Photo

Week 3: Padan Fain vs. Lan

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
47 replies to this topic

Poll: Week 3: Padan Fain vs. Lan (215 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Padan Fain (104 votes [48.37%])

Percentage of vote: 48.37%

2. Voted Lan (111 votes [51.63%])

Percentage of vote: 51.63%

Vote

#1 Dwynwen

Dwynwen
  • Administrators
  • 6,735 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:46 PM

Posted Image

Write-up by: Despothera

The Contestants

Al’Lan Mandragoran
Race: human
Weapon: blade forged with the One Power
Special: Warder-enhanced speed, endurance, and agility

Padan Fain
Race: human(ish)
Weapon: dagger from Shadar Logoth
Special: merged with Mordeth

The Breakdown

Advantages
Lan: Unequaled in skill with the blade, immeasurable courage, epic grudge against the Shadow
Fain: Able to manipulate Mashadar, can control Shadowspawn, other odd and unidentifiable abilities

Disadvantages
Lan: Puts himself in the path of danger too often, has a deathwish
Fain: Pretty much as mentally unstable as they come

How we think the fight will go:

The chaotic pitch of battle filled the area, only occasional frantic screams able to pierce the din. The battlefield stretched across a large swath of Tarwin's Gap, and both ally and foe fell by the score. Men fighting afoot had to struggle to keep from sliding on blood as they fought tooth and nail against Trollocs, and Myrddraal stalked through the fields, death flowing from their swords which moved with sinuous grace through the crowd.

Lan finished off his enemy and stumbled forward slightly, the exertion of battle getting to him. For the battle to have gone on long enough to tire Lan's Warder-enhanced endurance surprised the veteran Gaidin. He figured the force he rode into this Light-forsaken Blight would not have held out nearly as long, yet his arms felt they could only hold his sword up moments longer. His breath came out in ragged gasps as he raised his head, quickly scanning his surroundings.

Surprisingly, there was not an enemy focused on him for fifty feet. Almost from the beginning of the conflict the fighting had been thickest around him, as if the Shadow had been frantic to get him off the field first. Lan stood up straighter and began to scan more of the battlefield to see how the rest of his forces were holding up, when a voice rattled through the air and chilled Lan's spine as he heard it.

"You certainly have an uncanny ability to survive long past your due, Gaidin." The last word came out as if it were a scathing insult. Padan Fain stood facing Lan, oblivious to the battle around him. "I can identify with that. This time, however, I'm afraid there will be no last-minute heroics. I have tried everything I could think of to attract Rand al'Thor's attention, but I have a feeling taking his mentor's head to him in a basket might finally do the trick."

Lan stared back at Padan Fain, an emotionless expression on his face. He had relaxed into a familiar battle stance again, looking both aware and aloof at the same time. Holding his sword in both hands, his gaze never strayed from Fain for one moment. He did not reply.

"Didn't you have some scullery maid or something you had named your wife? Nynaeve, I believe? Oh, her death was particularly exquisite. Her will was strong and defiant, but in the end she broke all the same. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed drinking from the marrow of her cracked bones, knowing how it would make you feel once you learned of it," Fain taunted Lan.

Wind blew through Lan's long dark hair, but his stance didn't falter for one second. His face was carved of granite, sharp angles giving him a severe look. He said nothing.

Irritation flashed across Fain's face, and he gnashed his teeth as he cried out "Aaarrgh, let's just get this over with" and darted forward brandishing his ruby-hilted dagger in front of him dangerously.

Lan immediately began flowing into sword forms, one after the other. He had an idea how dangerous this foe was, and tested him out with quick opening attacks. His sword fell into The Grapevine Twines as he tried disarming his opponent, then twisted it into Low Wind Rising as he returned to his guard. He then shifted into Dandelion in the Wind, cutting his sword in a sinuous line across his chest as he tried getting past Fain's defenses.

Lan tried hard to keep surprise from showing on his face, but he was almost in disbelief at how quickly his foe was able to dodge or avoid his attacks. That kind of speed looked inherently evil itself, like the darting speed of a Myrddraal but more deadly. He fell into a lower stance, keeping on the balls of his feet, ready to jump backwards at any moment. His sword traced out the Leopard's Caress, aimed at Fain's legs in an attempt to slow down the Darkfriend.

His attack once again missing its mark, he found himself having to fall into frantic defensive maneuvers with his blade. Switching effortlessly into Cat Dances on the Wall, his feet danced a complicated rhythm as he fended off Fain's now frenetic attacks. His sword changed forms again, this time using the Cat on Hot Sand, a form normally used to fight multiple opponents at once. Even then he barely beat off Fain's relentless assault.

Padan Fain felt frustration bubbling into rage inside him, hating Lan for making him have to work so hard to end him. He would just exert his will and take control of his foe, were he facing a simple Trolloc or Myrddraal, but unfortunately that ability was unable to help him here. At least that ability was allowing him to keep the rest of the battle away from them. A tight ring surrounded Lan and Fain; his Shadowspawn helped him to have this private moment with the Warder.

The abnormal Shadowspawn/Darkfriend considered the Warder again. For a man who seemed to desire death so much, he fought with a tenacity Fain was not used to. His normal victims took little encouraging before they were begging for whatever sweet release Fain would grant them. A hunger ate away at Fain deep inside of him, a rage that boiled up and filled him with heat. He felt the same sensations from the dagger he held. He would feast on this warrior's blood; the need to burned inside him.

Fain looked up as a force of Malkieri broke through the ring of Trollocs, headed straight for him. He looked at them with grins for just a moment before suddenly a grayish cloud burst out towards the soldiers. The fog shot towards them and seperate tendrils snaked out to strike at each one individually. As each arm found its target, the soldiers would suddenly freeze where they stood, usually to then drop their weapons and drop to the ground, convulsing. Their deaths would be long and agonizing, and soon they would envy their brothers in battle who died relatively quickly and easily.

The grin on Fain's face extended as he saw Lan's features harden slightly. So, there was a way to get to this man after all, Fain thought with a hoarse chuckle. He redirected Mashadar out towards the soldiers surrounding them; the evil cloud fed off both Lightsworn and Shadowspawn alike. Shrieks arose around the pair, and Fain reveled in their pain. He was so transfixed in their suffering that he barely realized Lan was charging at him now, sword held furiously in front of him. With a start, Fain redirected a tendril of Mashadar towards Lan.

As the grey fog suddenly shot towards Lan, he abandoned the attack he had just been executing and danced away from the dangerous cloud. Fain was laughing now, darting forth to slash with his dagger as Lan did his best to move about so as to not let Mashadar touch him. He was barely using semblances of sword forms at this point, having to focus so much of his energy on avoiding the cloud of Mashadar.

Rolling backwards just as an arm of Mashadar extended out above his head, Lan continued to draw out the pursuit, not letting Mashadar or Fain's dagger get too close. Lan still felt the exhaustion from earlier; it was now a coat he had had on too long, weighing him down but almost forgotten at the same time. It felt like he had been fighting Fain for hours, and reality seemed to blur by in front of him as he realized Fain was toying with him.

Lan swung his sword about furiously now; then, after avoiding another offshoot of Mashadar, he rushed towards Fain in an attempt to give himself a breather. His sword met air as he finished his attack, and Lan frowned. No one was that fast. Where did... Lan tensed up immediately as he felt Fain's presence directly behind him. Before he could react, however, Fain had grasped his scalp in a vice-like grip, and held him in place as his dagger hovered mere millimeters from Lan's neck.

"You've lost, Gaidin," Fain whispered into Lan's ears. "Well, you lost long ago, before you had even known of my presence, but now you can actually be aware of the manner of your defeat. One touch of this dagger, and your death will be assured. I want to hear you beg. Beg for Nynaeve's safety. Plead for her life; if your squeals satisfy me I might make her death quick compared to yours."

Lan had already considered the situation and was now preparing himself for what he had to do. He had originally talked to Rand of this maneuver only in the figurative sense, but now Lan saw his only choice was to Sheathe the Sword, literally. Fain had stupidly left Lan's arms free, and Lan had calculated the pinpoint position he must strike at. Mouthing a last prayer for Nynaeve, a last message of love, Lan reversed the grip of his sword and launched it straight into his own midsection.

The pain-filled gasp Lan heard gave him some slight satisfaction, but he was already flowing into the next attack. He brought the sword out from his torso and twisted in a strange combination of Unfolding the Fan (this time drawing the sword out of his body's sheath instead) and Whirlwind on the Mountain, spinning around furiously with the blade extended out from him slightly below neck level.

Fain stood looking at Lan a couple more moments before his head finally slid off his shoulders. The Power-Forged blade had cut so precisely that Fain still stood another few moments, until all the muscles of the body slowly losing tension caused him to tumble down. Lan fell to one knee himself, clutching his side as the slightest of grunts escaped his mouth.

Blood pouring out from his wound, Lan raised his head once again. His soldiers had rallied once they saw their king take out his opponent, and everywhere Lan looked he saw Trollocs being driven away by Malkieri blade. Pride welled in Lan's features, but as he looked down at his wound he knew he wouldn't have long to feel pride or any other emotion for that matter. He looked up at the sky and thought of Nynaeve.

Predicted Winner: Lan

You have until Saturday, February 4th at 9:00 p.m. PST to vote.
White Ajah Aes Sedai...Bonded to BenT-Gaidin...Sis of Nia, MJF, and Mighte...Mentor of Many

#2 MegaZeroX

MegaZeroX
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:45 PM

So far, I am the only one who thinks Fain would win. Honestly, I don't think Lan would have much of a chance. Fain can just summon Mashadar, which will cause Lan to lose his soul before he has much of a chance to do anything. Also, if Fain even cuts Lan, Lan will die.

#3 shadowofomioc

shadowofomioc
  • Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:34 PM

There is something about Padan Fain's whole storyline that reminds me of Gollum in LotR. Except that Padain Fain's danger level is far greater then that of little Gollum. I speak more of the " Padan Fain will change the lives of many " type of thing. He hates the creator, he hates Rand, he hates the Dark One, he hates everything. And as we speak ( haha ) he is just walking right through the Blight and nothing out there is able to even get close. And now he is building a zombie army of Trollocs? Hmmmm ...

I would love to see this fight personally. So many angles. Padan Fain is just pure evil. In the purest sense really. He has no conscience at all. Heck atleast the Forsaken even consider Balefire to be forbidden and hold to some level of rules. I think Padan Fain, if he could wield the one power, would destroy the entire world just to do it.

On the other hand, Lan is just so purely skilled in his craft. I think if this fight was fought purely with skill and blades, Lan would win in about 10 seconds. But Padan Fain would sense the fact that he had NO shot whatsoever at a skill vs. skill contest and would turn other things against Lan.

In the end, Padan Fain is a little like an aes sedai in the other things he can do, and Lan is just a swordsman. The last battle will have some grunt work with swordsman, but none would survive a fight against an Aes Sedai or any other worldly power.

So ... I vote, reluctantly, for Padan Fain.

#4 jkigndude

jkigndude
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:58 AM

ok...have to vote with Padan Fain on this one...when Lan fought Toram Raitin, he took wounds and if that happened with Fain, he would have died. But the 2 major factors would have to be Mashadar and Fain/Mordeth's ability to somehow project illusions.

#5 Corvinus

Corvinus
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:36 AM

Duty is heavier than a mountain, death is lighter than a feather.

Sorry Lan, you're my man, but I have to be realistic on this one.
Fain will get his due though, when he faces Moridin or Mat.

Edited by Corvinus, 30 January 2012 - 10:39 AM.

#6 Turin Turambar

Turin Turambar

DAGNIR GLARUNGA

• Members
  • 17,263 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:01 AM

Again, If Lan gets within 5 feet of Fain there will be little bitty bits of Padan lying about. He has demonstrated no ability as a warrior. He has some abilities that seem to allow him to deal with the dark one's creatures. I have seen no evidence that he has defeated anyone in a any sort of 1 on 1 battle.

All that said, no one can defeat Mashadar without the ability to channel.

It all depends on the setting.

Posted Image

M'Hael Emeritus-BTSG Double Bonded to Ithillian

#7 g o i

g o i
  • Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:45 AM

All that said, no one can defeat Mashadar without the ability to channel.

or is the luckest man alive aka mat carthon
but fain for the win sorry lan you may be a BAMF but you can't fight mashadar
http://dragcave.net/user/g_o_i
please help my dragons in the link above(if you want)
http://andrew-smith.mybrute.com
link above is for my brute since I found it fun
if you can't clean the crime scene then obliterate it
computer: Warning. Warning. Firearms detected.
Computer: Number of weapons found...
Computer: ...
Computer: many

#8 MatBloodyCauthon

MatBloodyCauthon
  • Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:47 PM

I'm also gonna have to go with Fain on this one but I so totally wanted to see Lan vs. Matt in the semifinals it would have been epic!!
Posted Image

#9 arianrose

arianrose
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:04 PM

Ugh. My antipathy for Fain is unmatched, but in order for Lan to win, he'd have to win completely unscathed. Any other opponent, and my money is on the stoic Warder for sure, but this one. One tiny scratch being fatal? I can't see him coming out on top without pulling a Paul Atreides-like miracle.

#10 Ishmael Forsaken

Ishmael Forsaken

Silly Sausage

• Banned
  • 10,013 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:13 PM

Damn you Dwy for not letting us see the Mat vs. Lan showdown. You just had to put him up against Fain didn't you....

......grumbles.....Fain wins. Darnit....

*kicks rock

EmpyMafia_zpse1720b82.jpg

Yellow Warder to Luciena ** Brother to WildTaltos

#11 mark

mark
  • Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:30 PM

lan runs away from "worms", else they kill him... fain runs towards them, to make sport out of killing them... enough said...

Posted Image

Brilliantly given the complex nickname of "Sam" by Aiel Heart

#12 Dwynwen

Dwynwen
  • Administrators
  • 6,735 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:42 PM

Damn you Dwy for not letting us see the Mat vs. Lan showdown. You just had to put him up against Fain didn't you....

......grumbles.....Fain wins. Darnit....

*kicks rock

We don't know that yet. The voting is pretty close at this moment in time.
White Ajah Aes Sedai...Bonded to BenT-Gaidin...Sis of Nia, MJF, and Mighte...Mentor of Many

#13 Nightstrike

Nightstrike
  • Members
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:26 AM

It depends on whether Fain will manage to sneak up on Lan. If he manages to get anywhere close, then I think Fain wins. If Lan notices, then I think he just might shoot him through the eye (or something like that). I think anyone would have a hard time surprising Lan.

I know Lan is a master with the sword. I just think he can handle other weapons too. He's probably a born fighter with any weapon.

Edited by Nightstrike, 31 January 2012 - 02:29 AM.

#14 Builder Tom

Builder Tom
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:41 AM

Lan would put up a good fight, but lose because of one mis-step, error, wind blowing, or some other asspect influenced by luck.
I think Mat v. Fain is the only real battle for these two. The luck they got from the dagger gives them an edge over all other opponents. Against each other, it would probably cancel out.

#15 Smittyphi

Smittyphi
  • Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:13 PM

Lan would put up a good fight, but lose because of one mis-step, error, wind blowing, or some other asspect influenced by luck.
I think Mat v. Fain is the only real battle for these two. The luck they got from the dagger gives them an edge over all other opponents. Against each other, it would probably cancel out.

Mat didn't get his luck from the dagger.

#16 Lenlo

Lenlo

Hastur

• Members
  • 11,321 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:24 PM

I hate to say it, Lan is amazing after all, but the best shot Lan has is a tie. Even if Padan suicides Lan and gets run through the chest, he could just nick him with a dagger before going down.

Geez, these fights are gettin hairy the further they go.

2D94cM2.gif

Mafia Games Played

Spoiler

#17 Entreri

Entreri
  • Members
  • 912 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:46 PM

Strictly sword vs. dagger fight, Lan 99% of the time.

Lan is insanely fast and a MUCH BETTER swordsman than #2 blademaster Rand. Rand did not take any wounds in his fight against Fain. Instead, Rand cut up Fain's face.

However, the current Fain will use Mashadar on Lan, Lan is toast.

Lan vs. Toram. Keep in mind that Toram is a true blademaster and was pretty close to Rand in skill/abilities.

Edited by Entreri, 31 January 2012 - 04:47 PM.

#18 Tyzack

Tyzack

Purity Of Essence

• DM - Staff
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:27 AM

Strictly sword vs. dagger fight, Lan 99% of the time.

Lan is insanely fast and a MUCH BETTER swordsman than #2 blademaster Rand. Rand did not take any wounds in his fight against Fain. Instead, Rand cut up Fain's face.

A bit off-topic, but weren't some rankins done for swordsmanship? I recall that Lan/Galad were at the top, rand was in the top 5/10 maybe, but not #2...

Self-Answered question:
"Lan, then Galad, Gawyn is luckier than he thinks he is."
Apparently rand was #2 before he had an unfornate incounter with a fireball.

Edited by Tyzack, 01 February 2012 - 12:59 PM.

Fleigt heim, ihr Raben!

Mandrake, in the name of her majesty and the continental congress, get over here and feed me this belt!

"If you are losing faith in human nature, go out and watch a marathon"
-Kathrine Switzer

"Bet on it!"

-President Barrak Obama 

#19 vanceme

vanceme
  • Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:43 AM

Sooo close. Fain ftw!

#20 78WARLOCK

78WARLOCK
  • Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:26 PM

lan runs away from "worms", else they kill him... fain runs towards them, to make sport out of killing them... enough said...

I would have to concur with this. I really like Lan, but seriously, Fain and that daggar !!! Without that little gem, Lan without a doubt.
"Tia avende alantin"