenes as they really contributed to the plot significantly, and there are so many good ones.

The scene in the same book when Tuon likens Mat to a lion on the high plains and realizes she doesn't know him at all.

This is one that really stuck with me. For some reason I recur to it frequently...just keep thinking about it.

Also, "The Car'a'carn has embraced death."

Or is that too climax-y? In a way everything post-Veins of Gold in the timeline is climax.

This is one that really stuck with me. For some reason I recur to it frequently...just keep thinking about it.

Or is that too climax-y? In a way everything post-Veins of Gold in the timeline is climax.

I was gonna post Taim telling the AS to kneel at the end of LoC. But then I realized that was about as climactic you get in WOT.

Rand apologizing to Tam in ToM tugged at my heartstrings.

I was gonna post Taim telling the AS to kneel at the end of LoC. But then I realized that was about as climactic you get in WOT.

Rand apologizing to Tam in ToM tugged at my heartstrings.

I liked it too. Despite my fervent wish that EVERYONE over the age of 30 didn't.refer to everyone ELSE as "Son" under Brandon Sanderson.

Ok, a 'quiet' scene that for me was really terrifix was: In Boom 4, Thom and Moiraine sitting there verbally sparring with each other. Thom comments silently that shes hot and she calls him The Gray Fox.

Cant beat it.

Fish

I am on a reread book 3 TDR The parts where Rand is on his journey to Tear really got to me.. By himself, hunted.., starting to go insane and starting to realize it...if those stupid villages and farmers and inkeepers only knew who that strange young man was......

The moment where Rand, Min, Elayne and Avi finally meet all four, and everyone tells everyone they love each other. And the bonding.

Pretty awesome. " A Lily In The Winter"...Winters Heart.

Fish

+1. It's one of mine too.

The other one - "Far Snow".

. One that made me laugh so hard was this part in Winters Heart ....

"She feels him steel himself, and says again that he has to go; Elayne stops him and says there is one more thing. Min and Aviendha hastily clear out, eyeing each other doubtfully. Rand watches warily.

“There is something they have had from you that I haven’t,” Elayne began, and choked, a flush scalding her face. Blood and ashes! How did other women go about this?"..

p.s. Min is the one who really scores when it comes to the three of them, if you think about it...I really love them all..

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster.

Best scene for me is EoTW when rand for the first time spots a myrddraal. Even on rereads this gives me chills knowing that a myrddraal isnt that big of a deal, that myrddraal could have ended everything beore it even began. The scene just fits into this world so well, it feels like it could have been any day when walking on a road in a remote area.

When Rand so kindly owns Cadsuane in ToM and calls her his junior and ask her to use the honorific "Sedai" and the way he says it, no smart ass comment just kindly pointing out cold hard facts.

Oterwise i think there are way to many good moments, not counting big battles or such, to even begin ranking them.

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster.

Best scene for me is EoTW when rand for the first time spots a myrddraal. Even on rereads this gives me chills knowing that a myrddraal isnt that big of a deal, that myrddraal could have ended everything beore it even began. The scene just fits into this world so well, it feels like it could have been any day when walking on a road in a remote area.

When Rand so kindly owns Cadsuane in ToM and calls her his junior and ask her to use the honorific "Sedai" and the way he says it, no smart ass comment just kindly pointing out cold hard facts.

Oterwise i think there are way to many good moments, not counting big battles or such, to even begin ranking them.

You're right. There are way too many to begin ranking them - but its sure fun to try! :)

Fish

When Rand introduces Min officially to Tam. I cried. I'm 30, a guy and a softie. Proud of it too.

Lan swearing what he thought was a warder oath to Moiraine and then the real thing. Reading that after knowing what they have gone through made me a bit giddy.

Many of my favorite scenes throughout the books develop characters. These are not great reads because of explosions, swordplay, or even high drama. It's just stuff. Understand? Just people talking or doing what they do or maybe discovering a little something about themselves.

So if any of you think, "Cool! My favorite scene is Dumai's Wells!" Don't. Just don't. Because this discussion doesn't give a crap about battles.

"My favorite scene is Perrin forging Mah'alleinir. That rocked!" Climax, so again, don't.

On the other hand, "I just love it when Elayne pinches Rand's butt," would be just great, if that scene is a favorite of yours.

Here are a few of mine:

The Eye of the World - Elyas gesturing to Perrin, "They say he can."

The Great Hunt - Anything with Hurin. I LOVE that guy. Don't know why...

The Dragon Reborn - Perrin in Dermid Ajala's forge.

The Shadow Rising - Perrin with the Tinkers, and also, Perrin chewing out the Two Rivers lads.

The Fires of Heaven - Mat kneeling over the maps with Lan, and Asmodean staring at him as if seeing him for the first time. Also for that matter, ANYTHING with Asmodean! Killing him off was for me one of the great buzzkills of the Wheel of Time.

The Lord of Chaos - Mat calling to Egwene, "The Light shine on you Mother!" I thought that was quintessential Mat. He didn't necessarily believe, or buy in with Egwene as Amyrlin, but mess with Two Rivers Folk? Or his people?

Crown of Swords - Mat striking a bargain with Renaile. I loved how his memories and Ta'veren nature both contributed.

Path of Daggers - Talmanes and Egwene.

Winter's Heart - Anything with Mat and Tuon.

Crossroads of Twilight - Almurat Mor and Furyk Karede.

Knife of Dreams - Tuon's POVs! And, anything, ANYTHING, with Tylee Khirgan. If I might pick one, "I hope I never have to face you in the field. I'd be honored if you call me Tylee."

The Gathering Storm - Egwene in the Tower. Also, Tuon's first audience. Winning Beslan's loyalty. Hearing Tylee even though her opinion flew against convention.

Towers of Midnight - Galad confronting Asunawa. Forgive me for tooting my own horn, but following my prologue read, I predicted that Galad had already won. I reasoned that his battle was like Egwene's. I didn't know how, but I simply felt that, like Elaida, Asunawa dug his own grave.

Many of those seens are exceedingly boring......RJ used to have 2 or 3 pages describing the bee's wax that was caked on a table....

Many of those seens are exceedingly boring......RJ used to have 2 or 3 pages describing the bee's wax that was caked on a table....

While RJ did have his faults there is a place for absurd all action fantasy with blunt, non descriptive prose. It' called the Forgotten Realms.

Cadsuane interrogating Semirhage, the master torturer being held prisoner by a bunch of weaklings and Cadsuane figuring out different ways to get Semirhage to break without resorting to Sermirhage's methods. And then once Sorilea walks in.... priceless.

I really like the scene with Rand, Nynaeve and Tuon talking about Mat in The Gathering Storm...until Rand got bored with it and decided to try and bully Tuon into an agreement. But I found that quite funny.

The scene with Mat and Perrin in Towers of Midnight when Mat holds out the badger and asks if he wants to release it on the green, and then Perrin has to let the thing out after Mat sneaks through the gateway back to Caemlyn was nice because of how reminiscent of The Eye of the World it was.

A Cup of Sleep will always be a favourite although it makes me bawl like a baby every time I read it. It's the reason that A Path of Daggers will always be my favourite book, despite their being no Mat in it.

Oh, and whilst we're on A Path of Daggers: Perrin and Masema's talk near the end and Talmanes' and Egwene's talk when they're at the meeting with the nobles. It's the only Egwene scene I've ever liked, haha!

Lastly, I think it'd have to be in The Gathering Storm again, although it's not entirely "quiet", it's in the middle of the Hinderstap fiasco when the boys are running to the Aes Sedai's inn and Talmanes and Mat have that little moment where Mat has to assure Talmanes that Joline is not a woman, but an Aes Sedai. Made me giggle anyway! =P

Anyone of the scenes with Mat out gambling and winning lol.

The chapter: "A Conversation With The Dragon"

Rands conversation with the one guy with the Bell on his face forgot his name lol, right before sending him to Greandal.

Any part after WH when all the Aes Sedai and Asha Man and Suldam and Damen feel the colossal amount of power being channeled sends chills down my spine.

Rands conversations with Lews while they are trapped in the box.

Just a couple I could think of off the top of the dome.

Archived