Matrim Cauthon's death?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 yoniy0

yoniy0
  • DM - Staff
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:37 PM

Just in case I wasn't clear, I had a feeling Taryn was aiming at Mat's bond with the Horn, and I answered in relation to this alone. In no way was I suggesting that the answer Mat got from the Aelfinn's referred to Rhuidean. And, while Rand didn't have the required machinery, he couldn't hear Mat's heart before applying CPR, and could afterwards. That doesn't happen, to the best of my knowledge, with a functioning heart.
If you rather not use PM, you can always email me to yoniy0 at dragonmount dot com for moderation questions.

you are worse than Hitler! I heard that you eat babies!

#22 Bob T Dwarf

Bob T Dwarf
  • Members
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:33 PM

Yes, well, he wasn't dead in the sense that someone who has cardiac arrest and is brought back isn't dead, but I think he was clinically dead for a few moments there. So while RJ's answer makes it clear that the bit about 'to die and live again' was referring to his lightning-stroke, if we ponder the status of his link to the Horn, the Rhuidean incident probably has more effect than his actual death in Caemlyn (since that technically never happened).

Or you can convolute the authors outright answer in order to validate your oppinion. RJ said it was the Caemlyn death that fulfilled the prophecy. Mat did not die in Rhuidean, clinically, technically, or any other form of death. He was alive.

I always wondered whether or not Rand Healed Mat in that scene.

Going entirely from memory here, and not even sure which book this might be from, but I believe that Healing is the only Talent about which Lews Therin has admitted to not being proficient. 99% ( to pick a reasonable number out of the air ) of Rand's Channeling comes straight from the memories of LTT, so Healing Mat seems unlikely.
What I say is, what you believe to be true is not always true. What you think is going to happen is not always going to happen. That has been demonstrated time and again in THE WHEEL OF TIME. You could call those two statements one of the themes of the books. ... If the answer is easy, consider the possibility that you asked the wrong question. - Robert Jordan

#23 Gaidar

Gaidar

Master of Memory

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:17 AM

Its noted a the end of WH that rand can't heal you from a simple bruise.... He surely can't revive.
IIRCAIUD - If I Recall Correctly, And I Usually Do

I have none of the books in hands reach, and im always on mobile phone. as such, i am unable to provide quote more specific than "when Elayne was in Ebo Dar" or 'theoryland database, search for 'Horn of Valere"

#24 peregrine

peregrine
  • Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:58 AM

It's funny Suian said that. Didn't Tuon also say her father fancied himself a gambler and "died of an ill wager?" I'd say it points to something but, as everyone has already pointed out, it's pretty certain Mat will live through the series. Wouldn't be surprised if RJ was setting him up to die in the outrigger novels though.

Any chance they're still going to get written?

Posted Image

#25 maddface

maddface
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:29 AM

Didn't Mat have his foxhead medallion then? It's been a while since I read that scene but it was just after he went to Finnland and received his gifts. Also as others have stated as well, Rand talent for healing is such that I doubt he could of healed Mat.

#26 yoniy0

yoniy0
  • DM - Staff
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:03 AM

Didn't Mat have his foxhead medallion then?

He had it, but Rand threw it aside before he tried to revive him. Either way, though, we've seen Rand trying to use the Power to heal, and he hasn't the first clue how to go about it (he was using a science approach, performing CPR with saidin).
If you rather not use PM, you can always email me to yoniy0 at dragonmount dot com for moderation questions.

you are worse than Hitler! I heard that you eat babies!

#27 Eternal Phoenix

Eternal Phoenix

Modest Mouse

• Members
  • 11,961 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:43 AM

Yes, well, he wasn't dead in the sense that someone who has cardiac arrest and is brought back isn't dead, but I think he was clinically dead for a few moments there. So while RJ's answer makes it clear that the bit about 'to die and live again' was referring to his lightning-stroke, if we ponder the status of his link to the Horn, the Rhuidean incident probably has more effect than his actual death in Caemlyn (since that technically never happened).

Or you can convolute the authors outright answer in order to validate your oppinion. RJ said it was the Caemlyn death that fulfilled the prophecy. Mat did not die in Rhuidean, clinically, technically, or any other form of death. He was alive.

it wasnt a healing as it left a scar

it states right out in the books had he had healing he wouldnt have had the scar (not sure which book but it does I believe it was a Mat pov)
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#28 Luckers

Luckers

Hostile Witness

• Members
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:37 PM

It's funny Suian said that. Didn't Tuon also say her father fancied himself a gambler and "died of an ill wager?" I'd say it points to something but, as everyone has already pointed out, it's pretty certain Mat will live through the series. Wouldn't be surprised if RJ was setting him up to die in the outrigger novels though.

Any chance they're still going to get written?

Probably not. Though in the line of gamblers, Verin's dad was also one, and used the phrase 'it's time to toss the dice'.

Follow Me On Twitter: or check out my WoT FAQ and Theories

------

Terez: The word 'douche' appears twice in the database. Both times it's you

Luckers: I'm nothing if not a creature of habit.

------

Brandon Sanderson: I KNOW I did a good job. Not perfect, but very good. I know it as an artist.

#29 Mardolin

Mardolin
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:02 AM

Hm I'm sorry for my first post after lurking for a while is OT but

Brandon stated he didn't want WOT to be like Star Wars with books telling scattered stories, but would like to do the prequels that RJ planned about Tam and Moiraine, and possibly the outriggers about Mat and Tuon as well (but not the other planned series, Infinity of Heaven).

caught my eye and I'm wondering if Sanderson's still planning to write these sequels? Cause I dimly remember him claiming that there will be neither prequels nor sequels to WoT :(
(I hope I got it wrong though ;-) )

#30 Majsju

Majsju
  • Members
  • 9,963 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:32 AM

Hm I'm sorry for my first post after lurking for a while is OT but

Brandon stated he didn't want WOT to be like Star Wars with books telling scattered stories, but would like to do the prequels that RJ planned about Tam and Moiraine, and possibly the outriggers about Mat and Tuon as well (but not the other planned series, Infinity of Heaven).

caught my eye and I'm wondering if Sanderson's still planning to write these sequels? Cause I dimly remember him claiming that there will be neither prequels nor sequels to WoT :(
(I hope I got it wrong though ;-) )

Not Brandons call, Harriet owns the rights, and decides what gets written. Currently she does not want anything other than the encyclopedia that will come after AMOL, and judging from Brandons comments, he does not think she will change her mind about it.
If she does however, brandond wants to write them, but more because he does not want other writers stepping into something he has now become a part of.
Posted Image

#31 Mardolin

Mardolin
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:18 AM

Thanks for that quick reply :)

#32 metalisticpain

metalisticpain
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:22 PM

I dont believe sanderson wants to write them exactly. He would prefer not to draw it out as it has the chance of ruining the series integrity if I remember right.

But as Luckers said if they are going to be done, he wants to do it.