DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Sanderson Moments

Frost Wynters

So, for starters, let me just say, that i'm enjoying the work Sanderson is doing on these books. I've found that in many places, I couldn't tell what was Jordan, and what was Sanderson. That said.. there are some obvious Sanderson lines, that seem to be out of place. So, i'd be interested to hear from readers, what lines in the book, have you looking up to the heavens, clenching your fist and screeching: "Sannnderrrrsonnnnnnnnnnnnn" !!!!!!!!!

My Sanderson Moment was on page 620 of ToM, when Perrin says (to himself, at that): "I'm Perrin Goldeneyes,the man who can speak to wolves. And i guess that's a good person to be."

????? When i read this line, I thought.. wow.. this guy is either high.. or watching the twilight saga right now.(possibly a combination of the two)

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Knowing Brandon, assuredly neither. lol. Good call on the passage, though. Here is one of my favorites:

A flash of red cloth, like the blood of a dead rabbit in the snow, moved through the kitchens. Egwene froze as Katerine, wearing a dress with crimson skirts and yellow trim, spotted her. The Red's mouth was thin-lipped, her eyes narrow. Had she seen Egwene and Laras walk off?

Laras froze.

Aside from the crazy simile and the word-repetition thing (a trademark), I want to know when Katerine became a Tinker.

If we can just pick one, mine was...

At that moment, Doesine and Yukiri arrived, striding into the room. Saerin stood immediately. Slim Doesine glanced at the women around her. "What motion are we standing for?"

"An important one," Saerin said.

"Well, I suppose I'll stand for it, then."

"As will I," Yukiri said.

"Because," she said, raising a finger, "while I waited to find you—I honestly didn't know if it would be you or young Perrin—I realized that there were several things I could provide you that no other could."

She reached into a pocket of her dress, pulling out several pieces of paper. One was the picture of Mat. "You didn't ask where I got this."

"You're Aes Sedai," Mat said, shrugging. "I figured you . . . you know, saidared it."

One thing I thought was kinda funny, mainly because Brandon is very straightforward by nature (when Harriet and Maria allow him to be) was in one interview in the SPIFFY New Database when he is asked about the "Saidered" line, he said."You're assuming I wrote that."

Fish

I would bet a sizable amount on Brandon...

One thing I thought was kinda funny, mainly because Brandon is very straightforward by nature (when Harriet and Maria allow him to be) was in one interview in the SPIFFY New Database when he is asked about the "Saidered" line, he said."You're assuming I wrote that."

Fish

Well, I would too. Obviously. But - except for when he is under orders - Brandon tends to by nature be very forthcoming.

Fish

Fish

RJ used "out Aes Sedai each other", Saidered isn't that far from that.

Fish

GREAT Point. Just like in Book 5 Jordan had Mat declare "Things got pretty hairy." ...that STILL jars me out of the scene, lol.

Fish

I hear ya, Fish. I'm not saying that people aren't allowed to use those words :biggrin:

But when I'm reading a scene, wondering if it's RJ or BS, and come across a line like "Min steeled herself against the tempest raging inside of her. She adjusted her trousers, and wondered what the creature Semirhage was planning," ...I usually have my answer :p

I hear ya, Fish. I'm not saying that people aren't allowed to use those words :biggrin:

But when I'm reading a scene, wondering if it's RJ or BS, and come across a line like "Min steeled herself against the tempest raging inside of her. She adjusted her trousers, and wondered what the creature Semirhage was planning," ...I usually have my answer :p

Oh, on the principle, I'm with you 100% lol!!

Fish

Back when Gawyn was practicing swords against the Warders Sleete and Marlesh, it goes on to tell about Sleete's heroic journey after being wounded at Dumai's Wells. He hunts down and kills some bandits that were threatening a town after the Mayor's daughter nurses him back to health and argues for his life, and leaves because they were starting to have feelings for each other.

Then, we get

It was the marrow of stories and legends - at least, among regular, lesser men. For a Warder, Sleete's story was almost commonplace. Men like him attracted legends as ordinary men attracted fleas.

When I read that, and even when I reread it, I still usually say

What?

Fish

Not even in the same ballpark.

Fish

They are, however, three yards apart in the same tennis court. =P

Fish

Really? Both are using a unique noun in the place a verb. Saidered is apparently the verb form of Saidar, and Aes Sedai is apparently the verb form of Aes Sedai.

In other words, both used an already made up noun in the place of a verb for comedic effect. You simply refuse to acknowledge that they are the same thing because you are being stubborn.

Answer this: Would you have reacted the same way had it been RJ that used Saidered and BS who used "out Aes Sedai", or would it still be BS who you are criticizing because you dislike the idea that he is allowed some degree of playing around with word usage like that (and don't say it wouldn't happen, because if you really think they are that different... why are you still reading)?

Really? Both are using a unique noun in the place a verb. Saidered is apparently the verb form of Saidar, and Aes Sedai is apparently the verb form of Aes Sedai.

Yes, but the form used with Aes Sedai is quite common in the real world with similar proper nouns. Since saidar is a world word, it's not quite the same.

Yes, but the form used with Aes Sedai is quite common in the real world with similar proper nouns. Since saidar is a world word, it's not quite the same.

Yup. Not to mention it is just once piece in an area of TGS that is often held up for how awkward of a job BS did with Mat.

BTW Torn Shadow...I dont' think, I know they are that different at times. BS has admitted as much. The purpose of this thread is to point out those differences. The old "why are you reading then" in the face of any criticism is pretty feeble.

Speaking of saidared, and th speculations if it's Sanderson or Jordan-discussion...

Winters Heart, ch. 2 Taken: "Even when they Perrined him, Faile nearly always received the honorific from the Two Rivers men".

Case closed, I say. It doesn't matter who wrote it; Jordan has shown that he could have done it himself.

Speaking of saidared, and th speculations if it's Sanderson or Jordan-discussion...

Winters Heart, ch. 2 Taken: "Even when they Perrined him, Faile nearly always received the honorific from the Two Rivers men".

Case closed, I say. It doesn't matter who wrote it; Jordan has shown that he could have done it himself.

There is no speculation really, that entire Hinterstrap/Verin section is known to be Brandon. As I said above, I don't have a huge problem with that particular sentence even. It is all about the portrayal of Mat and extremely forced humor through that portion of TGS. The "saidared" part is usually mentioned as the highlight of that. It comes down to feel, we never have Saidar used in that way throughout the entire series and it felt very awkward when I read it. I feel fairly certain RJ would never have written it. Others can disagree, that is fine. Again I just find it hilarious when people brush aside any and all criticism of BS when he has acknowledged the issues and struggling with certain characters.

Archived