• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#21 Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle

Silent Observer

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:22 AM

"By the way, that dress you are wearing is green.".......Blubberd like a baby with what follows..i always did like Verin..Wondorful gal..
I am He Who Rules the World

#22 aross

aross
  • Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:59 AM

@Jarlaxle:

Yep, completely agree! That scene is one of the great ones in the Wheel of Time or in any book. Just goes to prove that you don't need a fight to tell a great story.

Another question for all... if you had to choose books that are "meaty" or "bony", which would those be? The meaty ones force you to choose a favorite scene among many. The bony ones force to find a single scene that you can read without cringing. I looked it over and found, not surprisingly, that the "boniest" was also my least favorite book. And the meatiest was among my favorites.

Bony - Path of Daggers. I swear to you, if I hadn't remembered Egwene and Talmanes, I wouldn't have come up with anything at all. Almost left that one blank!

Meaty - A tough one... but for me it was The Dragon Reborn. With Mat's rise, and Perrin and Faile while their storyline sizzled, and Moiraine at her best, and The Black Ajah Hunters, Juilin, Mother Guenna, etc, etc, etc. So much good reading. And MY meatiest.

#23 Pinzarn

Pinzarn
  • Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:34 AM

Couple that are tied to some of the aforementioned story lines:

--Where the Deathwatch Guard enters Mat's camp, and the DW Guard starts talking to Thom as if he was the general. Then he is directed to Tylin's Toy.

--The various scenes where Mat glances at a map or battle formation and starts thinking if it is a good tactic or a poor one.

--Nynaeve's travels to the Borderlands to help rally support for Lan.

--At the battle of the White Tower with the Seanchan where the Aes Sedai try to take control from Egwene and she puts them in their place.

--The side scenes at the battle of the White Tower with the Seanchan where the various Aes Sedai realize that the only people doing well against the Seanchan are from the Novice floors.

--The scene where Rand is told of Alaana's side effect from the trio bonding him as their warder.

#24 Misheru

Misheru

We live and breathe words

• Members
  • 11,557 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:54 AM

I totally can't remember what that sideeffect is *scratches head*

mish_zpsbc1b2c19.jpg

Married to Vos * Aes Sedai of the Green Ajah * Souvra bonded to Brandie and Cloud * Mentor to Cloud and Tress

Winner of Best signature maker 2012 and 2013!

#25 Manscher

Manscher
  • Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:04 AM

She passes out for 3 days, and when she finds him in Far Madding, she's rather angry at him.

#26 Darthe

Darthe

Possible EP alt?

• Members
  • 11,931 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:33 AM

In ToM when Rand refers to himself as Rand Sedai while talking to Caddy. May be a bit to climactic for this thread though so I will also say that I loved going back and looking at the open eyed wonder of the superboys when they get to see a real gleeman and lady!

Nynaeve, on 08 Jul 2014 - 11:54 PM, said:

Your siggy breaks the size limit rule.

#27 Never

Never

God of Tetris

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:47 AM

Another good one, although it might not be "quiet" - Rand in tDR, when he lines up a squadron of DF's with the power and makes them bow to him!
"The Last Battle was almost won. Rand turned around to see the last six Trollocs remaining in the world kicking the now-stilled Egwene around. Elayne turned to him and said; "Aren't you gonna help?".
"Nah," Rand said, putting an arm around her shoulder and leading her away, "six should be enough".
And thus ends the story of the Wheel of Time.

#28 Altonahk

Altonahk
  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:12 AM

I love it when Tuon pitches a hissy fit because she is known as a "servant" and starts throwing things at Mat. Especially when she almost throws the chamber pot and Setalle Anan (SP?) hands her a cup to use instead.

#29 MashiraSedai

MashiraSedai

*The Mashiraball & Red Sitter *

• Members
  • 3,935 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:17 AM

I really liked these two:

"I will remain calm. I am not dead. I must remember that above everything else. I am not dead." - Siuan Bk 4

"What else can we do?' Leane said eventually. She rode slumped in her saddle now like a sack of grain. 'I feel so...empty. Empty.' 'Find something to fill it up' Siuan told her firmly." Bk 4

I think these little moments are what helped build her character, at least for me.

Red Sitter * Sister and Souvra to Crystal Tipps * Oath sister to Torrie * Sou'vra Bonded to Thorkikins * Mentor to Alira
Posted Image
"The world was quite mad. She might as well add her bit." - Elayne, TPoD

#30 Pug

Pug

Archmage of the Realm

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:22 PM

Winters Heart, when Rand goes to get Nyneave to help with the cleansing. Lan and Rand just stare at each other agreeing and accepting that Rand is dangerous.
Far over the misty mountains cold.
To dungeons deep and caverns old.
The pines were roaring on the heights.
The winds were moaning in the night.
The fire was red, it flaming spread.
The trees like torches... blazed with light.

#31 Saguin Venart

Saguin Venart
  • Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:26 PM

The Meetings between the Forsaken, Like the big meetings when 4 or more decide to show up. Watching the interactions is always fun.
"Kneel and swear before the Dragon Reborn, or you will be knelt"
Mazrim Taim

#32 QuietAiel

QuietAiel
  • Members
  • 604 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:40 AM

I like the scene in KoD when Karede meets another Seanchan Banner General to see what is ahead of him, and the general gives Karede a breakdown on everything the Band of the Red Hand has been doing to pull the Seanchan out of the Gap ahead. It's a little insight into Karede himself, a little insight into Seanchan customs, plus an underscoring in just how good the Band is in combat and how good a commander Mat is. We kinda take it for granted until we see what his maneuvering looks like from the other side.

The scene in the same book when Tuon likens Mat to a lion on the high plains and realizes she doesn't know him at all.

Mat, Elayne, Nynaeve and the rest traveling to Ebou Dar, with Vandene and Adeleas "studying" Mat's ter'angreal from afar...including throwing things at him with the power.

"'Sleep well and wake, Rand Al'Thor.' Only an Aiel would say good night by wishing you didn't die in your sleep." I probably butchered that a bit, but you get the gist.

#33 Blight

Blight

The Blight

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:23 AM

Great question!!

Just the ones that come to mind (ToM is most recent in my brain)

Mat's Letter to Elayne (LOVED THIS - literally guffawed)
Mat to Perrin - "I caught a badger." - I love that in the middle of all of this, he has retained some of the 'old Mat'...
Mat's prank on Joline - Same as above, but a little Aes Sedai payback. :)

Verin and Egwene in the Tower - Beautifully written scene.
Perrin and Faile on their Shanna'Har - Reconciliation and Forgiveness and for the first time, it seems they understand each other.
The entirety of the "Rand makes Amends" sequence in TgS and ToM.

Many of the Rand/Lews Therin dialogue scenes, just the little snippets of dialogue as he starts to realize he's not normal.

Many of the rest of my favorites, I don't know that I could classify as 'quiet' scenes as they really contributed to the plot significantly, and there are so many good ones.
“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose in the Mountains of Mist. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.”

#34 Pygmalion79

Pygmalion79

Court Philosoraptor

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:55 PM

The scene in the same book when Tuon likens Mat to a lion on the high plains and realizes she doesn't know him at all.

This is one that really stuck with me. For some reason I recur to it frequently...just keep thinking about it.

Also, "The Car'a'carn has embraced death."

Or is that too climax-y? In a way everything post-Veins of Gold in the timeline is climax.

#35 Saguin Venart

Saguin Venart
  • Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:22 PM

This is one that really stuck with me. For some reason I recur to it frequently...just keep thinking about it.

Or is that too climax-y? In a way everything post-Veins of Gold in the timeline is climax.

I was gonna post Taim telling the AS to kneel at the end of LoC. But then I realized that was about as climactic you get in WOT.

Rand apologizing to Tam in ToM tugged at my heartstrings.

Edited by Saguin Venart, 28 February 2012 - 04:24 PM.

"Kneel and swear before the Dragon Reborn, or you will be knelt"
Mazrim Taim

#36 The Fisher King

The Fisher King
  • Members
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:10 PM

I was gonna post Taim telling the AS to kneel at the end of LoC. But then I realized that was about as climactic you get in WOT.

Rand apologizing to Tam in ToM tugged at my heartstrings.

I liked it too. Despite my fervent wish that EVERYONE over the age of 30 didn't.refer to everyone ELSE as "Son" under Brandon Sanderson.

Ok, a 'quiet' scene that for me was really terrifix was: In Boom 4, Thom and Moiraine sitting there verbally sparring with each other. Thom comments silently that shes hot and she calls him The Gray Fox.

Cant beat it.

Fish

Edited by The Fisher King, 28 February 2012 - 08:13 PM.

#37 Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle

Silent Observer

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:41 PM

I am on a reread book 3 TDR The parts where Rand is on his journey to Tear really got to me.. By himself, hunted.., starting to go insane and starting to realize it...if those stupid villages and farmers and inkeepers only knew who that strange young man was......
I am He Who Rules the World

#38 Misheru

Misheru

We live and breathe words

• Members
  • 11,557 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:39 AM

The moment where Rand, Min, Elayne and Avi finally meet all four, and everyone tells everyone they love each other. And the bonding.

mish_zpsbc1b2c19.jpg

Married to Vos * Aes Sedai of the Green Ajah * Souvra bonded to Brandie and Cloud * Mentor to Cloud and Tress

Winner of Best signature maker 2012 and 2013!

#39 The Fisher King

The Fisher King
  • Members
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:23 AM

The moment where Rand, Min, Elayne and Avi finally meet all four, and everyone tells everyone they love each other. And the bonding.

Pretty awesome. " A Lily In The Winter"...Winters Heart.

Fish

#40 Skeeve the Great

Skeeve the Great
  • Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:24 PM

Pretty awesome. " A Lily In The Winter"...Winters Heart.

Fish

+1. It's one of mine too.

The other one - "Far Snow".