Photo

Week 4: Moridin vs. Nynaeve

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
45 replies to this topic

Poll: Week 4: Moridin vs. Nynaeve (179 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Moridin (118 votes [65.92%])

Percentage of vote: 65.92%

2. Voted Nynaeve (61 votes [34.08%])

Percentage of vote: 34.08%

Vote

#1 Dwynwen

Dwynwen
  • Administrators
  • 6,735 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:29 PM

Posted Image

Write-up by: Despothera

The Contestants

Ishamael/Moridin
Race: Human
Weapon: the One Power
Special: Age of Legends knowledge

Nynaeve al’Meara
Race: Human
Weapon: the One Power
Special: Set of ter'angreal jewelry that bestows awesome effects

The Breakdown

Advantages
Moridin: unequaled in strength and skill using saidin, can use the True Power
Nynaeve: immense strength in the One Power, indomitable will, quick learner

Disadvantages
Moridin: tendency to monologue, used to others doing his dirty work for him
Nynaeve: has the self-control of a two-year-old, recklessness

How we think the fight will go:

Nynaeve tugged at her braid, peering around her nervously. She eyed the grisly scene around her, and she fought furiously to keep herself from breaking down. She had arrived at Tarwin's Gap moments before, and she had felt a sinking feeling in her stomach the second she stepped through the gateway. She had come too late.

She continued her search, trying to feel out with her bond to locate her husband Lan. Her connection to Lan had suddenly gotten...fuzzy, kind of detached...soon after one of her latest fights with another Forsaken. Even now, she felt like she was only holding onto a shadow of what once was. The bond she shared with Lan had always been an ecstasy for Nynaeve to experience. It was so much more exquisite because she knew what she had gone through in order to obtain it.

And yet now, she knew not what to think. She wasn't even sure Lan was still alive, but if Nynaeve wasn't able to find him on the battlefield she would find something that would help her find out what happened to her husband.

She searched for any wounded Malkieri that were still alive and then scanned the area with her ter'angreal ring that detected the use of saidin and saidar. Strangely, she felt the faint presence of saidar throughout the area, yet saw no real signs of any Dreadlords that had been used in the battle. Instead the Shadow had chosen to bury her beloved Lan and the army she had marshalled for him with a teething mass of Trollocs and Myrddraal.

Surveying the field, she felt some small amount of satisfaction at seeing how many Shadowspawn the Malkieri army had taken down with them. She strode through an ocean of dead Shadowspawn, in many cases configured in large, twisting piles around just a few Malkieri.

Suddenly, Nynaeve spun around, hearing a faint groan from somewhere behind her. She sprinted ahead to where she heard the sound, and was soon searching delicately with the Source, finding out which body on the ground might belong to a survivor. As she struggled to push corpses off a pile, she jumped back with a gasp when she saw who had groaned. It was her Lan!

He looked to be in really rough shape, face bloodied and on the brink of consciousness. Nynaeve delved to see his condition, then bit her lip as she realized how close to death Lan was. She performed her Healing Weave, then set it upon Lan, but wasn't able to get a response from his body. The weave still required a small amount of strength from the target, and Lan didn't seem able to give it.

Nynaeve cradled Lan's head in her arms and began moaning softly, not ready to let go of the chance that she could heal Lan. Trying to somehow impart some of her strength to Lan, she then gathered as much saidar as she could hold, and once again wove the complex Healing weave. Finally feeling the weave truly take hold and mend Lan's wounds, she then held his face in her hands as he blinked back at her, awareness of the situation returning to his face. As his eyes found Nynaeve once again, they suddenly narrowed as his face inexplicably turned to one of disdain and anger.

"You!" the word flung out of Lan's mouth in a cold accusing tone. "You didn't come. You didn't come to save me. You were too late! All my men, all dead because of you! How could you lay your filthy hands on me after betraying me so!" Lan twisted from her grasp as he spat out his words in a contempt-filled accusatory tone. Nynaeve stood away from him, shocked and unable to respond to Lan's tone. All the hard angles of her husband's face were now contorted in a rictus of hateful fury towards Nynaeve, and she felt her eyes begin to tear up.

"You should have just left me to die, woman. Better that, than have to look upon your face one more time! Look at you now. Crying. So weak. Broken. You disgust me, Nynaeve. Life with you at my side isn't worth living at all!" And with that, Lan pulled his sword from his sheath and ran himself through, drawing his sword up high into his chest up near his heart.

"NOOOOO! Lan! No, no, no, no, Lan, what did you do?! What did you do?!?!?!" Nynaeve cried out hysterically, falling down on her knees right after Lan crumpled to the ground, and sobbing uncontrollably, she crawled towards Lan's form and began to put her arms around Lan. She knew after Healing such a grievous wound moments before that she would never be able to Heal this wound Lan had just given himself. Nynaeve moaned in agony, wondering what had possessed her husband to say and do the things he had moments before. Still reeling from it all, Nynaeve suddenly realized she heard the faint laughter of a man some distance behind her.

She turned her head sullenly, bloodshot eyes strained with the tinge of misery, and considered the man standing before her. He stood as tall as Rand, and with the same kind of broad shoulders. He had dark hair and eyes, however, and laughed with a deep voice, his jaw jutting out imposingly. She knew not who he was, but she instantly despised him for laughing during the moment of her greatest loss.

Moridin continued to chuckle, enjoying the reaction the young female channeler was having to the illusion he had created. Letting his laugh die out slowly, he dismissed the complex weave of Spirit that he had set upon Nynaeve. After realizing Rand wouldn't be returning to his chambers in the Black Tower soon, Moridin had Traveled to Tarwin's Gap, wanting to see if he could arrive before Lan fell in battle. Feeling he might have had a chance to use Rand's mentor against him, Moridin had arrived but had been unable to locate the uncrowned king of Malkier.

Not wanting to make the trip a complete waste, he had rightly guessed that Lan's little Aes Sedai wife would visit the scene soon, and Moridin had prepared the illusion weave quickly. He watched with a faint smile on his lips as Nynaeve looked back down, only where Lan had lain moments before bleeding out on her, now nothing stood in her arms. Her shock made it easy for Moridin to slide a shield into place on her, cutting her off from the Source for the moment.

"If you're wondering who I am, you may call me Moridin. I apologize for the theatrics, but I knew I couldn't pass up such a golden opportunity. I have heard much about you, about your apparent...success...in dealing with other Chosen. I suppose I should thank you, really, for taking care of some of that fickle, short-sighted bunch. All grappling for position at all times, when they don't realize ranking and positioning would mean nothing once I helped the Dark One destroy the Pattern."

Nynaeve's anger had blossomed on her face in quick terrible bursts, now with her fuming and skin burning on her face like it was on fire. Blinking away tears of rage, she composed herself enough to growl at Moridin through clenched teeth, "I will make you sorry, Moridin, for ever making light of my suffering. I will make you very sorry indeed."

Moridin suddenly felt a faint tingling on his skin, all the indication he would get that a woman was channeling nearby. But how? he thought briefly before deducing that she likely contained a Well on her somewhere. Reacting with lightning quick precision, he shot out with simple flows of Spirit, cutting her weaves before they could reach him.

Moridin was surprised a second time, after realizing just how hard he would have to work to dismiss all of her weaves. She unleashed offensive weaves at him in a flurry of rage and emotion, and he felt briefly that he could understand how she might have defeated other Chosen. She could hold and use immense amounts of the One Power, and even seemed to be able to weave and construct her weaves rather efficiently, if not artistically.

The attack abated for just a moment, and Moridin waited for the tell-tale tingling that would warn him when Nynaeve was attacking again. Nynaeve stood immobile, but as Moridin stood watching her she all of a sudden raised her arms, and a wrist-thick white-hot bar of light shot out from in between her outstretched hands. The woman knew how to invert her weaves! Moridin did not wait to ponder on the situation, having to dodge to the side as balefire burned a hole in the air directly above him.

Rolling up into a crouch, Moridin quickly wove a few offensive spells of his own, sending them towards the brat of an Aes Sedai. He watched in shock again as the weaves simply...unraveled once they touched Nynaeve. Moridin turned and sprinted away again, this time clearing his head to figure out how he would get past Nynaeve's defenses. Moridin supposed she carried some kind of ter'angreal which nullified any weaves that were directed Nynaeve's way.

Fortunately, Moridin knew a plethora of attacks that could be devastating without even having to target anyone.

Forming a complex weave of Earth, Fire, and Air, Moridin unleashed his weave, which surrounded Nynaeve and set small globules of lightning to dance about and lash about with great bolts of electricity.

Bracing herself against the incoming bolts of lightning, Nynaeve thought quickly. Summoning a quick flow of Water, she doused herself head to toe until she was dripping wet. The lightning bolts struck her skin and were instantly conducted towards the ground through the water on her skin. The sheer multitude of lightning bolts made her entire body seize up, and she was unable to continue any assault on her opponent. Whoever he was, he seemed to be an expert in handling the Source, and the complexity of his weaves told Nynaeve she was once again fighting another Forsaken.

As she began to recover feeling in her muscles after the lightning attack had ended, she had only a moment's notice as a small uprooted tree headed directly her way. Using her bracelet ter'angreal, she gave herself harder-than-steel armor over the entirety of her skin, and was able to ball up and let the tree bounce off her without causing any harm. The Forsaken in front of her frowned for a moment, obviously not used to seeing his attacks diverted so easily.

Nynaeve's ring warned her of channeling coming from Moridin, and Nynaeve began to lash out wildly with flows of Spirit, trying to cut any dangerous weaves headed her way. Not wanting to gamble with the chance of not cutting every weave she would need to, Nynaeve wove a simple but powerful weave that Elayne had showed her, learned from watching the Sea Folk Windfinders channel. The weave of Water and Air created a thick fog around the area, and Nynaeve slunk off to gain a better advantage.

Walking as quietly as she could, she doubled back on her trail a couple of times, seeing if she could get behind Moridin. He was now standing still, and a sudden gust of wind picked up where he was standing, beginning to break the fog up. Nynaeve snuck behind him, and, inverting the weaves, tried her best to create a weave similar to the one Moridin had used against her, creating a much simpler and rudimentary ball of lightning and sending it Moridin's way. The weave struck home before Moridin could begin preparing any defense, and bolts of lightning struck out at him from multiple directions.

Nynaeve was even able to see electricity lancing from one point on his body just to go back into the body somewhere else, and the smell of burnt flesh filled the air. Moridin's animalistic bellow filled the air, and before Nynaeve could begin to think of constructing any other weaves, he had ripped her weave to shreads with blades of Spirit, each tendril snapping back into Nynaeve and causing her to shudder. Moridin was then glaring at Nynaeve with a look so filled with hate, fury, and loathing, that Nynave actually floundered somewhat as she began crafting new, more powerful weaves. Although Nynaeve's ring was no longer sensing any saidar or saidin being channeled, something still seemed to be exuding off Moridin. Right around him light itself seemed to be drawn into Moridin, and the area grew slightly darker.

Before Nynaeve could blink, something came in and abruptly seemed to cut something deep within her. Nynaeve swooned, and barely kept consciousness as her world reeled. At first Nynaeve thought Moridin had shielded her again, but then Nynaeve realized with a horrified look on her face that she couldn't sense saidar at all! The man had stilled her!

Moridin exhaled deeply, trying his best to keep his control as he channeled the True Power. Pain flared up around his whole body, and the smell of his own charred flesh filled his nostrils. He grimaced as several levels of shock seemed to cross Nynaeve's features.

"I suppose I should congratulate you. You're one of the few people left that Rand al'Thor still completely trusts and relies on. I was planning on using you against him, to direct him where I wanted during the Last Battle. Compulsion isn't usually my specialty, but I can find practical uses for it often enough. Now, however, after injuring me so, I am forced to remove your thread from the Pattern. Just know that I will search and hunt for your husband until I find him and make sure he suffers twice enough for the both of you."

Gathering up an elevated surge of the True Power, Moridin shot out a stream of balefire at Nynaeve as a tear formed on her cheek. She disappeared in a heartbeat, and moments later all the burnt skin and wounds on Moridin's person disappeared. He grunted and shook his head again, then opened a gateway back to Shayol Ghul.

Predicted Winner: Moridin

You have until Saturday, February 11th at 9:00 p.m. PST to vote.
White Ajah Aes Sedai...Bonded to BenT-Gaidin...Sis of Nia, MJF, and Mighte...Mentor of Many

#2 Tyzack

Tyzack

Purity Of Essence

• DM - Staff
  • 4,271 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:34 AM

I'm voting for Nyn to set up Nyn vs. Lan in the championship.

Fleigt heim, ihr Raben!

Mandrake, in the name of her majesty and the continental congress, get over here and feed me this belt!

"If you are losing faith in human nature, go out and watch a marathon"
-Kathrine Switzer

"Bet on it!"

-President Barrak Obama 

#3 Duskfire

Duskfire
  • Members
  • 774 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:53 AM

Obviously its just favourtism here because Moridin would destroy Nynaeve. If Logain didnt have a chance, the wisdom doesnt either.

#4 Omega

Omega
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:09 AM

Agreed. I like Nyn, but methinks Mordin would throw her around like a rag doll, even if she can defeat Moggy. He has the true power, and a strength well in excess of her own

EDIT: Tyzack, Mat is already on the fast track to win so far, (which I believe he can) so even if you vote for her, Lan may not see the finals :P.

Edited by Omega, 06 February 2012 - 06:13 AM.

#5 Tyzack

Tyzack

Purity Of Essence

• DM - Staff
  • 4,271 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:13 AM

Agreed. I like Nyn, but methinks Mordin would throw her around like a rag doll, even if she can defeat Moggy. He has the true power, and a strength well in excess of her own

He doesn't have a braid, or wear good two rivers wool.

Fleigt heim, ihr Raben!

Mandrake, in the name of her majesty and the continental congress, get over here and feed me this belt!

"If you are losing faith in human nature, go out and watch a marathon"
-Kathrine Switzer

"Bet on it!"

-President Barrak Obama 

#6 Omega

Omega
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:16 AM

He doesn't have a braid, or wear good two rivers wool.

Very true, but he does have monologue power, and black flecks in his eyes :O Nyn might get so angered listening to him drone on that she pulls the braid out of her head and bleeds to death

Edited by Omega, 06 February 2012 - 06:20 AM.

#7 Corvinus

Corvinus
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:42 AM

I'm voting for Nyn to set up Nyn vs. Lan in the championship.

That's something I don't want to see, so I voted for Moridin. Besides I think Mat will win the other one, but I could be wrong. Now heading over to other Mat vs. Lan thread.

#8 78WARLOCK

78WARLOCK
  • Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:57 AM

I think Nynaeve in an upset. No paticular reasoning, she has said she'll do anything,see comments after taking her test to be raised about balefire,to help people and defeat the dark one.She'd use balefire in this fight and I think it would come as a suprise to Moridin that this "child Aes Sedai", even knows this weave.
"Tia avende alantin"

#9 Turin Turambar

Turin Turambar

DAGNIR GLARUNGA

• Members
  • 17,300 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:57 AM

Thork, your comment led me to an interesting thought and then a question. Has it been shown that anyone could "sever" a weave of Balefire? It should be possible as it is just another weave of the power but Every channelers instinct when confronted with Balefire is to flee like it is unstoppable. If it can not be stopped than anyone that can weave it has at least a "puncher's chance" against ANY other channeler.

I will still pick Moridin as the favourite but it could be either way.

Posted Image

M'Hael Emeritus-BTSG Double Bonded to Ithillian

#10 Duskfire

Duskfire
  • Members
  • 774 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:08 AM

I think Nynaeve in an upset. No paticular reasoning, she has said she'll do anything,see comments after taking her test to be raised about balefire,to help people and defeat the dark one.She'd use balefire in this fight and I think it would come as a suprise to Moridin that this "child Aes Sedai", even knows this weave.

Nynaeve would never ever use balefire again, especially after her reaction from seeing what Rand did. Not to mention, Moridin has learnt from his past mistakes as Ishamael and never underestimates anyone. At this point of the story, I hardly doubt he would be surprised she knows balefire. Maybe at the start of the series, but not from his stint as Moridin onwards. He would be more surprised if she didnt know it.

#11 Nightstrike

Nightstrike
  • Members
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:12 AM

I voted Nynaeve, but with much doubt about my vote.

Edited by Nightstrike, 06 February 2012 - 08:24 AM.

#12 Ledinna Sedai

Ledinna Sedai

Happy to be back ;)

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:54 AM

I feel same as in the Moridin vs. Aviendha one. I absolutely love Nyn and Avi, but to be honest, I don't think they could stand against Moridin,
Posted Image
Red's Wolf pup | WT White Accepted!!, House Mosvani | Taardad Clan Algai'd'siswai
Ogier | SG Darkfriend | ACW Guild member | Awesome sigs by Ayla, Lessa and Kuka :D

#13 MatBloodyCauthon

MatBloodyCauthon
  • Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:36 AM

Nynaeve would never ever use balefire again, especially after her reaction from seeing what Rand did. Not to mention, Moridin has learnt from his past mistakes as Ishamael and never underestimates anyone. At this point of the story, I hardly doubt he would be surprised she knows balefire. Maybe at the start of the series, but not from his stint as Moridin onwards. He would be more surprised if she didnt know it.

@Duskfire - She uses balefire in her testing to become Aes Sedai which is after she witnessed Rand obliterate Natrons Barrow. So I don't think that she would be to skeptical to use it against Moridin.

This is definatly a hard fight to pick either way, but I thought the Fain Vs Lan fight was a harder one. I actually do believe Nyn has a fighting chance for this one. And one that we very well could possibly see in the last book. We know Nyn has enough courage to go against the Forsaken, she has shown this time and time again, my favorite moment was in Bk 5 TFoH when she goes to ceamlyn to hunt down Rhavin in TAR. Do not forget that it isn't always strength in the Power that determines a victor. I know it's hard to say Moridin would lose, but all Nyn has to do is out smart him. Also remember that Nyn feels she is fighting not only for herself and the ppl of Randland, but for reality itself and so far she has a drive that is unequaled by any other character. If you put those two together you have a very very dangerous adversary. Not to mention that she has ter'angreal that tells her not only that someone is channeling, but the direction the foe is. She has a great amount of strength and the Well she can store Power in. Then we have to look at what we know Moridin has, great strength and basically a never ending knowledge of weaves from the AoL and beyond. I don't think strength or even knowledge will win this one but, the sheer drive of will. In the end we all know it's going to come down to the popular vote but isn't that what these discussions are for to sway other readers towards your opinion.
Posted Image

#14 Nightstrike

Nightstrike
  • Members
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:44 AM

Balefire should be a weave she can do well ... Isn't she strong in all 5 elements? I think she might be quick too.

She wears an angreal that is stronger than the one that lets Aviendha channel twice as much as Nynaeve. She should be pretty strong with it. I don't know how much the True Power can help Moridin.

Edited by Nightstrike, 06 February 2012 - 11:57 AM.

#15 Entreri

Entreri
  • Members
  • 912 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:47 PM

Moridin VERY VERY VERY EASILY. Moridin wields the TRUE POWER > One Power. True Power, Nynaeve fox head type medallion has no effect on it.

Moridin as strong as a man can get > Nyaneve + angreal.

Moridin skills and knowledge >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Nynaeve

And Moridin kills Mat VERY EASILY as well.

Nynaeve has ONE CHANCE, SURPRISE balefire.

Edited by Entreri, 06 February 2012 - 03:48 PM.

#16 Entreri

Entreri
  • Members
  • 912 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:52 PM

Balefire should be a weave she can do well ... Isn't she strong in all 5 elements? I think she might be quick too.

She wears an angreal that is stronger than the one that lets Aviendha channel twice as much as Nynaeve. She should be pretty strong with it. I don't know how much the True Power can help Moridin.

Then normally, she is likely as strong as One Power Ishamael or a little stronger.

Ishamael @100.

Nynaeve is possibly 40-50 + angreal = 100-120.

However, with the True Power, Ishamael nearly took out Rand+Callandor.

#17 snowball

snowball
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:01 PM

Then normally, she is likely as strong as One Power Ishamael or a little stronger.

Ishamael @100.

Nynaeve is possibly 40-50 + angreal = 100-120.

However, with the True Power, Ishamael nearly took out Rand+Callandor.

Not really. Rand broke his weave when he drew callandor. The rest of that fight took place in TAR, and Ishy used the environment against him. The fact that Rand was channeling to aid him in restoring reality came from his lack of knowledge, Ishy probably wasn't even channeling at that point.

"Sometimes he thought that the Creator must be like Talmanes. Straight of face, but secretly having a grand time laughing at Mat."

#18 Torn Shadow

Torn Shadow
  • Members
  • 624 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:10 PM

Does anyone know for sure if the foxheads don't affect the TP?

#19 Duskfire

Duskfire
  • Members
  • 774 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:07 PM

@Duskfire - She uses balefire in her testing to become Aes Sedai which is after she witnessed Rand obliterate Natrons Barrow. So I don't think that she would be to skeptical to use it against Moridin.

This is definatly a hard fight to pick either way, but I thought the Fain Vs Lan fight was a harder one. I actually do believe Nyn has a fighting chance for this one. And one that we very well could possibly see in the last book. We know Nyn has enough courage to go against the Forsaken, she has shown this time and time again, my favorite moment was in Bk 5 TFoH when she goes to ceamlyn to hunt down Rhavin in TAR. Do not forget that it isn't always strength in the Power that determines a victor. I know it's hard to say Moridin would lose, but all Nyn has to do is out smart him. Also remember that Nyn feels she is fighting not only for herself and the ppl of Randland, but for reality itself and so far she has a drive that is unequaled by any other character. If you put those two together you have a very very dangerous adversary. Not to mention that she has ter'angreal that tells her not only that someone is channeling, but the direction the foe is. She has a great amount of strength and the Well she can store Power in. Then we have to look at what we know Moridin has, great strength and basically a never ending knowledge of weaves from the AoL and beyond. I don't think strength or even knowledge will win this one but, the sheer drive of will. In the end we all know it's going to come down to the popular vote but isn't that what these discussions are for to sway other readers towards your opinion.

Moridin has far more willpower then Nynaeve. This is someone who defied his entire society, his entire culture, his entire world, to help out something that was inhumane because of his philosophical beliefs. People throw around Nyn's willpower all they want, but its nothing compared to what Ishamael has gone through, and keeps on trying at. Moridin would destroy her, and I am actually immensely surprised that people think otherwise. He is the epitome of the shadow, uses the True Power excessively, has knowledge of weaves stretching back from thousands of years ago. Nyn simply doesnt have a chance.

#20 Ishmael Forsaken

Ishmael Forsaken

Silly Sausage

• Banned
  • 10,013 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:05 PM

But what everyone is forgetting is that the bad guys in this series = the Three Stooges. Seriously, has any of their schemes worked? Anytime any of them have gone up against a main character, it's been the equivalent of Wile E. Coyote trying to catch the Road Runner. The bad guys in Randland are simply incompetent, boneheaded doofuses. They get spanked each and every time they roll out of the bed. For anyone here to try and apply REASON and LOGIC to any of these theory threads goes against everything the WoT stands for. If you want to use the true physics and mechanics of Randland, it's a given that Nyn will sniff, smooth her skirts, call Moridin a woolhead, yank her braid at him and he'll explode into nothingness. That would be exactly what would happen in the actual books, because the bad guys are complete and total morons who never succeed at anything. They could mess up a wet dream and it's the main drawback to the whole series.

EmpyMafia_zpse1720b82.jpg

Yellow Warder to Luciena ** Brother to WildTaltos