Photo

Tune or No Tune - Home Again by Michael Kiwanuka (30th January --> 6th February 2012)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Poll: Is "Wheel of Time" a Tune?? (6 member(s) have cast votes)

Is "Home Again" a Tune??

1. TUNE!!!!!! (2 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. NO TUNE!!!!! (4 votes [66.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Corki

Corki

ex-Marshal-General of the BotRH

• Members
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:48 PM

"Tune or No Tune" is a simple, weekly thread hosted by the Band of the Red Hand Social Group. All you need to do is decide whether the song I have chosen is a TUNE (i.e. you love it) or a NO TUNE (i.e. you hate it). Quite simple, really!

As is usual for January, the theme is a look back at songs from the previous year, as well as a look at artists who are expected to hit the big time in 2012. And to start with, using the Official Chart Company's top 20 Singles of 2011 as a guide, Changed the Way You Kiss Me by Example was picked and ended up being voted a "No Tune". Next up was Domino by Jessie J, which you decided was a "Tune". The third song picked was Levels by Avicii, which ended up being a "Tune". Time for the next artist.

My next artist is Michael Kiwanuka, who was recently voted as the winner of the BBC's Sound of 2012 contest. Kiwanuka is a British soul musician of Ugandan heritage. He has been compared to Bill Withers and Otis Redding. In addition to Withers and Redding, Kiwanuka cites Joni Mitchell and Bob Dylan as influences on his music.

Home Again was his second single from his first studio album Home Again. It was released for digital downloads on 1st January 2012, and charted at number 37 on 8th January 2012. It has since peaked at number 29 in the charts.

Unfortunately, this song doesn't do anything for me. It is just a little too simplistic and dull. As a result, I give Home Again by Michael Kiwanuka the vote of NO TUNE.

For those of you who haven't heard the piece, here is a link to YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ4s3G7hgR4&ob=av2e

The poll closes in a week's time, which is Monday 6th February 2012. So make sure you vote now before the time for the latest "Tune or No Tune" poll finishes!

Also, if you want to suggest a tune for "Tune or No Tune", do not hesitate to drop me a PM.

Corki

Cavalry

Former Marshal-General of the Band of the Red Hand (Social Group Leader)

#2 Corki

Corki

ex-Marshal-General of the BotRH

• Members
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:48 PM

Banders, Please Note:

Voting in "Tune or No Tune" threads counts towards posting in an activity thread for points gained through the roll call. However, in order for that to qualify, you need to post that you voted. Otherwise you won't get the recognition or the promotion points via the roll call.

Corki
Marshal-General
Social Group Leader

Corki

Cavalry

Former Marshal-General of the Band of the Red Hand (Social Group Leader)

#3 Jeannaisais

Jeannaisais

Archer of the Band, Brown Ajah Aes Sedai

• Members
  • 13,436 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:12 AM

No Tune
Posted Image

Come see how the Band is doing with their different goals! Goal Tracking

#4 Captain Jani

Captain Jani

Wait...what?

• Members
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:26 AM

Not able to use the YouTube like on my iPad2: I see a graphic with a line through it. Why is that? Anyway, I was able to listen to a couple of versions on YouTube by manually launching the app, but wasn't sure which specific vid you liked. But I actually liked the cello better than the singer; he doesn't really have any chops, and the song is not well crafted, so I have to say

NO TUNE

Posted Image

Master Sergeant - Infantry, Band of the Red Hand / Silver Knight of the Light Faction / Dedicated of the Black Tower

Siggies by Dors Maherally, Songstress & Boopsy

#5 Mayleigh Aes Sedai

Mayleigh Aes Sedai
  • Members
  • 3,732 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:12 AM

YUCK! no tune!!!

Mayleigh_zpse4e3397b.gif

Dearg i mo croi go deo!! Lady Mayleigh BotRH Caverly

#6 dragonlover

dragonlover

Archer Redarm