Photo

Week 3: Mat vs. Birgitte

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

Poll: Week 3: Mat vs. Birgitte (204 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Mat (186 votes [91.18%])

Percentage of vote: 91.18%

2. Voted Birgitte (18 votes [8.82%])

Percentage of vote: 8.82%

Vote

#1 Dwynwen

Dwynwen
  • Administrators
  • 6,735 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:48 PM

Posted Image

Write-up by: Despothera

The Contestants

Matrim Cauthon
Race: Human
Weapon: ashendarei
Special: memories and experience of many lives, the Dark One's own luck

Birgitte Silverbow
Race: Human
Weapon: bow, sword, fists
Special: Millenia of Heroics, excellent marksmanship

The Breakdown

Advantages
Mat: has the experience of a great many adventurers, soldiers, and other skilled individuals
Birgitte: has herself lived through countless lives as a soldier and fighter, enhanced skills and abilities of a Warder

Disavantages
Mat: has strong dislike for hurting women, lack of depth perception
Birgitte: (slight) drinking problem, prone to mood swings

How we think the fight will go:

Spinning a coin around his fingers, Mat thought again for the hundredth time of the strange encounter he had just had with Tuon's servant. Hoping to drown the memory of killing the insane Seanchan out of his head, Mat ordered another drink from the innkeeper, finishing off the last of his draught while she poured him one. It had been tougher than usual to summon the smile that had gotten him a favored eye from the innkeeper, as if the fine clothes and large sums of money he would soon be spending wouldn't have been enough.

What was that bloody goose-brain of a Seanchan thinking, attacking him like that?! He hadn't wanted to hurt her, that was the last thing on his mind, but he couldn't avoid the fact that her death was on his hands. And after all that, he still hadn't been able to find Tuon, although he didn't know how he would've been able to explain why he had murdered her servant.

He suddenly realized he wasn't alone at the bar, and as he looked closer another grin came onto his face, this time easier to spawn.

"Birgitte! You're the last person I expected to see here!" Mat exclaimed as he recognized the golden-haired Hero of the Horn. Much to his surprise, however, Birgitte seemed to huddle closer within herself, as if trying not to be seen. Studying her a bit longer, Mat realized she had a worse than sour expression on her face, and was staring into her mug as if she meant to shatter it with her gaze alone.

Mat knew better than to provoke someone with that look upon their face, but in this case he couldn't leave his friend alone when he didn't know what was bothering her so much.

"What gives, Birgitte? You look as if someone cheated you at dice or something."

"It's nothing," Birgitte replied coldly. "Just leave me alone."

Birgitte's tone threw Mat off for a moment. What could have happened that could have Birgitte this down? Normally, almost nothing could get her so depressed that a pitcher or two of ale couldn't cheer her up.

"What is it, is Rand "occupying" Elayne's time or something?" he asked Birgitte with a wolfish grin on his face. "Or is he too busy with Min?" he chuckled.

Birgitte snapped her face around to look at him sharply.

"How did you find out? Who else knows?!" Birgitte said in short, cutting tones.

"Find out what?! Light, Birgitte, you're not making any bloody sense right now! What happened?"

Birgitte continued looking at him another couple of moments, then sighed heavily and gazed into her mug once again. "Something happened, Mat. Something I'm not proud of. I don't know how to tell you this, but something happened to Min."

"What happened, did she get lost in another burning book or something? Leave it to you women to always get yourselves in a situation you need to be rescued out of. Just don't tell me we have to nab her out of a tower or anything." Mat tried hard not to think about the creatures that had taken his eye.

"She's dead, Mat. I...I kind of accidentally killed her." She said, her voice full of shame.

"Light! You aren't...you aren't serious, are you?" Mat asked Birgitte as she continued staring into her mug. "Blood and bloody ashes, you aren't kidding, are you?! How do you 'accidentally' kill someone anyways?! Burn me, this is a bloody difficult situation to be in. What has Rand said he's going to do with you?"

"He doesn't know," Birgitte replied grimly.

"Doesn't know?! Light, Birgitte, we have to tell the man! Imagine what he's probably already thinking, having the bond snap on him like that! He'll probably use the burning One Power on you, Birgitte. Burn me for a goat's father, what are we waiting for? Quick, Birgitte, let's go tell him before he goes mad and 'breaks the world again' right on top of our heads!"

Mat got up from his stool and turned to go out the door to the inn, not noticing that Birgitte had turned to face him, clutching the beer mug in her hands.

Birgitte stared at the back of Mat's head, watching as he began to head for the door. Not even thinking about what she was doing, she reared back with the mug in her hands, then threw it forward at Mat, using her excellent marksmanship to have it hit him right square on top of his crown.

With a crash, he sprawled out among a table and chairs, the patrons that had been sitting there clearing away just barely. He moaned and groaned and rubbed at his head, and his ashendarei lay on the floor several paces away. Birgitte strode angrily towards him, furious at him for threatening to tell Rand.

Grabbing him by the back of his coat, she lifted him to his feet, just so she could spin him around and deck him with her right hand. He stumbled backwards from the blow, tripping over another chair to land in an awkward position again. Birgitte headed towards him again, this time pausing to grab a chair as she walked up on him while he was still gathering himself.

With a loud drunken yell, she swung the chair down and smashed it right over his head, baring her teeth as he crumpled down to the floor again, discarding the pieces of chair that she was still clutching in her hands.

Her face was hot with rage, perhaps with a touch of drunken fervor as well, and she didn't even notice any of the other patrons scurrying outside of the inn as she stumbled towards Mat again.

Mat was still reeling from the last blow as he heard steps getting closer to him. Had every bloody woman in the whole blasted world gone crazy all of a sudden? he thought with as much irritation as he could summon. First Selucia, and now his drinking buddy Birgitte!

Birgitte was almost upon him now, and he had no time to think, he just needed to get his hide out of there before Birgitte impaled him with a table leg. Not bothering to get up all the way, he lowered his hand and charged forward, catching Birgitte in the midsection with his shoulder as he tried bowling through her.

She was sturdier than he thought she would be, however, and before he knew it she had put an arm around his neck, grabbed him by the pants, and then the world was spinning upside down. With a great loud bang, he crashed back first into another table. His back was on fire, and all the air had gone out from his lungs, but he noticed that Birgitte was now climbing onto another table nearby.

He watched in shock as she crouched down a moment, then launched herself at him, elbow extended dangerously. She landed in a painful heap on top of him, her elbow barreling into his ribs with a crack. Stars swam across his vision.

Adrenaline surged through Birgitte, and she disentangled herself from Mat's disheveled form lying on the floor. He was breathing in halting, shallow, croaking breaths now, groaning periodically. Birgitte pulled him back to his feet again, and with a violent pull sent him crashing into the kitchen. He crumpled down to the floor again, whimpering like a small child.

Glancing around for a weapon, Birgitte finally spotted a cleaver and hefted it with ease. She turned toward Mat, and started to advance upon him again. Birgitte was surprised when his foot shot out all of a sudden to kick her in the shins as she got near him. She fell slightly to the side of him, then felt him wrestling atop her. Birgitte started clawing his face, trying to get him off of her so she could regain her feet.

With a menacing growl, he slapped away her hands, then raised himself atop her and delivered a savage blow right to her dome. Her head rung and light exploded in her vision, and she pulled her arms over her head, trying to block another painful blow.

An elbow delivered to her ribs forced her to suck in air in painful quick bursts, her side splitting like it had been pierced by a spear. Rolling over to the side, she succeeded in getting him off her long enough to start scrambling up on her feet. As she used a nearby counter for leverage, she felt her hand close over a pile of flour, then turned around in a fluid motion and threw the flour into Mat's face.

He roared savagely and turned away from her, clutching his one remaining eye in pain. Birgitte looked around again for the cleaver she had dropped, located it and then picked it up. Mat was stumbling away from her, bumping into countertops as he lurched his way out of the kitchen. Birgitte strode casually towards him, knuckles white in her grip of the cleaver this time as she prepared to do what she had to do.

As Mat stumbled awkwardly away from Birgitte, blind and aching in a dozen different spots, his thoughts raced quickly as he tried to figure out what he could do to get away from Birgitte so he could get his bearings. If he didn't think it completely nuts, he thought Birgitte meant to kill him, too! At least that's how she looked when she had been coming up on him with that cleaver.

Realizing he was fighting for his life, Mat clutched the fox-head medallion tied to a thong around his neck. The medallion would offer no help to him tied around his neck against Birgitte; she apparently didn't need the One Power to beat Mat within an inch of his life! Ripping the medallion free, he spun around and chucked it as hard as he could towards what he hoped was Birgitte's face.

There was a resounding CLACK! that he heard with satisfaction as he turned about again to put more distance between him and Birgitte. Birgitte had shrieked with pain, but he heard her lumbering to her feet and begin to charge towards him. His vision was just then starting to return to him, and he barely dodged a swipe of the cleaver as she swung downwards with enough force that her cleaver became embedded inside a table.

His feet finally finding better purchase, he scampered back to where he had been sitting in the common room before the fight had broken apart. Birgitte had freed the cleaver and was sprinting after him, voice rising in an ear-piercing battle cry. Arriving at where his ashendarei sat lying on the floor, he kicked the black-hafted spear up into his hands at the same time that he twisted around and fell backwards, hoping to block the incoming blade.

His legs got caught up in the handle of the ashendarei, however, and forced it up at an awkward angle as Birgitte barreled down upon him. Mat closed his eye, waiting for the fatal blow which would finally do him in. Every lucky streak has to end sometime, he thought grimly as he cringed, sure the cleaver would embed itself in his skull any moment. After a few moments of nothing happening, he finally opened his eye again to see what happened. Hovering over him, not inches from his face, Birgitte had impaled herself upon Mat's ashendarei.

She stared at him with accusing eyes, the color draining from her face as she opened her mouth to speak. Instead of words, all Mat heard was a gurgling sound, and then she strained and sagged down into one final death rattle. Mat swore he would never forget that look in her eyes. Letting his head sag backwards, Mat shuddered as he imagined the amount of ale he would have to drink to get this memory out of his head.

Predicted Winner: Mat

You have until Saturday, February 4th at 9:00 p.m. PST to vote.
White Ajah Aes Sedai...Bonded to BenT-Gaidin...Sis of Nia, MJF, and Mighte...Mentor of Many

#2 Aiel Heart

Aiel Heart

Car'a'Carn, Mistress at Arms and Den Mother

• DM - Staff
  • 42,692 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:23 PM

It kills me to think of these two fighting... Hahaha for a while it was my secret hope that these two would end up together somehow. Mat's cute with Tuon though :P

Loop_44.gif

Leelou's Warder....Volke's Shar'Dar....Sunshine's Souvra....Nyan's Muer'Shen

#3 jkigndude

jkigndude
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:05 AM

this was a tough one...it would depend on who saw who first and whether the fight would be short range or long range. All things being equal, that would mean it would come down to luck and although Birgitte is unmatched with the bow, Mat would be better in close range fighting and also with tactics. Not even getting into Mat's luck, he would have the slight advantage in this fight.

#4 Corvinus

Corvinus
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:37 AM

Mat.

I think Birgitte would even let him win.

#5 Turin Turambar

Turin Turambar

DAGNIR GLARUNGA

• Members
  • 17,097 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:46 AM

Birgitte has to be able to take Mat down with her bow from distance. If Mat is able to close distance he will take her down easily.

Posted Image

M'Hael Emeritus-BTSG Double Bonded to Ithillian

#6 g o i

g o i
  • Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:47 AM

Birgitte has to be able to take Mat down with her bow from distance. If Mat is able to close distance he will take her down easily.

though mat's luck might get him in close so that he wins
http://dragcave.net/user/g_o_i
please help my dragons in the link above(if you want)
http://andrew-smith.mybrute.com
link above is for my brute since I found it fun
if you can't clean the crime scene then obliterate it
computer: Warning. Warning. Firearms detected.
Computer: Number of weapons found...
Computer: ...
Computer: many

#7 Tobias

Tobias
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:10 AM

This battle will take place in a pub and will be a drinking contest.

#8 arianrose

arianrose
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:06 PM

All things being equal, that would mean it would come down to luck

Yeah... I was on the fence until I read that. Any time something is going to come down to "luck," my money is on the boy with the spinning dice in his head.

#9 vanceme

vanceme
  • Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:47 PM

This battle will take place in a pub and will be a drinking contest.

^ this x1000. It's a drink to the death!

#10 David Selig

David Selig
  • Members
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:25 PM

Birgitte, of course. Mat has too many hangups about hurting women, this would slow him down.
“Are you still souring milk for a hobby, Faolain?”

#11 Master Ablar

Master Ablar
  • DM - Staff
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:47 PM

Birgitte, of course. Mat has too many hangups about hurting women, this would slow him down.

Well then he'll kill her by accident. He's so lucky his luck will act for his greater good, against his very will.

Edited by Master Ablar, 31 January 2012 - 07:43 AM.

I think one of the reasons the Black Tower has become so popular in fandom isn't just that you get to dress in black and set fires with your mind, it's the sense of struggle the Asha'man have. To save the world, they have to embrace the part of themselves that's terrible and destructive. They risk madness to learn how to channel. It's a tremendous sacrifice they make.

#12 Rachel Rahien

Rachel Rahien
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:58 AM

Yeah, definitely Mat ;) Can't wait to see the write up. And I agree it should be in a tavern!

Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar...

Posted Image

...Fear of death holds not my heart.

#13 Ledinna Sedai

Ledinna Sedai

Happy to be back ;)

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:41 AM

I think in skills and old memories (gives an advantage in strategy) they're equal. But Mat's luck...
Posted Image
Red's Wolf pup | WT White Accepted!!, House Mosvani | Taardad Clan Algai'd'siswai
Ogier | SG Darkfriend | ACW Guild member | Awesome sigs by Ayla, Lessa and Kuka :D

#14 vanceme

vanceme
  • Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:00 AM

Everyone says Mat's luck, but what if Birgitte was ripped out of TAR as a corrective mechanism, to stop Mat's luck from snowballing him to Emporer of the world?

#15 Nygma

Nygma
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:43 PM

Everyone says Mat's luck, but what if Birgitte was ripped out of TAR as a corrective mechanism, to stop Mat's luck from snowballing him to Emporer of the world?

The Wheel's already taken care of it by fixing him up with Tuon. He's officially limited to Prince of the Ravens now. :laugh:

#16 amegakure

amegakure
  • Members
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:07 PM

why is he only stuck to prince of the ravens?
Posted Image

#17 Rachel Rahien

Rachel Rahien
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:10 AM

Oh that was an awesome write-up! Poor Mat :'(

Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar...

Posted Image

...Fear of death holds not my heart.

#18 78WARLOCK

78WARLOCK
  • Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:31 PM

Mat. He would take some serious hurt though. I can't really see this as a "fight to the death" more like a "I can out drink you anyday pretty boy ! Put up or shut up !" Otherwise Matrim is just to darn lucky.
"Tia avende alantin"

#19 Edgetho

Edgetho
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:01 PM

Mat would win, but I feel bad for the poor guy. I hope he goes up against Fain next, so he can fight some one he doesn't have to feel bad about killing. Even if it were to be Lan, at least we'd get to see him fight seriously. The write-ups thus far have pretty much been him accidentally killing people while trying to defend himself. Imagine what he could do if he were pissed off and trying to win, without his opponent's gender getting in the way.

#20 Dwynwen

Dwynwen
  • Administrators
  • 6,735 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:01 PM

Voting is now over, and the winner is...

Mat!
White Ajah Aes Sedai...Bonded to BenT-Gaidin...Sis of Nia, MJF, and Mighte...Mentor of Many