• Please log in to reply
326 replies to this topic

#221 Suttree

Suttree
  • Members
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:21 AM

Called it!

Good call Terez. It of course makes the interview quote you provided at least partially relevant to the discussion.

Interview: Nov 14th, 1998
TPOD Signing Report - Matthew Hunter (Paraphrased)

Someone asked how he chose the cover artist, and we got a nice long spiel with some previously unknown information. Jordan and his wife went through bookstores picking out books based on their (if they liked it) cover art and finding out who did the cover. It came down to two artists, Darrell K. Sweet and Michael Whelan. The deciding factor was that Whelan wants the manuscript to read for a year before he will deliver a cover, and they just couldn't wait that long.

They are apparently considering a later reissue of the entire series with different covers, perhaps by Whelan, once it is complete.

"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge, exists without my consent" - Judge Holden

#222 Terez

Terez

Quotemistress

• Members
  • 4,598 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:27 AM

And obviously he cut them a deal since he will have 9 months at most to complete it.

WoT Reference Library // twitter.png@Terez27

I kind of wish the last book was written by Terez. I would probably have to spend weeks looking for a damn ending and then decrypting it, but no doubt it would be perfectly thought out. :wink:

#223 The Fisher King

The Fisher King
  • Members
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:46 AM

Called it!

Awesome. It was his covers on the terrific Sunrunner Saga that turned me on to the amazing Melanie Rawn.

Fish

Edited by The Fisher King, 27 February 2012 - 09:47 AM.

#224 mattmattmattE

mattmattmattE
  • Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:18 AM

And obviously he cut them a deal since he will have 9 months at most to complete it.

I think that might have something to do with A Memory of Light being the final book to one of the three most applauded fantasy series of the last three decades :tongue:

#225 Terez

Terez

Quotemistress

• Members
  • 4,598 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:20 AM

Well, in the world of cover artists, if anyone can compete with that reputation, it's Whelan. He's done the covers for many of the most successful fantasy books of the last few decades. And, with all respect to DKS, his art is near-universally loved.

I kind of wish the last book was written by Terez. I would probably have to spend weeks looking for a damn ending and then decrypting it, but no doubt it would be perfectly thought out. :wink:

#226 The Fisher King

The Fisher King
  • Members
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:28 AM

Well, in the world of cover artists, if anyone can compete with that reputation, it's Whelan. He's done the covers for many of the most successful fantasy books of the last few decades. And, with all respect to DKS, his art is near-universally loved.

Yes. Also, I mentioned all the Sunrunner books he did, but he also did the first and last books in King's Dark Tower series.

Hes just...gifted.

Fish

#227 trench

trench
  • Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:31 AM

I have to wonder if he is feeling a bit daunted. I know the man is an absolute professional and has worked in the business for 40 some odd years, and IMO he is the best fantasy cover artist in the genre, but I don't know if he has ever made a cover for such a well established fan base or had to try to please a fan base as rabid as ours is, not to mention having to sit in DKS's shadow for this book.

Edited by trench, 27 February 2012 - 10:35 AM.

"Bloody thing must have been designed by insane, cross-eyed Trollocs and built from the bones of the damned."

#228 Terez

Terez

Quotemistress

• Members
  • 4,598 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:50 AM

Just imagine how someone else would feel in his place.

#229 unlabled

unlabled
  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:22 PM

I have to wonder if he is feeling a bit daunted. I know the man is an absolute professional and has worked in the business for 40 some odd years, and IMO he is the best fantasy cover artist in the genre, but I don't know if he has ever made a cover for such a well established fan base or had to try to please a fan base as rabid as ours is, not to mention having to sit in DKS's shadow for this book.

I would say doing the art for a number of Stephen King's Dark Tower books qualifies. Perhaps that fan base isn't as rabid, but it certainly is well established.
Posted Image

#230 yoniy0

yoniy0
  • DM - Staff
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:09 PM

Firstly, good going on calling this one. But I'm not so sure regarding this, because when Brandon finished the first draft (Dec20) they could easily have sent it to him, whether or not a deal was finalized (they knew they would need someone to do it for at least two weeks, and as you say, Whelan seems the obvious choice). Certainly, the deal was actually finalized before we heard of it (it had to be, before they announced postponing the release at the latest).
If you rather not use PM, you can always email me to yoniy0 at dragonmount dot com for moderation questions.

you are worse than Hitler! I heard that you eat babies!

#231 Terez

Terez

Quotemistress

• Members
  • 4,598 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:54 PM

Firstly, good going on calling this one. But I'm not so sure regarding this, because when Brandon finished the first draft (Dec20) they could easily have sent it to him, whether or not a deal was finalized (they knew they would need someone to do it for at least two weeks, and as you say, Whelan seems the obvious choice). Certainly, the deal was actually finalized before we heard of it (it had to be, before they announced postponing the release at the latest).

He could have sent the first draft, but the cover has to be in physical production well before the book is actually released, you know. And I don't think Brandon would have sent his first draft. It's not even a real draft, since he deliberately leaves huge chunks that are not good writing to fix up in the second draft. I'm guessing that's what he sent to Whelan, but Jason is saying on Twitter that Whelan will be working with the notes that Brandon gave to DKS for the scene he wanted on the cover, since he doesn't have enough time to read the book. And Whelan always insists on reading the book, so obviously there was a compromise here. And it's possible that they still haven't sent him a draft of the book; Brandon might want to get through at least one Team revision before letting anyone else see it.

#232 Alric

Alric
  • Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:48 PM

I'd be much more interested in whether Whelan has read the other 13 books, rather than if he gets to read aMoL in time. That seems much more important to me. Any idea if he has?

#233 Terez

Terez

Quotemistress

• Members
  • 4,598 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:58 PM

No. But if it makes you feel any better, we don't know if DKS did either.

PS—I suspect that they paid him a bit extra back when they nabbed him for the ebook cover and asked him to read the whole series. But I could be wrong. If they haven't told us by now, they probably never will.

Edited by Terez, 03 March 2012 - 04:00 PM.

#234 Bob T Dwarf

Bob T Dwarf
  • Members
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:20 PM

No. But if it makes you feel any better, we don't know if DKS did either.

PS—I suspect that they paid him a bit extra back when they nabbed him for the ebook cover and asked him to read the whole series. But I could be wrong. If they haven't told us by now, they probably never will.

So, you see, it does come down to marketing after all. Or at least what somebody high-up at Tor thinks Marketing needs to be.

The fact is the cover art is not going to sell the final volume of, as you describe it, "a well established series." We'd take it with nothing but the Black/White Yin/Yang Aes Sedai symbol for cover art.

Somebody at Tor is stuck in second grade. Thinking that every book has to be marketed as though it were the only book. A standalone. When in actual fact this is the final volume of one of the longest series in fantasy history. It will rise or fall on the interest created in the series itself by the content of the previous 13 volumes, not because it's got some whiz-bang cover art.

To delay the release for cover art is idiocy. Plain idiocy.
What I say is, what you believe to be true is not always true. What you think is going to happen is not always going to happen. That has been demonstrated time and again in THE WHEEL OF TIME. You could call those two statements one of the themes of the books. ... If the answer is easy, consider the possibility that you asked the wrong question. - Robert Jordan

#235 Terez

Terez

Quotemistress

• Members
  • 4,598 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:37 PM

LOL. Well, that was predictable. Just keep in mind that not everyone agrees. It's not about marketing to Harriet so much as it is about doing things the right way, clearly. Choosing another artist at this point would have been downright tacky. Choosing Whelan was thematically the only right choice, for many reasons, most especially 1) he was already doing the ebook cover, 2) he was on RJ's original shortlist of two for the cover artist, 3) he is one of the most celebrated cover artists of all time, and 4) they had to do their best to honor DKS's memory, just as they did their best to honor RJ's memory by having the books finished properly.

#236 Bob T Dwarf

Bob T Dwarf
  • Members
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:04 PM

LOL. Well, that was predictable. Just keep in mind that not everyone agrees. It's not about marketing to Harriet so much as it is about doing things the right way, clearly. Choosing another artist at this point would have been downright tacky. Choosing Whelan was thematically the only right choice, for many reasons, most especially 1) he was already doing the ebook cover, 2) he was on RJ's original shortlist of two for the cover artist, 3) he is one of the most celebrated cover artists of all time, and 4) they had to do their best to honor DKS's memory, just as they did their best to honor RJ's memory by having the books finished properly.

Sorry, Terez, but I can't resist.

Daryl K. Sweet's cover art and illustrations are universally loathed. Worldwide. The Foreign publishers insist upon creating their own covers. At extra expense to themselves. That's how universally loathed Sweet's covers are. Honoring his memory properly would be to ask a First Grader to color-up something original with the BIG Crayons.

It's one more weak excuse heaped upon a pile of bad and questionable decisions being made by the people we are supposed to trust to make the book BETTER????
What I say is, what you believe to be true is not always true. What you think is going to happen is not always going to happen. That has been demonstrated time and again in THE WHEEL OF TIME. You could call those two statements one of the themes of the books. ... If the answer is easy, consider the possibility that you asked the wrong question. - Robert Jordan

#237 Master Ablar

Master Ablar
  • DM - Staff
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:19 PM

Sorry, Terez, but I can't resist.

Daryl K. Sweet's cover art and illustrations are universally loathed. Worldwide. The Foreign publishers insist upon creating their own covers. At extra expense to themselves. That's how universally loathed Sweet's covers are. Honoring his memory properly would be to ask a First Grader to color-up something original with the BIG Crayons.

It's one more weak excuse heaped upon a pile of bad and questionable decisions being made by the people we are supposed to trust to make the book BETTER????

What's important is the work and effort he put into those covers, not how well liked they are. That's what honoring his memory means. Whether you like his covers or not is an opinion, even if it is a widespread opinion.

Edited by Master Ablar, 03 March 2012 - 05:20 PM.

I think one of the reasons the Black Tower has become so popular in fandom isn't just that you get to dress in black and set fires with your mind, it's the sense of struggle the Asha'man have. To save the world, they have to embrace the part of themselves that's terrible and destructive. They risk madness to learn how to channel. It's a tremendous sacrifice they make.

#238 yoniy0

yoniy0
  • DM - Staff
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:44 PM

Yes, she didn't say respect his legacy, but his memory.

Well, that was predictable.

See, now I can't resist. Do you think that it's predictability stems from there being an actual argument here? It would've been so funny to read responses here should Tor had decided to release the English version as planned but postpone the American one for the cover art.
If you rather not use PM, you can always email me to yoniy0 at dragonmount dot com for moderation questions.

you are worse than Hitler! I heard that you eat babies!

#239 Suttree

Suttree
  • Members
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:55 PM

One would think given how many times your opinion has shown to be off throughout this thread you might have revised/eased back on your take at this point. How can Team Jordan doing everything possible to ensure this is the best all around book it can be, be considered "bad and questionable" just because a small minority(of an already small sliver of the fan base) can't be patient for the release?

As for the cover art, I know at the time I started this series the cover of EotW was what drew me in. He has done some other good things such as the tPoD cover as well. While DKS's work is not my favorite and has many shortcomings some people love it, "universally loathed" is a fairly big overstatement.

Edited by Suttree, 03 March 2012 - 07:36 PM.

"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge, exists without my consent" - Judge Holden

#240 Terez

Terez

Quotemistress

• Members
  • 4,598 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:27 AM

Yes, she didn't say respect his legacy, but his memory.

Well, that was predictable.

See, now I can't resist. Do you think that it's predictability stems from there being an actual argument here?

No, it was predictable because I have ESP. :rolleyes: The argument was predictable. That doesn't make it a good one. I already said in the post I linked about this in the first place that they probably separated the release date from Whelan specifically to avoid the fanrage from the handful who would be crass enough to insist that they get some other artist who could do it quicker.