DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Quotes That Hit You on Rereads

arianrose

(First, do we have something like this? I couldn't find anything, but my search skills may be rusty. If so, feel free to ignore.)

I wanted some place to record the quotes that, on reread, are either more significant or simply more interesting. I don't have the stamina to create a full blog for my reread, but I do occasionally want to make short observations. These aren't my favorite quotes, simply the ones that pull me up short when I encounter them while reading the books to prep for AMoL.

Here's one that caught me yesterday, from TSR:

Elayne grimaced. "I promised I would keep her secret, and the first chance I get, I let me tongue run wild. Well, I don't suppose you will harm her or her sisters."

On telling Egwene that the Windfinders can channel. I chuckled a bit, thinking about the near 180 Egwene does about non-White Tower channelers as she comes into power.

Certainly the mentions of Rand's hand.

Thom very early on comments on Moiraine being attractive. But since he wasn't the only one, I never took the hint on my first readthrough.

Min's viewings, when she first meets Rand in tEotW, we now know that she knows a lot more than she lets on and you realize that on the reread. Poor girl.

Mins viewing to Elayne, that she supposedly had to share the man she (Elayne) fell in love with. Didn't know wether to laugh or cry at that on second reread. Poor girls (not that I personally would mind getting in on any of that action, yummies all around, lol)

Gawyn in EOTW:

It’s said Two Rivers people are stubborn. They can be led, if they think you are worthy, but the harder you try to push them, the harder they dig in. Elayne ought to choose her husband from there. It’ll take a man with a will like stone to keep from being trampled by her.”

The foreshadowing for Rand and Elayne relationship is obvious, but the more interesting part is that Gawyn himself is about to marry a person from Two Rivers, and he's definitely getting trampled by her.

I loved Semirhage's...

She had never been more than an indifferent tcheran player, but one daring way to capture your opponent's High Counselor and turn it to your side was to sacrifice your Spires in a false attack. Well, she would kneel if need be, but she would not be sacrificed.

Dragon Reborn Ch 31 Woman of Tanchico

“Rand is still well, then?”

Thom’s eyes sharpened to almost the keenness Mat remembered. “I am not sure I expected that. Moiraine is still with him, is she? A finelooking woman. A fine woman, if she were not Aes Sedai.

Meddle with that sort, and you get more than your fingers burned.

Towers of Midnight

Thom getting Moiraine free

So Mat stepped forward to pull Moiraine free. As soon as his hands touched the mist, however, he felt a blazing pain. He screamed, pulling back, shaking his hand.

"It's bloody hot" Mat said. "It ― "

He cut off as Thom stepped forward.

"Thom . . ." Mat said warningly.

"I don't care," the gleeman said. He stepped up to the mist, reaching in, his clothing beginning to steam, his eyes watering from the pain. He did not flinch. He dug into that mist and took hold of her, then pulled her free. Her weight sank into his arms, ...

Later on...

The old gleeman squeezed his eyes shut, holding Moiraine. He looked beaten, ground down to nothing. His hands were red and blistered from pulling her free, his coat sleeves burned.

Thom was right back in The Dragon Reborn and he sure got more than his fingers burned.

This is one of my favorite foreshadowings in WoT.

Caveatar

Nice one, Caveatar. I am hoping this one helps Rand at the FOM.

From TDR (Egwene, right after her Accepted test):

"Is that all there is for me?" she demanded. "To abandon him again and again. To betray him, fail him, again and again? Is that what there is for me?"

Favorite paragraph in the entire series:

It was a display to produce awe. Or perhaps to stroke a man's pride. Rand stopped Tai'daishar before Darlin. Unfortunately, the

rooster Weiramon accompanied the King, sitting his horse just behind Darlin. Weiramon was so lacking in wits that Rand would

barely have trusted him to work a field unsupervised, let alone command a squad of troops. True, the short man was brave, but

that was likely only because he was too slow of thought to consider most dangers. As always, Weiramon looked even more the

fool for attempting to style himself as anything other than a buffoon; his beard was waxed, his hair was carefully arranged to

hide just how much he was balding and his clothing was rich—a coat and breeches cut as if to be a field uniform, but no man

would wear such fine cloth into battle. No man but Weiramon.

I was disappointed when Weiramon was named a darkfriend. It seemed entirely out of place, and I liked the guy way more as the idiot lord of tear that Rand had to constantly watch over and manage before he ruined everything.

Nice one, Caveatar. I am hoping this one helps Rand at the FOM.

From TDR (Egwene, right after her Accepted test):

"Is that all there is for me?" she demanded. "To abandon him again and again. To betray him, fail him, again and again? Is that what there is for me?"

Yeah, that one caught me a few times on rereads as well.

TSR is filled with lines from Rand and Moraine that in hindsight is just filled with awesomeness.

It was a display to produce awe. Or perhaps to stroke a man's pride. Rand stopped Tai'daishar before Darlin. Unfortunately, the

rooster Weiramon accompanied the King, sitting his horse just behind Darlin. Weiramon was so lacking in wits that Rand would

barely have trusted him to work a field unsupervised, let alone command a squad of troops. True, the short man was brave, but

that was likely only because he was too slow of thought to consider most dangers. As always, Weiramon looked even more the

fool for attempting to style himself as anything other than a buffoon; his beard was waxed, his hair was carefully arranged to

hide just how much he was balding and his clothing was rich—a coat and breeches cut as if to be a field uniform, but no man

I was disappointed when Weiramon was named a darkfriend. It seemed entirely out of place, and I liked the guy way more as the idiot lord of tear that Rand had to constantly watch over and manage before he ruined everything.

It was foreshadowed though... from The Path of Daggers...

Absorbed in one another, Weiramon and Gedwyn did not hear him riding up on them. Gedwyn was idly playing with his reins, his features cold with contempt. The Tairen was red-faced. "I don't care who you are," he was saying to the black-coated man in a low, hard voice, spittle flying, "I won't take more risk without a command direct from the lips of..."

Abruptly the pair became aware of Bertome, and Weiramon's mouth snapped shut. He glared as if he wanted to kill Bertome. The Asha'man's ever-present smile melted away. The wind gusted, cold and sharp as clouds drifted across the sun, but no colder than Gedwyn's sudden stare. With a small shock Bertome realized

the man also wanted to strike him dead on the spot.

Gedwyn's icily murderous gaze did not change, but Weiramon's face underwent a remarkable transformation. The red faded slowly as he produced a smile in an instant, an oily smile with only a trace of mocking condescension. "I've been thinking about you, Bertome,"

It was foreshadowed though... from The Path of Daggers...

Absorbed in one another, Weiramon and Gedwyn did not hear him riding up on them. Gedwyn was idly playing with his reins, his features cold with contempt. The Tairen was red-faced. "I don't care who you are," he was saying to the black-coated man in a low, hard voice, spittle flying, "I won't take more risk without a command direct from the lips of..."

Abruptly the pair became aware of Bertome, and Weiramon's mouth snapped shut. He glared as if he wanted to kill Bertome. The Asha'man's ever-present smile melted away. The wind gusted, cold and sharp as clouds drifted across the sun, but no colder than Gedwyn's sudden stare. With a small shock Bertome realized

the man also wanted to strike him dead on the spot.

Gedwyn's icily murderous gaze did not change, but Weiramon's face underwent a remarkable transformation. The red faded slowly as he produced a smile in an instant, an oily smile with only a trace of mocking condescension. "I've been thinking about you, Bertome,"

I've mentioned it before but tPoD holds scenes that are some of my absolute favorites in the entire series. The whole Damona mountain campaign and of course the sneak attack/"A Cup of Sleep".

Here are some that spring to mind

Nynaeve's Accepted testing back in TGH

It seemed to her, just for a heartbeat, as if time had suddenly slowed, as thought that heartbeat took forever. She felt the flow inside her - saidar, came a distant thought - felt the answering flow in the lightning. And she altered the direction of the flow. Time leaped forward.

With a crash, the bolt shattered stone above Aginor's head. The Forsaken's sunken eyes widened, and he tottered back. "You cannot! It cannot be!" He leaped away as lightning struck where he had stood, stone erupting in a fountain of shards.

When Verin warns him to be careful in TGS, Mat thinks he can

do himself up so that even his sisters wouldn't recognize him

Moridin playing sha'rah in TPOD Pr - there are a few quotes there, this is my favourite

The Fisher was always worked as a man, a bandage blinding his eyes and one hand pressed to his side, a few drops of blood dripping through his fingers. The reasons, like the source of the name, were lost in the mist of time. That troubled him sometimes, enraged him, what knowledge might be lost in the turnings of the Wheel, knowledge he needed, knowledge he had a right to. A right!

When Verin asks the girls about their BA hunt in TDR. This confused me no end when I first read it, but was a real Ooooh! That's why!!! light bulb moment the second time round

When she saw Egwene and the other two on their knees among the cauldrons and kettles, she looked surprised for a moment, then walked over and asked, loud enough for anyone to hear, “Have you found anything?”

Also the Semirhage quote already mentioned by Luckers

OK, so i don't have the actual quote, but I'm in LoC in my re-read, and at the end of the chapter where Rand takes the Orgier to shadar logoth then to the Two Rivers, there's a moment when he's looking towards Emond's Field and wondering about Tam and others. When he turns his back on his home and leaves back through the gateway he says it felt like ripping off his arm. Knowing how dark and damaged Rand eventually becomes, that scene really got to me.

• 1 month later...

Archived