Photo

Week 3: Moridin vs. Logain

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

Poll: Week 3: Moridin vs. Logain (196 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Voted Moridin (156 votes [79.59%])

Percentage of vote: 79.59%

2. Logain (40 votes [20.41%])

Percentage of vote: 20.41%

Vote

#1 Dwynwen

Dwynwen
  • Administrators
  • 6,735 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:44 PM

Posted Image

Write-up by: Despothera

The Contestants

Logain Ablar
Race: human
Weapon: the One Power
Special: ability to see ta’veren

Ishamael/Moridin
Race: human
Weapon: the One Power
Special: Age of Legends knowledge

The Breakdown

Advantages
Logain: viewed by Min as destined for greatness, strong in the OP
Moridin: unequaled in strength and skill using saidin, can use the True Power

Disadvantages
Logain: overly dramatic
Moridin: tendency to monologue, used to others doing his dirty work for him

How we think the fight will go:

Stalking through the grounds of the Black Tower, Logain frowned at the severity of his surroundings. Gouts of flame continued to erupt in various parts, and rubble was strewn randomly throughout the area. Groups of bodies helped to create a pattern out of the destruction; it let you see where conflict had broken out during the fighting.

Logain continued to survey the remains of the place that he had begun to think of as a sort of home, albeit a temporary one. I'm too late, he thought grimly. If only I could have made it back just a bit sooner, I could have prevented some of...this. Trying to clear his head, Logain thought about what he could still do. He needed to find Rand, that was first and foremost.

He suspected that what he was looking at might not just be the aftermath of a terrible attack, but could also be an elaborate trap for Rand. Slinking through a dark doorway, he crouched down and waited as a small band of Trollocs ran past him, carrying a screaming Asha'man in their grasp. A woman walked behind the group, Aes Sedai by the ageless look on her face, no doubt a member of the Black Ajah. He had seen signs of their work throughout the area, and set his teeth as he watched another one go past him.

It would not be worth it to broadcast his location to his enemies, for now he needed to focus and make sure he found Rand before his enemies did. As he walked down the dark corridor, making sure to keep his footsteps light, he sought the room Rand would sometimes use when he visited the Tower. He realized he didn't sense any channeling coming from the room, and he didn't know whether to be comforted by that fact or not. Opening the door slowly with great care, he stepped inside and glanced back out in the hall as he closed the door, making sure no one was following him.

"You're not who I was expecting," a man said from the dark corner of the room.

Logain spun around, seizing the source as he identified the speaker. The man was close to Logain's height and dressed in a nondescript black coat and pants, although the cut looked very peculiar to Logain. The man seemed to be roughly the same age in appearance as Logain, but as Logain studied the man's eyes he got a sense that this individual had been around quite a much longer time than that.

Black specks floated across the surface of those eyes, and they stared back at Logain with a cold intensity. "Who are you?" Logain asked the man, still holding onto the chaotic surging of saidin.

"I have had many names throughout the centuries, but you may call me Moridin. I take it you are Logain, Lews Therin's little sidekick as it were. I can't imagine how someone who once named himself the Dragon Reborn could now be following in the steps of another man who claimed the same thing. Tell me, is that the reason for the angst I sense within you? You keep it bottled up well, I can tell, but eventually it will burst out of you and take control."

Logain was only half-listening at that point, as the man in front of him continued to ramble on. If what he said when he introduced himself was true, this person had to be one of the Forsaken, and had surely been attempting to set a trap for Rand. As the man continued to drone on, Logain began to weave quickly, hoping to get this Moridin off-balance right from the start.

An irritated look flashed across Moridin's face as he felt the Asha'man begin to form separate weaves with the One Power. He had felt Logain holding onto the Source the whole time, but figured the man would be civil enough not to interrupt Moridin when he was talking. With the slightest wave of his hands, the offensive weaves he had set much earlier suddenly snapped into action.

All at once, Logain was immediately blinded by a powerful blast of light directly in front of his face, and flows of Air wrapped themselves around Logain. He was lifted in the air several feet, and thick cords of Spirit instantly penetrated Logain's scalp.

Moridin shook his head as he looked at the helpless Asha'man. That should be Lews Therin wrapped in his snare, ready to once and for all see that the Shadow was the only way. He didn't want to drop Rand at the Great Lord's feet like he was some kind of trophy that could help gain them the Dark Lord's favor. He was above that peddling, that maneuvering.

He knew, however, that before all was said and done Lews Therin and him would have to settle their business together. They had fought each other since time immemorial, Champion of the Light against Champion of the Dark. And this buffoon had come blundering into the middle of Moridin's trap.

Moridin began forming a weave of compulsion, thinking of how he would use this tool against Lews Therin.

Logain was only just then recovering his sight, and he started to gain a sense of his surroundings again. He was bound head to foot with invisible ropes that no amount of struggling would loosen. Sensing another incoming weave, Logain lashed out wildly with flows of Spirit, cutting the weave apart before it could form. He was also able to cut the weaves that were holding him, and he collapsed on the floor in a heap.

The Forsaken snickered quietly as Logain tried to gather himself quickly, fueling Logain's newfound anger. Logain drew in as much saidin as he could hold and shaped a large flow of Spirit into an edged blade, casting it toward Moridin in a desperate attempt to cut off the Age of Legends channeler from the Source. Moridin initially buffeted his attack back at him, and Logain felt like he was trying to bottle an ocean of energy.

Not waiting for Moridin's counterattack, Logain quickly formed a weave combined of flows of Fire, Air, and Earth, letting it snap into place quickly before sending it out towards Moridin. Should any part of the weave touch Moridin, it would burst apart into hundreds of tiny needles that would burrow themselves deeply in Moridin before each exploded with a small amount of force.

Before the sprawling weave even got close to Moridin, however, multiple flows of Spirit spurted out from him and ripped his weave to shreds. Each separate tendril rebounded back into Logain, producing shudders from him even as he started to send out other attacks. Each one he sent out was cut before it came near to Moridin, and Logain hesitated, wondering if there was even a chance he could come out of this encounter alive.

"And you were doing so well, Logain!" Moridin said with a sneer.

Logain would not stand for being humiliated. He began launching almost every offensive weave he could think of at Moridin, gritting his teeth as he tried getting an attack by Moridin's defenses.

Moridin's sneer grew slightly larger as he cut through weave after weave from the Asha'man, letting the True Power surge through him in an exhilarating tidal wave of energy, suffusing his body with its comforting embrace. He felt the Great Lord of the Dark himself in its power, and he let himself bask in his glory.

He saw frustration mounting quickly on Logain's face, and knew his fun with the inexperienced male channeler was soon coming to an end.

He was surprised as Logain suddenly wove a Deathgate that was headed straight for Moridin. He would not have thought Logain would have knowledge of such a complex weave. He didn't have much time to think about it, however, as he had to hurry to get out of the Deathgate's path. Bracing himself as the Deathgate went rotating past, he started preparing some weaves to end this charade.

Looking back at Logain, he realized quickly that the Deathgate weave had been merely a feint. Logain held his hands in front of him, fingers spread out towards Moridin. Red beams of fire sprouted out from them and multiplied into dozens of different threads of Fire, all headed for Moridin in wild streaking motions.

Almost without thinking, Moridin wove the True Power into a defensive shield of Air, Spirit, and Earth. The Arrows of Fire weave began crashing against his shield, and each lancing of Fire arced out around his shield before being absorbed and channeled down into the base of his shield. Moridin was particularly proud of this weave; it acted like a lightning rod that absorbed oncoming projectiles made out of the One Power.

Moridin decided, however, that enough was enough. Logain watched as the last arrow of fire shot harmlessly into Moridin's shield, and his eyes enlarged somewhat as he saw the determined look on Moridin's face. He even started to grip the sword at his side, which almost made Moridin chuckle again.

Moridin brushed aside Logain's half-hearted attempts at new attacks, then surged his strength enough to viciously slide a shield down on Logain, who reacted to the sudden break in contact between the Source with a resigned sigh. Moridin was caught off guard once again when Logain suddenly sprang into motion, launching himself towards Moridin with the point of his blade extended out. Surprise only lasted momentarily, then a few simple flows of Air bound Logain once again.

"You know, Logain, you should be happy it was me that caught you and not one of the other Chosen. Had you been met by Semirhage or Graendal, you would likely not have found the glorious release of death for quite some time. I, however, am more merciful than that."

A small focal point of light appeared directly in front of Logain's forehead, and with a blood-curdling scream from the young Asha'man, it began to embed itself under his skin. Luckily, Moridin had tied off a weave which would block all sound coming out of the room; he would hate to spoil his surprise for Lews Therin. He focused and the point of light began to grow warmer underneath Logain's skin. With a shiver, Logain's eyes rolled in the back of his head.

Moridin studied Logain's last moments pensively, then engulfed the body in flames and lastly used Air to dispose of the ashes. He retreated back to the dark corner of the room, and waited for Lews Therin to show himself.

Predicted Winner: Moridin

You have until Saturday, February 4th at 9:00 p.m. PST to vote.
White Ajah Aes Sedai...Bonded to BenT-Gaidin...Sis of Nia, MJF, and Mighte...Mentor of Many

#2 Southpaw89

Southpaw89
  • Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:25 PM

by sheer strength Moridin would win but obviously other factors go into it. Maybe Moridin would trip and fall down and lose strength in his weave idk

#3 jkigndude

jkigndude
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:02 AM

yea not even close on this one...strength and vast experience since Ishmael/Moridin was the only one of the Forsaken who was not fully asleep when he was sealed

Edited by jkigndude, 30 January 2012 - 01:02 AM.

#4 Turin Turambar

Turin Turambar

DAGNIR GLARUNGA

• Members
  • 17,049 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:10 AM

Rand is "engaged" with Min distracting Moridin through their link, which allows Logain to kill him.

Posted Image

M'Hael Emeritus-BTSG Double Bonded to Ithillian

#5 Vanlan

Vanlan
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:25 AM

I'm not convinced that they aren't the same person.

#6 Tyzack

Tyzack

Purity Of Essence

• DM - Staff
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:01 PM

I'm not convinced that they aren't the same person.

If Tam had won the first round, we would have been able to learn the answer to that question...

Fleigt heim, ihr Raben!

Mandrake, in the name of her majesty and the continental congress, get over here and feed me this belt!

"If you are losing faith in human nature, go out and watch a marathon"
-Kathrine Switzer

"Bet on it!"

-President Barrak Obama 

#7 MegaZeroX

MegaZeroX
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:08 PM

There isn't much chance Logain could be Moridin since Moridin would channel the True Power which Logain would be completely unprepared for. Moridin would let Logain shield him from the True Power while he stills/shields/kills Logain.

#8 Torn Shadow

Torn Shadow
  • Members
  • 624 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:20 PM

Mega, a shield is confirmed to block the TP and the TS.

#9 Smittyphi

Smittyphi
  • Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:51 AM

Ishamael seems to fail at everything vs Light side.

Go Logain!

#10 Entreri

Entreri
  • Members
  • 912 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:42 PM

Logain would need surprise balefire.

Unless one is LTT (or DR), nobody else can defeat Ishamael.

#11 Tyzack

Tyzack

Purity Of Essence

• DM - Staff
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:39 AM

No balefire from logian in the match up? Its use would have startled morididin enough, maybe to catch him off guard.

Fleigt heim, ihr Raben!

Mandrake, in the name of her majesty and the continental congress, get over here and feed me this belt!

"If you are losing faith in human nature, go out and watch a marathon"
-Kathrine Switzer

"Bet on it!"

-President Barrak Obama 

#12 78WARLOCK

78WARLOCK
  • Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:35 PM

As much as I would like Logain to be victorious, just can't see it happening. Rand is a match for him but Logain is not as strong as the al'Thor boy. Although Logain would be a suprise to the fiend since he has learned some tricks from ole'Lord of the Morning.
"Tia avende alantin"

#13 Turin Turambar

Turin Turambar

DAGNIR GLARUNGA

• Members
  • 17,049 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:15 AM

Nice job on all the write ups Despot. My joke earlier aside I don't see Logain being able to match Ishy/Moridin.

Posted Image

M'Hael Emeritus-BTSG Double Bonded to Ithillian

#14 Despothera

Despothera

Slappa DaBassman

• Members
  • 16,417 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:22 AM

Yeah I agree, sadly Logain would have little chance of even gaining a slight advantage against Moridin. Strength only accoutns for so much, and Logain doesn't have any special 'angreal or secret WTFPWN abilities. His taveren-seeing ability is nice, but it mainly seems like it's there so he can see through Taim's ruse later on.

This was a little tough to write, because honestly I don't get the sense that Moridin would tease or taunt or toy with anyone like this; Ishamael was a monologuer, but Moridin is pretty much all business. He learned from his mistakes.

despoabba_zps44e64520.gif
Signups are now OPEN for what will hopefully be a momentous mafia event. Don't miss out!

#15 Dwynwen

Dwynwen
  • Administrators
  • 6,735 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:04 PM

Voting is now over, and the winner is...

Moridin!
White Ajah Aes Sedai...Bonded to BenT-Gaidin...Sis of Nia, MJF, and Mighte...Mentor of Many