• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Red2111

Red2111

DM's Red Headed Step Child

• DM - Staff
  • 14,955 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:44 PM

there was a thread on this, but its been lost so far as i can tell, so i made a new topic for it. feel free to merge this if i overlooked the thread :biggrin:

heres a test to help tell you where you stand politically. http://politicalcompass.org/test

for me i got

Economic Left/Right: 0.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

I'm in the purple, which makes me a fiscal conservative and social libertarian.

Posted Image

siggies by: Ama, Mashi, Frog, Ithi, and Boopsy <3 u all

#2 trench

trench
  • Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:10 PM

I came in at

Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.13

I never would have thought I would have come in so far left on the economy. I always new I was on the left, but I am way out in left field.
"Bloody thing must have been designed by insane, cross-eyed Trollocs and built from the bones of the damned."

#3 Hallow

Hallow

The Suzerain of Night

• Members
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:51 PM

I believe this has been posted here before.

As for results I ended up with:

Economic Left/Right: -7.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.13

Essentially I'm close to the bottom left.
"HAIL THE MARINES!"
- Heavies of the Bonehunters

"I saw in their faces the erosion of her will, and they bore it. They bore it as they did all else. These Malazans, they shame the gods themselves..."
— Aranict

Debates & Discussions Moderator. PM me if you have any questions.

#4 Ishmael Forsaken

Ishmael Forsaken

Silly Sausage

• Banned
  • 10,013 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:58 PM

Economic Left/Right: 6.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.38

I knew this already. :tongue:

EmpyMafia_zpse1720b82.jpg

Yellow Warder to Luciena ** Brother to WildTaltos

#5 Graendals favourite

Graendals favourite
  • DM - Staff
  • 4,456 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:23 PM

Wow, the questions must have changed a bit, I've popped from round 0 to -3 on the economic scale. The other unchanged.
Economic Left/Right: -3.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.21
Nobody has ever measured,
even poets,
how much a heart can hold.
---Zelda Fitzgerald

#6 Majsju

Majsju
  • Members
  • 9,963 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:32 PM

Economic Left/Right: -7.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.21

Says more about how ridicilous this test is, than it does about my political views. But, since it is a test based on US politics, I am happier the more bottom left I get.
Posted Image

#7 Ryrin

Ryrin

Captain General

• Members
  • 10,585 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:48 PM

Economic Left/Right: -1.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.33

Posted Image

#8 chuckievi

chuckievi

Debates & Discussions Mod

• Members
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:50 PM

Economic Left/Right: -1.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.23

Puts me pretty close to the center which is about what I was expecting. The problem with this test is there is no "don't care" option, which forced me to choose agree/disagree on some things that I was ambivalent about.

#9 Majsju

Majsju
  • Members
  • 9,963 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:42 PM

Economic Left/Right: -1.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.23

Puts me pretty close to the center which is about what I was expecting. The problem with this test is there is no "don't care" option, which forced me to choose agree/disagree on some things that I was ambivalent about.

Come on, a test you can rush through in a few minutes obvioulsy is not designed to look into nuances. To get some kind of seriousness, you need a test with at least 100 questions, preferably quite a bit more. And instead of just these four options, there should be two numeric scales, one from agree to disagree, and one measuring the importance you give the issue.
Posted Image

#10 SinisterDeath

SinisterDeath
  • DM - Staff
  • 15,621 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:09 PM

Economic Left/Right: -5.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.28

I think everytime I take this test, the result varies.. even on a weekly basis.

But theres always the conundrum. What do I truelly believe, vs what do I want my score to come out as knowing which answers will obtain that goal?

Eitherway, I'm still getting closer to gandhi. :P
But yea, the test isn't exactly accurate either.

Just because I'm Pro-Guns, doesn't mean I don't want gun-control, nor do I see it as a liberal vs a conservative issue.
I support hunters, and you can't do that without guns. Banning it? That would just kill many industries in the U.S, not to mention freaking tourism. (States i live in, are known for having hunters come across the country/World to go hunting!) Ban guns? Won't be possible. And most people think guns = hand guns. ANd you know what? If you want to commit a real crime? A handgun is for idiots.
Shotty all the way. :P

Yet other issues, Smoking? Drugs? Alchohal? I have stances on those that go contrary to either liberal or conservatives.
I think 'smoking' in public places like resturants, shoudl be left up to purely the restruant/bar/ect owner, and the not the government. They can, for example, require public venues such as that, to require a certain amount of 'ventalation' to totally negate the second hand smoke issue nearly in its entirity. But? They don't give them that possible work around. no one bothered. Those anti-smoking laws got pushed through without anyone actually being aware of it. Let alone knowing what 'prop 2398234 dash A section B' Actually meant, until nearly after the fact. And even then? Voting for that, isn't like presidential votes where you can actually 'take' time off to vote. Those were put purposesly during the standard work our to actually prevent people from voting on it.

Pot? Prostitution? Legalize, Taxize, and Regulize the hell out of it.
Heroine/Cocain/Meth? Just as illegal.
Alcohal? Why isn't this as taxed as smoking is?
Why isn't anyone in the government, health industries, trying to tax the hell out of alchohal for all the social and medical problems it causes? /rants

So yea, like I say, some issues people see as left/right, I don't see as being either. smoking for example, is either a buisness right over government over-regulation issue, and why can't a liberal agree with a buisness owner on something? :P

gallery_6827_296_97964.jpg

#11 Hallow

Hallow

The Suzerain of Night

• Members
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:38 AM

Just because I'm Pro-Guns, doesn't mean I don't want gun-control, nor do I see it as a liberal vs a conservative issue.
I support hunters, and you can't do that without guns. Banning it? That would just kill many industries in the U.S, not to mention freaking tourism. (States i live in, are known for having hunters come across the country/World to go hunting!) Ban guns? Won't be possible. And most people think guns = hand guns. ANd you know what? If you want to commit a real crime? A handgun is for idiots.
Shotty all the way. :P

Yet other issues, Smoking? Drugs? Alchohal? I have stances on those that go contrary to either liberal or conservatives.
I think 'smoking' in public places like resturants, shoudl be left up to purely the restruant/bar/ect owner, and the not the government. They can, for example, require public venues such as that, to require a certain amount of 'ventalation' to totally negate the second hand smoke issue nearly in its entirity. But? They don't give them that possible work around. no one bothered. Those anti-smoking laws got pushed through without anyone actually being aware of it. Let alone knowing what 'prop 2398234 dash A section B' Actually meant, until nearly after the fact. And even then? Voting for that, isn't like presidential votes where you can actually 'take' time off to vote. Those were put purposesly during the standard work our to actually prevent people from voting on it.

Pot? Prostitution? Legalize, Taxize, and Regulize the hell out of it.
Heroine/Cocain/Meth? Just as illegal.
Alcohal? Why isn't this as taxed as smoking is?
Why isn't anyone in the government, health industries, trying to tax the hell out of alchohal for all the social and medical problems it causes? /rants

So yea, like I say, some issues people see as left/right, I don't see as being either. smoking for example, is either a buisness right over government over-regulation issue, and why can't a liberal agree with a buisness owner on something? :P

I agree with almost that entire post apart from the guns part. But that's primarily because I'm vehemently against any sort of hunting for sport.
"HAIL THE MARINES!"

"I saw in their faces the erosion of her will, and they bore it. They bore it as they did all else. These Malazans, they shame the gods themselves..."
— Aranict

#12 SinisterDeath

SinisterDeath
  • DM - Staff
  • 15,621 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:44 AM

-snip-

I agree with almost that entire post apart from the guns part. But that's primarily because I'm vehemently against any sort of hunting for sport.

Well, for me, I hunt for the food, not for the pelt/trophy. I honestly hate when people hunt, and take the head and leave the rest behind, its sickening. But, thats all 'preference'.

#13 Kivam

Kivam
  • Members
  • 9,839 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:17 AM

About where I expected

Economic Left/Right:2.18
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.33

Posted Image

What would be the benefit of watching a vulture eat the insides of a dead camel?

#14 WWWwombat

WWWwombat

Maréchal Général des Camps et Armées du Village

• Members
  • 14,855 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:25 AM

Economic Left/Right: -4.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51

More economically left than I remembered.
Posted Image

#15 SamVimes

SamVimes
  • Members
  • 8,867 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:18 AM

Economic Left/Right: 7.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 3.18

Hmm.... I swng leftward Socially but to the right Economically. Not a fan of
some of those questions though. The way they were worded was odd.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thomas Jefferson:

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

#16 Hallow

Hallow

The Suzerain of Night

• Members
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:40 PM

-snip-

Well, for me, I hunt for the food, not for the pelt/trophy. I honestly hate when people hunt, and take the head and leave the rest behind, its sickening. But, thats all 'preference'.

You're still hunting because it's something you find entertaining. I won't post what I think of that as I don't want to insult you (nor derail this thread). :tongue:
"HAIL THE MARINES!"

— Aranict

#17 SinisterDeath

SinisterDeath
  • DM - Staff
  • 15,621 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:59 PM

-snip-

You're still hunting because it's something you find entertaining. I won't post what I think of that as I don't want to insult you (nor derail this thread). :tongue:

Entertainment? No, not at all. Most boring thing in the world, imo. Its much akin to fishing imo. Food.

I can't say a 'Farmer' Farms, becuase they find it 'entertaining'; And while I haven't been hunting very much in the last few years. (Work, work, work...) I have, on many occasions, passed up the 'easy thrill' so to speak, of going after the 'easy target', because I know theres no point to killing a 'bambi', or a small scraggly doe.

Hell, I saw a doe make it past I dont' know how many hunters, and practically rest 4 feet from me. Didn't shoot it. (It didn't have much meat on it, (And it wasn't a 'it wasn't a 30 point buck' thing either)
If you want me to go towards the 'sport' angle, it, there was no sport in it. It stood no chance. And it already avoided, outran, ect every other hunter in the area, and damned near about to collapse from the effort. On the other side, it was practically a fawn, barely a doe; killing it, probably would have hurt the deer popuatlion in a bad way, and it most likely didn't have alot of good meat on it either.

On the conservationist side, if we don't have hunters, then theres going to be 'nothing' around to keep deer populations in check. They have no natural predators now that wolves, coyotes, ect pretty much no longer exist in North America. (There their, but the numbers are ridiculously low) If something doesn't help keep the populations in check, Deer population will skyrocket, and they will starve to death. And its a biological thing like with rabbits. They breed fast, because predators were known for picking off solid percentages off of there total populations, they had to breed more, faster to keep a 'steady' population. Same goes for the predators, to many of those, deer get to scarce, they starve. Natures a fickle thing, even without human intervention.

I'd rather me Eating the deer, than the meat being thrown away, and the pelt being hung on a wall as a trophy.

*Edit*
I'll keep off this tangent to keep the thread OT, unless anyone else wants to make a gun control/hunting morality type thread.

Edited by SinisterDeath, 17 February 2012 - 07:00 PM.

#18 Aiyen kin Leary

Aiyen kin Leary
  • Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:57 PM

The test was so vague I couldn't answer a lot of the questions. "Should economic globalization serve the interests of humanity rather than corporations?" What does that mean? Nearly anyone (I would hope!) would support humanity over corporations when they come into conflict, but when they are or are not in conflict is a huge political question in itself. Liberals often look at corporate profits and assume they arise from exploitation. Some might call for increased taxation and/or regulation of companies in the hope of transfering wealth from coporate upper echelons to the masses. Conservatives often look at the same profits and are glad that the companies are being incentivized to hire workers, to produce goods or services, to contribute to human well-being. Some might call for reduced taxation and/or regulation in the hope of protecting the companies' ability to provide employment for their workers and products for all. Both are seeking the interests of humanity, they often disagree more over tactics than goals. How can I answer the question to reflect a desire to promote peoples' standard of living by whatever means work, rather than by only using one set of tactics? That doesn't exactly count as left or right.

Interesting thread though. :biggrin:
"Al dival, al kiserai, al mashi! Tai'daishar! Carai an manshimaya Tylin. Carai an manshimaya Nalesean. Carai an manshimaya ayend'an!"-The Prince of the Ravens.

#19 Red2111

Red2111

DM's Red Headed Step Child

• DM - Staff
  • 14,955 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:46 AM

if anyone can provide links to other tests i'd love to take them :happy:

as for hunting, what i always enjoyed was stalking the deer to see how close i could get before it noticed me; relaly though, the only shooting i did was with a camera or shooting cans/ect with a pellet gun (and the occasional squirrel cause they woudln't leave my christmas lights and deck furnature alone)

Edited by Red2111, 24 February 2012 - 06:52 AM.

Posted Image

siggies by: Ama, Mashi, Frog, Ithi, and Boopsy <3 u all