Photo

Week 5: Mat vs. Moridin

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
72 replies to this topic

Poll: Week 5: Mat vs. Moridin (168 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Voted Mat (113 votes [67.26%])

Percentage of vote: 67.26%

2. Moridin (55 votes [32.74%])

Percentage of vote: 32.74%

Vote

#61 BelRobin

BelRobin
  • Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:51 AM

this is my comparrison to this match.
i love wolverine (mat) but if you put him in a fight against galactus (moridin) he is just a dustmite.

#62 Benaire2

Benaire2
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:42 AM

Lies Wolverine would win cause he is the best there is plus he has the dark one's luck. Power forged claws and highly resistant to compulsion and the most highly trained warrior in the wheel of Marvel.

#63 Entreri

Entreri
  • Members
  • 912 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:00 AM

I already voted Moridin despite Mat being my favourite character. But what Enteri just said made me think. Wasn't the wish something to do with Aes Sedai or channelling? Either way I'd say the area is pretty grey as to whether it repels both powers. Also I doubt it would make him immune to Balefire.

TSR Ch. 24
Well, I want a way to be free of Aes Sedai and the Power, and I want to be away from you and back to Rhuidean, if you will not answer me. Open up a door, and let me —"

Entreri often talks in absolutes even when he can not be certain. The verdict on stopping the TP is still out.

As for Balefire it is a direct flow so I see no reason why the foxhead shouldn't stop it.

And some people need everything spelled out in black and white by the authors.

#64 Benaire2

Benaire2
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:27 AM

Well what he says is true though there is no proof what so ever that the medallion wont stop the TP and what you are saying is solely based on your opinion, but you tell it as if its the absolute truth. Mostly these forums debate and often provide quotes to back up their theories or reasoning behind them.

I voted that Mat would win and I provided my reasons.
If someone provides me with solid proof that the TP would ignore Mat's protection then I would retract my vote as there would be almost no chance of victory. As far as I know there isnt any real proof.

#65 Elgee

Elgee

Dragonmount's Cuddly Elaida

• DM - Staff
  • 30,903 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:52 AM

to my mind... its based on a simple question... does mat's medallion block the true power? if yes, mat, easy win... if no, moridin easy win... and, surprise surprise, we have no way to tell which is the case...

Yup. That was the crux for me too, and no way to write it and avoid answering the question, so I flipped a coin. :)

Hahaha!

Brilliant write up, Luckers :biggrin:

ElgeeAmmy.jpg

I do get a little bit slightly hissy when someone cracks the spine on a new book instead of lovingly folding down every page.
Like "Jesus in the market overturning tables" little bit slightly hissy.

#66 XXX47

XXX47
  • Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:14 AM

Not sure why it matters if the medallion stops the TP or not. As others have said Lanfear managed to hit Alivia with lightning inspits of being surprised with a similar device and she was fighting another channeler and she wanted to kill Rand as her primiary objective. If Lanfear can figire it out when coming under OP bombardment from another channeler stronger than her due to the angreal, then Moridin for sure can figure it out against a non channeler like Mat.

BTW if I was a channler with even a bit of common sense..I would not get close to a combatant who cannot channel during a fight. I would use long range OP weaves.

Edited by XXX47, 18 February 2012 - 08:15 AM.

#67 g o i

g o i
  • Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:58 AM

ture but mordin is a bad guy and no ONE ON THE DO side has a bit of common sense
http://dragcave.net/user/g_o_i
please help my dragons in the link above(if you want)
http://andrew-smith.mybrute.com
link above is for my brute since I found it fun
if you can't clean the crime scene then obliterate it
computer: Warning. Warning. Firearms detected.
Computer: Number of weapons found...
Computer: ...
Computer: many

#68 Benaire2

Benaire2
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:20 AM

Not sure why it matters if the medallion stops the TP or not. As others have said Lanfear managed to hit Alivia with lightning inspits of being surprised with a similar device and she was fighting another channeler and she wanted to kill Rand as her primiary objective. If Lanfear can figire it out when coming under OP bombardment from another channeler stronger than her due to the angreal, then Moridin for sure can figure it out against a non channeler like Mat.

BTW if I was a channler with even a bit of common sense..I would not get close to a combatant who cannot channel during a fight. I would use long range OP weaves.

Well that is you and you seem to lack overwhelming arrogants of being one of the strongest channelers known to live. You also probably lack the desire to monologue and last of all you are also most likely not insane like moridin too.

#69 Suttree

Suttree
  • Members
  • 10,587 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:25 AM

Well what he says is true though there is no proof what so ever that the medallion wont stop the TP and what you are saying is solely based on your opinion, but you tell it as if its the absolute truth. Mostly these forums debate and often provide quotes to back up their theories or reasoning behind them.

Trust me, in this case that is asking way too much.

Balefire sort of breaks the rules doesn't it? I know Perrin calls it 'just a weave' and gains badass points for stopping it, but it doesn't just destroy things it's the CTRL+Z of WoT. Presumably if you hit the foxhead with a powerful enough blast it would be able to undo the medallions power. Although I guess the finns have strange knowledge.

Well the foxhead causes the weaves to unravel before they can touch the wearer correct? It is an interesting question.

Edited by Suttree, 18 February 2012 - 10:34 AM.

Waves are the ultimate illusion. They come out of nowhere, instantaneously materialize, and just as quickly they break and vanish. Chasing after such fleeting mirages is a complete wast of time. That is what I choose to do with my life." - Miki Dora

#70 Turin Turambar

Turin Turambar

DAGNIR GLARUNGA

• Members
  • 17,743 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:27 AM

Luckers stated that Lanfear had never seen a Ter'angreal capable of breaking a web. But didn't Rand state that as LTT he had worn one of the original male versions of the paralis-net. That would have been AoL or at least War of Power right?

Main point is XXX47 has it right in a power vs. regular joe fight distance is life. Moridin move should have been to lure Mat into a building and then gateway out and bring the building down on Mat's hat. Then it is moridin in a walk.

side question. If Mat were inside a building and someone decided to Balefire the entire building would it end up with just Mat standing alone where the building used to be?

Posted Image

M'Hael Emeritus-BTSG Double Bonded to Ithillian

#71 Suttree

Suttree
  • Members
  • 10,587 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:36 AM

Luckers stated that Lanfear had never seen a Ter'angreal capable of breaking a web. But didn't Rand state that as LTT he had worn one of the original male versions of the paralis-net. That would have been AoL or at least War of Power right?

Paralis-net's can be made up of different items, they are not identical. This particular ter'angreal was thought to be made during the breaking.
Waves are the ultimate illusion. They come out of nowhere, instantaneously materialize, and just as quickly they break and vanish. Chasing after such fleeting mirages is a complete wast of time. That is what I choose to do with my life." - Miki Dora

#72 Revim

Revim
  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:59 PM

Well the foxhead causes the weaves to unravel before they can touch the wearer correct? It is an interesting question.

Point well made. It's sort of a chicken/egg argument as to which is more powerful as well, putting Mat back into the place of the Dark One's Eyes.

Admittedly that almost without fail works in his favour, but I don't think the battle would be as decided as the voting.

#73 Dwynwen

Dwynwen
  • Administrators
  • 6,737 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:01 PM

Voting is now over, and the winner is...

Mat!
White Ajah Aes Sedai...Bonded to BenT-Gaidin...Sis of Nia, MJF, and Mighte...Mentor of Many