326 replies to this topic

#1 Kivam

Kivam
  • Members
  • 9,830 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:09 AM

Commence celebrations . . . now

Posted Image

What would be the benefit of watching a vulture eat the insides of a dead camel?

#2 g o i

g o i
  • Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:21 AM

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
what that is almost a year away. I want it now but yay we know when it comes out
http://dragcave.net/user/g_o_i
please help my dragons in the link above(if you want)
http://andrew-smith.mybrute.com
link above is for my brute since I found it fun
if you can't clean the crime scene then obliterate it
computer: Warning. Warning. Firearms detected.
Computer: Number of weapons found...
Computer: ...
Computer: many

#3 2RiversFan

2RiversFan
  • Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:22 AM

I had to Check it out for myself.

Celebrate? November was longer than I wanted to wait. The announcement doesn't even apologize or ask for understanding by fans who are eagerly and impatiently awaiting it.
Semper Fidelis

#4 Paul Chauvet

Paul Chauvet
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:25 AM

I really don't understand why they feel the need to take so much longer to edit it. Considering when Brandon's announcement was that he was done the first draft (December 2011), then this is over a year for editing (along with printing and other publishing tasks). The last two books were among the best of the series in my opinion and didn't suffer for shorter (though not short) editing times.

Bah - color me disappointed.

#5 mop

mop
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:27 AM

wow that is a long time. At least now we can say they aren't moving it back just for the sake of selling more books near christmas

#6 Misheru

Misheru

We live and breathe words

• Members
  • 11,748 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:32 AM

Mothers milk in a cup!

And thats about all I can say right now without breaking pg-13 rules!

mish_zpsbc1b2c19.jpg

Married to Vos * Aes Sedai of the Green Ajah * Souvra bonded to Brandie and Cloud * Mentor to Cloud and Tress

Winner of Best signature maker 2012 and 2013!

#7 Amberfly

Amberfly
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:34 AM

Hooray! We have a date!

Blood and ashes! It's almost a year away! :mad:

#8 Jak o' the Shadows

Jak o' the Shadows

Son of Battles

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:39 AM

Mothers milk in a cup!

Hehehe totally.

Time to go back and re-read!
There's some delight in ale and wine,
And some in girls with ankles fine,
But my delight, yes, always mine,
Is to dance with Jak o' the Shadows.

#9 Manscher

Manscher
  • Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:39 AM

A whole bloody year to edit? Christ :(

#10 mbuehner

mbuehner
  • Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:48 AM

Thats assuming the year is needed for editing and not for building up the hype train. Its odd that it won't be ready for Christmas though. I'm certainly OK if Harriet wanted the extra time for whatever reason, but if this is some Tor marketing ploy, I'm angry. Got enough issues with Tor after i just read Ardneh's Sword. Ughhh.

#11 Paul Chauvet

Paul Chauvet
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:59 AM

Thats assuming the year is needed for editing and not for building up the hype train. Its odd that it won't be ready for Christmas though. I'm certainly OK if Harriet wanted the extra time for whatever reason, but if this is some Tor marketing ploy, I'm angry. Got enough issues with Tor after i just read Ardneh's Sword. Ughhh.

I can't fathom why they need to hype it that much. Honestly, anyone who is still reading the series will be chomping at the bit to get the last one. If this is a marketing decision not only is it annoying, its inane.

#12 accelerate

accelerate
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:19 PM

Brandon explains the release date:

http://brandonsander...HT-Release-Date

Edited by accelerate, 16 February 2012 - 12:19 PM.

#13 Misheru

Misheru

We live and breathe words

• Members
  • 11,748 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:20 PM

Brandons blog on the subject: http://brandonsander...HT-Release-Date

Edit: Haha just a tad to slow :)

*wanders off mumbling something about bloody buttered onions*

Edited by Misheru Sedai, 16 February 2012 - 12:22 PM.

mish_zpsbc1b2c19.jpg

Married to Vos * Aes Sedai of the Green Ajah * Souvra bonded to Brandie and Cloud * Mentor to Cloud and Tress

Winner of Best signature maker 2012 and 2013!

#14 Sakaea

Sakaea

Gamer 'til I die

• Members
  • 5,972 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:54 PM

Come on you lot. This isn't hype, this is Harriet wanting the last book of her husband's legacy to be as perfect as possible. I for one will gladly wait; the book will be perfect, Harriet will be happy, and we can all enjoy a re-read in the meantime.
Posted Image
Aes Sedai of the Blue Ajah & Far Dareis Mai of the Aiel.

#15 g o i

g o i
  • Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:42 PM

I started a re-read last month and I'm on book 11. so now what book's shall I read.contions to rant

end rant
I jast had to have a rant since I realy wanted to read this book but it does tell us two good things. one we know when it is comming out.
two we know the world won't end in 2012
http://dragcave.net/user/g_o_i
please help my dragons in the link above(if you want)
http://andrew-smith.mybrute.com
link above is for my brute since I found it fun
if you can't clean the crime scene then obliterate it
computer: Warning. Warning. Firearms detected.
Computer: Number of weapons found...
Computer: ...
Computer: many

#16 Hallow

Hallow

The Suzerain of Night

• Members
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:16 PM

Sigh.. That's a depressing bit of news. (I even ventured out of General Discussion to post on it)

I guess I can't complain about it. Whatever it takes to make the book as good as possible. Still disappointing though.
"HAIL THE MARINES!"
- Heavies of the Bonehunters

"I saw in their faces the erosion of her will, and they bore it. They bore it as they did all else. These Malazans, they shame the gods themselves..."
— Aranict

Debates & Discussions Moderator. PM me if you have any questions.

#17 rabbittmaster

rabbittmaster
  • Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:42 PM

Sigh.. That's a depressing bit of news. (I even ventured out of General Discussion to post on it)

I guess I can't complain about it. Whatever it takes to make the book as good as possible. Still disappointing though.

harriet must take us for fools and marks to think we beleive it will take a year to edit, this is tor hypeing the book

#18 The Fisher King

The Fisher King
  • Members
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:58 PM

I posted the following on the DM Homepage before realizing it was posted here as well:

Dear Dragonmount and anyone from Tor (who, disapointingly, dsallowed feedback to this news on their site - what is THAT cowardly act all about???) who may be perusing this;

I have ONE question and one question only for you in response to this news, yet, before I.ask it I simply ask that a read of the comments above mine be performed...the comments where:

Trench says he "can't be too happy" and Elgee refers to being "miffed" and MyKillK ask if this news is an early "April Fool's Joke."

I think I can stop there and still get the jist across. ... Now. My One Question:

Brandon, Harriet, Tom, Tor, Tor.Com, Dragonmout....did ANY of you people have ANY clue how angry many would be when this was released?

That is my question.

Fish

#19 The Fisher King

The Fisher King
  • Members
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:00 PM

Sorry, but your initial instinct is correct. It can not - and will not, here on DM - be argued that it is, disgustingly, ALL about building the hype, marketing and milking.

Sad and despicable.

Fish

#20 Treemaster

Treemaster
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:24 PM

I will never understand the anger over having the release pushed back a paltry couple of months. The extra amount of time makes no difference for those of us waiting for the book. Once the book is published and we've read it, we will have read it -- we will never go back to the position we were in before the release. So, barring death -- and a dead person obviously wouldn't care about not being able to read the book anyway -- the delay cannot possibly make any difference to our enjoyment of the book. On the other hand, the extra amount of time may (not necessarily will, but may) make a huge difference in the quality of the final book.

Those who think the extra time is only for purposes of "hype" -- think about how it couuld possibly increase the "hype" or sales of the book to delay two months. The book is being delayed until after christmas, and so, if the change in date makes any difference at all (which I doubt), it could only reduce the number of sales. I'm sure Tor would like to publish it as soon as possible, but is being overriden by the wishes of Harriet in this instance.

Writing is incredibly hard, and for most writers revision is the most important part of producing quality work. Patrick Rothfuss, for example, spent four years revising the second part of his own trilogy. And the results of that effort are obvious: his prose is clean and sparkling, and probably better than I've seen in any other fantasy novel or recent mainstream fiction, for that matter. Brandon's position is even harder in that he is trying to write someone else's story and to do it right.

In short, there's no real downside to waiting a couple of extra months, and plenty of potential upside. Honestly, those demanding that the book come out RIGHT NOW sound like spoiled children.

Edited by Treemaster, 16 February 2012 - 03:26 PM.